SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ireland ranked 20th in the world in terms of infections registered. But i imagine poorer countries lower down have vastly more infections than actually tabulated.
Indeed. If you going looking for infections and deaths, you'll find them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ireland ranked 20th in the world in terms of infections registered. But i imagine poorer countries lower down have vastly more infections than actually tabulated.
Not just poorer countries. Massive countries like the Uk have done little or no community testing. Only testing in hospitals. That was their approach for the first few weeks anyway. May have changed recently.

In terms of total tests per capita, Ireland is right up there. Which is going to inflate our cases per capita.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I am in the private sector so I am not sure how it works for you, it could be something to do with the pension scheme I think the more I put into my pension the more x annual salary my family gets.
Yeah mate mine is exactly the same. Also gives me a decent lump sum when I reach 67 (at the moment, will probably go up in age before my time). Costs a fair few bob every paycheck but at least I know my kids will either a) get a few quid as a gift when I retire and I can feck off with their mum on a tour of the Pacific for six months, or b) will get a lump sum to give them some financial security if I pop my clogs before that happens.

Obviously it's an exceptional case and we're both very fortunate to be able to get it. Should go without saying but you know.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Australia had only 8 new cases reported yesterday on the back of large scale testing. I think we may have a slight increase today as testing has ramped up even further. NSW found 5 new cases yesterday (reported today) but that was from more than 4000 tests so a 0.15% positive rate.

We are close to eradication as most cases are known/contained but we aren't quite there yet. Restrictions are going to be very slightly reduced over the next month but subject to the infection rate.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Yeah mate mine is exactly the same. Also gives me a decent lump sum when I reach 67 (at the moment, will probably go up in age before my time). Costs a fair few bob every paycheck but at least I know my kids will either a) get a few quid as a gift when I retire and I can feck off with their mum on a tour of the Pacific for six months, or b) will get a lump sum to give them some financial security if I pop my clogs before that happens.

Obviously it's an exceptional case and we're both very fortunate to be able to get it. Should go without saying but you know.
It's a nice piece of mind, mate I hope I'm wrong but I can see b) working out for me, can't imagine myself reaching retirement age to be honest. :lol:

JMack1234

Judging by the speech outside Downing Street it looks like we're finally going to have a grown up conversation about what comes next.

The current lockdown isn't long for this world. I'd think we'll see a significant relaxation when the next review comes in early May, maybe some goodies given out this week but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Well, you jinxed that one didn't you ?

Apparently is something that had been observed in other countries. They are still the lower age risk

But yeah, anyway is just a theory

Last edited:

mikey_d

I know of one doctor personally who has committed suicide and have heard of another health care worker that also has while all this is going on. Hard to know what is going on in their personal lives and may not be related to covid but makes you think.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
@Revan has been making much the same point on here for a while.
Short version of the thread? I’m assuming it’s along the lines of other coronavirus strains have either been a) very mild And I handful or b) harmful but not infectious and hence no viable motivation for a vaccine? But now we have harmful and infectious hence a viable reason to develop one?

Steve Bruce

Short version of the thread? I’m assuming it’s along the lines of other coronavirus strains have either been a) very mild And I handful or b) harmful but not infectious and hence no viable motivation for a vaccine? But now we have harmful and infectious hence a viable reason to develop one?
Yep, no point in being proactive or preemptive instead wait until the proverbial hits the fan......

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Short version - vaccine wasnt made because there was no point in investing in trials for vaccines for illnesses thst were either mild or eradicated. He also claims it is easier to develop than a flu vaccine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@Revan has been making much the same point on here for a while.
The main gist of his argument is that is that all that the pharma/biotech industry needs is enough of a financial incenctive and they can develop a vaccine against anything. Which is the mentality you’d expect from an investor.

I don’t think he’s right though. What about RSV? RSV is a virus that kills babies, so there’s an enormous incentive to create a vaccine and we’ve been trying for decades. But no joy yet. The closest we’ve got is injecting high risk babies with an actual antibody.

