SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I take 100iU of vit D every day because of some research at my old university:

They haven’t untangled correlation and causation yet but it’s one of those things with no downside, so feck it.
The government has issued advice and suggest that the general public should not be buying and eating sardines however they recommend that NHS front line staff do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not mistaken ethnic minorities are generally known to have lower Vit D levels too? I know in hospitals there was a strong correlation between covid hospital patients and their Vit D levels and this was recognized back in March. Think at the time they were unsure if it's the virus bringing down Vit D levels or its that they caught the virus because they already had low levels in the first place.

In any case Vit D is one of those things many people may be low on without knowing until they get a blood test. I've been on a maintenance dose for a while, does no harm.

ManUArfa

No it is not.

you made it very clear with your “thank god Corbyn isn’t in power” post that you had already made up your mind.
The government have broken promises (100k tests by the end of April) , ignored scientific advice (Boris telling everyone to shake hands the day he’d been told that could spread the disease) and we not have a horrendous death record based on early inactivity. FFS, they’ve just stopped putting up the death comparisons with other countries because it is now evident how badly we have done.

“People should have common sense” is a remarkably bad take from now as well, being parroted by Tories all over the web. Was it common sense to tell people to go back to work Sunday night and then wait till 2pm the next day to tell them they should probably wear masks? If Boris’ words were so clear,why did many government officials get the message wrong the next day on breakfast?

FFS, they told firms they could open if they followed the rules in a social distancing document before they published the document.
No I'm merely pointing out that there are alternative points of view to those that are being pedalled as the "the right one". I do not deny that mistakes have been and will continue to be made in this chaotic situation. I do think that politicians are unwise to make promises they might not be able to keep e.g. on the testing targets and the launch of a road map by a certain date.

Your opinions are fuelled by what you read in biased publications and media. The Express article does at least appear to have some balance but I consider everything I read or hear with caution and make my own mind up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What is this 'virus could be eradicated in London in two weeks' stuff i keep seeing? How misleading is that?

ManUArfa

Pretty much. From what I've seen all the teacher unions want is to be able to teach in safe conditions and the government haven't been able to provide that confidence.
The problem is that the safe conditions that the Unions want are no pandemic.

I hear a local secondary school by me has been readying itself with a device for temperate checks on entry, directional routes in and out revised timetables to accommodate the numbers in order that social distancing can be observed - all this being prepared weeks in advance of the announcement.

Imagine living in a country where common sense can prevail in order to prevent a state of permanent lockdown that extends to the point of economic and social ruin?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do I need to rush out and buy some or is eating my lunch outside every day enough?
You probably don’t need it but they’re cheap to buy and don’t do any harm. Vit D deficiency is quite common in Ireland because of our shite weather. If your complexion is in any way dark you’re more likely to need a top up (I’m kind of swarthy)

Wolverine

Are you saying all of those complications are not possible in a flu pandemic?
No no, I mentioned in my response to Pogue that a lot of them are

Bear in mind I'm referring to seasonal and not pandemic flu. I don't take seasonal flu lightly, first thing I tell my patients in GP surgery is to get their flu jab.

My first job was in respiratory medicine as a junior (albeit in the summer) but I have worked in A&E and resus in the winter and my acute medical rotation was in a second tier NIV-equipped ward which saw complicated flu patients

Certainly we do see pneumonias, myopathies, myocardial involvement, encephalitis, GBS, sepsis, worsening of chronic diseases with flu in addition to delirium in the elderly. But my point is the incidences of those complications and like I said covid is new so we're still awaiting data but the breath of complications are more vast

I don't know how prevalent coagulopathies are for example in the instance of severe flu, nor the degree of acute kidney injuries or ARDS which are features of COVID.

By every metric from what I've seen in my line of work covid patients even the non-ITU ones have been sicker. The white outs on their chest Xrays are more, the lactates, trops and d-dimers are higher, electrolytes more deranged, eGFRs and blood pressures are lower, oxygen sats are lower, pH's more acidotic, the older's one arrest more, the younger ones arrest too or reach peri-arrest very easily and often. And they need to be on tubes for longer, harder to wean off, get intubated more often, inotrope needs are higher, get way more secretions and require more intense chest physio. And I'm using as a comparison the sick, young, few comorbidities complicated flu vs complicated covid for comparison as best as I can from memory and experience.

