SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
They've acted really quickly, sending an announcement round to everyone and going straight into lockdown with police on the street. My mother-in-law has more food in the house than anyone I know, so they could last years on those supplies.

Spam?

Yik

This may be simplistic but isn't it a case (for each country) to ensure a successful lockdown / social isolation period for a few months, and simultaneously ensure strict border control. There is apparently a testing device which can quickly (within 15 minutes) diagnose it, that could be used at airports/border crossings. Airline traffic is going to be massively impacted and slow anyways. In fact, I think to avoid the rest of the economy from being completely shut down, it could even be sacrificed entirely for a few months.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Is anyone else still going in the office like I am? They have split us all up and allowed half to work from home but as I'm relatively newer member of the team where I work....I'm still coming in. I don't really mind either. I'd hate to be stuck inside at home.
I'm still coming in will do so until I'm told not to, people with underlying health problems have been told to work from home. I'm just glad I'm a civil servant at times like these.

Unfortunately the father of a friend of my wife died yesterday.

Had likely symptoms but also had underlying health issues. Friend been told they'll record death under that generic phrase they use for breathing (or lack of).

To be honest, if it was me/my parents, I probably wouldn't be arsed about a load of tests to give me a definitive reason. Wouldn't change anything?
Sorry to hear about that.

I wouldn't be too bothered either but i understand the necessity to understand the true fatality rate of this virus. I think it is just getting beyond the capacity of health services to test everyone and everything.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm still coming in will do so until I'm told not to, people with underlying health problems have been told to work from home. I'm just glad I'm a civil servant at times like these.
Yeah same with us. Anyone with health issues or living with people at high risk were made priority. The rest seems to have been done on who has been here longest bar a few directors. They've stayed behind for obvious reasons. That system could possibly upset some but I'm grateful for getting out for now as I imagine lockdown is coming for us all so the time I can get out now is precious to me. Our office have been taking precautions obviously but nobody seems to be panicked or worried at all.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What supermarkets should do is make up hampers of food & basics for different sizes of families and sell them instead of individual items for now. That will keep it fair
I would go so far as to get them to close doors completely and only do home deliveries. It would also generate more jobs for people if they got delivery drivers in who are likely currently out of work.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Basically in my place of work, if you've got someone at home who is high risk like I have, my choice is statutory sick leave, unpaid leave, annual leave or quit. I work in hospitals across Northern Ireland.

I would imagine most places would be the same.

I normally have 12 weeks full sick pay, but if I where to take off it wouldn't be because I'm sick
My wife is a civil servant in Dublin
Her choices are:
Special leave if you don’t have childcare
Use your annual leave
Unpaid leave

I’m at home in the at risk category- heart disease, high bp, diabetes, low immune

So unless they can come up with a new solution she will stay at home on unpaid leave. I don’t have a job as I got paid off in December so we will live off my €203 pw job seekers and the bit of redundancy I have left

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why this wasn’t done weeks ago...

Camilo

Asda said from 6 to 9am it was supposed to be elderly and said others should stay away if they can. Yet these people came and staff got overwhelmed. It’s hard to control this amount of people. Supermarket security can’t do shit. They even dare touch someone they could lose their job. Time for military and police to be in these shops. Limited people in shop and one of each item for every person.
Yet again the public refuse/are unable to take responsibility. It's fecking pathetic really. There's no shortages, life is actually continuing to go on relatively normally actually, no food shops are actually going to close anyway regardless of the situation (because obviously we need to eat) and at the end of the day most of these people are young and healthy and have little to worry about.

It's truly pathetic.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I was thinking they myself but logistically how possible is it?
Very possible, surely? Think of all the delivery drivers with lorries just sitting around doing nothing right now. Staff in the supermarkets themselves could be moved around to pick up the items and it's less risk for them too.

Right now in Italy there are supposedly queues for hours outside supermarkets because only a few people can enter in at a time. That's very likely to happen here, too. Even if more deliveries didn't completely stop people going to the supermarkets it would at least ease the burden.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They did the same in Ireland last week, when school closures were announced. Turns out there’s only so much people can panic buy and the supplies keep on coming. You can expect shelves to look less and less bare as the days go by.
Same here. Couldn't buy any meat or fish end of last week, everything is in order now and there are almost no people in supermarkets because everyone has a ton of food at home. I have enough food at home to get through 3-4 weeks comfortably. If I restricted myself to aglio e olio with chorizo, garlic and pepper I could probably survive 2 weeks on my supplies and that's quite tasty to be honest.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Anyone heard anything new about potential UK lockdown?

I've read London could be imminent as a lot more cases there, but no idea on the rest of the country.

Daughter at Uni in Leeds and plans to come home "soon" (idiot, I told her to come home before now but doesn't listen to a word I say :rolleyes:). Will probably have to walk out of work at short notice at this rate and drive up to get her. Guessing if lockdown announced, will be short notice and can see major roads heaving as everyone goes to wherever.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are still in beginning of the curve , which makes the question very pertinent.
Yeah but that doesn't mean everything should close right now, it should be progressive.

