SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Well it's far more deadly!

But yeah it was contained quite well in comparison. But did anyone get blamed for swine flu which killed 150k or did China get blamed for Avian flu in the 50s? I wasn't alive then so I dont know
It's also spread by contact with bodily fluids of people with symptoms, and symptoms of Ebola are pretty obvious. It's easy to isolate and contain in a developed country.

Nobody was blamed for swine flu partly because we don't know where it came from, best estimates were either Mexico or somewhere in Asia. The Avian flu outbreak was commonly known as Asian flu, but like you i wasn't around then.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Tbf on Buster and the like, when humans feel helpless, they will always seek to blame someone for their station rather than looking inwards/domestic govt in this case. It's a natural human condition for some -- externalise their plight.

How else do wars get started -- but by the sub-humanising of others/groups as a convenient excuse?
I object to this assumption of sub-humanising as an explanation for allocating some responsibility. I haven't seen or made any posts allocating blame upon the Chinese due to any racial profile. I understand it is a pipe dream to wish that the Chinese Govt. could take any responsibility but every human in the world has had their lives upturned and worse now every time a virus originates from within their borders. The responsibility for allowing this particular virus to spread beyond their borders on every occasion that they have a laboratory incident or transmission from animal to human due to poor hygiene and then engage in deceit about its beginnings, progress and disruption lays the blame if we call it that on no-one but the Chinese Government. The facts that our lives may be changed forever, the debt that we all incur and the sorrow we endure cannot be any other than theirs to own and make restitution for until the next occasion and the next has nothing to do with their race whatsoever and playing that card even if it might be wishful thinking that we could find a way to recompense the destruction is mistaken at best.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's also spread by contact with bodily fluids of people with symptoms, and symptoms of Ebola are pretty obvious. It's easy to isolate and contain in a developed country.

Nobody was blamed for swine flu partly because we don't know where it came from, best estimates were either Mexico or somewhere in Asia. The Avian flu outbreak was commonly known as Asian flu, but like you i wasn't around then.
Spanish flu didn’t originate in Spain, for what it’s worth. Bet they felt a bit hard done by over the choice of name.

Every virus has to start somewhere. Enforced reparations on the country of origin seems like a shitty thing to do. That said, any government who is deliberately deceitful about the progress of a potential pandemic in their country should be held to account. Which would potentially involve a lot more countries than just China. Concrete evidence of this alleged deliberate deceit would be a good starting point, obviously.

Fluctuation0161

Doubt it. Most private hospitals ship their A&E cases to the NHS because it's too expensive and high risk so they're not really set up for it that well. Usually the NHS has very high standards in A&E, it's the more mundane services that suffer. Also, I think the private hospitals are renting their Covid-19 beds to the NHS anyway aren't they?
True. Im unsure where he is being treated though. Guess they have not publicised it.

Maticmaker

But would the rest of the worlds governments be wrong to seek compensation from China because they covered up the outbreak.
Too late for that, China is too powerful now both militarily and economically to succumb to so called 'world pressure'. Ironically its only Trump and the US who can take them on, just imagine that it may come down to a choice between Xi Jinping and Donald Trump!!

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I object to this assumption of sub-humanising as an explanation for allocating some responsibility. I haven't seen or made any posts allocating blame upon the Chinese due to any racial profile. I understand it is a pipe dream to wish that the Chinese Govt. could take any responsibility but every human in the world has had their lives upturned and worse now every time a virus originates from within their borders. The responsibility for allowing this particular virus to spread beyond their borders on every occasion that they have a laboratory incident or transmission from animal to human due to poor hygiene and then engage in deceit about its beginnings, progress and disruption lays the blame if we call it that on no-one but the Chinese Government. The facts that our lives may be changed forever, the debt that we all incur and the sorrow we endure cannot be any other than theirs to own and make restitution for until the next occasion and the next has nothing to do with their race whatsoever and playing that card even if it might be wishful thinking that we could find a way to recompense the destruction is mistaken at best.
Can't quite fully understand (Clunky) the end bit but I think I agree.

How do we as a species prevent this type of crisis happening on a regular basis? It is imperative we do.

Or is it?

Alabaster Codify7

What's crazy is I was backpacking in 2009 when Swine Flu was exploding. I vividly remember being in Vietnam and was going to NYC, but in a roundabout way I was heading to Hong Kong first, then mainland China, then to Newark airport. I also had to take an internal flight in Vietnam a few days before the journey in question - I had a bit of a smokers cough and was pertified because they were testing EVERYONE at every airport.

