SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Full bodied red

Well done for being just as wrong now, after giving yourself 5 weeks of research time between posts.

Use the conspiracy thread.

So I listen to people like yourself, ostensibly football fans, who post the sum of their their knowledge on a football website, or I listen to a Nobel Prizxe winning Scientist.

Hmmmm.....Let me think....

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So I listen to people like yourself, ostensibly football fans, who post the sum of their their knowledge on a football website, or I listen to a Nobel Prizxe winning Scientist.

Hmmmm.....Let me think....
Hang on. Might owe you an apology. What’s your position here?

That the Nobel fella from Japan believes it’s man made?

Feel I may have the wrong end of the stick.

Alabaster Codify7

Michael Osterholm was asked this and he said the opposite. That the virus is too good to be manufactured in a lab. Man is no match for nature, not yet, according to him.
I see!

Never got why people get so outraged over that? What the hell is wrong with people wanting to get fresh air and natural light?
Yeah it's a pet peeve of mine. Do it's okay for YOU to go there but not for anyone else. It's like when you go to some famous tourist attraction and some pretentious cnut is moaning about there being too many tourists around. Uhhhhh you are a tourist yourself you pretentious cnut.

"I hate that all these other people want to see the amazing thing that I want to see."

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
depends how normal, if pubs and venues for general gathering reopen then it will definitely spike hard, if it's, like, "okay, you can go your friends house once a month" you will have more cases but might avoid hard spikes.
Would people listen to that though? If lockdown was eased, how many would see that as a green light to organise a bit meet up with quite a few friends and a lot of alcohol? Of course that's probably happening now, but still.

It's like if the Premier League goes ahead behind closed doors, but free to watch on TV, would that result in big groups getting together due to no pubs being open to show it?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
260 deaths reported today in Italy, the lowest number since March 14th.

Tonight Conte holds a press conference to announce the details of Phase 2, it looks like we'll be able to move around more from May 4th albeit with a permissions form and masks. Looking forward to the details, it's been a long time since we left the village at all.

Alabaster Codify7

Would people listen to that though? If lockdown was eased, how many would see that as a green light to organise a bit meet up with quite a few friends and a lot of alcohol? Of course that's probably happening now, but still.

It's like if the Premier League goes ahead behind closed doors, but free to watch on TV, would that result in big groups getting together due to no pubs being open to show it?
You are right but if lockdown ended in October,these same concerns apply. Same as if it was January. Same conversations being had behind closed governmental doors. They will be basing it on how much different will it be in July compared to October, in terms of casualties against economic destruction. If it's negligible difference, they'll go for July to salvage something of the economy. If this virus is going nowhere we need to live with it, npt hide from it indefinitely because that'll leave us with nothing to return to.

Alabaster Codify7

260 deaths reported today in Italy, the lowest number since March 14th.

Tonight Conte holds a press conference to announce the details of Phase 2, it looks like we'll be able to move around more from May 4th albeit with a permissions form and masks. Looking forward to the details, it's been a long time since we left the village at all.
Awesome to hear!

arnie_ni

I'd be very for this. I think it's much more helpful and we'd generally see a slight improvement every week. I'm one of those who wants these daily briefings gone as well.

I'd prefer a the every Fri after work giving the weekly total up to 4pm that same day. With 1-2 more briefings from Sun-Fri. These daily repetitions are becoming an annoyance and the daily fluctuation of numbers are messing with some people's heads and mental well-being. It's too much up and down on a daily basis, summarise it every week.
If they srcap the daily briefings people will take that as a sign the government thinks it isnt a bad as when they brought them in. They'll start to flaunt social distancing rules even moreso

gormless

I don’t ever post ITK stuff, but this has been relayed to me by someone who has the inside track on this, here goes:

Oxford Vaccine trial volunteers experiencing more side effects than expected apparently. Chris Witty apparently wasn’t very optimistic about how it’s looking so far, is what I’ve been told. I’m sure this will leak eventually and honestly I’ll take a permanent ban if it turns out to be bullshit.

I’d be happy to PM the mods as to who I’ve got this from.
Well reading that has ruined my evening.

arnie_ni

I did wonder that but as interest still accrues in the three months I figured you’d be in a net negative if you just paid that lump sum afterwards. Could be wrong though.
Its different for everyone, im furloughed on 80 percent, but due to social distancing and not spending money on anything except essentials, im saving more than the 20 percent i was losing.

30 percent of my salary a month went to me, restaurants, take out, nights out, cinema, diesel, clothes, lunch at work etc. which im saving virtually in full now.

My savings bank balance has increased more per month than it used to by about 10 percent of my salary.

