SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Foxbatt

Totally agree but that’s been going on for donkeys years and not only in the U.K.
I know it's a different topic but what has happened to the world statesmen that we used to have?
It's also these kind of times that we need them.

Foxbatt

I think half of the death toll is due to the health care system not being able to cope.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Deaths in Sweden rising rapidly. Stupid, unnecessary, yet completely predictable. Probably one of the last countries were I would have expected to see this, but there it is.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Saw Larry David trending and my heart dropped. Thankfully, he's just released a great video:

Arruda

Supports
Porto
@Regulus Arcturus Black compare Sweden's trajectory with Portugal. Similar population, and Portugal has a culture a lot more similar to Spain and Italy (this was alluded by someone as relevant, don't remember if it was you)...

You have quite fewer cases (less testing) yet your deaths seem to be climbing more rapidly and getting away from our numbers. I find that very concerning.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Yes but NBC exercises require constant use. Presumably in his plan (daft as it is) you could take it off at times. I can remember trying to drink with my NBC mask on. It was fecking ridiculous hooking the pipe up from the mask to my water bottle.
True I do see your point and he wouldn't be using anywhere near as much as I or yourself has. Oh and yeah the pipe to water bottle urgh.

vodrake

4,324 new cases
563 deaths

The acceleration is scary over the past couple of days

Full bodied red

It's when it happens to someone we ' know ' that the full severity of what's happening really hits home.

I really hope the light at the end of the tunnel is being able to go on holiday to France in August! Time will tell.
Other way round for us - we desperately want to be able to go to the UK to see our first grandchild while she's still a baby. Last saw her in early February, when she was five months old, but it feels much, much longer than that and don't want to even think that it could be another three or four months before it's sufficiently safe for us to go there or for our daughter and son-in-law to come here.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The sad thing is that this has hit the world when the collective leadership is at an all time low . There should have been a better global response to this but thanks to people like Trump it was made to seem like a joke . Now the world will see millions die . What is crazy is that even now some people with good following keep writing and talking about flu and diarrhea deaths to compare with this

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It will be nearly impossible. A combination of driver shortages due to illness leading to fewer trains and more stations which are closed as well as an increasing number of people. I think the advice will be to stay at home but the "lockdown" will be over - so it would be a lockdown in all but name. People will still go out walking and sitting in parks, but this will not put as much a strain on the NHS compared to allowing non-keyworkers to travel to work. Once the NHS overcomes the increase due to people walking and going to parks, they could gradually introduce some non-keyworkers, but again, via a staggered release.
Yep that sounds very likely and I'm sure social pressures could be put on company bosses so they look like cnuts if they don't let their staff continue working from home while it calms now.
Yeah potentially it's challenging but they have the time to do it. I'm not a programmer or anything, but it just just seems like an additional validation

i.e. does this person have the correct amount of credit to get on the tube / if yes / does this person have a pass certificate / if yes proceed or if not then deny entry.

Programming unlimited transfers within an hour is definitely a more challenging logic than that.
Another issue with that idea is that I'm not sure what percentage of tube journeys are paid for with Oyster cards tbh- many people use their bank card now and others buy physical tickets still.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

4,324 new cases
563 deaths

The acceleration is scary over the past couple of days
It's basically a double blow with more and more people becoming symptomatic and the hospitals filling up . This is exactly what happened in Italy. We were told in our hospital that peak is expected around Easter so scary to think what that would be like

@Regulus Arcturus Black compare Sweden's trajectory with Portugal. Similar population, and Portugal has a culture a lot more similar to Spain and Italy (this was alluded by someone as relevant, don't remember if it was you)...

You have quite fewer cases (less testing) yet your deaths seem to be climbing more rapidly and getting away from our numbers. I find that very concerning.
Remember the lag, we’ll know much more in 10 days.

prateik

USA is going to cross 200k cases today.. might even be the first to hit 1k deaths/day ..

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The figures are particularly bad here in my part of Wales (worst figures in the country) but all I see is people behaving well & staying indoors - streets are deserted.

Skills

Snitch
It's basically a double blow with more and more people becoming symptomatic and the hospitals filling up . This is exactly what happened in Italy. We were told in our hospital that peak is expected around Easter so scary to think what that would be like
That sounds about right. Worth remembering, Italy is still not at peak. They've halted the exponential growth in cases, but there's still a linear increase of about 4.5k cases per day. The total number of active cases is still increasing though slower than it was.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Remember the lag, we’ll know much more in 10 days.
There is lag everywhere. That's exactly the point, Portugal was one of the earliest countries in Europe to impose measures, my argument is that that difference may be beginning to show in a comparison with a country like Sweden. If Sweden makes a U-turn in its policies, then you'll be looking at a 2-3 week lag until you see positive results.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
People here in Japan use them regularly during hay fever season, to go to work when they're sick - incredibly irresponsible but don't tell them that - when the flu is around and now during this pandemic. It's reasonable to say that face masks play a role among the general population in reducing the spread of infections but there is a big BUT.

I don't wear a mask. Anytime. I keep my distance from people especially people I don't know. It's harder to do that here in Japan but you can. It just takes vigilance. The trouble with masks as I have seen in both South Korea and Japan is that not taking proper care of them is just about inviting an infection.

So the maskless people hacking up and coughing/sneezing their droplets across the train are contaminating the masks that those close to them/not that close to them are wearing. Some people can't find masks because greedy hoarders, selfish people, organised crime have cleaned out stocks.