But of course we have to wait for the formal data.

I think certainly the R0 for covid might be higher but flu has a shorter median incubation period (the time from infection to appearance of symptoms) and a shorter serial interval (the time between successive cases) than COVID which means flu in theory can spread faster. Mortality I think for covid generally is higher and I don't know whether the seasonal flu we see year after year is something that is a less deadly strain and that we are getting more immune to it and as a result most are not as ill

Incidentally my wife works as a dermatologist, covid presents in all weird and wonderful dermatological manifestations but she has just biopsied a potential toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) patient secondary to covid. TEN is a rare but very serious condition and one of the few true derm emergencies. I don't think I've seen case reports of TEN secondary to covid in literature yet but yet another one to add to how shitty covid is.

So I just think prognostic implications on a population wide basis if our strategy is gradual herd immunity (or if that just seen as an inevitable clincal end point) that we take into consideration prevalence and extent of complications beyond case fatality rate.

Wolverine

Do I need to rush out and buy some or is eating my lunch outside every day enough?
I take vitamin D too, mostly also because of this thing, but I'm frontline covid-patient-seeing doctor who's of pakistani origin and is fat from stress-eating

ManUArfa

What kind of response is that?

Next time make your point straightforwardly. Posting google search links is idiotic. If you search any of those terms + any kind of disease you're bound to find loads of results. Try it with cancer, ebola or depression. That's how complex diseases are.

If you specifically looked into the issue I'd appreciate your input. Am I supposed to read all of those links?
Read the top headline hits on each search. They're very clear.

My issue with @Wolverine 's post quoted below is his/her assertion in the last sentence and your similar assertion with the three complications you singled out.

I would rather you both do your own research before posting these generalisations or put them in to context. As I have said, the main danger with COVID-19 compared to flu is the absence of a vaccine and proven effective treatments. Pretty much all of the other complications; and also the consequences of ventilation listed below can occur with flu. It may well be (and probably highly likely) that their incidence is greater in COVID-19, especially currently, but that is not what is being claimed....

"Any herd immunity like strategy would have to take into account that we would be exposing a significant proportion of the population to risks of pulmonary emobolism, strokes, myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, kidney complications, limb venous thrombosis (with potential amputation risks in extreme), possibly irreversible lung damage, intubation complications, tracheostomy complications, increased heart attack risks, vasculitis-like rashes in adults and children , neurological complication, psychological complications, memory and cognitive deficits if they recover from delirium. That is simply not the case when thinking of the flu."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I hear a local secondary school by me has been readying itself with a device for temperate checks on entry, directional routes in and out revised timetables to accommodate the numbers in order that social distancing can be observed - all this being prepared weeks in advance of the announcement.

Imagine living in a country where common sense can prevail in order to prevent a state of permanent lockdown that extends to the point of economic and social ruin?
Imagine a country where members of parliament are working from home and don't think it's safe yet to return to their offices but are more than happy to tell others to do it.

When MPs are sitting shoulder to shoulder in the HoC again - that's when it'll be safe to reopen the schools to their previous levels of overcrowding.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

My issue with @Wolverine 's post quoted below is his/her assertion in the last sentence and your similar assertion with the three complications you singled out.

I would rather you both do your own research before posting these generalisations or put them in to context. As I have said, the main danger with COVID-19 compared to flu is the absence of a vaccine and proven effective treatments. Pretty much all of the other complications; and also the consequences of ventilation listed below can occur with flu. It may well be (and probably highly likely) that their incidence is greater in COVID-19, especially currently, but that is not what is being claimed....

"Any herd immunity like strategy would have to take into account that we would be exposing a significant proportion of the population to risks of pulmonary emobolism, strokes, myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, kidney complications, limb venous thrombosis (with potential amputation risks in extreme), possibly irreversible lung damage, intubation complications, tracheostomy complications, increased heart attack risks, vasculitis-like rashes in adults and children , neurological complication, psychological complications, memory and cognitive deficits if they recover from delirium. That is simply not the case when thinking of the flu."
Why are you ignoring what people tell you?

