SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Is anyone else kinda scared how easily freedoms were taken away from people? Of course it’s the right thing to beat this virus now, but it gives me an uneasy feeling how very fragile our ‘freedoms’ really are.
Between this and Brexit, we will lose a huge amount of freedoms over the next 12 months and not see many of them return indefinitely. When your country votes to voluntarily give up your rights to live and work in 26 other countries though, it feels a bit glib to be lamenting the restrictions placed on us by the coronavirus. The coronavirus will certainly lead to changes, some of which will be in the best interest of public health and others will be in "our best interest".

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some more info from Streek in Germany of a study in Heinsberg

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/rheinland/corona-ergebnis-studie-heinsberg-100.html

English PDF
https://www.ukbonn.de/C12582D3002FD21D/vwLookupDownloads/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf/$FILE/Streeck_et_al_Infection_fatality_rate_of_SARS_CoV_2_infection2.pdf

"Of the 919 individuals with evaluable infection status (out of 1,007; 405 households)
15.5% (95% CI: [12.3%; 19.0%]) were infected. This is 5-fold higher than the number of
officially reported cases for this community (3.1%). Infection was associated with characteristic
symptoms such as loss of smell and taste. 22.2% of all infected individuals were asymptomatic.

With the seven SARS-CoV-2-associated reported deaths the estimated IFR was 0.36%
[0.29%; 0.45%]. Age and sex were not found to be associated with the infection rate.

Participation in carnival festivities increased both the infection rate (21.3% vs. 9.5%, p<0.001)
and the number of symptoms in the infected (estimated relative mean increase 1.6, p=0.007).

The risk of a person being infected was not found to be associated with the number of study
participants in the household this person lived in. The secondary infection risk for study
participants living in the same household increased from 15.5% to 43.6%, to 35.5% and to
18.3% for households with two, three or four people respectively (p<0.001)."
Excellent! Seemed quite representative from age groups and otherwise from first glance. 7 deaths is a small sample for IFR, but if IFR indeed would be under 0.5%, it would be amazing news.
This bit is fascinating.

Participation in carnival festivities increased both the infection rate (21.3% vs. 9.5%, p<0.001)
and the number of symptoms in the infected (estimated relative mean increase 1.6, p=0.007).
Supports the idea that viral load might be a factor in severity of illness. You can’t help wondering that the really mild/asymptomatic cases got a really tiny viral load. You’d wonder if a very simple vaccine could involve a tiny dose of live non-attenuated virus.

RK

Excellent! Seemed quite representative from age groups and otherwise from first glance. 7 deaths is a small sample for IFR, but if IFR indeed would be under 0.5%, it would be amazing news.
It's promising but I'm skeptical about their IFR confidence intervals.
They've been derived directly from the CI limits of the infection rate which is just a starting point really. I can't see the random variance of 7 deaths being accounted for.
As a basic example, if modeled binomially on the point estimate (7/1956), random variance alone gives CI limits [0.18%, 0.74%].

massi83

It's promising but I'm skeptical about their IFR confidence intervals.
They've been derived directly from the CI limits of the infection rate which is just a starting point really. I can't see the random variance of 7 deaths being accounted for.
As a basic example, if modeled binomially on the point estimate (7/1956), random variance alone gives CI limits [0.18%, 0.74%].
Indeed. Clearly something they should have included.

LordNinio

And let’s insist that folks can only fly for business reasons.
Why? Most business can be conducted over the phone / video call / email.

Seeing the world garners appreciation of other cultures and societies, and broadens our minds.

Unless your post was sarcasm of course, and it went over my head...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

This melts my head a bit. What the hell?
What is worse is that there are people in the comments saying that the airline isn't at fault because the people chose to be on the plane. Well, the airline could choose to reduce the passenger allowance for a start ffs.

