SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Good news for undocumented migrant workers in Italy, who have no right to public services (including healthcare). The government has agreed that anyone who came to the country before March 8th to work in agriculture or as a domestic helper can get temporary residency, which will enable them to get a work permit and to access healthcare (and other services). They are seen as a vulnerable group, frequently exploited and not monitored, and this is partly to assist in stopping the unseen spread of the virus.

Of course, not everyone's happy about it (such as Salvini), but the Agriculture Minister (Teresa Bellanova) cried when she announced it in a press conference. She was once an agricultural labourer herself, and she put her career on the line over this new ruling.

Wolverine

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

Well this sucks. Lets hope theres permanent immunity or second infections will be catastrophic
It does suck. And its being really something that needs to be a part of the national and global conversation about COVID
The only metric currently really being used to debate restrictive measures is death rate and whether its an over and under-reaction.

Which is why I find case fatality rate to be simply one part of the wider picture when discussing this disease.

Any herd immunity like strategy would have to take into account that we would be exposing a significant proportion of the population to risks of pulmonary emobolism, strokes, myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, kidney complications, limb venous thrombosis (with potential amputation risks in extreme), possibly irreversible lung damage, intubation complications, tracheostomy complications, increased heart attack risks, vasculitis-like rashes in adults and children , neurological complication, psychological complications, memory and cognitive deficits if they recover from delirium. That is simply not the case when thinking of the flu.

Statisticians are offering their 2 pence on risks of dying but not many are commenting on the risks of the above in those hospitalised who make it out alive and risks to economies if we see a significant percentage of our workforce struck down with the potentially debilitating conditions listed above in short and long term.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It does suck. And its being really something that needs to be a part of the national and global conversation about COVID
The only metric currently really being used to debate restrictive measures is death rate and whether its an over and under-reaction.

Which is why I find case fatality rate to be simply one part of the wider picture when discussing this disease.

Any herd immunity like strategy would have to take into account that we would be exposing a significant proportion of the population to risks of pulmonary emobolism, strokes, myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, kidney complications, limb venous thrombosis (with potential amputation risks in extreme), possibly irreversible lung damage, intubation complications, tracheostomy complications, increased heart attack risks, vasculitis-like rashes in adults and children , neurological complication, psychological complications, memory and cognitive deficits if they recover from delirium. That is simply not the case when thinking of the flu.

Statisticians are offering their 2 pence on risks of dying but not many are commenting on the risks of the above in those hospitalised who make it out alive and risks to economies if we see a significant percentage of our workforce struck down with the potentially debilitating conditions listed above in short and long term.
To be fair, a lot of those complications you mention would be common to any ITU admission, for any reason. Which would include flu. Also worth bearing in mind that even the non-ITU related sequelae seem to only be an issue for patients severe enough to end up in hospital.

I haven’t seen anything anywhere about non-hospitalised patients having permanent consequences of their illness. Lots of stuff about being drained of energy, or reduced exercise tolerance but, again, nothing you can’t get with a bad flu. And we need to keep reminding ourselves that the vast vast majority of future infections will sit in this category.

It’s really hard to keep on top of the science here, it’s so fast moving. But I do think a lot of the non peer-reviewed publications like the one linked above are biased towards exaggeration of the severity of the disease. As that generates more clicks.

And I’m saying this as one of this threads chief scare-mongers!

Wolverine

To be fair, a lot of those complications you mention would be common to any ITU admission, for any reason. Which would include flu. Also worth bearing in mind that even the non-ITU related sequelae seem to only be an issue for patients severe enough to end up in hospital.

I haven’t seen anything anywhere about non-hospitalised patients having permanent consequences of their illness. Lots of stuff about being drained of energy, or reduced exercise tolerance but, again, nothing you can’t get with a bad flu. And we need to keep reminding ourselves that the vast vast majority of future infections will sit in this category.

It’s really hard to keep on top of the science here, it’s so fast moving. But I do think a lot of the non peer-reviewed publications like the one linked above are biased towards exaggeration of the severity of the disease. As that generates more clicks.

And I’m saying this as one of this threads chief scare-mongers!
That's fair. I suppose its the wide range and extent of complications, the incidences and what I've read in case reports thats worrying.

From what I'm reading on GP forums on facebook, there's persistently weird symptoms that are there almost a month or so after with chest pains, coughs, myalgia etc but i suppose yes that you can get post-viral. Just the amplification of it on a population wide basis scares me.

I think I may have a heuristic bias though given that I have only worked with hospitalised covid patients.

RedRover

Regarding the talk about care homes - really nasty situations from the sounds of it.

My mother works in a private care home and the treatment of staff (and indeed residents) there has been abhorrent. She was refused PPE when she expressed concerns and was told she is “much safer here than at home” - this is to a woman who lives completely safely on her own at home. I should add the owners/higher ups who say this have not entered the home itself for weeks now.