@Arruda already told you that the prothrombotic and vasculitic complications aren’t seen with flu. He’s a doctor. So understands this shit better than you. So is @Wolverine. So am I. A lot of the potential long term complications are common to all ITU patients and/or seen with other severe viral infections. But not all of them.

Wading into this thread picking arguments with - and repeatedly ignoring explanations provided by - people better qualified than you is not a good look.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Imagine a country where members of parliament are working from home and don't think it's safe yet to return to their offices but are more than happy to tell others to do it.

When MPs are sitting shoulder to shoulder in the HoC again - that's when it'll be safe to reopen the schools to their previous levels of overcrowding.
Well said.

Wolverine

I have done research. I do it everyday. There is a paucity of meta-analysis level of data given how relatively novel COVID is to be making accurate comparisons so I was partly going by what I've read, seen, experienced since end of March/early april from dealing with covid patients, speaking to ITU consultants, infectious disease doctors who I'm friends with, virologists who I've attended lectures of in person (initially) but now mainly on webinars

Certainly I was wrong if I implied that aforementioned complications didn't exist in flu, but what I meant to say as I posted above it its about rates of complications, range of complications, severity of complications. All of which of course will be elucidated later on with more sound data. But absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence as they say.

But I mean with flu in young kids the hyperinflammatory Kawasaki-esque post-COVID syndrome just wasn't part of the picture. Things like that. Like I can't remember renal wards telling us their dialysis machines are clotted up or oxygen supplies run out during any of the previous flu seasons.

Last edited:

Smores

I think teachers have a right to see that any preparations made by schools are led by guidance backed by scientific opinion. Unions have an even bigger role in ensuring those protections. The testimony to committee from the DFE has not provided that confidence and has been worryingly poor.

But Tory bot ManUArfa thinks everyone should just use common sense, a position he definitely arrived at independently.

It doesn't take a great deal of empathy to understand why teachers would be concerned for their own health and/or that of their loved ones.

Wolverine

@Arruda already told you that the prothrombotic and vasculitic complications aren’t seen with flu. He’s a doctor. So understands this shit better than you. So is @Wolverine. So am I. A lot of the potential long term complications are common to all ITU patients and/or seen with other severe viral infections. But not all of them.

Wading into this thread picking arguments with - and repeatedly ignoring explanations provided by - people better qualified than you is not a good look.
With the sheer number of doctors in here I think we've reached nerd immunity.
I know that doesn't make sense but just punning.

onemanarmy

The downward trend seems to continue in Belgium.

In the past 24 hours, 67 people have been hospitalized. "The trend continues to decline and is now decreasing by 8% per day," said virologist Steven Van Gucht. The trend also continues to decline in intensive care. Unfortunately, 56 people also died from the effects of the coronavirus. "The number of deaths decreases by 6% per day."

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
With the amount of boring 'facts' and 'statistics' you losers post, I'd imagine you've definitely got 'bird immunity'.

(As in women won't go near you, because they hate facts and well thought out logic and instead love alpha males like @ManUArfa who just goes with his feelings and alternative facts)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
With the amount of boring 'facts' and 'statistics' you losers post, I'd imagine you've definitely got 'bird immunity'.

(As in women won't go near you, because they hate facts and well thought out logic and instead love alpha males like @ManUArfa who just goes with his feelings and alternative facts)
:lol:

(joke was plenty good enough to not need the explanation though)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's terrible and I know a thing or two about bad puns.:lol:

ManUArfa

No no, I mentioned in my response to Pogue that a lot of them are

Bear in mind I'm referring to seasonal and not pandemic flu. I don't take seasonal flu lightly, first thing I tell my patients in GP surgery is to get their flu jab.

My first job was in respiratory medicine as a junior (albeit in the summer) but I have worked in A&E and resus in the winter and my acute medical rotation was in a second tier NIV-equipped ward which saw complicated flu patients

Certainly we do see pneumonias, myopathies, myocardial involvement, encephalitis, GBS, sepsis, worsening of chronic diseases with flu in addition to delirium in the elderly. But my point is the incidences of those complications and like I said covid is new so we're still awaiting data but the breath of complications are more vast

I don't know how prevalent coagulopathies are for example in the instance of severe flu, nor the degree of acute kidney injuries or ARDS which are features of COVID.

