SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is there any evidence for that anywhere though Pogue?
I mean, we’re beefing up hospitals and buikding massive field hospitals every single day, not just chilling around doing ziltch and hoping it’ll be fine.
Will locking down now help Ireland to build more ICU units and field hospitals than Sweden? I don’t think so.
Will locking down now for four weeks stop Ireland getting the rate infection after lockdown is over, once again I don’t think so.
I don’t know why you keep dancing round the point here. Sweden’s approach will only be proved wrong or right in another two or three weeks time. All the opinions coming out of all the countries whose epidemic is much more advanced than Sweden’s is that they profoundly regret not shutting down sooner. Time will tell if Sweden has some unique traits that will allow it to take a different approach, without enduring the same tragedy as Italy or Spain.

Anyway, your mind is obviously made up. A couple of weeks back you were telling everyone that stopping Premier League football would be an over-reaction! If the appalling death rate coming out of the Uk hasn’t convinced you that your opinion on this pandemic might occasionally be wide of the mark then nothing I can say will convince you either.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This virus is deadly enough to kill millions of people while driving most others completely crazy due to isolation, losing jobs and not having enough money. Or in general to completely feck up the rest of the world.

In that morbid sense, it is pretty much perfectly "designed". I just hope at this point that warm whether will help.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We knew this already.
This virus is deadly enough to kill millions of people while driving most others completely crazy due to isolation, losing jobs and not having enough money. Or in general to completely feck up the rest of the world.

In that morbid sense, it is pretty much perfectly "designed". I just hope at this point that warm whether will help.
I don't see how it will. Most cases are spread by people touching their face after touching surfaces that have been exposed.
Its 30+ degrees in Nigeria and it's spreading rapidly. Cases are doing every fee days and there has been feck all testing.

Fridge chutney

Yeah like I said in the other thread...

Not sure why you’re talking about the government. Its clear I’ve been referencing the general population. You made out as if you were ahead of things and were criticising people for ‘not taking it seriously’ and telling me to listen to Charlie Austin when literally you yourself only took a ‘serious’ stance at the start of the month, which is completely fine btw. I just don’t really understand why you’ve taken this whole Gandalf the wise stance.
That's just not what happened. You brought my personal habits into it and I corrected you. I've also noticed a stark difference in how this has been handled overall in the UK compared to other places and it has made me sad, and the figures today highlight the extent of the tragedy, specifically as it is unfolding in the UK. The government needs to take accountability and we all need to take personal accountability too. Government can only do so much.

Virgil

The "special relationship" is the first thing to go when you've got a whole heap of deflecting blame from yourself to do

It's cool, we've got lots of friends in the EU to fall back on...
IMHO there will be a lot of fallout between nations once this is over. Not just the USA and the U.K. but within the EU which has hardly covered itself in glory with regards to cooperation particularly in the early days. Then there is China which I don’t believe the world will easily forgive. I know we live in a globalized world but the economic cost to the world that this will cause will be far greater than if no country ever traded with China. And on a truely personal note.....bugger Hauwei having any sort of input into the U.K. 5G network.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
And unless you want this to keep coming back with a bang, you surely need measures that the majority of the population can keep up for months on end. If you can keep schools and as many businesses as possible open whilst social distancing and the other measures are in place, whilst not overwhelming the health service, surely that has to be your goal? It’s something you can keep up for 10 months if need be.
Yep. Though I do think a factor here as that our government has run down the health service so much that it literally couldn't cope before corona virus was even a thing. So it seems as much about buying time to get more facilities and equipment as anything else...but people should be asking questions as to why it was allowed to get into such a mess as to force us into this position, rather than worrying about what other countries are doing.

I think that will happen after this all eases off and that's when there'll be the big danger of unrest and even full on rioting. The fallout out from this here will be pretty big and in large part it's been manifactured by the lack of responsibility from the government in looking after people, instead of just looking after money and playing stupid political games with everyone's future.

