SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

1291 new cases since yesterday in Hubei Province alone.
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://wjw.hubei.gov.cn/fbjd/dtyw/202001/t20200128_2015611.shtml

106 deaths in total now, 4000+ confirmed cases around the world. These numbers are expected to go up as the rest of China hasn't announced all their new figures for the day yet.

Don't want to be alarmist but that's a mighty big leap on yesterday.
With a 2-10 day incubation period a lot of people showing up with the virus now will have caught it before the lockdown. How well it's being controlled won't be clear for another few days at least.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
3 more people in Bavaria now tested positive. All three from the same company. What surprises me is that and how quickly people apparently get infected from people that do not even have symptons yet.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

The Danish minister of state had a response amounting to: "We have freedom of speech".

The tweet from the newspaper with the drawing got a lot of flak from the Chinese. However it was mainly really poor memes and what I think was Chinese sentences translated online to Danish.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This shit just makes me think if we had a zombie outbreak we'd all be fecked within about three minutes cause we're idiots and we don't take things seriously at all.

mu4c_20le

China coronavirus: Misinformation spreads online about origin and scale

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-51271037

Bat soup videos
From the very beginning people speculated online about the origin of the coronavirus. This was exacerbated by a slew of videos said to be showing Chinese people eating bats amid the deadly outbreak in Wuhan.

One such clip shows a smiling Chinese woman holding a cooked bat on camera, before admitting it tastes "like chicken meat". The video prompted outrage online, with some users blaming Chinese eating habits for the outbreak.

But the video was not shot in Wuhan, or in China for that matter. Originally filmed in 2016, it shows popular blogger and travel show host Wang Mengyun during a trip to Palau, an archipelago in the western Pacific Ocean.

The clip resurfaced on social media after cases of the new coronavirus emerged in Wuhan late last year.

Following online backlash, Ms Mengyun apologised, saying she was "just trying to introduce the life of local people" to the audience and had not known that bats could be a virus carrier. Her video has since been taken down.

The new coronavirus is believed to have emerged from illegally traded wildlife at a seafood market in Wuhan. Although bats have been named in recent research from China as a possible source of the virus, bat soup is not particularly commonplace in the country and the investigations into its exact origins continue.
The Wuhan nurse video is also discussed. The ones about dead bodies in hospitals are not even worth mentioning.

The Purley King

Travelling into work this morning, went through London Bridge and quite a few non-Asian people wearing facemasks. Odd to see.
Often see SE Asian people wearing facemasks in London, presumably for pollution based reasons, but quite a few white people with masks on this morning.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Think they were saying the other day that to declare it an international concern there needed to be decent-sized outbreaks/enough to call it an epidemic in at least 2 countries. Thailand up to 14 cases now, Singapore on 10. Not sure if that's enough, but then I don't know how many makes an epidemic.

Thailand's health minister was saying they're going to have difficulty controlling the spread so that's probably a factor too, as well as what is now a large a number of cases overall.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Think they were saying the other day that to declare it an international concern there needed to be decent-sized outbreaks/enough to call it an epidemic in at least 2 countries. Thailand up to 14 cases now, Singapore on 10. Not sure if that's enough, but then I don't know how many makes an epidemic.

Thailand's health minister was saying they're going to have difficulty controlling the spread so that's probably a factor too, as well as what is now a large a number of cases overall.
The fact it can lie dormant for 14 days has been a key factor. The fear is that it can be spread covertly.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I live in the far north of Norway... So does my aunt.
She started talking to me today about this, on how it's going to kill millions of people and be the new black death. She has even gone to the step of buying tons of tinned food and locked herself up in her house far up in the woods.

Tried talking to her about how death-rate seems to be around 2.2-3.15% and that it's mostly people with other conditions dying. That they are already working on a vaccine and that despite it being fast at getting around that if it was nearly as bad as she talked about then Wuhan, a place you could fill 5.7 times into the region we live in has 11 million citizens, as opposed to our 50~ thousand would have had a shit-ton more incidents alone. That's before we consider that Chine has over 1 billion people. She refuses to see sense and is panicking. Can't calm her down with checking up stuff for her.

She even claimed WHO had said it was going to be the worst thing ever, just without saying it.

She isn't really healthy mentally, but it really saddens me to see. She's even scared of her man coming home from Thailand (he has spent some time there in his family's mansion, so not even out in the public) for decks sake.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Damn, China really fecked up here. Detained 8 doctors earlier in the month to try and stop them from spreading rumours about a new virus.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The new Russian Prime Minister ordered to close down the Russian/Chinese border on the Far East.

Shit's getting out of control.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Can someone have a word with China on behalf of the rest of the world. Seems like every patient zero is from there.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Can someone have a word with China on behalf of the rest of the world. Seems like every patient zero is from there.
For obvious reasons. They’re a nation with atrocious personal hygiene standards and their food handling standards are probably the worst in the world. That they decide to eat anything that moves makes it all the worse.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
For obvious reasons. They’re a nation with atrocious personal hygiene standards and their food handling standards are probably the worst in the world. That they decide to eat anything that moves makes it all the worse.
Being over 1 billion people there is probably a big reason.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wilbur Ross done lost his senile mind, says Coronavirus might be good for America because jobs will be coming back.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
What makes 0 sense is the fact that they didn't stop travel to and from China the instant the first incident came out. I mean how fecking stupid can you be?

Simbo

Bet there's a fair few chinese people having fun with this, going round sneezing in public places.