SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Mostly schools/non-essentials closed. Restaurants are take out/delivery only.

Parts of the country will be able to weather it easier than others, but the places with busy airports (Atlanta, Denver, etc) will have problems and NYC, Louisiana, and Detroit (for some reason?) are fecked and their hospitals will be strained to the max if they aren‘t already.
Being such a large country some places will escape the worst but as you said, the densely populated areas are in for a heavy hit.
Almost everything is closed, and while people are supposed to stay home, I don't think it is as strict as in Italy for example.
Unfortunately some people still refuse to take this seriously all over, not just America.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So back from Thailand.

Just went out to shops for first time and was quite startled how people were looking very suspiciously at each other, actively avoiding each other when walking, and generally being very careful.

Of course it’s good that Government requirements are being met, but I am intrigued/worried about the longer terms effects of this new enforced behaviour. It feels like the first stage on one of the zombie movies.

Who knows how this will play out!

Revan

Assumptionman
Trump expects 100k new ventilators to be built over the next 100 days. Probably not gonna do much for this wave, but it should help US a lot for the next wave.

Balljy

Bigger country, and much more testing going on than in any other country. I don't think it is worse than in big European countries.
To be fair China has 4 times the population of the US and the US has more cases. Although this was limited to Wuhan it shows how what they did works (for now). In terms of the most testing, in total numbers I'm not sure but per capita it is definitely not. New York is close to Korea which is leading the world in testing but most other states are well behind.

Darkhorsez

So back from Thailand.

Just went out to shops for first time and was quite startled how people were looking very suspiciously at each other, actively avoiding each other when walking, and generally being very careful.

Of course it’s good that Government requirements are being met, but I am intrigued/worried about the longer terms effects of this new enforced behaviour. It feels like the first stage on one of the zombie movies.

sorry to say - you should have really self-quarantined for 14 days before going out.

starman

Jeez, for the people wishing death on Boris is one thing :rolleyes:
But you guys should be aware that Raab is a far more terrifying prospect as PM

And for the grass is greener brigade, on the flipside, in another universe we could have ended up with Diane Abbott as PM....

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sky News were pushing the 10th case FT log graph with UK tracking with Italy but this other graph and real numbers are more accurate and shows where we know China was, Spain is, Italy etc.

[/CENTER]
UK Dates​
UK Deaths​
Italy Dates​
Italy Deaths​
Spain Dates​
Spain Deaths​
France Dates​
France Deaths​
March 8th​
3​
Feb 23rd​
3​
March 5th​
3​
March 2nd​
3​
March 9th​
5​
Feb 24th​
7​
March 6th​
8​
March 3rd​
4​
March 10th​
6​
Feb 25th​
11​
March 7th​
10​
March 4th​
4​
March 11th​
8​
Feb 26th​
12​
March 8th​
17​
March 5th​
7​
March 12th​
10​
Feb 27th​
17​
March 9th​
30​
March 6th​
9​
March 13th​
11​
Feb 28th​
21​
March 10th​
36​
March 7th​
16​
March 14th​
21​
Feb 29th​
29​
March 11th​
55​
March 8th​
19​
March 15th​
35​
March 1st​
41​
March 12th​
86​
March 9th​
30​
March 16th​
55​
March 2nd​
52​
March 13th​
133​
March 10th​
33​
March 17th​
71​
March 3rd​
79​
March 14th​
196​
March 11th​
48​
March 18th​
104​
March 4th​
107​
March 15th​
294​
March 12th​
61​
March 19th​
144​
March 5th​
148​
March 16th​
342​
March 13th​
79​
March 20th​
177​
March 6th​
197​
March 17th​
533​
March 14th​
91​
March 21st​
233​
March 7th​
233​
March 18th​
638​
March 15th​
127​
March 22nd​
281​
March 8th​
366​
March 19th​
833​
March 16th​
148​
March 23rd​
335​
March 9th​
463​
March 20th​
1,093​
March 17th​
175​
March 24th​
422​
March 10th​
631​
March 21st​
1,381​
March 18th​
244​
March 25th​
468​
March 11th​
827​
March 22nd​
1,813​
March 19th​
372​
March 26th​
578​
March 12th​
1,016​
March 23rd​
2,207​
March 20th​
450​
March 27th​
759​
March 13th​
1,266​
March 24th​
2,696​
March 21st​
562​
March 14th​
1,441​
March 25th​
3,434​
March 22nd​
674​
March 15th​
1,809​
March 26th​
4,145​
March 23rd​
860​
March 16th​
2,158​
March 27th​
4,858​
March 24th​
1100​
March 17th​
2,503​
March 25th​
1331​
March 26th​
1,696​