There's only so long they will be able to hide something like that. Especially when they've had to magic up hundreds of billions of pounds of the money they kept saying they didn't have to carry out their own lockdown policies. At the moment the fear and shock factor from the virus will keep people mostly to sticking to rules and concentrating on looking after themselves and loved ones. Once this starts to ease of and people have time to assess the damage and their situation, and actually ask questions, there is potentially going to be a very big problem.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
This is a country that covered up both the initial outbreak, and the severity of it. They clamped down on that doctor who attempted to whistleblow. This is a country who heavily control what goes out, no facebook etc.

Other countries have their hands full trying to sort out their own emergencies right now, but I dare say in due course there will be major accusations made , and not just from the likes of Trump.
Ian Duncan Smith did a big one today. Basically saying after the crisis is over the west needs to rethink our relatiomship with China completely

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Recoveries are an odd one as there is no standard definition of what a recovery is. Considering the size of the outbreak and the timeline, China should have the most, followed by Italy and Iran. I'm not sure how Spain and Germany are up there above everybody bar China considering they both only really got going 2 weeks ago. Are they just desperate to clear people out of the hospitals?
I think you get better recovery rates by diagnosing/following up milder cases in the community. The more severe cases seem to take several weeks to recover so countries that mainly focussed on hospital testing (Italy then, Uk now) will have very low recovery rates for the first few weeks of their epidemic.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Some bad numbers for UK.

Italy/Spain numbers didn't feel too far away once we crossed 1k, which was just 4 days ago.

Remdesivir is being trialed in the UK today, hopefully some good can come out of it.
It is so crucial this works in the short term at least. There so many lives on the line is ridiculous. Good to see UK had joined the trial.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Trump lobs Boris under the bus:
It's all so surreal. American conservatives were the ones preaching how the whole thing was just a political scam and now they are pointing fingers at what everyone else has been doing, people who at their worst probably did and cared 10 times as much about this crisis. I don't know how I would deal with that if I was living there. That's a level of delusion and hypocrisy where I would probably just draw a line and say that I refuse to socialize with such scum. But then it's half the country, so you have to?

Fridge chutney

It’s tragic on a global scale that two countries we would traditionally look towards for leadership and scientific excellence (UK and US) both seem to have dropped the ball here. The whole world will pay the price.
Well said, fully agree. This sort of reflects the dangers of populism and a culture that rejects "experts".

Editor of the lancet last week on the BBC, summed it up well.

Ugh. It's so angering. I have vulnerable family and friends in the UK and I feel so helpless. They are at risk, as are the frontline staff at hospitals, as the video states harrowingly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s tragic on a global scale that two countries we would traditionally look towards for leadership and scientific excellence (UK and US) both seem to have dropped the ball here. The whole world will pay the price.
“people are tired of experts”

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Apparently Alok Sharma is on today.
He's just said this:
"Of those hospitalised in the UK, 2,352 have died. The youngest was just 13 years old. This is more tragic evidence that this virus does not discriminate. This pandemic is the biggest threat this country has faced in decades."

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Ian Duncan Smith did a big one today. Basically saying after the crisis is over the west needs to rethink our relatiomship with China completely
probably true... somebody is going to have to bail our government out and buy their bonds... better start bigging up the huawai 5G and letting China pick what infrastructure they want to build for the UK.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't see how it will. Most cases are spread by people touching their face after touching surfaces that have been exposed.
Its 30+ degrees in Nigeria and it's spreading rapidly. Cases are doing every fee days and there has been feck all testing.
Was out of touch recently (pulled back to work, actually reassigned to Civil protection service which works and coordinates with the police in cases of major accidents and catastrophes in my country; or times like this), so didn't even look at the world wide figures so much the last few days. Nigeria is the one that gave me that hope in the 1st place as the numbers weren't so big from the start.

Looking it even now it is at 156 cases and 1st one was on February 27th. Now, I know they aren't testing, so not taking that number as relevant at all. Number of deaths is at 2 which still isn't nearly as dramatic like the rest of the world. But, I see now it is actually becoming worse in the last few days which would mean you are probably right. That would be a really bad/awful news.

