SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Massive pinch of salt. Vast majority of people want their lives back. Where are they taking these polls then? Because I and nobody I know has received any kind of questionairre on this at any point. So if they are taking opinions, how are they doing it? If it's via survey then they targeting this survey at a specific group of people not everyone because nobody I know in working class Wales has received any kind of question about this.
:lol:

Hansa

Massive pinch of salt. Vast majority of people want their lives back. Where are they taking these polls then? Because I and nobody I know has received any kind of questionairre on this at any point. So if they are taking opinions, how are they doing it? If it's via survey then they targeting this survey at a specific group of people not everyone because nobody I know in working class Wales has received any kind of question about this.
None of us will take part in the vast majority of surveys. Researchers only need roughly 1.000+ carefully selected participants to make a statistically valid survey.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
This is a summary of the Italian Phase 2 which has now been announced tonight by PM Conte.
Italy’s Prime Minister on Sunday announced a new set of eased restrictions for the country's 60 million inhabitants, almost two months after the country went into lockdown in reaction to the Covid-19 outbreak.

“Phase 2 starts now,” Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told journalists during the highly awaited TV announcement.
“Now is the time to coexist with the virus”.

“It’s fundamental for each and every one of us to be responsible, we must never approach each other, the safety distance must be at least one metre.”
Conte, 55, went on to explain how his government had decided to proceed on a number of measures which will loosen the confinement measures on May 4th and May 18th.

"We’re going to ease the lockdown from May 4th but there is a system in place which integrates the regions, they will have to inform us on the progress of the epidemiological curve and on the success of the measures", meaning that the central government’s measures are also subject to be approved by regional authorities.

Here are the main points of Italy’s new lockdown restrictions:

Visiting relatives close by is allowed
From May 4th, Italians can visit relatives as long as they take precautions and under no condition should there be large gatherings or parties, Italy’s PM announced.
It will be possible to move from one municipality to another but the ban on travel between different regions of Italy continues, except for proven work matters, health reasons and extraordinary circumstances.

Fixed price for masks
“On May 4th, the price for masks will will reduced and fixed at €0.50,” Conte announced.
“VAT on masks will be scrapped in a forthcoming decree.”

More freedom to move around
“We will allow you to return to your second homes or villas, or visit public parks as long as there’s compliance with safety distances and requirements,” Conte said.

Outdoor exercise allowed
Froom May 4th, people in Italy will be able to exercise outdoors without restrictions or police checks (at any distance from home) as long as they follow social distancing of at least one metre.

Takeaway from restaurants now allowed
"From May 4th, we will give the go-ahead for take-away at restaurants,” Italy’s PM explained.
"We must go in one at a time and the food has to be consumed at home".
"Businesses concerned are allowed to reopen under the assumption of compliance with the security protocols.
“There will also be a safety measures for the transport companies".

More people allowed at funerals
Conte also gave the green light for funeral to have up to 15 people attending, but they can only be close relatives and all of them must wear masks.

Masks must be worn on public transport
The loosening of Italy’s lockdown goes hand in hand with the adoption of strict safety measures, especially in terms of the mandatory use of face masks on all public transport, Conte confirmed on Sunday’s TV announcement.
Face masks or other cloths or scarves must be worn over the nose and mouth and may also be made of fabric.

Anyone with a temperature must stay at home by law
Everyone with a fever of 37 degrees or more must stay at home, Italy’s government has decided, whereas before it was a recommendation and not a legal obligation.

Restricted rush hour numbers on public transport
Buses, metro services and other public transport in Italy will have a maximum number of passengers set during peak traffic times to respect the distance of one metre between people.
There will also be markers added to seats to indicate those that cannot be used.

Some retail and cultural sites to open on May 18th
"On May 18th, the reopening of the retail trade" as well as "exhibitions, museums and cultural sites” may be allowed if May 4th’s loosening of restrictions are successful.
The lockdown for hairdressers and beauticians, which may have to wait until June, has also been extended.
Other shops and retailers will remain closed for now.

What will come next?
“Before Phase three, we need to wait for a vaccination, and for new contagions to reach zero," Conte explained.
"For now, we need to live with the virus.”
“We can get angry and look for a scapegoat – the government, the press - or we can try to resolve the situation together, working as a team.
“If the curve rises during phase two, we need to respond rapidly.
“If we don't respect the rules the curve will rise again, deaths will increase and there will be irreversible damage to our economy.”
www.thelocal.it

Penna

Staff
Brave, and I'm sure the UK will be eagerly seeing how this pans out in the short term, most would gratefully lap up something similar.
I'm really impressed with Conte and the way the Government gives details, instead of making vague statements. Maybe it's something to do with the Italian love of bureaucracy, but it's actually helpful right now.