I suspect with our poor resources and less ICU than Italy we could be worse than Italy or start to track them but we aren't currently.
Yeah in terms of deaths the UK's still much closer to France on the trajectory.

Interactive version here

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
How long do we think that people in the UK will accept being "locked down"?
Wait till figures are the same as Italy’s and all that toilet roll will come in handy as they won’t leave the toilet, let alone the house.
Wait till the lock-down is the same as Italy's, then people will really feel the pressure. What the UK has now still gives people the opportunity to move around a fair bit and there seems to be little proper enforcement.

Amarsdd

very interesting video and visualizations by 3Blue1Brown on the spread of the pandemic and how effective are some measures to slow and stop them

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair China has 4 times the population of the US and the US has more cases. Although this was limited to Wuhan it shows how what they did works (for now). In terms of the most testing, in total numbers I'm not sure but per capita it is definitely not. New York is close to Korea which is leading the world in testing but most other states are well behind.
I don't trust China's numbers at all, though it is absolutely true that China's response (after the first month when they fecked it up) was really good and they more or less solved their problem (at least for the short term).

The US is doing now more than 100k testings per day (which to a large degree it is why the number of infected has increased so much). It is bad, but I actually think at the moment it is better than Spain/Italy/France.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
So back from Thailand.

Shouldn't you be quarantined?

Ludens the Red

Yep. I wonder how many of those out 'clapping' last night voted for the party that has regimentally stripped this NHS to its bare bones over the past decade? But at least they'r doing their bit, right, out clapping in the street? Part of something. Part of a cause. Don't make me fecking laugh.

I saw a good tweet earlier, 'in germany we applaud our health service by adequately funding them' or similar. Boris out there clapping was an absolute travesty. A complete travesty.
Devils advocate time but seeing stuff like this a lot on here and online but the NHS was on a downward spiral in the labour years, no?

Oldyella

Trump will surely get covid19 very soon given he has to meet so many people.

His age, obesity and other underlying health problems must surely make him one of most vulnerable people on planet?

I’ve never wished anyone dead and won’t start now. I’m just saying ...
The worst thing that could happen for US would be trump getting it. If he recovered from it that would be it, he would be trying to open everything back up as he would think it was no big deal.

Balljy

I don't trust China's numbers at all, though it is absolutely true that China's response (after the first month when they fecked it up) was really good and they more or less solved their problem (at least for the short term).

The US is doing now more than 100k testings per day (which to a large degree it is why the number of infected has increased so much). It is bad, but I actually think at the moment it is better than Spain/Italy/France.
It's the percentage of the population that's important, not the number.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/27/coronavirus-testing-us/

Heardy

If / when we come out the other size of this, this is surely going to lead to a revolutionary change in the NHS?! This is highlighting huge gaps in funding and facilities that politicians can’t gloss over going forward.

Darkhorsez

very interesting video and visualizations by 3Blue1Brown on the spread of the pandemic and how effective are some measures to slow and stop them
Thanks - interesting. Just shows how difficult it is to know when and how we can exit from this mess. It really depends on how we are on doing what we can. Wash hands - avoid unnecessary trips etc.

LordNinio

sorry to say - you should have really self-quarantined for 14 days before going out.
Unless the advice changed, you only have to quarantine if you feel symptoms. Automatic quarantine was only for people returning from China and Italy. This could have changed in the past few days though.

