SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Dante

Average bang
With all due respect, I bet people outside of China know more about what's going on in the country than the average person within its borders.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Read an interesting thread where the guy stated that most of fear inside Wuhan isnt so much from the virus itself but rather the lack of transparency from the government and whether people will be treated should they need it.

Dante

Average bang
With all due respect I think your wrong having spoken to the wife's family today... The problem is more information (some conflicting )overload
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51221394
Chinese social media is also highly regulated and the New York Times reported that the hashtag #WuhanSARS was blocked locally. Police even questioned eight people about spreading "rumours" of the virus online, according to reports.
This bit is quite telling.

Just because your wife is in the middle of the propaganda machine, that doesn't mean the propaganda machine doesn't exist.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They'll have a testing plan in a week at all airports and a vaccine soon after. It's a matter of controlling the movement of affected people in the meantime. It's apparently 90% homologous to the SARS virus.

In an era of molecular biology and rapid dna sequencing it takes a lot for an outbreak to become an epidemic even in a country as densely populated as China.

mu4c_20le

Just because your wife is in the middle of the propaganda machine, that doesn't mean the propaganda machine doesn't exist.
If there are people spreading false rumours then they should be investigated. I wish other countries would also take online trolls more seriously, instead they get their likes and retweets, then people forget about them and they get away with it. Not the rumours however.

Smores

Not sure what your direct experience is here but I've got friends in China and i wouldn't characterise your claim as remotely true.

It's very easy to access outside news in China even access Facebook. Most just use local alternatives which do get some censorship but they're not all ignorant of everything.

Dante

Average bang
If there are people spreading false rumours then they should be investigated. I wish other countries would also take online trolls more seriously, instead they get their likes and retweets, then people forget about them and they get away with it. Not the rumours however.
How do you feel about this doctor?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was 90,000 infected. Apparently that's the estimate according to another translation of the video. I mean Wuhan has population of 11 million. Also found quite an informative video in the comments which is worth watching.

Dante

Average bang
Did she get arrested? The only thing I found interesting was her estimation of the number of infected, everything else was standard fare.
Quite possibly. She obviously felt she would be, given her attempts at anonymity.

It's good that you've learned something new.

mu4c_20le

Quite possibly. She obviously felt she would be, given her attempts at anonymity.

It's good that you've learned something new.
That you should not reveal your identity when speaking to the public without authorization? I knew that from the first job I took right out of school.

If you meant her estimation count, better forward that to the W.H.O., they still think there's only around a thousand confirmed cases.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

My wife really isn't in the middle of the propaganda machine as she's lived in the UK with me for the last 12 years and nor are her family even though they live in China... Like the vast majority of even vaguely half intelligent Chinese people (and keep in mind china has more 1st class graduates than the usa has graduates each year) they have figured out how to use a VPN and are more than Capable of getting and reading news from anywhere in the world
Having been born in UK grown up in HK then having lived and worked in mainland China and USA as well as several European countries and now being back in UK I think I'm a bit better placed to assess my family's access to world wide info than you... And given we spoke for a couple of hours today and the comparing info we had was one of the topics we spoke about I am again minded to think I know a lot more about this than you and you might as well shut up wind yer neck in and jog on dear boy

Dante

Average bang
My wife really isn't in the middle of the propaganda machine and nor are her family... Like the vast majority of even vaguely half intelligent Chinese people (and keep in mind china has more 1st class graduates than the usa has graduates each year) they have figured out how to use a VPN and are more than Capable of getting and reading news from anywhere in the world
Having been born in UK grown up in HK then having lived and worked in mainland China and USA as well as several European countries and now being back in UK I think I'm a bit better placed to assess my family's access to world wide info than you... And given we spoke for a couple of hours today and the comparing info we had was one of the topics we spoke about I am again minded to think I know a lot more about this than you and you might as well shut up wind yer neck in and jog on dear boy
So you'd say you're better informed than the average person within the borders of China? Because that's what I said.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The only way anyone is leaving Wuhan and neighbouring cities at the moment is on foot. Every form of public transport plus highways are locked down. This is all openly admitted and confirmed. I'm in Jiangsu at the moment which isn't hit too badly as far as we are aware but still very nervous. Staying inside as much as possible and making sure to be ultra-hygienic. Even here the buses are shut and there are lots of temperature checks going on around town and at the train station. Going back to Shanghai in a few days, then going to plan what to do from there.
Not only that. Gas stations are forbidden to sell gas to cars with local plates and is forbidden to be out of home after 17:00. They can't quarantine a city of 11 millions because it would be impossible. They are just limiting the effective transportation in a city 11 times bigger than madrid. Is de facto a quarantine. Someone can be stubborn and deny it as is not officially quarantine, or you can be wise and recognize that you learned something new as is not a competition.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
They'll have a testing plan in a week at all airports and a vaccine soon after. It's a matter of controlling the movement of affected people in the meantime. It's apparently 90% homologous to the SARS virus.