We have to use our permission forms when we're outside until 18th May, but they're bringing out a new one in view of the changes to the rules (version 5, I think!)

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Thank God I don't have to follow this pandemic on Facebook.

"Sure...virus will be defeated eventually, but unfortunately the main agenda now is to drive the people into unimaginable state of fear so that by the time they are done, people will be begging to be injected with the mark*. Good thing is that not all of us will fall for that shat! Condolences to all the bereaved families this week, from Cancer and all other sicknesses❗I'm so over this corona conspiracy ."

This is a summary of the Italian Phase 2 which has now been announced tonight by PM Conte.

www.thelocal.it
The one thing I cant see an answer on anywhere is whether we have to wear masks all the time (as he said a few days ago) or just on public transport, as it says in your quote.

Irwin99

"Sure...virus will be defeated eventually, but unfortunately the main agenda now is to drive the people into unimaginable state of fear so that by the time they are done, people will be begging to be injected with the mark*. Good thing is that not all of us will fall for that shat! Condolences to all the bereaved families this week, from Cancer and all other sicknesses❗I'm so over this corona conspiracy ."
I'm seeing a lot of this stuff around at the moment. Utterly depressing and it does make me worried what might happen if a second spike in the number of deaths happens after lockdown restrictions are eased. First lockdown is a novelty for most people, second will be harder to cope with for a lot of people I think.

Irwin99

Has the virus been completely contained in China now and is there any grounds for worrying about a second wave over there? Apologies if that's a dumb question.

Penna

Staff
The one thing I cant see an answer on anywhere is whether we have to wear masks all the time (as he said a few days ago) or just on public transport, as it says in your quote.
I think he said that we'd have to wear them when near other people - so if you're out exercising in a quiet place, you won't have to wear one. He did say people would have to wear them when visiting relatives, if I understood correctly. My understanding of spoken Italian is limited, so I could only follow bits of it as he was actually talking.

The summary in English has obviously been done fairly quickly by The Local to get something out tonight, so they may revise it.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

He may be a doctor, but has no fecking idea about bias in the sample...
The fascination with doctors in movies and tv shows never sat right with me while I was younger.

Here, it is not that difficult to become one and 95% are abysmal at anything math related.

Actually, our head epydemiologist has admitted in a recent interview that he only became a doctor as he could not get admitted into engineering school.

Revan

Assumptionman

I’d love for some religious person who believes this insanity, to explain to me how is different this vaccine (mark of the beast, revelation blah blah blah) to the mark of smallpox (where the entire world got the vaccine) or that of measles, or MMR or any of the other vaccines that everyone get. Why this is the mark while the others aren’t? Why is this more special?

Revan

Assumptionman
The fascination with doctors in movies and tv shows never sat right with me while I was younger.

Here, it is not that difficult to become one and 95% are abysmal at anything math related.

Actually, our head epydemiologist has admitted in a recent interview that he only became a doctor as he could not get admitted into engineering school.
Same in Kosovo (probably cause the educational system is similar). One of my best friends was a medical student (now a doctor) and so I used to know many students who were studying medicine. Most of them absolutely sucked at math, to the point of being math challenged on anything that was more complicated than simple arithmetics. Many of them sucked at English too. However, all of them had this insane ability of being able to study in the library for 12-16 hours per day. They could memorize books with a thousand of pages, but totally unable to do a percentage or an equation with two unknowns.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It seems unlikely that the virus would be easily passed from one jogger to another alright.

I wonder how much footfall at nearby shops is impacted by increasing numbers of people travelling to a busy park though? I would hazard a guess that those sort of additional contact points are more of an issue than being outside in the park itself.
There was a study that showed quite a potential for spread behind a runner or cyclist due to the wake/air disturbance. The actual degree of additional infection spread is unknown but .....

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There is a spectrum. Many teachers are working considerably fewer hours. Some are working similar hours. Some are actually working more, in light of the move to e-learning. The size of the school will dictate how often staff are rota’d in for childcare.

I’m in a primary setting, so the burden placed on e-learning isn’t as prevalent as what it might be in secondary. Plus, it all depends on the school context, too. I work in one of the most disadvantaged areas in the country; we have been very careful about the provision we’re offering in the home and how appropriate it is for our pupils at this moment. My workload at the moment is certainly nothing like it was, though, I’ll be the first to admit. I’m in a lucky position compared to many, especially with full pay.