There are currently 8 staff in the home who have tested positive (thankfully my mother tested negative in her test a couple days ago), and 4/5 residents have tested positive. However, she tells me she is certain the number is higher as they have had at least double the ‘usual’ number of deaths in the last 4 weeks. From the sounds of it they are simply refusing to accept the levels of COVID within the home - disgraceful really, particularly as it costs £1,400/week for the residents to stay.

She tells me the home has been reported twice to some authority - unsurprisingly from the sounds of it. I really feel for the staff, residents and families stuck in this situation :(

EDIT: I also remember her telling me staff were threatened with no sick pay when the virus was in its infancy in this country. Which is obviously not fair - it shows they have absolutely refused to take the situation seriously from the start.
Sounds grim. I have some experience of the care home sector on the legal side. As an industry, they are not anywhere near as profitable as the sums they charge would suggest and care home providers often go out of business. The main issue is rents on the buildings which are extortionate. At the start of a lease they often get a favourable deal (since the building is empty) but thereafter, landlords (often institutional investors such as pension funds) hike the rent.

That doesn't excuse any of the above but it's a myth that these businesses are raking it in.

redshaw

Probably down to around 250-300 hospital deaths.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's fair. I suppose its the wide range and extent of complications, the incidences and what I've read in case reports thats worrying.

From what I'm reading on GP forums on facebook, there's persistently weird symptoms that are there almost a month or so after with chest pains, coughs, myalgia etc but i suppose yes that you can get post-viral. Just the amplification of it on a population wide basis scares me.

I think I may have a heuristic bias though given that I have only worked with hospitalised covid patients.
I’d just like to say I’m impressed by your use of heuristic bias! ;)

redshaw

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52638382

Dan lost his sense of taste and smell

"I thought something must be up so just to check I poured myself a strong glass of orange squash," says Dan, who works as a respiratory physiotherapist at a West Midlands hospital.

"I just couldn't taste that at all." He tried inhaling a nasal decongestant made with eucalyptus oil and menthol, but couldn't smell that either.

Dan worried that if he did have Covid-19, going into work might have serious consequences. But when he called the NHS helpline, 111, he was told there was no problem as he didn't have a cough or a high temperature.

"They were obviously reading off a script and they said, 'You're good to go back to work,' which I felt a bit funny about," Dan says. "To have suddenly lost my sense of smell and taste when I work with some patients who have coronavirus felt like too much of a coincidence."

"Ignoring this advice, he began self-isolating, as did the rest of his family, including his mum, a podiatrist whose clients include vulnerable elderly people, and his sister, an intensive care nurse at a children's hospital.

Meanwhile Dan's manager arranged a coronavirus test for him - and a few days later it came back positive.

"Based on government advice alone, I would have been back at work, going from patient to patient and potentially giving them coronavirus," says Dan."

Thought this was a main symptom but even today not regarded as such in the UK.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, I don't want to diss the marvelous work the health workers are doing but bloody hell are they soooo far behind the curve on this virus. :(

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
The world will pass 300k reported deaths today and we're still on the plateau of daily new cases as far as I can see.

0le

Thought this was a main symptom but even today not regarded as such in the UK.
It highlights a problem that when people are ill (regardless of what they have), they are pressured into working. This seems to be an issue in the UK and I am sure many other countries as well. Maybe after this has blown over, we will have better regulations in place here in the UK.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone know much about the Russian healthcare system? Interested to hear how they're handling the outbreak there. 10k new cases a day at the moment.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
In a city which prided itself on public transport, where one could work and live miles apart comfortably, I'm not surprised tubes and busses are full.

I imagine less and less Londoners drive because you simply don't need to, the public transport links are that good.

So when you're telling people to go back to work, what are people expecting? Sure a handful will cycle, but vast majority won't for a variety of reasons.

Withnail

Daily deaths continues to go down in Ireland with 10 confirmed today but the new cases had a big jump to 432 when it had appeared to be heading towards double figures over the past week.

I'm hoping this is due to some kind of back log but no info on that just yet.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, is saying it's your 'civic duty' to avoid public transport. For the millionth time, you couldn't make this shit up.
Are they effectively saying that if you can’t get to work without using public transport (or at least not at peak times) then you shouldn’t go to work?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In a city which prided itself on public transport, where one could work and live miles apart comfortably, I'm not surprised tubes and busses are full.

I imagine less and less Londoners drive because you simply don't need to, the public transport links are that good.

So when you're telling people to go back to work, what are people expecting? Sure a handful will cycle, but vast majority won't for a variety of reasons.
Yeah, just over half of people in London own a car and the average person lives 11 miles from work. The idea that public transport wouldn't be packed in different clusters in London is pretty silly, but they knew that when they announced it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ontario announced the opening of some businesses/sectors today. My dog will be able to get a groom soon.

I still can't get a haircut though. :(