SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Apparently even the patients who recover don't appear to have developed enough IgF antibodies and even the antibodies don't sustain longer than two months, causing reinfection to be a possibility.

This virus is biologically worse than any kind of catastrophe anyone even imagined.
Source for that?

F-Red

Apparently even the patients who recover don't appear to have developed enough IgF antibodies and even the antibodies don't sustain longer than two months, causing reinfection to be a possibility.

This virus is biologically worse than any kind of catastrophe anyone even imagined.
I think you need to caveat with that the above hasn’t been conclusive yet, even the WHO are saying they don’t have an answer on it as it’s unknown still.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Source? Not sure I believe that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It depends. There can be false pulse oximeter readings sure, in cases of hypoperfusion (e.g Raynaud's disease), nail varnish or incorrect use but finger tip sats probe are fairly easy to use, if somebody called me with COVID symptoms with repeated Sats readings in the 80s yeah I'd be confident they should be phoning 111 or an ambulance if symptoms suggestive of respiratory distress

There are some instances for example where we accept low Sats readings, e.g. COPD patients or a recovering infant with bronchiolitis. But its an important clinical vital sign, and in the case of COVID (after respiratory rate) probably the most important factor in deciding whether somebody needs an admission or not. There are plenty of clinical symptoms though however people need to be mindful of, severe shortness of breath and fatigue are red flags.

I'd recommend the paediatric ones still, there's one for kids aged around 2-12 years old, neonatal ones for younger than that. Accuracy for adult ones on kids is less, I think its to do with finger diameter and the sensors
Thanks

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Here's a thread with an explainer and a preprint.

I’ve been making a similar point for a while. Permanent (or even long term) immunity by no means guaranteed after being vaccinated. Crucially, same caveat applies after being infected.

Although, annual booster jab might fix that issue. Or at least take the edge off.

11 of 100 blood donors in Stockholm have had it.
Prof Jan Albert in clinical microbiology at Karolinska reckons it’s over 20% as the antibody test doesn’t catch all cases by any stretch.
Karolinska did this test last week.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/11-procent-av-stockholmarna-har-antikroppar-mot-covid-19

Thoughts @Pogue Mahone & especially @massi83 who doubted my 7.5% optimism last week as “pregnant women are at higher risk”.
They utterly fecked up this small test study by the way, some research gimp is defo getting the sack.
The person who collected the samples didn’t realise that some now healthy Covid-19 survivors were also in there as they have donated plasma.
Shouldn’t be possible, but happened. Now they have to do the test all over again after going out to the World with the results. One of the top medical research universities in the World.
You’d almost laugh if it wasn’t so serious.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Here's a thread with an explainer and a preprint.

His is warning that we haven't developed a vaccine for other human Coronavirus (we haven't but we have done for animals I believe) and that immunity from a vaccine may only last a couple of years. So he is correct that this may be an ongoing fight even if we get a vaccine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They utterly fecked up this small test study by the way, some research gimp is defo getting the sack.
The person who collected the samples didn’t realise that some now healthy Covid-19 survivors were also in there as they have donated plasma.
Shouldn’t be possible, but happened. Now they have to do the test all over again after going out to the World with the results.
Jaysus. That’s not good. I do have some sympathy for the researchers as everyone is doing their research in a crazy hurry, with good reason. Firing out press released based on tiny studied, with dubious design is bad form though. That’s on the health ministry.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His is warning that we haven't developed a vaccine for other human Coronavirus (we haven't but we have done for animals I believe) and that immunity from a vaccine may only last a couple of years. So he is correct that this may be an ongoing fight even if we get a vaccine.
Yeah, his argument is that even flu vaccines which we have been developing for ages are not effective enough against the seasonal flu and it has a way smaller spread/severity compared to the coronavirus. So even if you have a first vaccine that reaches human trials and subsequent approval, it will only be semi-effective and considering the R0, the virus would still be a slightly lesser nightmare to contain.

The best case scenario is one where we do have a vaccine and make a quarterly trip to the hospital or a pop-up tent close-by to get a shot.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He includes a review paper on animal CoV vaccines. It’s not encouraging. They’ve been trying to make them for decades with very limited success.