I don’t think it’s helpful to infer that all teachers are having a “holiday”, though. In lots of cases, that isn’t true, particularly in the case of senior leaders and smaller schools. Lots of work re. curriculum development is being carried out from home, too. I struggle without deadlines and pressure, so the sooner I’m back at work every day the better for me.
Most teachers in Audtralia are working far harder as they have to manage the physical classroom for those we attend and teach the majority online as well.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I must say I’m rather enjoying the whole ID2020 conspiracy. Leaving aside the fact this disease is completely needless in order to smuggle that chip into people’s bodies, as instead of bribing millions of doctors to play along you could simply bribe Coca-Cola to put this inside of their cans and then give those cans away to people for free or whatever. The idea of having a microchip inside you that is able to locate you and monitor your health is pretty slick. I’d like to get this myself, means nobody would be able to kidnap or murder me and hide my body, and I’d also know immediately if there was something wrong with my health meaning I could try & react without delay. I don’t even get why people would refuse to be tracked when they are already giving up most of their privacy by owning mobile phones.

Suedesi

One of my friends posted that video on Facebook over the weekend. Didn't sit right with me that they were extrapolating clearly bias data.
It's elementary. Up until a few weeks ago, you couldn't get tested, period. Then, you had to wait in line for hours to get one of the few thousand tests a site would administer on any given day. So right there, there's huge bias in the sample population.

If the testing increases dramatically, yes I may become more amenable to "extrapolating" numbers and drawing conclusions, but as it is, I don't think so.

Suedesi

Same in Kosovo (probably cause the educational system is similar). One of my best friends was a medical student (now a doctor) and so I used to know many students who were studying medicine. Most of them absolutely sucked at math, to the point of being math challenged on anything that was more complicated than simple arithmetics. Many of them sucked at English too. However, all of them had this insane ability of being able to study in the library for 12-16 hours per day. They could memorize books with a thousand of pages, but totally unable to do a percentage or an equation with two unknowns.
Haha so true about the memorization and studying in the library for 12-16 hours a day. I became friendly with lots of them at Yale as they used to throw insane parties.

Suedesi

Hang on. Might owe you an apology. What’s your position here?

That the Nobel fella from Japan believes it’s man made?

Feel I may have the wrong end of the stick.
To be fair to him, there's also Luc Montagnier who claimed the same. I can't pretend to understand the science at any level these Nobel (Noble as Trump would say) fellas do, so I would just maintain a healthy dose of skepticism on this debate.

Longer interview for French/Italian speakers

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As we only understand about 20% of this virus talking about a vaccine or cure is too premature.
Additional information and detail is very welcome and will assist treatment of the disease and potentially help develop drugs as well. However, none of the information in that article helps or hinders the development of a vaccine. A vaccine is really what we need the most so lets hope we manage to produce one.

I hope your daughter gets better soon. 6 weeks is a long time to be sick with anything but the stress for all involved knowing it is Covid must be hard to cope with. Nothing much I can say that will be a practical help but I'm sure you know the Caf is here if you need to vent or just listen. Good luck.

prateik

Really low deaths today.. probably the lowest in weeks. Sundays are low, but this is quite a bit lower than the recent weeks .

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Really low deaths today.. probably the lowest in weeks. Sundays are low, but this is quite a bit lower than the recent weeks .
But we did have a very high sat, so probably balances out over the 2 days compared with last week?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
To be fair to him, there's also Luc Montagnier who claimed the same. I can't pretend to understand the science at any level these Nobel (Noble as Trump would say) fellas do, so I would just maintain a healthy dose of skepticism on this debate.

Longer interview for French/Italian speakers
Luke Montagier is now a total nutter. He believes in all sorts of impossible stuff like homeopathic dilution.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No mate. What you SHOULD hope is people don't get sick and die and that things gradually get better. What good would it possibly do if those people got sick and died? All it would do is stroke your ego when you say 'I told you so'. Extremely transparent
I think he means fined, not sick or dead.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
6weeks?
The more I hear about this, the more I'm convinced this is a man made virus. I'm starting to think it's accidentally escaped from a lab. It's 'too perfect'. It's unpredictable, undetectable for long enough to make it lethally contagious and it doesn't seem to behave like other viruses of its ilk
It feels 'tampered with' to me.
I think I'd prefer science to you feelings.

It is not possible that this was made in the Wuhan lab as per the conspiracy theory that is going around. The virus they have in the lab is the same as that in a wild popuation if bats has but that isn't the direct source of SARS-CoV-2. There has been between 20 and 50 years of virus evolution, at least of some of which will have been in an intermediate host such as (possibly) a pangolin, and therefore the lab can't be the source of SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opin...professor-edward-holmes-sars-cov-2-virus.html

The other factor is that genetic engineering occurs at single points whereas the SARS-CoV-2 virus shows changes all over the genome. So again it can't be a lab made virus.