Very possible, surely? Think of all the delivery drivers with lorries just sitting around doing nothing right now. Staff in the supermarkets themselves could be moved around to pick up the items and it's less risk for them too.

Right now in Italy there are supposedly queues for hours outside supermarkets because only a few people can enter in at a time. That's very likely to happen here, too. Even if more deliveries didn't completely stop people going to the supermarkets it would at least ease the burden.
Yeah if you were using other available lorries/vans ect, just take a lot of planning to make sure everyone was covered.

Munkehboi

Day off today from work, think I needed it. So to reflect on a stressful working week:

Moved to ED at the start of the week to triage suspected corona patients for one day. Only had about 13 patients that came in but admitted none into hospital. Wasn't very busy in ED overall even though they had a few self isolating staff, quite clear people were staying away from the hospital. Needless to say, no tests were done. I suspect at least 1 I saw had it but we sent that person home. My PPE was a joke, only normal apron, gloves and face mask.

Went back to work in my usual area, acute medical on Tues and Wed. Total nightmare. Very short staffed, loads are isolating or being moved to the newly established corona areas. Very unsafe for patients and staff. My area is being treated as a dumping ground for all medical patients to free up ICU for covid-19 patients. All their step down patients are coming to my ward and essentially I have spent two days looking after some very ill patients. Two more HCA's phone in to tell us will be self isolating.

We are constantly being pressured to discharge the medically fit however, over the last couple of days we have found care/residential homes have been refusing to accept their residents back due to fear of covid-19. So essentially we had 48 hours of bed blocking. Thats how long it took managment, bed bureau and discharge team to sort out this mess and some are still refusing. We are having to give food packages to elderly patients being discharged home due to the stockpiling as well. Ambulance transport are short on staff as well so moving people out of hospital is becoming more difficult.

Going back to the dicussion about social isolation, until you have to care and look after those affected by isolation, you will never understand the detrimental complications, mentally, socially and medically it has to a persons' health. It pains me everytime I see an elderly patient come in (all the time), likely demetnia, cardiac failure, acute kidney injury etc etc etc. Most of all, no quality of life, family don't care because they are too busy. It's almost seems cruel to keep these people alive. And do you know what? That's probably 80% of the population of my patients. Some families absolutly disgust me, treating their so called loved ones as a burden and expect the NHS to pick up the flack. They also have the gall to complain about their care whilst they have probably done nothing for them since kicking them into care homes and visiting them once a week.

We have limited visitors to one 'key' individual per patient, its all over the hospital coridoors and ward areas yet families of 3-5 are coming up during visiting hours (also restricted). I've had two instances where they have argued with me on this and I have to explain it's to decrease the overall traffic of the hospital for infection control yet they think it's overly excessive and that the whole family has the right to visit their loved ones.

So essentially, front of house (ED and ICU) is rather quiet, they even had nice deliveries from fast food chains and had time to enjoy a snack. Whilst the wards are desperatly trying to find staff and keep patients safe. It's getting silly now. The NHS managment and governement have got no handle on this situation what so ever. I have colleauges crying in the staff room and others just wanting to quit altogether. T

Sorry for the wall of text, this is how I de-stress from work and not go insane. Rant over.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think UK has changed it strategy. Your chief scientific advisor ( who I must say is quite impressive gentleman) explained clearly what he thinks is the best way forward. It's just the backlash from people who see what other country is doing and Imperial College model ( who knows how accurate it is) forced the government to take some measure to arrest public anger.
The UK government modelling was based on one flawed paper about a totally different virus. They completely ignored all the learning and work done by the Chinese and WHO and decided they were cleverer than everyone else. Since that time they've been slowly having to U-turn on just about everything they've said. And what's more the media and other deferential types like you have only made excuses for them. They fecked up and they should take the blame for the thousands of extra deaths they have caused.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Day off today from work, think I needed it. So to reflect on a stressful working week:

Moved to ED at the start of the week to triage suspected corona patients for one day. Only had about 13 patients that came in but admitted none into hospital. Wasn't very busy in ED overall even though they had a few self isolating staff, quite clear people were staying away from the hospital. Needless to say, no tests were done. I suspect at least 1 I saw had it but we sent that person home. My PPE was a joke, only normal apron, gloves and face mask.

Went back to work in my usual area, acute medical on Tues and Wed. Total nightmare. Very short staffed, loads are isolating or being moved to the newly established corona areas. Very unsafe for patients and staff. My area is being treated as a dumping ground for all medical patients to free up ICU for covid-19 patients. All their step down patients are coming to my ward and essentially I have spent two days looking after some very ill patients. Two more HCA's phone in to tell us will be self isolating.

We are constantly being pressured to discharge the medically fit however, over the last couple of days we have found care/residential homes have been refusing to accept their residents back due to fear of covid-19. So essentially we had 48 hours of bed blocking. Thats how long it took managment, bed bureau and discharge team to sort out this mess and some are still refusing. We are having to give food packages to elderly patients being discharged home due to the stockpiling as well. Ambulance transport are short on staff as well so moving people out of hospital is becoming more difficult.

