SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SirAF

Ageist
Unless they were already there. In which case, take action. Still wonder if airports are prepared. Last I heard, Heathrow wasn't screening but that was weeks ago.
Yeah. However, I would think that people should try to avoid recreational travelling to the most affected countries for the time being though. It’s not like we’re in the middle of the vacation season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Are people as thick as pig shit? If you're coming back from severely affected countries, get yourselves tested.
You can't just leave it up to the public. Government needs to step in and enforce quarantines...

Guns are illegal because they're dangerous, drink driving is illegal because it's dangerous, walking 'round with knives is illegal because they're dangerous - people returning from 'Danger' areas should be put officially into quarantine, with severe punishment if broken.

It's utterly bizarre to simply 'ask' people to do it themselves... if only they adopted such a relaxed approach with taxes, TV licensing etc.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Yeah. However, I would think that people should try to avoid recreational travelling to the most affected countries for the time being though. It’s not like we’re in the middle of the vacation season.
Oh yeah, 100%. Heck, I'd limit local travel as well. Only go out when required - work, grocery shopping etc. These measures will only help control transmission.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Oh yeah, 100%. Heck, I'd limit local travel as well. Only go out when required - work, grocery shopping etc. These measures will only help control transmission.
And completely crush businesses like pubs, gyms, cinemas, restaurants etc?

That's a huge overreaction and will not only cause panic but also put many people's lives at risk.

SirAF

Ageist
That’s a tad too far I think. People need to get out and about in fresh air to not go nuts and not to mention the business aspect as well. That said, certain measures should be taken.

gormless

So after 2 hours layover in Taiwan airport 2 weeks ago, followed by my asthma playing up last week, I have just completed 5 days of isolation and finally got my negative result today.

I worry for the NHS/Public Health England really. The waiting time for results went from 48 hours to 72 hours, to “we’ll call you.” In the end I ended up phoning Public Health England, getting passed through departments and then waiting for a call back to get my results. From people I spoke to, the waiting times for results are going up and up and they’re getting busier and busier.
The people I actually spoke to, from the person doing the test, to the doctor who gave me my results could not have been nicer, or more helpful, my gut impression is that they are gonna be snowed under.

Di Maria's angel

That's a huge overreaction and will not only cause panic but also put many people's lives at risk.
That’s a tad too far I think. People need to get out and about in fresh air to not go nuts and not to mention the business aspect as well. That said, certain measures should be taken.
Maybe it is too far. However, these limitations will come in place if this get serious as they have in China, Italy and Iran.

Isn't it better to act now than to wait till things start to get out of hand?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This wasn't the bone of contention. This was:

You only mention the Chinese nation in your post and go on to describe 'they' who eat anything that moves. There's a huge distinction in saying a nation as a whole, and by proxy most Chinese people do this as opposed to a minority of them. There is also a hint of blame attached to your statement by ending it with 'makes it all the worse' which you have clearly attached to Chinese people as a whole and is in response to someone saying 'Someone have a word with China'. Yet you describe me as a supremacist. Jog on.
Fair go on the bolded to be fair. Reading it back it reads like there’s intent there.

The crux of the comment was supposed to be : Their food hygiene standards are awful, and those hygiene standards coupled with exotic delicacies only makes matters worse.

The fact remains that the majority of Chinese people visit wet markets routinely. The hygiene standards there are poor, and almost guarantee these outbreaks.

To go a step further to clear up my point :

Every English person that loves a steak, or eggs, or black pudding, or bacon, etc.... Will freely admit that going to a working farm with good animal welfare to eat those things, generally results in the best possible flavour.

The Chinese wet market is just an evolution of that, scaled up to meet the demand of over a Billion people.

All safeguards being removed is the problem. No refrigeration. Carcasses of different animals sitting alongside each other. No hand washing. The culture of spitting everywhere. Lower rates of hand washing. Showers every few days. These are all taken as normal, everywhere in China, bar the obscenely westernised, central sections of the biggest Cities. With a population of over a billion, they guarantee problems.

Phil

So you can't find hand sanitising gel for love nor money anywhere in or around London. Luckily I bought a couple back from a trip to the US last month.

Has anyone here stocked up on canned foods or the like?

I have news for you - if the virus takes hold in the UK they will be crushed anyway. Here the restaurants and businesses that are open are totally empty and have been since everything kicked off over a week ago.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
So you can't find hand sanitising gel for love nor money anywhere in or around London. Luckily I bought a couple back from a trip to the US last month.

Would whisky or vodka work as well as hand gel? At least when it's all over you could drink it instead of having cupboards full of hand gel forever.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Not stocked up, but I've just been to the bigger supermarket near us and the shelves were still full of food (but no hand sanitiser).