Rafaeldagold

Between this and Brexit, we will lose a huge amount of freedoms over the next 12 months and not see many of them return indefinitely. When your country votes to voluntarily give up your rights to live and work in 26 other countries though, it feels a bit glib to be lamenting the restrictions placed on us by the coronavirus. The coronavirus will certainly lead to changes, some of which will be in the best interest of public health and others will be in "our best interest".
Oh I agree brexit was the stupidest decision ever.

Virgil

Why? Most business can be conducted over the phone / video call / email.

Seeing the world garners appreciation of other cultures and societies, and broadens our minds.

Unless your post was sarcasm of course, and it went over my head...
I was trying to be sarcastic. Sincerest apologies for being so poor.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
What is worse is that there are people in the comments saying that the airline isn't at fault because the people chose to be on the plane. Well, the airline could choose to reduce the passenger allowance for a start ffs.
The budget airlines are only profitable when the majority of seats are full. The Irish fella who owns Ryanair was saying the only way they'd be operating flights under social distancing guidelines is if the government pays for the empty seats. Otherwise they'd be operating at a loss and obviously would prefer to stay grounded.

Not that I'm defending aer lingus. I'm amazed they're allowed to operate under those conditions.

arnie_ni

When are they releasing our timeline for coming out of lockdown?

Thought it was to be today?

Tibs

Wouldn't be surprised if lockdown is extended by another two weeks before easing of some measures

Smores

They're the same bunch who don't understand that social isolation isn't for self-preservation. Between 1and 4% of the population are supposed to be sociopaths and i think they're identifying themselves throughout this.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Even still just by being in such a contained area increases the risk of contracting the virus.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
If people go over the top in Italy over the next two weeks regarding meeting up with family, we're going to be back where we were very quickly. Just reading some comments on reddit's Italy sub and people are saying that they're seeing big groups of people together.

The rules are that people wear masks and maintain social distancing when visiting relatives, but we all know that's not going to happen inside someone's house - especially here, where people like to hug and kiss. Even when I take the puppy to the village, one old lady grabs her so enthusiastically she looks like she's going to eat her.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If people go over the top in Italy over the next two weeks regarding meeting up with family, we're going to be back where we were very quickly. Just reading some comments on reddit's Italy sub and people are saying that they're seeing big groups of people together.

The rules are that people wear masks and maintain social distancing when visiting relatives, but we all know that's not going to happen inside someone's house - especially here, where people like to hug and kiss. Even when I take the puppy to the village, one old lady grabs her so enthusiastically she looks like she's going to eat her.
I think this will happen in many countries when the restrictions are eased but I still think it's the right thing to do because I imagine people in Italy are close to breaking point. What will most likely happen is that the number of new cases will increase and some restrictions will be put back. I think the first wave was about managing the number of people in hospital, now that the numbers have fallen they can take new patients in when they second wave happens.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think this will happen in many countries when the restrictions are eased but I still think it's the right thing to do because I imagine people in Italy are close to breaking point. What will most likely happen is that the number of new cases will increase and some restrictions will be put back. I think the first wave was about managing the number of people in hospital, now that the numbers have fallen they can take new patients in when they second wave happens.
This. Its going to be like the sine curve in mathematics. It goes up and then down and then up again.

The number of infections will go down, people will become bullish and meet up, then the number of infections will go up again and people will withdraw, and then they will go down again.

Skills

Snitch
This. Its going to be like the sine curve in mathematics. It goes up and then down and then up again.

The number of infections will go down, people will become bullish and meet up, then the number of infections will go up again and people will withdraw, and then they will go down again.
Well hopefully a decaying sine curve, as hopefully the bullishness goes down a notch with every wave

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Well hopefully a decaying sine curve, as hopefully the bullishness goes down a notch with every wave
That would be ideal.

But then you have to factor in the economic system. They probably only can shut down the economy so many times before shutting down the economy becomes worse than the virus.

Mixed views about a vaccine as well. Some guy from the Imperial College said it will be difficult to make one. Others then saying we will have one by august.