I was keeping an eye on this, as I was supposed to be going to Thailand as part of a trip at the end of April, and wanted to know the situation.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've not specifically been told that people returning from overseas should enforce 'quarantine' and what that exactly entails. Was certainly not given any instructions at airport or from Government since.

I'm really not sure what the protocol is and for whom. It's the only time I went out as I needed to buy some food essentials. But if you're right, thanks for pointing out, and will strictly enforce from now on.

I think there is a communications issue here in UK. ie: quarantine vs self isolation vs social isolation vs physical distancing; what each actually entails and for whom it's applicable.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

How long do we think that people in the UK will accept being "locked down"?
They know this. Hence they've adopted an incremental approach since day one, to minimise resistance and control the situation as calmly as possible.

"Take it on the chin"/herd immunity > some measures > slightly stronger measures > lockdown-ish.

The same will apply for lockdown itself.

"3 weeks and constant reviewing" > 3 more weeks > setting a deadline for lockdown to release which is 2 weeks away.

So basically, an 8week quarantine/lockdown. Same as some other countries. But try telling our population on day 1 they're locked down for 2months. Slow, steady increments while dangling a carrot is the way forward.

Devils advocate time but seeing stuff like this a lot on here and online but the NHS was on a downward spiral in the labour years, no?
Yeah, you're right, but not to this extent (past 5-10 years).

If / when we come out the other size of this, this is surely going to lead to a revolutionary change in the NHS?! This is highlighting huge gaps in funding and facilities that politicians can’t gloss over going forward.

Gun to head?
I think the opposite. One thing world governments do is use a catastrophe to their advantage. If they can slip in a new rule or restriction to favour them, they will.
This is a government that was strongly rumoured to be trying to bring in private healthcare while consistently underfunding the NHS.

What is more likely? Be honest here

A) Boris coming out and essentially saying "We were wrong all along. This crisis has proven how vital our NHS is. We have screwed up, here."
B) Boris coming out and saying "as proud as we are, this has been proof of how inadequate and inefficient a public health service is. Private healthcare and the funding it would bring, would have nailed this virus">

Sorry, but it's B.

Darkhorsez

Unless the advice changed, you only have to quarantine if you feel symptoms. Automatic quarantine was only for people returning from China and Italy. This could have changed in the past few days though.

I was keeping an eye on this, as I was supposed to be going to Thailand as part of a trip at the end of April, and wanted to know the situation.
It’s just common sense. Travel accounts for a lot of chance for infection. You don’t have to show symptoms to be infected. You will be infecting others unknowingly. If you travel you should self-quarantine - no buts. It’s the right thing to do.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wait till the lock-down is the same as Italy's, then people will really feel the pressure. What the UK has now still gives people the opportunity to move around a fair bit and there seems to be little proper enforcement.
I think that we might avoid that. The measures in place have come late but not too late as to warrant us moving into a full lockdown. It would take something really drastic, like a total moron coming back from someplace like, oh I dunno, let's say Thailand, and just immediately wandering around town instead of self isolating for two weeks. But I don't think anyone is as stupid as to do something as dumb as that.

So back from Thailand.

ffs

nimic

something nice
Scout
:lol: :lol: What would you say if I was right?
Mate, anorexia isn't just "she looks a bit thin, innit?" It's a serious medical diagnosis with a lot of different factors. The idea that fergieisold off the internet can look at her Facebook and conclude "yep, definitely anorexia" is patently absurd. Maybe she did have anorexia. Maybe she had something else. Maybe she had some completely unrelated heart condition. Speculating based on the Facebook profile of a dead girl is more than a bit pointless. We can't know.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It’s just common sense. Travel accounts for a lot of chance for infection. You don’t have to show symptoms to be infected. You will be infecting others unknowingly. If you travel you should self-quarantine - no buts. It’s the right thing to do.
Sorry, but 'common sense' wont do here; different people have different standards of 'common sense'.