The only licensed animal CoV vaccines targeted to prevent respiratory CoV infections are IBV vaccines for chickens. These vaccines, administered parenterally, may not protect against the infection but they can reduce the severity of the respiratory signs and prevent involvement of the kidney and reproductive tract

cyberman

Maybe this is a stupid qurstion but could we not get just get vaccinated every few years?

Revan

Assumptionman
I’ve been making a similar point for a while. Permanent (or even long term) immunity by no means guaranteed after being vaccinated. Crucially, same caveat applies after being infected.

Although, annual booster jab might fix that issue. Or at least take the edge off.
I don't think anyone who knows something about it was expecting permanent immunity. The question is if we'll get immunity for 3 months or 3 years. If it is the former, then it is really bad.

Also, would be interesting to see what happens in the second infection. Would it be as bad as the first one (no immunity at all), worse (dengue fever), or not as bad as the first one? If it is the third case, then that is good news. Hard to know at the moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, his argument is that even flu vaccines which we have been developing for ages are not effective enough against the seasonal flu and it has a way smaller spread/severity compared to the coronavirus. So even if you have a first vaccine that reaches human trials and subsequent approval, it will only be semi-effective and considering the R0, the virus would still be a slightly lesser nightmare to contain.

The best case scenario is one where we do have a vaccine and make a quarterly trip to the hospital or a pop-up tent close-by to get a shot.
The flu vaccine comparison is a bit misleading as flu mutates much more quickly so is a much faster moving target. As per the first reply to his tweet, the low r0 for flu he mentions is probably down to existing herd immunity.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Another thing worth noting from Scott Gottlieb:

The high false positive rate for serology based antibody tests mean that using them to determine letting people back to normalcy is basically like tossing a coin at this point.

Revan

Assumptionman
Shouldn’t be possible, but happened. Now they have to do the test all over again after going out to the World with the results. One of the top medical research universities in the World.
Shit happens in every field. I have seen papers with totally amateurish mistakes (that wouldn't pass an assignment) in top venues of my field. The pressure is to high to do quick results, which also increases the chances of errors.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The flu vaccine comparison is a bit misleading as flu mutates much more quickly so is a much faster moving target. As per the first reply to his tweet, the low r0 for flu he mentions is probably down to existing herd immunity.
That's a good point regarding R0 for the flu.

We also don't have adequate time to determine the mutation rate of the coronavirus, or more specifically this particular strain.

Revan

Assumptionman
One year of immunity from the vaccine wouldn't even be that bad. Just make mandatory vaccination every year (and combine it with the flu vaccine, providing no side effects).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's a good point regarding R0 for the flu.

We also don't have adequate time to determine the mutation rate of the coronavirus, or more specifically this particular strain.
We don’t but if we’re making negative assumptions based on previous CoV (which he does in that thread) we can make positive ones too. CoV just don’t have the same “drift” that flu viruses do. They never have done. Would be extremely unlikely for this one to buck the trend.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Another thing worth noting from Scott Gottlieb:

The high false positive rate for serology based antibody tests mean that using them to determine letting people back to normalcy is basically like tossing a coin at this point.
Another drum I’ve been banging! Immunity passports are a pipe dream. Serology will probably only be useful at a population, not individual, level.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We don’t but if we’re making negative assumptions based on previous CoV (which he does in that thread) we can make positive ones too. CoV just don’t have the same “drift” that flu viruses do. They never have done. Would be extremely unlikely for this one to buck the trend.
Yes indeed as the strains are genetically quite similar. There's so very few of these that have made the animal to human transmission that it feels a little tricky to generalize how they react to selection pressure.

Ady87

https://www.sccl.nhs.uk/letter-of-entrustment.pdf

What is this letter from Matt Hancock actually saying and are there any real world conflict of interests or things to be concerned about?

Two bits of interest:

A. Establishment and Ownership of the Company
SCCL was established on the 25th of July 2017 as a private company limited by shares under the Companies Act 2006 with the intention that it should function as the in-house management function of the NHS Supply Chain. In my capacity as Secretary of State and sole shareholder I wholly own the company and have control over its activities.
And

Purpose of the Company
The nature of business of SCCL as stated in its records at the Companies House is general public administration activities. Its “Business” as defined in its Articles of Association is “the management and co-ordination of NHS supply chain services, including procurement, logistics, e-Commerce, reporting, analysis, quality control, communications, payments, supplier management, emergency response and consultancy services for the provision of everyday hospital consumables, clinical products, home-care and capital equipment and associated services and supplies”.

