SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Suedesi

Luke Montagier is now a total nutter. He believes in all sorts of impossible stuff like homeopathic dilution.
He def doesn't sound mainstream that's for sure - however given his pedigree I had to listen to his interview. Can't claim to understand the intricacies of the field, so I'm not passing judgment on the merits of the argument.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
In case anyone missed it Tasuku Honjo DID NOT say SARS-CoV-2 was man made. Invented bullshit and Luc Montagnier may well once have been a respected scientist but he has gone full tin foil hat in recent decades. He is a joke to his peers.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He def doesn't sound mainstream that's for sure - however given his pedigree I had to listen to his interview. Can't claim to understand the intricacies of the field, so I'm not passing judgment on the merits of the argument.
He is mad as a bag of squirrels. If he told you it was dark outside at midnight I'd advise having a look out to double check.

Montagnier argued that the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic was man-made in China and was the result of an attempt to create a vaccine for HIV/AIDS. His allegation came after the United States had launched a probe into whether the virus came from a laboratory. According to Montagnier, the "presence of elements of HIV and germ of malaria in the genome of coronavirus is highly suspect and the characteristics of the virus could not have arisen naturally." However this was described as "a conspiracy vision that does not relate to the real science" by Jean-Francois Delfraissy, an immunologist and head of the scientific council that advises the French government on the COVID-19 pandemic
And malaria is a parasite not a virus which would make combining genes from each utterly pointless and probably fatally destructive for the virus. And even if not why would malaria genes have any effect on HIV at all?

It is pure fantasy that only exists in this bloke's head.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is mad as a bag of squirrels. If he told you it was dark outside at midnight I'd advise having a look out to double check.

And malaria is a parasite not a virus which would make combining genes from each utterly pointless and probably fatally destructive for the virus. And even if not why would malaria genes have any effect on HIV at all?

It is pure fantasy that only exists in this bloke's head.
Malaria, hydroxychloroquine ... it all makes sense now.

Probably not.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Massive pinch of salt. Vast majority of people want their lives back. Where are they taking these polls then? Because I and nobody I know has received any kind of questionairre on this at any point. So if they are taking opinions, how are they doing it? If it's via survey then they targeting this survey at a specific group of people not everyone because nobody I know in working class Wales has received any kind of question about this.
Are you serious?!?

FireballXL5

A little old, but quite a mini-scandal
Now is not the time to politicise a very real tragedy.....or something. So let's all enjoy the boost Boris gave us yesterday, clap once a week for NHS staff who we can't even be bothered to pay and protect properly, and just let the govt. get on with doing a shit job without any scrutiny whatsoever.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think he is.

Why would anyone be surprised that the majority of people were worried about coming out of the restrictions too fast when the UK is so far from being in control of the situation?
It was more the ‘They haven’t asked me so the survey is hokey’ that got me.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
A little old, but quite a mini-scandal
I posted that a few days ago and the trouble is the guy hasn't backed up his claim of there being another 127 accounts. He's only posted evidence of one which he says he can trace back to the government which he hasn't posted evidence of either.

The state of his feed afterwards doesn't exactly help him either. Guy needs to tak a minute away from social media for his mental health.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Then suck up the consequences. Im happy to do it.
It’s not about being happy to do it, just having the fecking grip on your willpower to be able to do the necessary thing for a while.

We all know covid-19 is serious but feck me, the people whinging about lockdown have been my biggest bug bare throughout this thing. They started almost immediately. Like toddlers.

2 of my friends parents who live approx 75 meters from my front door were hospitalised with the virus, tested positive and were very ill, still haven’t fully recovered. Thankfully both pulled through but I have other friends who have done nothing but whinge about the restrictions. Sending me WhatsApp messages just saying ‘bored :( ‘ and crap like that. Feck off and sort yourself out.

I know there’s people out there that will be badly affected by lockdown, I get it, but the vast majority of people could suck it up easily but a few are just too twatty minded to do it.