Mask-wearers then touch their masks, not everyone but I've seen it plenty of times. They hang their masks down to their chins to eat, drink, smoke or talk to people - the interior of the mask is exposed although they think because the surface is in the same place it's fine. If you wear a mask, unless it's an authentic medical one as in solidly protective inside and out, it's possible for your coughing and sneezing to escape in droplets.

Working with customers - I tell them to please keep on their masks if they feel more comfortable and I won't touch any of their documents and books. Some take their masks off and put them on the desk. They don't know if it has been thoroughly cleaned or not - it has by me - but they don't ask and at times the mask is put on the surface the wrong way around.

Many males here wear the same mask from the time they leave their home to the time they get home. Sometimes that's around 12 hours. During that time they have handled it a number of times. Some females are similarly careless but not quite in the same way. Masks also encourage complacency and crowding around others even if they can find a different space.

East Asians seem to have a fear of being alone physically. Theare are countless times in South Korea and Japan where strangers preferred to be very close in free seating trains cars when they could have sat elsewhere, wandered into my space on a main road waiting for the lights when they could have comfortably been somewhere else, in shops literally breathed down my neck around shelves and lines when there weren't many other customers, etc. I've had to tell people nicely to move back as there is some space behind us and there's no need to just about touch me.

So yes - I don't wear a mask. I'm not saying people shouldn't but if they wear one it requires vigilance and commonsense. Since late January I have walked part of my way to work and back home to avoid my local subway line. I know not everybody can do that but there are precautions including that one I take.
Yep. Mask discipline is required otherwise it's pointless and uncomfortable.

There is lag everywhere. That's exactly the point, Portugal was one of the earliest countries in Europe to impose measures, my argument is that that difference may be beginning to show in a comparison with a country like Sweden. If Sweden makes a U-turn in its policies, then you'll be looking at a 2-3 week lag until you see positive results.
When did Portugal impose full lockdown @Arruda ?
What did Portugal do different to Sweden 2-3 weeks ago?

And how long do you expect lockdown to last in Portugal? What happens after that?

Sorry mate, loads of questions I know but I want to understand what the experts in Portugal see differently to the experts here.

Sadly here, there is one area hit way harder than most and it’s the Järva area in Stockholm, an area with lots of immigrant families living in tight communities and in large family groups :(

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist

CORONA CONTAINMENT MEASURES ARE STARTING TO WORK, contends Norway’s state health director. Dr Bjørn Guldvog, who’s been in quarantine himself, told state broadcaster NRK Wednesday afternoon that new statistics indicate lower death and infection rates “than we could have had without the measures.”

Guldvog noted that there’s still great uncertainty tied to the Corona virus, “but we see quite powerful declines” in both infection and death rates when compared to prognoses without the measures first put into place on March 12 and extended last week until April 13.

Norway’s death toll, meanwhile, rose to 43 on Wednesday afternoon after nine new deaths since Tuesday. A total of 4,656 people have now tested positive to the Corona virus (Covid-19), an increase of 471 in the most recent 24-hour reporting period.

The number of Corona patients admitted to Norwegian hospitals stood at 328 on Wednesday, up again from 321 on Tuesday after a few declines that also had encouraged Frode Froland of Norway’s public health institute (FHI). He told state broadcaster NRK that the need for hospitalization was “very low compared to what we’ve seen in many other countries,” also when taking the numbers of infected people into account.

A total of 90,242 people had been tested for the Corona virus in Norway as of Tuesday, putting the portion of those infected at 4.8 percent.
https://www.newsinenglish.no/2020/04/01/updates-here-as-corona-rages-on/

Infra-red

Indeed. The dickheads who were cramming themselves into pubs, concerts and the Cheltenham Festival a couple of weeks ago, won't even be hitting the hospitals yet. This will sadly get much, much worse, before it gets better.

SteveJ

Scout
Someone's tweet to a company:
With everything happening, and the gov. encouraging us to cover our faces, is it at all possible to get a sunflower washable mouth mask? I’ve seen a few people doing them and I honestly just want one with your logo #COVIDー19
*facepalm*

Sparky Rhiwabon

I can't believe the number of people on here that I previously had assumed to be geopolitical / European law experts are actually experts in infectious diseases.

marktan

4.5k cases from 9k tests yesterday. We must have one of the highest positive cases to tests ratios in the world. We really need to step up testing. There's clearly way to many people who have it, but don't get tested and then carry on with their lives passing it onto others.

The US has passed a million tests in like 3 weeks whilst we're still hovering 10k tests a day.

SteveJ

Scout
I can't believe the number of people on here that I previously had assumed to be geopolitical / European law experts are actually experts in infectious diseases.
Are they former Luis Suarez fans?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Indeed. The dickheads who were cramming themselves into pubs, concerts and the Cheltenham Festival a couple of weeks ago, won't even be hitting the hospitals yet. This will sadly get much, much worse, before it gets better.
Cheltenham took place between 10/03/2020 and 13/03/2020, that is three weeks ago. Symptoms, we're told, take from five to fourteen days. So would the Cheltenham cases not be hitting us now?

Nogbadthebad

The figures are particularly bad here in my part of Wales (worst figures in the country) but all I see is people behaving well & staying indoors - streets are deserted.

Anywhere near that stereophonics gig?

As obscure as it seems, gatherings like that can distribute the virus across a community really quickly.

I'd take a bet if you could track cheltenham attendees, they, their work colleagues and families will feature heavily in current statistics.