SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Damning read. You look at this. You look at PPE, you look at the planning, you look at milkions spent on tests that don't work, you look at Brexit.
You can see a theme.
We are being governed by utter morons.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's amazing just how poor journalism is, this whole pandemic is showing the journalists to be pretty much amateurs. They're just taking any interview they do as truth, not getting sources verified, or quotes, and they're always bending their articles to their own thoughts.

You guys here are more trustworthy than they are, well apart from the religious nutjob.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Seems to me that Covid-19 should have been absolutely tearing through South America, sub-Saharan Africa and tropical Asia by now. I know numbers may be dodgy and all that, but surely we’d be hearing of major outbreaks by now if this virus is as potent in tropical climates as in more temperate regions? Or maybe I’m missing some major news.
Only have anecdotal information about West Africa, but my family & friends have said that in Ghana & Nigeria - people who flew into the international airports were being screened for high temperature/fever as early as February.

For Ghana specifically, the government placed international travellers into enforced quarantine for 14 days at various hotels, and tested them at some point in the last 2 weeks of March (my mum landed March 14 and didn't have to quarantine). If I remember correctly, as of end of March, there were about 150 cases, approx 2/3 of them were from those in the hotels, and the remaining third came from the general Ghanaian public.
The country then went in lockdown at the start of April, stopped all flights & closed the borders with about 200 reported cases - as of now there are about 900 cases that have been reported and so far about 10 deaths so they're definitely on the uphill part of their peak, but i'm hoping the death rate continues to remain low.

Whether those numbers are 100% accurate is a separate discussion, I don't think any country is reporting accurate numbers right now - but certainly the Ghanaian Government has been very proactive, and because of their early action while the numbers were low - they've certainly saved a lot of lives.
I have a theory on why I think the death rate is so low, but this isn't the thread for that and don't think it's appropriate right now anyway.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Only have anecdotal information about West Africa, but my family & friends have said that in Ghana & Nigeria - people who flew into the international airports were being screened for high temperature/fever as early as February.

For Ghana specifically, the government placed international travellers into enforced quarantine for 14 days at various hotels, and tested them at some point in the last 2 weeks of March (my mum landed March 14 and didn't have to quarantine). If I remember correctly, as of end of March, there were about 150 cases, approx 2/3 of them were from those in the hotels, and the remaining third came from the general Ghanaian public.
The country then went in lockdown at the start of April, stopped all flights & closed the borders with about 200 reported cases - as of now there are about 900 cases that have been reported and so far about 10 deaths so they're definitely on the uphill part of their peak, but i'm hoping the death rate continues to remain low.

Whether those numbers are 100% accurate is a separate discussion, I don't think any country is reporting accurate numbers right now - but certainly the Ghanaian Government has been very proactive, and because of their early action while the numbers were low - they've certainly saved a lot of lives.
I have a theory on why I think the death rate is so low, but this isn't the thread for that and don't think it's appropriate right now anyway.
All sounds very positive, great to hear.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's amazing just how poor journalism is, this whole pandemic is showing the journalists to be pretty much amateurs. They're just taking any interview they do as truth, not getting sources verified, or quotes, and they're always bending their articles to their own thoughts.

You guys here are more trustworthy than they are, well apart from the religious nutjob.
How do you verify something where some scientists disagree with other scientists?

As long as the journalist doesn't state one opinion as fact over another. This world would be unrecognisable without journalism.

vidic blood & sand

I remember when the swine flu was breaking out, there were some wild claims in the media.

Third of the world would be infected.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/12/swine-flu-report-pandemic-predicted

65,000 could die
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-pandemic-warning-helpline

392 died in the UK

fergieisold

Of course the UK and US, especially, aren't because they ignored the crisis for weeks and were even shipping PPE abroad. According to epidemiologists in the NY Times, locking down two weeks earlier would have averted 90% of the deaths that resulted from waiting. All Boris had to do was look at what was happening in Italy and Spain. Even with the advantage of seeing what was coming, he still delayed the lockdown. Doing better than the worst case scenario (400k Britons dying) is hardly an achievement.
My criticism would be of overall planning in the past years. Particularly the pandemic preparedness exercise that highlighted key issues, these should have been dealt with. I think now we are in the grips of the pandemic we've done OK, we've not behaved significantly different to other countries in our measures, but we can always sit and point out what we might have done in hindsight.