What I don't understand is, why hasnt this been happening with covid19?

You see videos of dozens of people arriving in London and just waltzing through without a second glance. What is the actual reasoning behind this, on this occasion? It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I don't doubt that the advice will be good. I doubt that the average thicko will take notice of it and just go out BBQing with friends and family when it's sunny.
Or people (there are other words I could use) like this?

"If I catch it, that's ok, it's just me".

No, if you catch it, there's a chance the country's average IQ will go up a notch.

#Justforclicks

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Can't quite fully understand (Clunky) the end bit but I think I agree.

How do we as a species prevent this type of crisis happening on a regular basis? It is imperative we do.

Or is it?
I think I'm trying to say that this is not the first occasion and I'm doubtful that it will be the last. That it has nothing to do with race and I am hoping that it is merely a mistake to label it as racist.

Globalisation is a good thing I think however my personal belief that this virus on this occasion has been with us for longer than the reported origins would mean that no country had an opportunity to close its borders and take whatever the correct precautions might be.

To prevent re-occurrence given our ways of life would mean preventing the sources by changing their way of life.

Ady87

My Mum (NHS CAMHS) has just sent me a voice note she received from a very senior NHS figure and she won’t even tell me the name of the person. It was detailing changes to ambulance response times and procedures just discussed in a meeting for people not able to breathe at home. So, previously if you were struggling for every breath and unable to finish a sentence they would send a category 2 blue light ambulance with an 18 min response time. As of Thursday when they expect the peak, they will now not be sending ambulances in this case and these people will be asked to manage their symptoms at home.

There was then what sounded like speculation around further lockdown restrictions and street marshalling.

Our local ice skating rink has been hired by the local council in the event it needs to be used as a mortuary as reported by the BBC. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-52204936

Maticmaker

Or is it?
As a famous (or infamous) Chinese leader once said "every journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step" ... this could well be the first step in human kinds journey in responding to an increasingly over crowded planet. Just as we look to how we react to climate change, we will have to now include pandemics of this nature in our accounting and our preparations and hopefully going forward countries like China (but not just them) will get on board to finding a response we can all live with, and live by.

To save the planet we need a planet wide response and maybe just maybe this pandemic will convince...everyone of that requirement.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked

Superb piece of journalism.

@TMDaines
Great article, thanks for sharing. I think there's actually been an absence of this kind of coverage, just trying to lay out the facts rather than trying to fit some agenda or other.

Balljy

So, previously if you were struggling for every breath and unable to finish a sentence they would send a category 2 blue light ambulance with an 18 min response time. As of Thursday when they expect the peak, they will now not be sending ambulances in this case and these people will be asked to manage their symptoms at home.
That's crazy if true. I would have though the next step to that would be can't speak, can't call so is presumably a death sentence?

Foxbatt

There is a very good article in the New York Times about how and why it happened.
After SARS China installed a fully computerised system to monitor anything like this. Never again they said. They even had US government experts in the Chinese CDC.
Now they never factored in the human factor in a dictatorship.
What was supposed to happen was if any doctor finds anything unusual they are supposed to enter it into the system. Unfortunately for everyone the doctors reported the flu to the management in Wuhan who decided to try to do it themselves. It's only end of December CDC realized that this was going on.
By early January they knew it was a new one and informed everyone.
It's the incompetency of the politicians in the west that made it so worse in those countries.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
As a famous (or infamous) Chinese leader once said "every journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step" ... this could well be the first step in human kinds journey in responding to an increasingly over crowded planet. Just as we look to how we react to climate change, we will have to now include pandemics of this nature in our accounting and our preparations and hopefully going forward countries like China (but not just them) will get on board to finding a response we can all live with, and live by.

To save the planet we need a planet wide response and maybe just maybe this pandemic will convince...everyone of that requirement.
9/11 changed the way we fly.
If the world cannot take decisive action Corona Virus might mean we have to take a test at the airport before fly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A friend of mine is currently doing a constructions project management masters and he said one of his lecturers who is still very much involved in the industry has contacts in the unions was explaining to his group just how fecked the construction industry would be if it came to a halt. I might be wrong but I think he said it was hundreds of billions tied up in construction projects in the UK and the margins are incredibly fine. They all work on the basis where you don't waste a kilo of concrete or a length of timber because it all factors into the profits and if a project ran over schedule by just a few weeks the knock on effect of that is huge so if you had the entire industry suddenly delayed by a few months, many of the biggest construction companies and industrial equipment hire companies would become insolvent very very quickly.