I'm waiting for my hand sanitiser to arrive from Amazon Italia (ordered it about a week ago) - I happened to have a small bottle already in the cupboard, so I used that on my shopping trolley handle this morning and then sanitised my hands again when I got out of the shop. The women on the tills weren't doing anything between customers in terms of hand-cleaning.

Di Maria's angel

I have news for you - if the virus takes hold in the UK they will be crushed anyway. Here the restaurants and businesses that are open are totally empty and have been since everything kicked off over a week ago.
Just don't understand those posts. Theres a possibility it will happen anyway so why not react before it does!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You're a medical doctor, right? So you'll obviously be better placed to say.
Anyway, I thought it was mainly people with underlying conditions or lowered immune systems etc. in risk of dying from covid-19. I just thought that would be the same for regular flu. If that's true, and given the higher infection rate of covid-19, you'd imagine that covid-19 casts a wider net, so to speak, and would then get to people already in risk of succumbing to the flu before the flu gets there. If that makes sense.

That's coming from a type of probabilistic perspective though.
It doesn't work like that. Very different fatality rates. The people who are vulnerable to the flu are an immense number with a reasonably low fatality rate.

If those same people are also vulnerable to Covid-19 then you are looking at a similarly large vulnerable group with massive overlap (risk group overlap, not infection overlap), but in this same group Covid-19 seems to have a very high mortality (2 to 3% perhaps, pehaps more).

Compare that with seasonable flu mortality (which varies, but is generally assumed to be around 0.1% for illustrative purposes) and you're looking at a number which is 20-30 times lower than what this seems to be.

So, you expect some overlap, but it will be small. The deaths are on top of the usual numbers.

In a very bad scenario (difficulty imposing quarantine measures, poor health infrastructure) the overlap migh be bigger but the deaths will also be a lot bigger so I see no silver lining in that. So you might end up saying "well 40k died in my country, but 2k of those would have died of flu anyway".

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

I went into my local Boots shop earlier today & they had sold out of hand gel despite getting a delivery in the morning. Whilst there are people who are genuinely stocking up, I also feel like people will be selling this stuff on eBay to make a quick profit in the middle of the panic.

Phil

Would whisky or vodka work as well as hand gel? At least when it's all over you could drink it instead of having cupboards full of hand gel forever.
My hand sanitiser does smell of vodka so on that scientific basis, I reckon yes.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Our team is 100% functional working remotely so I don’t know why we haven’t got the shout yet to work from home. I don’t fancy taking a packed train in and out of work when it’s not necessary
I’ve started riding my bike to work to avoid my perma-packed commuting trains. Absolutely ridiculous at this point.... but also a good opportunity to get fit so defensible at least.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yep. Drink it and it sanitises from the inside out.

Abizzz

That's like saying there's a possibility that we may all die, so why don't we all just commit suicide now?
Because unlike death infection isn't inevitable and risk of it can be greatly reduced. Rather have closed restaraunts and bars and x deaths or closed everything and many more deaths?

And if bars and restaurants are closed there's no way the top leagues can continue so we can all forget about the past 8 months of football and start fresh when it's all over.

onemanarmy

How is Africa avoiding a mass break out?
It seems hardly effected.

Strange
Or people aren't being tested. Or there are no reports. There was 1 case in Lagos, a crazy crowded city. Would surprise me there aren't more cases.

Last edited:

botond

confirmed case on our work campus . they only evacuated the building that the individual woks , rest must continue work . must note that all the buildings , cafeterias , restaurants are interconnected on the campus
its only mater of time

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What's this about washing your hands whilst singing Happy Birthday To You twice?
Happy Birthday is the washing hands equivalent of counting in Mississippi's.

I think it's intentionally daft so people discuss it and it propagates through the idiot population. While they might not do the full song twice, they will hopefully be conscious of washing their hands at all.

Di Maria's angel

Happy Birthday is the washing hands equivalent of counting in Mississippi's.

I think it's intentionally daft so people discuss it and it propagates through the idiot population. While they might not do the full song twice, they will hopefully be conscious of washing their hands at all.
Its hilarious that this still has to be told to people.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
In a few days we should start having some better indications about how the virus spreads in the southern hemisphere. If it's less infectious/lethal in warmer climates then spring in the northern hemisphere might come and give us a big help.

Speculative, but possible at the moment. It's where I rest my hopes for the best case scenario.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
How is Africa avoiding a mass break out?
It seems hardly effected.

Strange
I was speaking to someone who works at the Austrian embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia the other day. She's apparently visited some of the facilities/clinics they've prepared in case of an outbreak, spoken to some people etc. And she thinks something doesn't add up.
However it might be a case of no one going to the doctor in case it's too expensive, bureaucracy being slow or some other thing.
However, one of the many international NGO employees surely would've been tested positive by now with all the travel activity. There's also more than a million Chinese here and a big Italian presence.

Vitro

unfortunately at least 50% alcohol is needed for efficacy