Did you even read the article?!?!?!
Yeh, it's weird. Basically an article wanting to suggest Boris has basically been on holiday and not bothered with COVID-19. The good bits are things surrounding planning for a pandemic which should have been better - this is the key to our our problems now. Not lockdown a week later, not Boris absent from COBRA meeting. The UK is doing OK I think, Like I said above we aren't behaving in some insane relaxed way...we're in lockdown and people are picking fault with whether it should have been a week or two earlier. Some countries aren't even in lockdown!

Ady87

My brother-in-law owns a couple of barber shops and lockdown has crippled him. He is paying 6 staff out of his own pocket currently and his landlord is being a nightmare. Lease is due to soon with a fairly big payment due on renewal and when he asked for some co-operation the landlord said that tenants that are difficult during this period won’t get their leases renewed. My sister found various websites on how to commit suicide including videos on his laptop after he was acting funny. I can imagine this is far from an isolated case as it stands and it’s put huge strain on the family. I’m probably going to need to give them a big chunk of my house deposit just to get through this period as I’m quite fortunate with my position/employer at the minute and not at risk. Hope this virus fecks off soon.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
My friend who is a nurse is on day 13 of self-isolation after getting symptoms. They literally never managed to test her and now there's no real point.

She could potentially be, and wants to be, working in a Dublin hospital. Madness

Should add that she was told she 'slipped through the system', so hopefully it isn't the norm.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
My brother-in-law owns a couple of barber shops and lockdown has crippled him. He is paying 6 staff out of his own pocket currently and his landlord is being a nightmare. Lease is due to soon with a fairly big payment due on renewal and when he asked for some co-operation the landlord said that tenants that are difficult during this period won’t get their leases renewed. My sister found various websites on how to commit suicide including videos on his laptop after he was acting funny. I can imagine this is far from an isolated case as it stands and it’s put huge strain on the family. I’m probably going to need to give them a big chunk of my house deposit just to get through this period as I’m quite fortunate with my position/employer at the minute and not at risk. Hope this virus fecks off soon.
Cant he furlough his staff?

Not a good place for him to be in, but good that you can help them out for the time being.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This is the grim reality of the economic side and should be read by everyone who thinks health and the economy are separate issues to be dealt with individually

arnie_ni

Not a good place for him to be in, but good that you can help them out for the time being.
Furlough money hasnt came through yet.

He should have received 10k grant for each store if he pays rates though, unless that was just in northern ireland?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this not the guy that wss interviewing a scientist a few weeks ago and the scientist more or less called him a liar
Yes. He's an attention seeker who for the most part can and should be ignored.

Alabaster Codify7

Honestly man, can you PM me it? I love hearing about and reading things like this. I'm being serious, I'd love to read your views on it.

Virgil

Sad thing is if the UK government had shut down a week earlier for the same 5 week period, we'd have something like half the number of deaths and infections we do now. Maybe less

I am not so sure. I am surprised that no one seems to have made a link between the fact that mid February saw half term throughout England with the world and his wife going abroad either skiing or seeking the sun. I wonder how many came back infected without knowing it? Now had you have said we should have locked down at the beginning of Feb I would have agreed with your supposition. Just a thought on my part.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A lot of papers running with the story that UK schools will reopen in three weeks.

Ady87

He has but is still waiting for money to come in from the scheme and he felt he couldn’t leave his staff with nothing or he probably wouldn’t have staff to return to work when he does re-open, if he even can.