I also think he’s ignoring the challenges in veterinary medicine to create coronavirus vaccines. Dogs and cats still die from coronavirus all the time. A coronavirus killed my best friend’s cat last month! There have been some successful coronavirus vaccines developed for animals but a lot of failures too. Totally outside my field of expertise but I posted a thread a while back from a virologist who said that the one and only long term success in animal coronaviruses was to treat chickens. Meanwhile, farm mammals and domestic pets are still getting infected all the time.

Would love to hear from a vet on this:

@Beagle

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Yep, and it didn't really say anything that we didn't already know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641

And at 11am this morning you will see just how fecking cynical the Tories are.
True. But there are some people in denial about the governments poor response, it might be a wake up call?

Although I agree, at 11am the Tories wil probably use their daily briefing to smear, discredit and spin against the facts.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Well, I was hoping that we'd be able to leave our village for shopping after May 4th, but our Mayor has just said we can't! I'm fairly sure that Conte's announcement allowed us to travel within the region, as long as it was for one of the allowed reasons (shopping, medical visits, work).

Pagh Wraith

More good news from Austria. New infections have been around 50 per day for the last two weeks and the number of active cases has declined sharply. Restrictions on going out will be lifted on Friday. People won't need a valid reason to go out and gatherings up to ten people will be allowed. But a distance of one meter to people not from your household will be required. Restaurants and hotels are reopening in May and the government has been talking about reopening tourism for countries that have acted similarly and are at a comparable stage of the pandemic, namely the Czech Republic and Germany.

Well, I was hoping that we'd be able to leave our village for shopping after May 4th, but our Mayor has just said we can't! I'm fairly sure that Conte's announcement allowed us to travel within the region, as long as it was for one of the allowed reasons (shopping, medical visits, work).
The more i read, the more it looks like not a huge amount is changing. The only real difference is we will be allowed to go outside to exercise. You still need to self certify a valid reason for any kind of movement and i won't be thrilled if we have to run with a mask on.

You sure your local shopowner isn't the Mayor's cousin or something :)

Alabaster Codify7

More good news from Austria. New infections have been around 50 per day for the last two weeks and the number of active cases has declined sharply. Restrictions on going out will be lifted on Friday. People won't need a valid reason to go out and gatherings up to ten people will be allowed. But a distance of one meter to people not from your household will be required. Restaurants and hotels are reopening in May and the government has been talking about reopening tourism for countries that have acted similarly and are at a comparable stage of the pandemic, namely the Czech Republic and Germany.

Great news.
We've got the noises coming out then about the government finally having 'the conversations' about how we exit this lockdown and the next phase.......the heat is getting too much for them. News of people beginning to ignore the lockdown rules more, 50% more traffic on the roads, Panorama and the media sticking the boot in more each week. Time for a nice Tory PR stunt, soon enough. Expect Boris to use words such as 'brave', 'courage', 'war', 'united front' when explaining how we'll mildly relax measures to make us all feel like we're fighting in the trenches together. #DunkirkSpirit

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Other Coronaviruses mild and 4 only responsible for 20% of colds therefore not commercial to develop. SARS and MERS viruses were controlled before there was the need for a vaccine. SARS-CoV-2 a single virus and a ver widespread urgent need = huge demand = commercially justifiable.

I think that was more or less it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Great news.
We've got the noises coming out then about the government finally having 'the conversations' about how we exit this lockdown and the next phase.......the heat is getting too much for them. News of people beginning to ignore the lockdown rules more, 50% more traffic on the roads, Panorama and the media sticking the boot in more each week. Time for a nice Tory PR stunt, soon enough. Expect Boris to use words such as 'brave', 'courage', 'war', 'united front' when explaining how we'll mildly relax measures to make us all feel like we're fighting in the trenches together. #DunkirkSpirit
What reality are you living in? Boris came back yesterday and could not have been clearer about the fact we are nowhere near where we need to be to come out the other side of this lock down. This is a right wing government who’s number one concern has always been the economy and yet he’s resolute that lock down is here to stay.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The main gist of his argument is that is that all that the pharma/biotech industry needs is enough of a financial incenctive and they can develop a vaccine against anything. Which is the mentality you’d expect from an investor.

I don’t think he’s right though. What about RSV? RSV is a virus that kills babies, so there’s an enormous incentive to create a vaccine and we’ve been trying for decades. But no joy yet. The closest we’ve got is injecting high risk babies with an actual antibody.

