SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dave_MUFC

Only a matter of time, reckon we'll now see double the amount of cases every day as the incubation period comes to the end...

I'm more worried about how blase the majority of the people of it are, with most people not caring at all if they get it (not thinking about infecting the more vulnerable).

Hoping it gets taken a bit more seriously and businesses allow working remotely etc. As my workplace with ~10,000 people on site is an absolute breeding ground for this, and it only takes one case to get confirmed for it to be spread to most of the company.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Louvre workers decided unilaterally to not open the museum.
I appreciate that but the is it safe to receive a package? answers all seem to be inferring that the context of the question is international shipping or at least logistics that spans over a longer time and/or distance. What I am questioning is whether that logic applies to Amazon style logistics where you can order something, it be dispatched and reach you within a day. With that sort of quick turnover and short supply chain I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible that someone infected at the picking warehouse or depot couldn't infect a tonne of parcels which then sometimes reach their destinations in a matter of hours.
It might be feasible from a theorethical point of view (i.e. a large droplet in very quick deliveries), but it is not and will never be an important mode of transmission for a virus of this sort.

Ultimately it is a disease that spreads from people to people. The question of "surfaces" is relevant in surfaces that are touched by a large number of people in a short amount of time (i.e., public places).

The odds of an Amazon employee infecting a customer are probably ridiculous (even if you can't exclude it) compared with the odds of him infecting someone when going to work or his work colleagues.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Only a matter of time, reckon we'll now see double the amount of cases every day as the incubation period comes to the end...

I'm more worried about how blase the majority of the people of it are, with most people not caring at all if they get it (not thinking about infecting the more vulnerable).

Hoping it gets taken a bit more seriously and businesses allow working remotely etc. As my workplace with ~10,000 people on site is an absolute breeding ground for this, and it only takes one case to get confirmed for it to be spread to most of the company.
Number of cases has gone by 300% in the UK in one week. We could have 100-200 confirmed cases by the end of the week. By why bother taking action now? Death happens anyway.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
unfortunately at least 50% alcohol is needed for efficacy
Then I could buy cheap shite spirits, a quick distillation, mix with washing up liquid to form a gel and I've cracked it. I could be bigger than Procter and Gamble by the end of the year. If only I weren't bone idle and highly likely to drink so much of the spirits I'd be incapable of remembering the rest.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hearing reports from some colleagues and doctors' fora that some patients are presenting to gps or A&Es, lying about the reason they're there to get through triage without being quarantined or told to go home and then sitting in front of the doctor and admitting they're worried about corona.

The selfishness and complete lack of awareness of some people is mind boggling.

Also saw a fight about one of those small hand sanitiser bottles.

People are fecking ridiculous.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I'm getting to a point where somewhat. smart people who stretch too much irritate me far more than dimwits who know nothing.

A PhD in Mathematics wrote a long analysis that has gone viral here. It was shared by famous journalists, doctors, etc, at a far greater pace than many informative texts are. It has now been seen by hundreds of thousands of people in a small country. He calls it his "social contribution as a mathematician"

His conclusion: "An inconsequential virosis, get back to your lives everyone, drop they hysteria".

His analysis is all wrong. He used wrong numbers, analysed them poorly, and understands nothing of health nuances, at the end he underestimates the impact by an order of 10-100 times. Several people pointed that out to him, most of them doctors, and our comments are the most liked because we reinforced each other. Yet they're a drop in the ocean in the middle of the "thank you Professor, this is exactly the sort of information we need, prayers" (he's also a priest) so the guy will probably dismiss them without a second thought, whilst he sorts through his new facebook friends and prepares his next grand analysis.

Social media police will be a job of the future I guess. Someone needs to actually stop these things.

Last edited:

Dave_MUFC

Hearing reports from some colleagues and doctors' fora that some patients are presenting to gps or A&Es, lying about the reason they're there to get through triage without being quarantined or told to go home and then sitting in front of the doctor and admitting they're worried about corona.

The selfishness and complete lack of awareness of some people is mind boggling.
This is why it will become an epidemic without a doubt, ignorance is bliss etc.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
In a few days we should start having some better indications about how the virus spreads in the southern hemisphere. If it's less infectious/lethal in warmer climates then spring in the northern hemisphere might come and give us a big help.

Speculative, but possible at the moment. It's where I rest my hopes for the best case scenario.
I was thinking the same courtesy of my days playing Pandemic.

Di Maria's angel

On a positive note, South Korea has a mortality rate of 0.66%. They seem to be doing things the right way.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This is why it will become an epidemic without a doubt, ignorance is bliss etc.
Yep, feckin idiots. Ironically for them if they have just got a poxy cold then they couldn't possible visit a worse place to catch it. I'm staying well away from doctors surgeries and hospitals for the forseeable.

That said I do think some people are bordering on becoming slightly hysterical about it. As usual there is a healthy balance to be found somewhere in between.

Di Maria's angel

Yep, feckin idiots. Ironically for them if they have just got a poxy cold then they couldn't possible visit a worse place to catch it. I'm staying well away from doctors surgeries and hospitals for the forseeable.

That said I do think some people are bordering on becoming slightly hysterical about it. As usual there is a healthy balance to be found somewhere in between.
Well it's probably because there's been very little communication to the public especially the numpties. And maybe the media should stop calling it a killer fecking virus which it isn't.

Among the doom and gloom, no one mentioned how China was controlling transmission or that South Korea has done wonderfully well in testing, and has a very low mortality rate.

Classical Mechanic

On a positive note, South Korea has a mortality rate of 0.66%. They seem to be doing things the right way.
They're in the highest bracket in this index for preparedness for this type of situation. The UK is even higher and 2nd in the world on it so hopefully we are well equipped for what may come. I have no idea of how important this index is but some disease expert in The Guardian was referencing it as a good indicator.

https://www.ghsindex.org/

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That’s nonsense. Think about what you e just written.

