SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

clarkydaz

Is there any idea of what the long-term impact of this virus on sufferers’ health might be? (Obviously I mean those who recover).
there were reports it can cause scarring in the lungs, which can cause problems later on in life. Not sure how consistent this is

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Is there any idea of what the long-term impact of this virus on sufferers’ health might be? (Obviously I mean those who recover).
I've heard from people who've had mild symptoms they are fine, out running etc. as before. I don't think we know about more severe cases.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Severe cases get scarred lungs which will reduce exercise tolerance, make them more prone to resp infections etc Although there’s evidence from previous SARS outbreaks that they do regain normal function after a year or two.

Of course, we have no data at all on long term outcomes for this particular virus, as it’s not been round long enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did anyone think chloroquine was a treatment? Hydroxychloroquine has been the drug I've heard might be beneficial. And heart problems are a known side effects especially if there are pre-existing conditions.
Lots of people think chloroquine has potential as a treatment. There’s already a WHO study underway with sites in countries all over the world. Obviously jury is still out on both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine. Still waiting for proper RCT results. The Brazilian study mentioned above tells us very little useful that we didn’t know already.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah @Adisa, that just isn't true. The new rules actually make it much easier for the Kiwi to come here, and the Portuguese guy would also easily quality.
I think all nurses from anywhere in the world would qualify. The problem will be in social care I think because they’ll earn less than the lowered minimum for people in the health sector.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah @Adisa, that just isn't true. The new rules actually make it much easier for the Kiwi to come here, and the Portuguese guy would also easily quality.
I think all nurses from anywhere in the world would qualify. The problem will be in social care I think because they’ll earn less than the lowered minimum for people in the health sector.
That's right, but not just social care, there's the likes of crop picking as well. I think the idea is that the rules are not set in stone, they will be adjusted according to need. Whether they can be adjusted quickly enough and what we'll be left with at the end of it, or rather any particular stage of it, are unknowns of course.

Smores

Looks like they're sticking to the non apology that allows the right wing nutters the space to call the lack of PPE a myth/left wing hoax.

Classical Mechanic

That's right, but not just social care, there's the likes of crop picking as well. I think the idea is that the rules are not set in stone, they will be adjusted according to need. Whether they can be adjusted quickly enough and what we'll be left with at the end of it, or rather any particular stage of it, are unknowns of course.
Ironically a load of English people will be picking those crops this year. I saw a segment on it on the news or such the other day. It looks a shit job because you have to keep kneeling and then standing so it’s bad for your back. I couldn’t help but think that it surely could be mechanised in some way to make it easier.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Looks like they're sticking to the non apology that allows the right wing nutters the space to call the lack of PPE a myth/left wing hoax.
“Sorry that people feel..”
That’s such a dismissive comment when someone says that, making it sound like it’s just the public perception. What a horrible bunch of bastards showing their true colours in a crisis

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Ironically a load of English people will be picking those crops this year. I saw a segment on it on the news or such the other day. It looks a shit job because you have to keep kneeling and then standing so it’s bad for your back. I couldn’t help but think that it surely could be mechanised in some way to make it easier.
It's not a job I'd want to do. I think mechanisation in farming is pretty advanced though, it's big business and competitive, they'll be looking for every angle they can. That's not to say a lone individual can't come up with a genius idea though, get out there with your thinking cap on CM!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Germany actually flew in a lot of Rumanians in special flights, some of the pictures of their journey didn't exactly look like social distancing, but I guess that takes a back seat when our precious asparagus is at stake.

Classical Mechanic

It's not a job I'd want to do. I think mechanisation in farming is pretty advanced though, it's big business and competitive, they'll be looking for every angle they can. That's not to say a lone individual can't come up with a genius idea though, get out there with your thinking cap on CM!
For the asparagus it didn’t look that complicated, some sort of contraption to lift the cover and then some sort of grabber to remove the asparagus. For the berries it would be more difficult but at least you can stay kneeling doing that so you’re not constantly knackering your back.

Germany actually flew in a lot of Rumanians in special flights, some of the pictures of their journey didn't exactly look like social distancing, but I guess that takes a back seat when our precious asparagus is at stake.
I think a lot of English have signed up to do it because it’s part of feeding the nation and keeping farms going during the crisis. If they have enough yet I’m not sure.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
For the asparagus it didn’t look that complicated, some sort of contraption to lift the cover and then some sort of grabber to remove the asparagus. For the berries it would be more difficult but at least you can stay kneeling doing that so you’re not constantly knackering your back.
If only Richard Arkwright had been into vegetables instead of cotton, he'd have sorted it all with a steam driven one thousand asparaguses at a time rotating paternoster thing. Not that I care, I've never eaten asparagus.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I assume most of the impact will come from long-term stays in ICU units, particularly if ventilated. I doubt the ones that don't need critical care will have that many consequences of the infection, but too soon to tell.