This is the grim reality of the economic side and should be read by everyone who thinks health and the economy are separate issues to be dealt with individually
It’s woken me up a bit to be honest. I’ve been working from home for about 6 weeks now with my girlfriend on maternity in our own bubble and it’s really hit home. I feel a bit helpless now as I can’t even go round to see him. My sister is a nurse so the stress and anxiety of that is compounding the issues. You’re right though, I’d previously paid little attention to the economy until it affected those close to me.

Rafaeldagold

Is anyone else a little concerned by how things such as an NHS app is being developed tracking our movements to see our contacts , which although useful right now, could become permanent after?
We’re all very compliant & obedient which again is brilliant right now.

Just a bit uneasy about it all,

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
it's a nightmare.

I don't envy those who are tasked to make these decisions.

However since no one with serviceable grey matter believes we're in lockdown until we get a vaccine, we need to put on our grown up pants and make these big decisions.

How we're managing the period between lockdown and vaccine is an enormous decision and I'm afraid we can do relatively little to influence our decision makers. We just have to trust whatever they decide and be ready to punish them at the ballot box if they make a mistake.
How about you stop talking down to people about putting on their grown up pants?

you disagree with many here but try to treat people with respect. No-one has been through this before, many think they have an answer but no one knows for sure. everything is a gamble. So, let’s show some respect eh?

Sparky Rhiwabon

Article is fecking nuts, if even half of it's true Borris and his cabinet will have to walk.
Nah, this lot are untouchable and Boris has strengthened his popularity amongst the masses having bravely fought off the virus

JMack1234

The problem is when you actually sit down and think about things, and this is going to be negative ... but people are fecked as in seriously fecked.

everything is actually a lose lose situation. It's like a script from a saw movie.

Say we go for 'gradual lockdown release' if we loosen restrictions, no mass gatherings etc. yeah sure kids are back in school, some businesses open up again. But then what about all the businesses that require 'mass gatherings' to basically function .
The businesses that require huge numbers of staffing levels, what happens to these staff members when the furlough inevitably stops and if it doesn't, who is paying for it?

There's a gigantic domino effect - less people spending money - less revenue- staff cuts. You're talking thousand upon thousands of working class people left jobless and unable to feed their families.

If you come out of lockdown and go for Belarus mode. People are gonna drop like flies. Nhs will be fecked.

Other option, completely restrict the elderly and those with health conditions from leaving their home.
You're basically imprisoning a large portion of the country.

Or option four, Pogues theory of the human race being wiped out.

Yeah we're fecked. But at least Liverpool probably won't win the league. And even if they do there'll be no fans there to see it.
Absolutely.

You think about Old Trafford. The burger bars and cafes are going their biggest source of income. People earning a bit of cash in the stadium working on the concourse or as stewards are losing income so are going to spend less in the rest of the economy and so on.

A lot people seem to be under the impression that you can put the economy on ice and then re-start it. You can't.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Is anyone else a little concerned by how things such as an NHS app is being developed tracking our movements to see our contacts , which although useful right now, could become permanent after?
We’re all very compliant & obedient which again is brilliant right now.

Just a bit uneasy about it all,
Couldn't you just delete the app ?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's not immanent.

Everyone knows that UK is keeping the restrictions for the next three weeks and the lockdown currently enjoys a seismic level of public support so we are were we are.

However, we won't be here for ever. It's impossible to impose a lockdown on a people who don't want to be confined to their home. So it's imperative that the government formulate an exit plan the public can believe in and I'm not alone in thinking that. A certain Prof Ferguson agrees with me.

So again, lets get serious and discuss what post lockdown limbo we'll be cool with,
it’s not impossible, the Chinese did it. Why do British people assume that a hard lockdown isn’t on the cards IF absolutely necessary?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Is this not the guy that wss interviewing a scientist a few weeks ago and the scientist more or less called him a liar
Yes. He's an attention seeker who for the most part can and should be ignored.
Yes. He is a journalist we shouldn't particularly rate.

However given the criticism that has been levelled at the UK's media for failing to scrutinise their government's response, I think the fact that the details of the ST's and Guardian's very critical reports have be corroborated by Peston (a high profile journalist who has long been accused of being overly government-friendly) is itself noteworthy.