The village I live in has a really close community and a large % of elderly residents. We have all been doing our bit, helping out with shopping, staying in, ringing elderly neighbours, leaving communal gates open and other things. What’s the point if 100’s of people descend on the village over the weekend because it’s sunny and they’ve ‘decided’ they don’t need to lockdown anymore? Infuriating.

Rant over.

cyberman

I think he is.

Why would anyone be surprised that the majority of people were worried about coming out of the restrictions too fast when the UK is so far from being in control of the situation?
Its also why opening up shops etc right now is a waste of time when the majority of people are too wary of the virus to come out in enough numbers to kickstart the econony.
The public needs confidence that the virus is under control

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Its also why opening up shops etc right now is a waste of time when the majority of people are too wary of the virus to come out in enough numbers to kickstart the econony.
The public needs confidence that the virus is under control
Not too sure about that. Yesterday I drove past The Range near me and the queues outside were crazy with about 50 people plus waiting to get in. No way should that have been left open during the lockdown.

Pagh Wraith

Only 1300 new cases and 100 deaths in Germany yesterday. Next few days should be interesting as around Easter two weeks ago mobility started to increase significantly. Walking around town, you almost wouldn't notice we were in the midst of a global pandemic with the parks being packed and the shops being open and restaurants and bars offering take aways. Though the vast majority of people outside are younger than 40 so there might not be a spike in new positive tests.

cyberman

Not too sure about that. Yesterday I drove past The Range near me and the queues outside were crazy with about 50 people plus waiting to get in. No way should that have been left open during the lockdown.
But that wont be everywhere. I expect golf courses to be full with time on peoples hands and you can social distance in the open, i dont see why theyre even closed down. Id go out tomorrow for a round if I could and I take Corona seriously.
I can only use anecdotal evidence but i live on a main street and the shops that are open arent busy at all. One is a bakery that was always packed and they only have 2 or 3 in a line at any given time with a 2 in, 2 out policy.
My GF works in a shop and her hours were cut before the lockdown because the fear kept customers away, the boss ended up offering home deliveries.
If the shops around me arent busy and theyre allowed to stay open, I just cant see how opening up more will attract greater crowds. Its not as if the government wont hammer home the dangers of Corona when they lessen restrictions, the same people respecting the virus will be the same people continuing to do so when Sports Direct opens up down the road.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only 1300 new cases and 100 deaths in Germany yesterday. Next few days should be interesting as around Easter two weeks ago mobility started to increase significantly. Walking around town, you almost wouldn't notice we were in the midst of a global pandemic with the parks being packed and the shops being open and restaurants and bars offering take aways. Though the vast majority of people outside are younger than 40 so there might not be a spike in new positive tests.
Good interview of one of Merkel’s key advisors in all of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-drosten-germany-coronavirus-expert-interview

Pagh Wraith

buchansleftleg

This is just ridiculous - because they sell a few crisps and snacks and pet food they were allowed to stay open. but near us there is a pet shop next door to a "range" and they were told to take things like electric clippers off the shelves and only sell food, not dog toys. You do wonder what the level of knowledge is amongst those enforcing these rules. Sainsbury's have been really good, but Aldi has been awful.

A nearby Aldi was letting people put their used trolleys away...then letting other people grab a trolley while they queue to get in...then at the door a staff member was spraying the handle with disinfectant and wiping it dry with the same micro-fibre cloth on each trolley! This was bad enough but they then started trying to enforce that people had to have a trolley to go in! I refused to take one and was initially denied entry. So I asked to see the Manager and when the staff member went to get them I went in anyway but observed proper social distancing.

If they had been properly sterilised I wouldn't have minded, but as they were actively cross contaminating each trolley I refused as my wife has a suppressed immune system. This is why I fear a relaxation of the rules, because the government hasn't been specific enough and it has often been poorly implemented.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good interview. Drosten sort of has been the country's scientific conscience and while he chooses his words carefully, he has been vocal about reminding the nation of the dangers of this pandemic and warning against reopening business too soon. Whereas some of his colleagues argue in the other direction.
I like his theory that previous infection with other coronaviruses (e.g. one that causes common cold) might give some sort of immunity. It’s obvious but I always assumed research on MERS etc had ruled it out. Would be amazing news if true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Massive pinch of salt. Vast majority of people want their lives back. Where are they taking these polls then? Because I and nobody I know has received any kind of questionairre on this at any point. So if they are taking opinions, how are they doing it? If it's via survey then they targeting this survey at a specific group of people not everyone because nobody I know in working class Wales has received any kind of question about this.
It's an opinion poll, not a vote. There's no reason people you actually know should have been asked.

