SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Foxbatt

Weren’t France using it weeks ago?
Don't know about France but even in UK they are doing with the drug for hiv and this too. Seems people are recovering and yet it's obvious what works is not clear. Indian recommended to use 400mg twice a day and then 400mg for 7 weeks. This is a small dose and for the frontline workers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It’s also ahead of Australia in it’s timeline and Europe was the epicenter.
Try thinking a little more scientific with your comparisons Wibble.
At some point you’d hope people start to understand that unless you can say how many infected people were in a city/country when Italy kicked off, these comparisons are utterly pointless and as unscientific as claiming the Earth is flat.
I am a scientist. Formerly a biologist and data science is part of my current occupation. Whatever the situation in a specific country fail to enforce social distancing and freedom of movement the greater the death toll, in the absence of a treatment or vaccine. You are trading people's lives for immediate economic gain. And unless you are very lucky a huge outbreak that overwhelms your medical system will hapoen in the weeks and months to come.
No, no.

One in 5 people who were TESTED (if your math is correct) will die. There are quite obviously hundreds of thousands who've been infected but haven't been tested.
In Australia under 1% of those confirmed by testing to have been infected have died. About 2.5% of those not yet recovered are in ICU - presunably not all are ventilated.

Last edited:

Smores

No idea who this nutjob is but it perfectly sums up what the government propaganda leads to and why they do it, partisan ignorance. Who knew Talksport > BMA.

Also seen tweets from frontline staff reacting to the attacks from the health secretary and lack of PPE been jumped on called liars. There's apparently loads of PPE.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It's a national disgrace that people are dying because they are not given adequate PPE.
I agree - just as much as that, it is when the very people who are tasked with dealing with the virus on the frontlines, are not being protected from it, meaning they cannot continue to help.What I mean is that my cousin now has to self isolate rather than continue his work, so our already overstretched NHS staff are being crippled even moreso since they are losing capacity thanks to the lack of protection.

Those were an awful two sentences, but I’m sure people can get the jist.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

No idea who this nutjob is but it perfectly sums up what the government propaganda leads to and why they do it, partisan ignorance. Who knew Talksport > BMA.

Also seen tweets from frontline staff reacting to the attacks from the health secretary and lack of PPE been jumped on called liars. There's apparently loads of PPE.
I guess all the NHS staff dying from corona must've caught it from 5g.

Foxbatt

Many other countries are using the HCQ by the front line staff as a protection. Not the UK. I have said long time ago that there is no PPE for the staff. Especially the nurses and others. I have a question too. Why is that immigrant doctors are dying in the UK more?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Many other countries are using the HCQ by the front line staff as a protection. Not the UK. I have said long time ago that there is no PPE for the staff. Especially the nurses and others. I have a question too. Why is that immigrant doctors are dying in the UK more?
I don’t have the answer but it is worth noting that only 55% of people employed in medical roles in the NHS are ‘White’ according the government’s own figures.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I have a question too. Why is that immigrant doctors are dying in the UK more?
There has been a bit of speculation that certain ethnicities could be more susceptible to the virus or its resulting complications. I'd have thought genetic predisposition or social circumstance could be possible contributing factors. There have been calls to study such possibilities but I've yet to see any thorough scientific analysis on it.

A question worth asking though, not least because it's an area I imagine is ripe for pseudo scientific explanation. You only have to look at the slack jawed reaction to anonymous hot take nonsense published in the newspapers to see what a nation of impressionable divs we are.

Suedesi

No way we have a vaccine by October that’s just overoptimistic. In fact if we come out of quarantine before we have sufficiently tested and contact tracing, which we most certainly will, there will be a second peak, quite obviously.

And because of willful ignorance and politicization of everything in this country, there will be huge pressure against re-quarantining and Repub politicians will say “we overreacted the first time and destroyed the economy - won’t let it happen again”.

Don’t see how we avoid a second wave.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No way we have a vaccine by October that’s just overoptimistic. In fact if we come out of quarantine before we have sufficiently tested and contact tracing, which we most certainly will, there will be a second peak, quite obviously.

And because of willful ignorance and politicization of everything in this country, there will be huge pressure against re-quarantining and Repub politicians will say “we overreacted the first time and destroyed the economy - won’t let it happen again”.

Don’t see how we avoid a second wave.
Can't see a vaccine before the end of the year, although with the entire world intensely searching for one, I wouldn't be shocked to see something emerge sooner.

Suedesi

Can't see a vaccine before the end of the year, although with the entire world intensely searching for one, I wouldn't be shocked to see something emerge sooner.
I'm not well versed on the ABC of vaccine making, but Bill Gates, Anthony Fauci and several other doctors I've heard from are on the record saying 12-18 months at the earliest for a vaccine.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think if we have large scale immunisation by the end of 2021 that will be a major achievement. Anything faster will be great of course.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I think if we have large scale immunisation by the end of 2021 that will be a major achievement. Anything faster will be great of course.
You mean by vaccination or by natural herd immunization (if possible as they are talking of second infections)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don’t have the answer but it is worth noting that only 55% of people employed in medical roles in the NHS are ‘White’ according the government’s own figures.
Exactly - plus the less "glamorous" medical specialties often have a higher proportion of BAME doctors. This includes care of the elderly/geriatrics, the very population that's most affected by Covid. It's also worth saying that these specialties are the ones which have little or no opportunity for private work, but that's another issue.

The NHS would collapse overnight without the doctors from India and various African countries.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Not good news for chloroquine. Still holding out hope for hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/health/chloroquine-coronavirus-trump.html

Roughly half the study participants were given a dose of 450 milligrams of chloroquine twice daily for five days, while the rest were prescribed a higher dose of 600 milligrams for 10 days. Within three days, researchers started noticing heart arrhythmias in patients taking the higher dose. By the sixth day of treatment, 11 patients had died, leading to an immediate end to the high-dose segment of the trial.

clarkydaz

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You mean by vaccination or by natural herd immunization (if possible as they are talking of second infections)
Herd immunity will take approx 80% infected or vaccinated. So aiming for that without a vaccine is madness.

There is no reason to suspect we won't develop immunity although immunity to viruses tends to be shorter term than for bacteria. I don't think there have been proven reinfections although it is quite likely if people have compromised immune systems.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not good news for chloroquine. Still holding out hope for hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/health/chloroquine-coronavirus-trump.html

Roughly half the study participants were given a dose of 450 milligrams of chloroquine twice daily for five days, while the rest were prescribed a higher dose of 600 milligrams for 10 days. Within three days, researchers started noticing heart arrhythmias in patients taking the higher dose. By the sixth day of treatment, 11 patients had died, leading to an immediate end to the high-dose segment of the trial.
Did anyone think chloroquine was a treatment? Hydroxychloroquine has been the drug I've heard might be beneficial. And heart problems are a known side effects especially if there are pre-existing conditions.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Is there any idea of what the long-term impact of this virus on sufferers’ health might be? (Obviously I mean those who recover).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The irony of Johnson praising two people who wouldn't be allowed to come under his immigration rules.

Fluctuation0161

From Worldometer the world is sitting on plus-minus 1.8 million confirmed cases of which plus-minus 110000 have died and 410000 have recovered so looking at the amount that dies is around a 5th of the amount that recovers. So with plus-minus 1.3 million active cases out there that can go either way and based on the numbers that have had an outcome then plus minus a quarter of a million people are at risk of losing their lives.
Or, it simply takes longer to get a confirmed recovery.