Alabaster Codify7

If they srcap the daily briefings people will take that as a sign the government thinks it isnt a bad as when they brought them in. They'll start to flaunt social distancing rules even moreso
Yeah I get you. I know where you're coming from but they are still completely pointless. I will script tomorrow's for you, just off tje top of my head:

- Boris thanks the NHS really earnestly while staring down the camera and appearing 'just like us'.
- Social distancing and the lockdown is working but its too early to think about exiting.
- We shouldn't expect a sudden drop, its a marathon not a sprint.
- We thank everyone for behaving but this must continue.
- We have flattened the curve but the hard work continues.
- There IS enough PPE.
- (Journalist 1) - "when is lockdown ending?"
- (Journalist 2) - "where is the PPE?"
- Briefing closes.

Its the pits, its insulting our intelligence now, it was very useful at the beginning.

France

Hospital
+152 dead, 12,202 total

Care home
+90 dead, 8654 total

I know its a Sunday but those are good numbers for France.

King Eric 7

I know the mathematically challenged woman is going to steal everyone's attention, but the guy in a hazmat suit with the "Covid-19 is a lie" poster is just as funny.

arnie_ni

Yeah I get you. I know where you're coming from but they are still completely pointless. I will script tomorrow's for you, just off tje top of my head:

- Boris thanks the NHS really earnestly while staring down the camera and appearing 'just like us'.
- Social distancing and the lockdown is working but its too early to think about exiting.
- We shouldn't expect a sudden drop, its a marathon not a sprint.
- We thank everyone for behaving but this must continue.
- We have flattened the curve but the hard work continues.
- There IS enough PPE.
- (Journalist 1) - "when is lockdown ending?"
- (Journalist 2) - "where is the PPE?"
- Briefing closes.

Its the pits, its insulting our intelligence now, it was very useful at the beginning.

I know its a Sunday but those are good numbers for France.
Oh i agree at this stage they're pointless,.i stopped watching after the first couple of weeks.

Its just about appearances at this stage

Heardy

Its different for everyone, im furloughed on 80 percent, but due to social distancing and not spending money on anything except essentials, im saving more than the 20 percent i was losing.

30 percent of my salary a month went to me, restaurants, take out, nights out, cinema, diesel, clothes, lunch at work etc. which im saving virtually in full now.

My savings bank balance has increased more per month than it used to by about 10 percent of my salary.
sorry by net negative I meant that by taking a mortgage holiday for three Months but then making a lump payment at the end will be disadvantageous / cost you more.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Israel preparing to ease the lockdown, some interesting measures:

Alabaster Codify7

It's very thorough, as to be expected from Israel. It's interests me for other reasons, which I won't go into (personal reasons). It's good to see they're moving forward with a clear, concise plan and seem very confident in that plan. Jordan is also interesting, to me. They've also handled it so well that the government is currently aiming for lifting travel bans at the end of May (obviously, barring some unpredicted catastrophe).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I like that approach. Although obviously unenforceable, right? Or will those scores be somehow made official?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I like that approach. Although obviously unenforceable, right? Or will those scores be somehow made official?
I’ve no idea how they’ll go about it, it seems extremely ambitious although I’d say they might have some advantages in a bureaucratic sense due to the army reserve.

Alabaster Codify7

It is yeah but it's a common sense approach that I reckon the vast majority of countries will soon be taking. If we have to live with this virus for the foreseeable future, the underlying message is going to be "if you are at risk/vulnerable, keep yourself safe and isolated.....if not, sorry, you might die". It might sound harsh but people cannot be hand-held through life, if they don't follow the instructiosn they might be in trouble. Might, of course, as there have been 100yr olds who have walked away from this - so there will be at-risk people that take the gamble.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Russia has banned all export of wheat until July. They are the largest exporter of wheat in the world. If countries starts doing things like this, we will have a rather problematic supply chain in many nations. And this after WHO has warned countries to not stop exporting, and Russia praised WHO two days ago as a countercomment to Trumps defunding of them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Dr. Jerome Kim, the Director General of the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) shares his expert insight on the development of a vaccine for COVID-19

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

Unless they are are bringing something in whereby the over the 70's are allowed a small circle of visitors (with social distancing applied), then I don't like it.

Both my mum and mother-in-law are 70 + yet fitter than alot of 50 year olds, and both are widows so live alone, so much as they'd accept it better than most age groups would, I'd fear for their mental state if something like this was announced in the UK.

Alabaster Codify7

Massive pinch of salt. Vast majority of people want their lives back. Where are they taking these polls then? Because I and nobody I know has received any kind of questionairre on this at any point. So if they are taking opinions, how are they doing it? If it's via survey then they targeting this survey at a specific group of people not everyone because nobody I know in working class Wales has received any kind of question about this.