Not that this means you can't take it with a pinch of salt. That just isn't a good reason to do so.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
They don't get involved in wars, they let people dodge taxes, lederhosen. God I hate Switzerland.
We do too. When we drive through we make sure we don't spend a cent and we only stop to let the dogs wee. It's bad enough having to pay 36.5 euros for the blasted vignette, but that's unavoidable.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Boris Johnson: ‘many people will be looking at our apparent success"

Hmmmm.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I like his theory that previous infection with other coronaviruses (e.g. one that causes common cold) might give some sort of immunity. It’s obvious but I always assumed research on MERS etc had ruled it out. Would be amazing news if true.
Actually I think it was one of the main theories at the beginning why kids are more immune. The theory is that they were exposed more often to corona virus like common cold at school

Smores

Christ i wish we had one of the sensible world leaders during this rather than this panto prime minister.

No detail all bluster and pointless metaphors. To say that we're "winning phase one" is something Trump would say.

Alabaster Codify7

Christ i wish we had one of the sensible world leaders during this rather than this panto prime minister.

No detail all bluster and pointless metaphors. To say that we're "winning phase one" is something Trump would say.

I didn't even bother with it, I don't see the point of this - there's a daily briefing at 5pm today, surely having Boris reappear at that would have been the most apt thing to do. Instead the public are now treated to the exact same, repeated information twice in one day instead of once. It's good that he's back, I hate the bloke but don't wish ill on him and the country needs it's PM right now even if just in a symbolic sense. But there's no need for two public addresses in the same day.

TheReligion

Abusive

I thought that was a good speech to be fair and more of a holding statement. He's just got back to work last night. As much as I'm no Tory there's night and day between Trump and Boris as leaders. Any fool can see that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Well, a lot of the Tory plays are straight out of the Trump handbook, disinformation, telling lies, social media campaigns and distraction techniques.

the country should have known what they were voting for the day BJ decided to hide in a freezer rather than deal with the media

Alabaster Codify7

Well, a lot of the Tory plays are straight out of the Trump handbook, disinformation, telling lies, social media campaigns and distraction techniques.

the country should have known what they were voting for the day BJ decided to hide in a freezer rather than deal with the media

.....and threatened to have a TV station removed from the air for making fun of him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yep. Listening to his piece today, you would think we've made a terrific success of everything.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Actually I think it was one of the main theories at the beginning why kids are more immune. The theory is that they were exposed more often to corona virus like common cold at school
We all have though so I'd be suprised if that was it.

Heardy

I get your rant but I work with psychologists and the amount of information they've been sharing about coping in lockdown is crazy. If professionals have to put out that much information it's not because people need to 'suck it up'. It's because people find it difficulty to mentally cope in a situation like this. Not for all of course but for many people that will be the case, whatever rhetoric they use to describe it.
I understand the mental pressure this has on elderly individuals or people isolated on their own, but teenagers / people in their 20s / 30s who live with friends / family endlessly complaining of boredom is frustrating.

I understand where @Volumiza is coming from - some people need to acknowledge that a level of self-sacrifice is hugely important and their mild-inconvenience in the short term is far outweighed by the needs of the collective community.

Sure this doesn't account of pressures of people worrying about bills / providing for their family. But some people actually have it relatively cushy right now, but still endlessly moan of boredom. The whole "woe is me" attitude is ridiculous and people don't say anything because of a perceived impact on mental health. I do worry though that this meandering to all actually risks covering up genuine pleas for help from those that are genuinely suffering and are at the edge of reason - which is tragic.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hope so. My fear is that it doesn't give any immunity but does give a positive antibody test. No evidence, just an idea I hope isn't true.