F-Red

The guy is clueless, they assume that their role is getting it from their own procurement to the distribution centres. They’re effectively blaming trusts for not getting it to the front line quicker.

TheReligion

Abusive
“Sorry that people feel..”
That’s such a dismissive comment when someone says that, making it sound like it’s just the public perception. What a horrible bunch of bastards showing their true colours in a crisis
I don't get it. Why not just apologise? Saying that makes it much worse and the whole issue more awkward.

Josep Dowling

Why do people always have to blame someone for everything? The pandemic is unprecedented, it’s not like we have millions of PPE stockpiled as a just in case measure. PPE supplies are needed worldwide, it’s pretty obvious there will be a supply and demand issue. How exactly is that the Tories fault as you have put it?

TheReligion

Abusive
Because then they are admitting that they’ve made mistakes. They should just shut the feck up if they have nothing positive to say
Could they not just say sorry and explain the issues they have faced? I mean people should understand given the circumstances that this isn't easy for any country.

golden_blunder

Staff
Why do people always have to blame someone for everything? The pandemic is unprecedented, it’s not like we have millions of PPE stockpiled as a just in case measure. PPE supplies are needed worldwide, it’s pretty obvious there will be a supply and demand issue. How exactly is that the Tories fault as you have put it?
It’s more to do with how quickly they reacted and their reaction to date. They knew about this crisis for longer so had extra time to either acquire more sources or repurpose factories to make their own supply. Instead they are pretty much chasing their tail.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Looking good, but experts fear a second peak in 14 days since more and more people seem to be going out, especially now with Easter weekend.

Posh Red

I heard on bbc radio we are far worse equipped than many other countries in Europe. Why do you think that is?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why are the Irish so competitive with the UK?

Always looking to point score. Granted that doesn't apply to everyone but there's quite a theme to it.
It can be tiresome at times, I agree (speaking as an Irishman). It’s mostly a reflexive impulse guided by the historical, geographical and cultural links and power imbalance between our nations, which I’m sure you’ll be able to understand when you think about it.

However, among a small but vocal intellectual clique this reflex is often channeled through a kind of reverse-snobbery, best exemplified by this guy:

I’m sure you guys can handle it though.

Smores

I didn't even get into blame my objections were to the gaslighting and dishonest rhetoric of the government. They're so focused on avoiding blaming that they're spinning that there's no issue at all.

The lack of PPE under these circumstances isn't unprecedented though. We spent money and effort in assessing preparedness for these events in 2016 and identified it as a risk, what mitigations were formed?

We knew about this in January and have we sufficiently ramped up plans for the manufacturing industry to produce PPE? Considering the health secretary only started making public calls for it towards the end of March and manufactures were being turned down with equipment sold offshore instead then I'm going to say not.

F-Red

This isn’t a supply and demand issue, I’ve got companies who I used to buy and sell mobile telecoms from who now have good access to PPE equipment. Supply appears to be fine, it’s all about the government getting it to the front line, which from all accounts is nothing short of a shambles currently. The buck stops with them on this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

They're all just playing from the Lynton Crosby rulebook, get briefed on one message to say and repeat it constantly in the media.

Reminds me of "coalition of chaos" before 2015 election (they were 2 years out). And of course "take back control." :nervous:

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Did anyone think chloroquine was a treatment? Hydroxychloroquine has been the drug I've heard might be beneficial. And heart problems are a known side effects especially if there are pre-existing conditions.
Evidently, yes. I've seen a bunch of trials for this one. Same mechanism. Dear Leader actually warned us that chloroquine had worse side effects!

Flying high

They're all just playing from the Lynton Crosby rulebook, get briefed on one message to say and repeat it constantly in the media.

Reminds me of "coalition of chaos" before 2015 election (they were 2 years out). And of course "take back control." :nervous:

I guess we just have to accept that most people's engagement in politics is limited to around two sentences at a time.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Because then they are admitting that they’ve made mistakes. They should just shut the feck up if they have nothing positive to say
I'm sorry you feel that the Tories won't genuinely apologise because they are lying slimy bastards who are already manoeuvring to blame Brits getting sun in the park for the UK's colossal death rate, rather than the government's abject policy response.

golden_blunder

Staff
I'm sorry you feel that the Tories won't genuinely apologise because they are lying slimy bastards who are already manoeuvring to blame Brits getting sun in the park for the UK's colossal death rate, rather than the government's abject policy response.
:lol: Can’t really put it any better than that