Going back to the dicussion about social isolation, until you have to care and look after those affected by isolation, you will never understand the detrimental complications, mentally, socially and medically it has to a persons' health. It pains me everytime I see an elderly patient come in (all the time), likely demetnia, cardiac failure, acute kidney injury etc etc etc. Most of all, no quality of life, family don't care because they are too busy. It's almost seems cruel to keep these people alive. And do you know what? That's probably 80% of the population of my patients. Some families absolutly disgust me, treating their so called loved ones as a burden and expect the NHS to pick up the flack. They also have the gall to complain about their care whilst they have probably done nothing for them since kicking them into care homes and visiting them once a week.

We have limited visitors to one 'key' individual per patient, its all over the hospital coridoors and ward areas yet families of 3-5 are coming up during visiting hours (also restricted). I've had two instances where they have argued with me on this and I have to explain it's to decrease the overall traffic of the hospital for infection control yet they think it's overly excessive and that the whole family has the right to visit their loved ones.

So essentially, front of house (ED and ICU) is rather quiet, they even had nice deliveries from fast food chains and had time to enjoy a snack. Whilst the wards are desperatly trying to find staff and keep patients safe. It's getting silly now. The NHS managment and governement have got no handle on this situation what so ever. I have colleauges crying in the staff room and others just wanting to quit altogether. T

Sorry for the wall of text, this is how I de-stress from work and not go insane. Rant over.
Shit, well bless you mate and hope the shitshow at the top changes course in time to prevent the worst of it. Football Manager is free on Steam apparently, maybe worth a download for your day off!

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart

Feel free to rant whenever you want here.
The least we can do here is to listen to you
So keep up the good work. And best wishes.

Just as an addition:
From what I've heard, that was the same in Italy, they had a few very quiet days in the ED and new Corona Departments as preparations were made. But then the storm hit.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Is there anything we can do? Sounds abysmal. Really do admire you guys having worked in a hospital for 2 years on and off as IT Contractors.

Withnail

The last paragraph, they are clearly asking that very question.

Asymptomatic infections were not uncommon. Determination of the transmission potential of these asymptomatic patients is important for guiding the development of measures to control the ongoing pandemic.

I have no idea but plenty of other people have asked the question, if you have kids you know how easily they catch and spread every infection under the sun, clearly they is something going on with COVID 19 and children.

As for the dying thing there have been children born with Covid 19 only to be clear of it hours later.
It's not specific to kids though. The younger you are the less severe your symptoms are.

There was a graphic recently that showed that a large proportion of people under 29 who tested positive where asymptomatic.

Given how quickly the virus is spreading I'd be erring on the side of the asymptomatic being carriers, certainly with regard to policy around attempting to contain this thing.

golden_blunder

Staff
I would go so far as to get them to close doors completely and only do home deliveries. It would also generate more jobs for people if they got delivery drivers in who are likely currently out of work.
Would take time;
Hygiene rules - they’d have to use company vans?
Vetting the drivers etc?

golden_blunder

Staff

Thanks for your dedication and work. No need to say sorry for getting it off your chest

Maticmaker

Yeah my parents are nonchalant as feck about it, same sentiment as your Aunt. It's incredibly annoying. I guess they've both lived through a lot of hard times so who can begrudge them wanted to make the most of what they have now .. or something .. the dopes.
Obviously I don't know your parents but I'm in my mid 70's and understand where they might be coming from.

If you are generally healthy in your seventies, and no serious health conditions, you might consider yourself lucky; however most of my friends (including me, pacemaker fitted) have something wrong, heart, diabetes , breathing problems, stomach issues, etc. then you don't really want to admit to yourself and especially your family that you are living on borrowed time i.e. three-score years plus ten (over 70).

Most parents, even when they are old and doddering still want to try to protect their children (because that is what you still are to them) from stress and worry they have probably always tried to set an example, of 'head held high, back straight and bags of swank... its a vanity thing they don't want you to think they might have 'feet of clay'. Most of us in this age group now know that the bulk of our lives are behind us, it becomes difficult (even without COVID-19) to think much beyond a few months, certainly a few years ahead. Its not that we feel in-destructible its just that there is an inevitability looming. What might appear reckless behaviour or state of mind in the old is probably really just a desperate attempt to deal with something that in any case is closer than they would want.

Call it reckless, uncaring, stupid etc. it is unlikely to make much difference. Encourage your parents as much as you can to take basic precautions. If all else fails remind them of what the bible says " When I was young I put on my belt and sandals and went where I pleased, now I am old someone else puts on my belt and takes me where I don't want to go" That might change their mind and to listen to your advice... good luck with that!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Would take time;
Hygiene rules - they’d have to use company vans?
Vetting the drivers etc?
I think we may see a lot/most Uber and regular taxi drivers switch to this in the next couple of weeks - therefore most vetting done. On hygiene/vehicles more 24 hour deliveries will be a possibility. They'll need to recruit extra cleaners, shift workers as well.