I also think he’s ignoring the challenges in veterinary medicine to create coronavirus vaccines. Dogs and cats still die from coronavirus all the time. A coronavirus killed my best friend’s cat last month! There have been some successful coronavirus vaccines developed for animals but a lot of failures too. Totally outside my field of expertise but I posted a thread a while back from a virologist who said that the one and only long term success in animal coronaviruses was to treat chickens. Meanwhile, farm mammals and domestic pets are still getting infected all the time.

Would love to hear from a vet on this:

@Beagle
I think he is right about the previous lack of motivation but wrong about a SARS-CoV-2 vsccine being a foregone conclusion.

I though we had a vaccine for a canine coronavirus?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The more i read, the more it looks like not a huge amount is changing. The only real difference is we will be allowed to go outside to exercise. You still need to self certify a valid reason for any kind of movement and i won't be thrilled if we have to run with a mask on.

You sure your local shopowner isn't the Mayor's cousin or something :)
Haha, I'm fuming at the moment about it! When the form is scrapped later in May (hopefully), I assume we'll be able to travel freely in our regions because we won't have to give a reason for leaving the house. There's virtually nothing here where we live, it's been really difficult! Yes, we can get "essentials" here, but we'd like a little choice in food and provisions ....

Wolverine

That panorama documentary really hit home, essential viewing for everybody in my opinion

The 60k figure for families of NHS worker's who've died is still yet to be scrutinised. I believe there is a 27 page document due to be released to outline what the payment entails. There is the NHS pensions scheme payout for death in service (2 years' salary) and this may be just for those who don't contribute to the pensions scheme, there are questions whether it is applicable to locum or trust grade doctors or those who are on Tier 2 visas.
I think a lot of my colleagues believe this is an effort to prevent legal proceedings against government negligence.

Then today there's Matt Hancock taking questions on LBC today from a son of a doctor who died while raising alarms about PPE and not directly apologising
https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...-doctor-who-died-of-coronavirus-calls-matt-h/

What is interesting is the disconnect between public opinion in general about how the government is handling this and the people working in care homes or the NHS in general. Opinion polls show the Tory parties lead still holding steady and approval rating for Bojo still pretty high. How they've spinning their way out of this really is the worst thing about all of this.

That's what a lot of NHS staff talk about, all we have between us and a deadly disease every day is a flimsy apron and non-woven fabric on our faces. We know that those colleagues who have died are all those who have are working in areas without FFP3 and gowns or coveralls yet nothing is being done. Corporate manslaughter in real time.

Two majors pushbacks to this can't happen soon enough.
Two doctors pursuing legal action against the government for inadequate PPE
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...enge-uk-government-on-ppe-risks-to-bame-staff

and another legally challenging the government to publish the results of Exercise Cygnus which was a three-day simulation in 2016 looking into preparedness (or lack thereof) of the UK in confronting a hypothetical pandemic, government has rejected a FOI request to publish the report in full
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/26/doctor-sue-results-operation-cygnus

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It's the same across South and South East Asia.

Aside from India; Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines also showing relatively low numbers.

Surely not all of their Governments are lying with mass cover ups?
It's quite obvious when you think about it..5g
White text

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Irish Independent reporting that lockdown in Ireland will be extended for another two weeks for the vast majority of people, with only restrictions on those who work outdoors being eased.

Smores

How hard is it to just say 'sorry we weren't able to protect your father in this case, we'll of course look at this and all cases to see if more could have been done".

They're still stuck in election mode and putting party before actually being good public servants.

Meanwhile there seems to be a real movement amongst the right to a US style mistrust of the media. Journalism is being attacked not through debate but by being dismissed because they dare challenge the party line. It won't be long before we have a news channel like Fox over here.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My fecking God. Those ONS figures. They are even worse than the most sober expectations. This thing is massacring, and I do not use that word lightly, care homes.

Didn't seem to be one question about it at the press briefing, I requested a question on this subject today and as I posted above 'can I hug my grandchildren?' got picked instead.
The correct response is you can hug them if you want them to be the ones to kill you.