The knock on effect of that on the country's infrastructure and economy would be immeasurable.
Would they all be protected contractually by 'force majeure'? I mean this is genuinely the most true example of that in living memory!

Smores

My Mum (NHS CAMHS) has just sent me a voice note she received from a very senior NHS figure and she won’t even tell me the name of the person. It was detailing changes to ambulance response times and procedures just discussed in a meeting for people not able to breathe at home. So, previously if you were struggling for every breath and unable to finish a sentence they would send a category 2 blue light ambulance with an 18 min response time. As of Thursday when they expect the peak, they will now not be sending ambulances in this case and these people will be asked to manage their symptoms at home.

There was then what sounded like speculation around further lockdown restrictions and street marshalling.

Our local ice skating rink has been hired by the local council in the event it needs to be used as a mortuary as reported by the BBC. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-52204936
Interestingly I've had a few friends say they've been on calls this morning and it sounds like further lockdown is pending.

I'm taking it as gossip at this point but it wouldn't surprise me if they've decided the only way they can handle the easter break is full lockdown.

Alabaster Codify7

I think I'm trying to say that this is not the first occasion and I'm doubtful that it will be the last. That it has nothing to do with race and I am hoping that it is merely a mistake to label it as racist.

Globalisation is a good thing I think however my personal belief that this virus on this occasion has been with us for longer than the reported origins would mean that no country had an opportunity to close its borders and take whatever the correct precautions might be.

To prevent re-occurrence given our ways of life would mean preventing the sources by changing their way of life.

Thing is man, you have to think about this realistically. Think how big China is, and how many different LEGAL food markets are in each multi-million person city. Then imagine how many illegal/unlicensed sellers are in that same city, then imagine the enormity of trying to police that situation, especially when a lot of exotic meat is purchased black market by the extremely rich.....and also, sold on the sly by the very poor who need to eat something.

It's an unstoppable entity, sadly.

Drugs are illegal. Think how many dealers live and operate in your home-town, if you're from the UK. Sure, one of them might get busted now and again, does that stop the influx of illegal drugs? No, because demand will bring supply and the same goes for these wet markets.

Finally, the Chinese government need to actually want to stop them, by putting in a monumental effort. It's far more likely that they'll put on the PR face for a year then just drop interest when the world has stopped scrutisining.

9/11 changed the way we fly.
If the world cannot take decisive action Corona Virus might mean we have to take a test at the airport before fly.

As I said in my earlier post in 2009 swine flu outbreak this was what was happening in airports across the planet. Yet not this time, and I have no idea why.

But yes, this now will be 'a thing' for travellers I think, regardless of where you're going to and from. Airport health check, if something seems iffy, you will be told to go home and seek medical investigation instead of flying.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But would the rest of the worlds governments be wrong to seek compensation from China because they covered up the outbreak. This isn't the first time they have had an outbreak as they managed to contain the SARS outbreak without infecting the whole planet. Its fair to say this type of pandemic could in theory start anywhere in the world and blaming one country because of a natural phenomena is wrong. But the main reason this has infected the whole world is because the authoritarian system of government in China encourages people to hide things for fear of reprisals.

Is it not correct to say this is pandemic has its roots in the authoritarian principles of Chinese government and the rest of the world has a right to feel aggrieved.
My view as well.
That was my initial point when I mentioned that China has a lot to answer for.

I do still believe that as a minimum, they should make available sufficient funding to pay for the funerals of those many ten's of thousands of those who died as a result of covid 19.

Skills

Snitch
But would the rest of the worlds governments be wrong to seek compensation from China because they covered up the outbreak. This isn't the first time they have had an outbreak as they managed to contain the SARS outbreak without infecting the whole planet. Its fair to say this type of pandemic could in theory start anywhere in the world and blaming one country because of a natural phenomena is wrong. But the main reason this has infected the whole world is because the authoritarian system of government in China encourages people to hide things for fear of reprisals.