One case spreads to most of the company?!? No.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Go easy on them ffs. It's worked wonders for gun control in America so it makes perfect sense to use it as the go to defence against a virus.

Di Maria's angel

It's not entirely wrong. Given that you can pass the virus on without showing any symptoms yourself means it could easily pass through an organisation before anyone would become aware. I mean its the main reason why this virus is considered such a huge threat.

Member 60376

Go easy on them ffs. It's worked wonders for gun control in America so it makes perfect sense to use it as the go to defence against a virus.
Tried thoughts and prayers. But my crypto is still dead

Arruda

Supports
Porto

Well, depending on the type of workplace, it may not infect everyone but effectively affect everyone, as the place will, at the very least, stop operating for a few days. If it goes on as usual then yes, it can spread to most of the company.

Smores

I think the diamond cruise ship has already demonstrated how quickly it will spread within a close contact area.

This things as infectious as a common cold and think how quickly that goes around the office.

My place has plans to make half work at home and spread everyone out. Not sure how effective that will be.

Di Maria's angel

I think the diamond cruise ship has already demonstrated how quickly it will spread within a close contact area.

This things as infectious as a common cold and think how quickly that goes around the office.

My place has plans to make half work at home and spread everyone out. Not sure how effective that will be.
I thought this, too. We could easily shut down school for a week or two. And work places should look to maybe split workload and have fewer people in at once or start increasing the number of people working from home.

The way I see it - short term loss for long term gain.

Not a financial guy but read that almost $4Bn was lost on the stock market.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
If this is possible I think it's the right sort of attitude that will be very effective when applied in a grand scale.

Not only it will reduce the risk for each of you individually, but more importantly... Even if it's just 20% effective imagine that adding up with the extra care that each of us takes, our neighbours, public services etc.

These things are exponential, a small gain now can be huge down the line. It's more time for better weather, vaccine planning, logistical adaptation by the government, knowledge, etc, etc.

Hence why I'm puzzled by things such Americans not even considering delaying Super-tuesday. Even if you're delaying the inevitable by 2 days with a measure such as this, 2 days now can mean a lot in the future in a hypothetical scenario were Americans might be dying at a rythm of 2k per day for example.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Schools should be shut - with work going home.

Or at least halve the number of pupils at 2 weeks intervals.

Also, will China face sanctions for their behaviour in causing this catastrophe? And what changes will this bring around in China's (seemingly) archaic health and safety system - at least in places like these 'wet-markets'?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Aren't there 700 cases on there, on a ship of 3,700 (so far with 7 deaths), in a ship where they were literally all locked in and quarantined with no escape?

I think that makes sense for your work place though and surprises me that more places where people can work from home aren't already doing this.

Dave_MUFC

As Angel said above, it's got a 2 week incubation period, and some people who tested positive showed little to no symptoms at all, so someone can go by without knowing and spread it around. Canteen has a few hundred people in it at once around lunchtime, we have communal taps for boiling water, toilet doors etc. Not to mention everyone within my office has on average 3-4 meetings a day with 5-10 people in a meeting room on average.

Not a ridiculous claim at all. Do you believe that the 40 confirmed cases in the UK are actually the only infected people? In the coming weeks I reckon we'll go up to 1000's, simply because people aren't showing symptoms yet, yet have the virus already.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
As Angel said above, it's got a 2 week incubation period, and some people who tested positive showed little to no symptoms at all, so someone can go by without knowing and spread it around. Canteen has a few hundred people in it at once around lunchtime, we have communal taps for boiling water, toilet doors etc. Not to mention everyone within my office has on average 3-4 meetings a day with 5-10 people in a meeting room on average.

Not a ridiculous claim at all. Do you believe that the 40 confirmed cases in the UK are actually the only infected people? In the coming weeks I reckon we'll go up to 1000's, simply because people aren't showing symptoms yet, yet have the virus already.
Sense. Good, well articulated post.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
People price-gouging here is the new thing. Apparently some prick in Cork bought a load of hand sanitiser bottles and was selling them on the street for 3/4 times the normal price. Saw a picture on Whatsapp of a bitch trying to sell tiny bottles for €10 a pop.

My local hardware store had a "Hurry, get your face masks while stocks last!" panic-spreading facebook ad with jacked-up prices. A comment below said they weren't even any good because they're masks for builders on sites, not medical masks.

I hope they all catch the fecking thing.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Yeah. However, I would think that people should try to avoid recreational travelling to the most affected countries for the time being though. It’s not like we’re in the middle of the vacation season.
I’m off to Japan for my honeymoon in 4 weeks. What do you suggest we do? Cancel it all, lose thousands as insurance won’t cover unless we are told we cannot go and just stay home? Planned for two years, fortune spent etc

Weird mindset to have. Call me selfish but there isn’t a chance we would consider not going unless the flights are cancelled.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
So turns out my nephew has come back from Milan with symptoms and is quarantined at home. He's awaiting his results from the doctor. Look for a case from Dartford area on the news.

SirAF

Ageist
I’m off to Japan for my honeymoon in 4 weeks. What do you suggest we do? Cancel it all, lose thousands as insurance won’t cover unless we are told we cannot go and just stay home? Planned for two years, fortune spent etc

Weird mindset to have. Call me selfish but there isn’t a chance we would consider not going unless the flights are cancelled.
Japan isn’t one of the most affected countries, is it? I‘m talking about going to hotspots like Northern Italy and the Wuhan region.

Japan is my #1 dream destination - enjoy it!