In an era of molecular biology and rapid dna sequencing it takes a lot for an outbreak to become an epidemic even in a country as densely populated as China.
No, you wont get a vaccine at least before 1 year apparently

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news-...east-one-year-health-emergency-beijing-wuhan/

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
There are not dead people people on hospital floors due to the virus.

There’s a lot of nonsense doing the rounds online. People falling over. A weird containment vehicle at an airport. None of it is connected to the virus.
I could clearly see several bodies fully covered over on the floor in the vid I watched a couple of days ago. If they were just sick people, their heads wouldn't be covered up. If you're saying it was a fake vid, then who knows?

TheReligion

Abusive
On a side note these hospitals are getting thrown up quickly aren't they. Pretty impressive. Someone needs to tell the Tories given the figures and time scales we keep getting quoted about new hospitals in the UK.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I could clearly see several bodies fully covered over on the floor in the vid I watched a couple of days ago. If they were just sick people, their heads wouldn't be covered up. If you're saying it was a fake vid, then who knows?
Everyone knows. They’re not dead bodies on the floor killed by the virus.

Even thirty seconds of common sense tells someone that a country that is restricting the movement of millions of people in order to control a contagion.... Isn't going to leave a contagion in the hallway of a hospital.

Peoples prejudice against China (knowing or not) leads them to believe insane shit.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Everyone knows. They’re not dead bodies on the floor killed by the virus.

Even thirty seconds of common sense tells someone that a country that is restricting the movement of millions of people in order to control a contagion.... Isn't going to leave a contagion in the hallway of a hospital.

Peoples prejudice against China (knowing or not) leads them to believe insane shit.
Maybe beacuse sometimes some of their insane shit is true (and sometimes not)

On a side note these hospitals are getting thrown up quickly aren't they. Pretty impressive. Someone needs to tell the Tories given the figures and time scales we keep getting quoted about new hospitals in the UK.
They're little more than porta cabins and will be taken down after virus subsides. Impressive, but they're not real hospitals.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They're little more than porta cabins and will be taken down after virus subsides. Impressive, but they're not real hospitals.
more akin to mobile field hospitals - not sure if its civilian or army building them (machines looked civilian) but id guess the army would have more training in doing this to such timescales - the flip side is using the army might cause more panic which may be more problematic in terms of containment so perhaps they are using civilian contractors because of that?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

more akin to mobile field hospitals - not sure if its civilian or army building them (machines looked civilian) but id guess the army would have more training in doing this to such timescales - the flip side is using the army might cause more panic which may be more problematic in terms of containment so perhaps they are using civilian contractors because of that?
I think the builders are civilian but they will be staffed by military medics. Either way, it's only a temporary structure.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How is airlifting expats out not completely ill-considered? Surely they should all be subject to the same quarantine regulations as everyone else in the area?

Di Maria's angel

Just over 2800 confirmed cases, 81 deaths and 57 people discharged. 2.8 mortality rate. It has gone down from the 3% earlier. Positive news?

justboy68

Just over 2800 confirmed cases, 81 deaths and 57 people discharged. 2.8 mortality rate. It has gone down from the 3% earlier. Positive news?
You also have to consider that the vast majority of deaths are in the overloaded Wuhan hospitals. In adequately resourced and prepared areas the rate will be even lower. It's still scary of course but something to be thankful for at least.

Di Maria's angel

You also have to consider that the vast majority of deaths are in the overloaded Wuhan hospitals. In adequately resourced and prepared areas the rate will be even lower. It's still scary of course but something to be thankful for at least.
Yes, exactly what I said yesterday. I'm assuming (huge assumptiom) that those who are dying haven't received adequate care. Also, around the 20th death mark, most had underlying health issues.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I imagine they're suppressing the death figures by recording deaths from the coronavirus as deaths from other causes. They also have no idea of how many people have contracted the virus because those with mild symptoms haven't presented themselves to the authorities. Both variables are almost certainly unreliable. The amount of people being discharged is a good sign if those people were confirmed to have suffered from the coronavirus.

0le

The mortality rate could be 0.1% but if it is extremely contagious and infects 5 billion people then a lot of people will die. One report the other day suggested the rate at which the virus was spreading was accelerating so just because it has "only" a 2.8% mortality rate doesn't mean much at present, without more information. I would also say we need to be careful intepreting any government statistics from China because they will do everything in their power to demonstrate they have the situation under control.

mu4c_20le

It's generally agreed by medical experts that this virus isn't nearly as deadly as SARS, however it seems to be more contagious especially since it can be easily spread before symptoms even appear.

Chipper

Adulterer.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Coronavirus is related to the common cold virus. We have put huge amounts of research into a 'cure' for the common cold for decades, whether by vaccine or treatment, and got nowhere. Decades, and still not got it.
I agree, I answered someone that said that we would get a vaccine in a matter of days while the most optimistic says not before a year (or maybe never as you say)