How does the Health Secretary get to wholly own a company that manages NHS supply chains, procurement etc? Apologies if old news.

Edit: Plenty on a Twitter about this and how 5,000 public sector contracts were novated to this private company and that some of the procurement issues we are seeing now could be as a result of these supply chains being turned upside down.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Another drum I’ve been banging! Immunity passports are a pipe dream. Serology will probably only be useful at a population, not individual, level.
Could you sum up in a couple of sentences what you think is most likely to happen?

Not what could happen (it will be like Dengue Fever and end civilisation), but what you think will happen.

massi83

:lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Publishing something on the back of 100 tests was always a bit ridiculous to be honest.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Couldn't the tests improve with more time and more data?
They could improve but the sort of reliability you’d need for this passport is very very unlikely. Even if the test has 99% specificity, which would be remarkable, one out of every 100 passports would be assigned to someone with no immunity. Scale that up to a population and that’s not a working proposition.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They could improve but the sort of reliability you’d need for this passport is very very unlikely. Even if the test has 99% specificity, which would be remarkable, one out of every 100 passports would be assigned to someone with no immunity. Scale that up to a population and that’s not a working proposition.
Depending on the cost of the test, one possible way is to do what the army does with HIV tests, basically doing it 3-5 times on the same person, requiring they pass all of them before giving them a green light.

That is if it ever reaches 99% specificity of course.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Could you sum up in a couple of sentences what you think is most likely to happen?

Not what could happen (it will be like Dengue Fever and end civilisation), but what you think will happen.
I think the most likely scenario is that this ends up as a perennial epidemic, peaking every year, for the next few years. Possibly indefinitely.

There’s a good chance it will get less lethal over time and I do think we’ll eventually develop medicines that reduce mortality. I also think we’ll eventually develop some sort of useful vaccine (which may need annual boosters) but this will take several years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Depending on the cost of the test, one possible way is to do what the army does with HIV tests, basically doing it 3-5 times on the same person, requiring they pass all of them before giving them a green light.
Yes. Good point. Hadn’t even thought of that! 99% specificity repeated several times would be pretty damn reliable.

Kopral Jono

My partner has just learned that a good friend of hers died last week as a result of complications from coronavirus. He was only 38.

He suffered from a type of lung cancer when he was younger and (in spite of it) was a heavy smoker. But it's still devastating how a fit young man who from the outside looked healthy and full of energy not too long ago, succumbed to an infection where most people under 40 would only go on to have a mild version of it, if any.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think the most likely scenario is that this ends up as a perennial epidemic, peaking every year, for the next few years. Possibly indefinitely.

There’s a good chance it will get less lethal over time and I do think we’ll eventually develop medicines that reduce mortality. I also think we’ll eventually develop some sort of useful vaccine (which may need annual boosters) but this will take several years.
Sounds right to me. I do have some confidence that we will get a vaccine sooner than several years, with the proviso that it is far from a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

What's the news here? Of course infection rate will rise when some restrictions are listed. It's literally the parameter they're looking at when trying to figure out how much of society they can open.
Yep, it's a scare-mongering headline. Of course infections are coming back when lockdown ends, anyone who thinks a country is going to hit zero deaths and zero infections then get on with their normal lives is a child, basically. I hate this type of scare-mongering journalism. We all know its here for a long time, that's not the point.

Heard from a few different people that live down in Cork. Quite a few English tourists came over to holiday homes during the Easter holidays.
how the duck is this allowed to happen?
I don't know, I can only assume that it's because there isn't actually a travel ban in a lot of countries. It's something that's highly discouraged but not it's not exactly a ban. There was a poster in here a few pages back who flew home to the UK from Switzerland but a few posts before him, someone from Switzerland/Italy claimed the Swiss borders were completely closed apart from key workers. Which is clearly not completely true. Could they have possibly come over to Ireland on the ferry rather than flying? Perhaps they are dual citizens or something? (Unsure if that can actually be a thing with Ireland/UK, just asking).

In Lithuania, we’ve started to ease some restrictions, another wave of loosening measures (barbers, cafes/restaurants with outside terraces, planned operations etc.) will come next week if all goes well. Looking at yesterday’s test results I think optimism is not totally baseless as from 6k+ tests only 20 came back positive.

Brilliant news, good on Lithuania.