Don't Kill Bill

My problem? I asked you a simple question.

A few small corrections, the 8 doctors haven't been prosecuted but reprimanded by Wuhan's police, later the chinese supreme court criticized the police and exonerated the doctors. In the memo the Health director said that there were suggestions that human to human transmission was possible based on the existence of cases not directly linked to Wuhan, the next day they didn't say that human to human transmission didn't exist, they said that "the risk of sustained human to human transmission was low" which again based on how little everyone knew was a reasonable assumption, it was also a way to acknowledge their existence while not making the public lose their minds, remember that it was for the public, you don't go doom and gloom when you are not even sure about what you are dealing with. And there is nothing that puts the origin in the market, it was an early suspicion due to the fact that it was a cluster in Wuhan but many people that had no contact with the market got infected which is by the way how local doctors determined that human to human transmission was a thing.

As I said in this thread clearly China(mainly local authorities) botched things initially but nothing suggests that they knew more about it than the rest of the world, most of what we know suggests that they didn't knew a whole lot and reacted slowly, in the AP summary the chinese CDC is specifically accused of being sluggish and bureaucratic. But from the moment they had a better idea, they did things relatively well outside of not closing their external borders.

PS: The far right part is about Pompeo's comments about the lab, it's a conspiracy that mainly comes from that side of the political spectrum. You can question the chinese response to the health crisis but the conspiracies about it being man made have no substance for the moment.
Sorry but I disagree. Its not reasonable to make a statement about levels of human to human transmission at the start of an outbreak of a new and deadly virus if you don't know that statement to be factually true.

Its not reasonable at all, its is reckless and self serving and if it was done to stop a panic, then it was not a mistake but a deliberate decision and calculated gamble that risks the outbreak getting out of hand if the wishful thinking about the transmission rate turns out to be wrong.

Which it was and that in my opinion is indefensible.

lynchie

They opened up provincial parks, walking trails and driving ranges on the weekend where I am, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the adherence to the 2metre rule for the most part but it’s just not possible to stick to it 100% unless everyone walks the same pace and doesn’t bring their dog with them. There’s a long term care home here that is responsible for 100% of Covid deaths and 75% of all cases so I think they are easing the restrictions partly because of that undeniable cluster, but I feel like a few more weeks with stricter rules would be better in the long run.
Chances of catching it passing by someone in wide open spaces are very small, even if you do pass less than 2m apart. I wouldn't let that worry you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sorry but I disagree. Its not reasonable to make a statement about levels of human to human transmission at the start of an outbreak of a new and deadly virus if you don't know that statement to be factually true.

Its not reasonable at all, its is reckless and self serving and if it was done to stop a panic, then it was not a mistake but a deliberate decision and calculated gamble that risks the outbreak getting out of hand if the wishful thinking about the transmission rate turns out to be wrong.

Which it was and that in my opinion is indefensible.
In the context of a botched job it was reasonable. Bear in mind that I was responding to the withheld part and I'm not defending China. Initially they messed up locally, it is apparently the case in Thailand that made them realize that a human to human transmission was definitely possible, the CDC failed to determine it wihen they sent two teams in Wuhan in late december and early January it also took them an eternity to deal with suspected cases in Shenhzen. Beijing handled it directly after the Thai case and prepared things behind the scenes before warning the public of a possible pandemic.

As I said to someone else a few weeks ago, praising China is a joke because they made the exact same mistakes that almost everyone else made, the difference is that they had the manpower to fixt a lot of mistakes quickly. And they seemingly had limited knowledge themselves due to a serie of early mistakes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mars cannot sustain human life and so he wouldn’t survive very long in the unlikely event he had been there since birth. Also Mars does not have WiFi.

Maybe it can’t sustain life forever and you need other sustenance like vitamins and minerals but a Mars a day definitely helps you work rest and play.

King Eric 7

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Anyone knows what is happening in Russia and Brazil? Have they changed their testing policies or are they getting oubreaks?