Is it not correct to say this is pandemic has its roots in the authoritarian principles of Chinese government and the rest of the world has a right to feel aggrieved.
That would just motivate them to hide it even more next time.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Interestingly I've had a few friends say they've been on calls this morning and it sounds like further lockdown is pending.

I'm taking it as gossip at this point but it wouldn't surprise me if they've decided the only way they can handle the easter break is full lockdown.
I think so. The weather's cooling off in the NW at least which'll stop the picnics and sun-bathing, but we all have a picture in our heads of what normally happens at Easter. It's the start of the season, really and people go out. Of course, things won't be open but they'll still want to go out.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Thing is man, you have to think about this realistically. Think how big China is, and how many different LEGAL food markets are in each multi-million person city. Then imagine how many illegal/unlicensed sellers are in that same city, then imagine the enormity of trying to police that situation, especially when a lot of exotic meat is purchased black market by the extremely rich.....and also, sold on the sly by the very poor who need to eat something.

It's an unstoppable entity, sadly.

Drugs are illegal. Think how many dealers live and operate in your home-town, if you're from the UK. Sure, one of them might get busted now and again, does that stop the influx of illegal drugs? No, because demand will bring supply and the same goes for these wet markets.

Finally, the Chinese government need to actually want to stop them, by putting in a monumental effort. It's far more likely that they'll put on the PR face for a year then just drop interest when the world has stopped scrutisining.
Thank you man, I had actually given it some thought and do not disagree with you, it is not easy to imagine how we attempt to protect ourselves beyond expecting China to take responsibility for how their citizens choose to live. Choose being their responsibility.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I just went down a YouTube comments rabbit hole after someone I know posted a video of some gobshite spouting nonsense on Facebook about 5G. Which was a terrible idea. Conspiracy theory types are the absolute worst.
I posted an article in this thread on this subject the other day. People have been destroying and setting fire to the masts, then attacking the engineers that come out to fix them. What made it even more ridiculous and absurd, was that most of the masts they were destroying didn't even contain 5G technology due to the slow rollout of it. So they were destroying 3G and 4G masts.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Not much "European solidarity" is seen in these extremely tough times. The thought of my country having to rely on our corrupt and absolutely inadequate government is seriously scaring me.

I hope my nation finally wakes up amidst these unprecedented events, our future has been at stake for decades now and this might be the last chance to try and change our current course. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the majority of people have the mental capacity to do it and we also don't have any proper alternative leaders.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Would they all be protected contractually by 'force majeure'? I mean this is genuinely the most true example of that in living memory!
I have had discussions about this being a force majeure and I tend to think it is, despite the governments advice to carry on working. We will see how this pans out but I suspect there will be companies incorrectly using the crisis to defend their poor performance. If a subcontractor made a terrible cock up and forgot to order something they would be mad not to.

Skills

Snitch
I have had discussions about this being a force majeure and I tend to think it is, despite the governments advice to carry on working. We will see how this pans out but I suspect there will be companies incorrectly using the crisis to defend their poor performance. If a subcontractor made a terrible cock up and forgot to order something they would be mad not to.
I think there's going to be quite a load of lawsuits on the back of this. I recently found out, the company I work for does have some sort of protection built into their contracts for a time like this (not necessarily pandemic cover but in a sudden drop in business is written into the contracts) but the customers are outright refusing/incapable of paying at the moment.

There's going to be a lot of mess that will need sorting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Think how big China is, and how many different LEGAL food markets are in each multi-million person city. Then imagine how many illegal/unlicensed sellers are in that same city, then imagine the enormity of trying to police that situation, especially when a lot of exotic meat is purchased black market by the extremely rich.....and also, sold on the sly by the very poor who need to eat something.
I think this is the bit many don't seem to get. Consuming rare wild animal meats, rhino horn, elephant tusk dust etc are a true signal of prestige in China and believed to enhance a persons capabilities. It's a habit that goes back many generations and is deeply etched into cultural folklore and norms. It's exactly the very rich, influential and powerful (probably including Xi Jinping and the rest of his party elders) who consume in this trade and passionately believe in its benefits. So why would they ever agree to give up a cultural norm they passionately believe in, which goes on inside their own culture and country?

Non Chinese people may not understand or agree with this habit, just as Chinese, or Arabs or Africans don't understanding many European habits and norms. But even in 21st century globalised world, different cultures still practice fundamentally different habits. And in this instance, China's key decision makers you seek to influence are the main advocates of that habit. I can't see how anyone could credibly convince China to change.