I'm now very confused and need specific Government guidance, which I'll gladly enforce and follow. Please show me that.

Darkhorsez

I'm really not sure what the protocol is and for whom. It's the only time I went out as I needed to buy some food essentials. But if you're right, thanks for pointing out, and will strictly enforce from now on.

I've not specifically been told that people returning from overseas should enforce 'quarantine' and what that exactly entails. Was certainly not given any instructions at airport or from Government since.

I think there is a communisations issue here in UK. ie: quarantine vs self isolation vs social isolation vs physical distancing, what each actually entails and for whom it's applicable.
Fair enough on communication. I had an employee who was in Florida and returned to Canada. She and all her family family are in self quarantine now. Their friends buy their essentials for them. I know that might be dififcult for many people. But we all have to do what is needed to get out of this freaking nightmare.

LordNinio

I didn't say he shouldn't do it. I just pointed out that the government advice doesn't say they have to. In fact, it was quite clear on the fact that you didn't need to.

I agree, it makes sense to, but you can't tell someone they're in the wrong for following government advice.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fair enough on communication. I had an employee who was in Florida and returned to Canada. She and all her family family are in self quarantine now. Their friends buy their essentials for them. I know that might be dififcult for many people. But we all have to do what is needed to get out of this freaking nightmare.
I've no problem enduring difficulty and happy to join the collective nightmare... I've simply not been told by Government to enter strict quarantine.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yes, we have a quarantine act that's always in effect if you return to Canada and look seriously ill but due to COVID-19 it's been publicly stated that if you return to Canada from abroad you must self-quarantine for 14 days. If you're caught breaking this you face fines and possibly jail time.

My sister was working in the US and came back before the order but her employer instructed her to self quarantine for 14 days.

Smores

People need to calm down with the trajectories as if it's a fecking competition. There's very little use in looking at them as the speed in early accelerations will differ so pick you can pick whatever arbitrary point you want to alter the lines.

The only important bit is when each country starts to flatten.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think that we might avoid that. The measures in place have come late but not too late as to warrant us moving into a full lockdown. It would take something really drastic, like a total moron coming back from someplace like, oh I dunno, let's say Thailand, and just immediately wandering around town instead of self isolating for two weeks. But I don't think anyone is as stupid as to do something as dumb as that.
Again, please show me instructions from our Government where Im asked to quarantine!

LordNinio

Sorry, but 'common sense' wont do here; different people have different standards of 'common sense'.

I'm now very confused and need specific Government guidance, which I'll gladly enforce and follow.
Until we went into lock down the was a government page listing countries into two categories, category one was mainly China and Italy, anyone returning from these counties had to go into self isolation no matter what.

Category 2 countries included most of Asia, including Thailand, for these countries you were advised to keep a close eye on yourself and self isolate at the first signs of any illness. Which was / is basically the advice for everyone anyway.

The site got taken down recently, so I don't know the advice as of today.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Until we went into lock down the was a government page listing countries into two categories, category one was mainly China and Italy, anyone returning from these counties had to go into self isolation no matter what.

Category 2 countries included most of Asia, including Thailand, for these countries you were advised to keep a close eye on yourself and self isolate at the first signs of any illness. Which was / is basically the advice for everyone anyway.

The site got taken down recently, so I don't know the advice as of today.
Thats also what I was aware of, the day I left Thailand, but according to experts above, I'm not following Government advice.

Darkhorsez

I've no problem enduring difficulty and happy to join the collective nightmare... I've simply not been told by Government to enter strict quarantine.
Yeah we really need a more broader set of communication and protocol across the world. I hear you. But really looking at how infectious this virus is and the tricky nature of it - I hope everyone just does what they can to minimize it’s spread. I have 2 teenagers at home. One gets it. The other thinks it’s ok to go and see his girlfriend the odd day. It is stressing all of us out!

F-Red

Trump stating that he had a call with Boris Johnson and said the first thing he said before hello was ‘We need ventilators’. Taking it with a pinch of salt. (Source - BBC Live story on Covid19)