Virgil

Well said, fully agree. This sort of reflects the dangers of populism and a culture that rejects "experts".

Ugh. It's so angering. I have vulnerable family and friends in the UK and I feel so helpless. They are at risk, as are the frontline staff at hospitals, as the video states harrowingly.
But it is the damned experts that the government is following in respect of the virus. As per usual like experts in all fields there are as many views as there are experts.

Nogbadthebad

probably true... somebody is going to have to bail our government out and buy their bonds... better start bigging up the huawai 5G and letting China pick what infrastructure they want to build for the UK.
I always find it interesting that huawei is the one they get all worked up about, while this government pay china to build two nuclear reactors on our soil.

.........they've been wrong about not implementing measures earlier...
Once again, absolutely.

I’m simply giving out the reasons and information given to us about why we haven’t locked down.

I also think it’s inevitable that countries are kicking the can down the road and it’s inescapable that a lot of people are going to die after these lockdowns :(

Pogue’s probably correct that it’ll be lockdown, open, lockdown, open for the foreseeable future & countries are always going to be “guessing” when is right to lockdown/open up again.

DoomSlayer

Pogue’s probably correct that it’ll be lockdown, open, lockdown, open for the foreseeable future & countries are always going to be “guessing” when is right to lockdown/open up again.
That's going to be absolutely insane. In certain countries there are elections supposed to happen soon, everything will be used for political fight for dominance and it will be utter chaos.

Unless we get a world-wide consensus very soon, the global system is in big danger of a major collapse, leading to all sorts of relationships, unions, alliances and pacts being broken. It's incredibly important that the main leaders of the biggest countries realise how dependent the rest of the world is to them and their economies. I have no idea why the UN hasn't been involved already, it's egotism and selfishness of the highest order to not look at the bigger picture.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's all so surreal. American conservatives were the ones preaching how the whole thing was just a political scam and now they are pointing fingers at what everyone else has been doing, people who at their worst probably did and cared 10 times as much about this crisis. I don't know how I would deal with that if I was living there. That's a level of delusion and hypocrisy where I would probably just draw a line and say that I refuse to socialize with such scum. But then it's half the country, so you have to?
No, you just ignore the scum, you won't find much socialization between actual liberals and the far right. Actual liberals have been marginalized in the democratic party, that under Obama was right of Ronald Reagan most of the time. Many are waiting for someone influential to finally start a new party.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think that’s fair to say, and I’m also fairly certain as I repeated many times, that if the health ministry in Sweden sees the ICU curve take a scary upward turn for some days, I fully expect stricter measures to come in and even full lockdown if need be.
My argument has only ever been that if you can keep your health service going, whilst NOT locking down then surely that’s the best solution?
The Imperial College of London paper said we can take one month off lockdown without causing cases to rise above ICU and ventilator capacity if we follow it with 2 months on lockdown.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I wonder if anyone is going to call out Gove on his lies? Of course not. All the questions will be pre-planned.
Why stop now.
Most politicians are highly trained serial liars.
And those at the top are the biggest liars of them all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Slightly interesting thing from the Irish figures is that while 25% of confirmed cases are health workers, only 6% of those cases are as a result of transmission in a hospital. In other words a higher level of community transmission is driving those numbers rather than in-hospital or patient-to-carer transmission, for whatever reason.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Slightly interesting thing from the Irish figures is that while 25% of confirmed cases are health workers, only 6% of those cases are as a result of transmission in a hospital. In other words a higher level of community transmission is driving those numbers rather than in-hospital or patient-to-carer transmission, for whatever reason.
Nursing homes seem to be riddled with it here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The sad thing is that this has hit the world when the collective leadership is at an all time low . There should have been a better global response to this but thanks to people like Trump it was made to seem like a joke . Now the world will see millions die . What is crazy is that even now some people with good following keep writing and talking about flu and diarrhea deaths to compare with this

Ditto Team Trump and Team Modi.
However, seems like China, Russia, Germany have the right leader in place.