Last edited:

Virgil

Not much "European solidarity" is seen in these extremely tough times. The thought of my country having to rely on our corrupt and absolutely inadequate government is seriously scaring me.

I hope my nation finally wakes up amidst these unprecedented events, our future has been at stake for decades now and this might be the last chance to try and change our current course. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the majority of people have the mental capacity to do it and we also don't have any proper alternative leaders.
If ever there was a time and place for the EU to prove that the U.K. was wrong to walk away THIS was the occasion. Sadly they have failed to step up to the plate. No concerted EU effort at all.

Alabaster Codify7

I think this is the bit many don't seem to get. Rare wild animal meats are a true signal of prestige in China and things like Rhino horn or elephant tusk dust believed to enhance a persons capabilities. It's a habit that goes back many generations and is deeply etched into cultural folklore and norms. It's exactly the very rich, influential and powerful (probably including Xi Jinping and the rest of his party elders) who consume in this trade and passionately believe in its benefits. So why would they ever agree to give up a cultural norm they passionately believe in, which goes on inside their own culture and country?

Non Chinese people may not understand or agree with this habit, just as Chinese, or Arabs or Africans don't understanding or agree with many European habits and norms. But even in 21st century globalised world, different cultures still practice fundamentally different habits. And in this instance, China's key decision makers you seek to influence are the main advocates of that habit. I can't see how anyone could credibly convince China to change.

Well put, mate.

We'd all love nothing more than for China and don't forget it's neighbouring countries who also indulge in exotic meats to banish these markets and the trade itself. It's just not that simple.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think this is the bit many don't seem to get. Rare wild animal meats are a true signal of prestige in China and things like Rhino horn or elephant tusk dust believed to enhance a persons capabilities. It's a habit that goes back many generations and is deeply etched into cultural folklore and norms. It's exactly the very rich, influential and powerful (probably including Xi Jinping and the rest of his party elders) who consume in this trade and passionately believe in its benefits. So why would they ever agree to give up a cultural norm they passionately believe in, which goes on inside their own culture and country?

Non Chinese people may not understand or agree with this habit, just as Chinese, or Arabs or Africans don't understanding or agree with many European habits and norms. But even in 21st century globalised world, different cultures still practice fundamentally different habits. And in this instance, China's key decision makers you seek to influence are the main advocates of that habit. I can't see how anyone could credibly convince China to change.
I wonder if you can understand that this has been discussed and shown many times over many years and is not a new concept to many of us.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just been on the Irish news that there will be in effect road blocks by the police over the Easter period. No one permitted to travel outside of 2km and only travel for essential reasons.

im guessing this will mostly be enforced around the cities and particularly Dublin where the epicenter is. No way would they have enough police to patrol rural Ireland

I hope everyone has a big dollop of common sense over Easter

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If ever there was a time and place for the EU to prove that the U.K. was wrong to walk away THIS was the occasion. Sadly they have failed to step up to the plate. No concerted EU effort at all.
You having that take on it is exactly the reason they pulled this stunt:

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson urged to explain 'ideological' refusal of EU help buying medical equipment

The EU is working as it should for countries that wish to use it. Good luck finding these reports on BBC news. It would have been a PR disaster for this government to have demostrated the benefit of EU membership and it's a stark reminder that Johnson, Raab and Hancock are in their roles for a single reason - Brexit. To hell with everything else.

worldgonemad

This governments very existance revolves around being anti-EU, the only reason those cabinet ministers are in the job is because they are strongly anti-EU and able to spin a good tale around it, no other qualification was required. Any thought they have on how to manage this crisis appropriately will trail behind their primal instinct of being a Brexit sycophant.

So remarkable yes, but not in the least surprising.
Out of interest, could anybody explain to me what the EU has done as a collective thats any different to what we have in the uk? Have they shared PPE or ventilators as part of an EU wide agreement.? Have they shared Doctors and Nurses? Has there been any form of EU wide agreement on lockdown, both in timings and severity, or EU wide agreement on travel?
Im not been arsey by the way, im genuinely interested if the EU has actually acted as one, helping member states equally, or has it been a free for all, every state for itself. I know Germany has taken limited numbers from other states but im not aware that this was agreed in Brussels. I seem to recall that early in the pandemic Italy were asking for financial help but the silence from the rest of the EU was defening.