By every metric from what I've seen in my line of work covid patients even the non-ITU ones have been sicker. The white outs on their chest Xrays are more, the lactates, trops and d-dimers are higher, electrolytes more deranged, eGFRs and blood pressures are lower, oxygen sats are lower, pH's more acidotic, the older's one arrest more, the younger ones arrest too or reach peri-arrest very easily and often. And they need to be on tubes for longer, harder to wean off, get intubated more often, inotrope needs are higher, get way more secretions and require more intense chest physio. And I'm using as a comparison the sick, young, few comorbidities complicated flu vs complicated covid for comparison as best as I can from memory and experience.

But of course we have to wait for the formal data.

I think certainly the R0 for covid might be higher but flu has a shorter median incubation period (the time from infection to appearance of symptoms) and a shorter serial interval (the time between successive cases) than COVID which means flu in theory can spread faster. Mortality I think for covid generally is higher and I don't know whether the seasonal flu we see year after year is something that is a less deadly strain and that we are getting more immune to it and as a result most are not as ill

Incidentally my wife works as a dermatologist, covid presents in all weird and wonderful dermatological manifestations but she has just biopsied a potential toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) patient secondary to covid. TEN is a rare but very serious condition and one of the few true derm emergencies. I don't think I've seen case reports of TEN secondary to covid in literature yet but yet another one to add to how shitty covid is.

So I just think prognostic implications on a population wide basis if our strategy is gradual herd immunity (or if that just seen as an inevitable clincal end point) that we take into consideration prevalence and extent of complications beyond case fatality rate.
Thank you. This is the context I felt that was required as the statement on its own was potentially misleading and many people choose to view misleading statements, and comments out of context, as truth. The dangers posed by COVID-19 are extremely worrying at this stage of the knowledge and treatment base.

PS. I don't we should view natural here's immunity as a policy, more so an inevitably. The worldwide aim at the moment, in the absence of a vaccine, is to slow that down as much as possible to protect health systems and save lives.

Pagh Wraith

I take 100iU of vit D every day because of some research at my old university:

They haven’t untangled correlation and causation yet but it’s one of those things with no downside, so feck it.
100 seems quite low. I take 7000 iU every day during the Winter months. I read quite a lot of articles about it when I started taking vitamin D supplements a few years back and the consensus seemed to be that even much higher amounts were safe.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Erm, his style indicates he could be the future president of the USA. Or even prime minister of the UK. I would be careful. :nervous:

fergieisold

There was some discussion yesterday about how Vietnam has managed to have no deaths at all, and only about 300 cases. This article on the BBC explains how they achieved it, but I don't think people would comply to the same extent in a lot of countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52628283
I've got friends living in HCM - they said there was a lockdown but people didn't really pay much attention and there still didn't seem to be many cases. Interesting for sure!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

That isn't what the unions want and it is totally disingenuous to suggest so.

I think you, like everyone on this thread, have something to contribute. We are all learning, we are all hopefully polite individuals. But as far as I can tell, so far in this thread, you've accused others of making it political, while showing a clear political bias yourself and have approached conversations with people who on paper probably know more than you on this topic with unnecessary aggression imo.

It isn't really useful or conducive to a good debate or learning environment, for anyone involved.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I've got friends living in HCM - they said there was a lockdown but people didn't really pay much attention and there still didn't seem to be many cases. Interesting for sure!
Only 300-ish cases, but they haven't done much testing (they don't need to, really). It's quite amazing how they haven't been affected.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And it also ignores the immeasurable benefits of being with your family, who love you and will protect you. I saw my 96-year-old next-door neighbour on her balcony the other day, the first time I've seen her in 2 months. She lives in the same house as her son, his wife and their son, but has her own separate entrance. Normally she walks to the shop on a daily basis, but she has people to do that for her now so she has no worries. She can completely isolate without any detriment.

In care homes you're just one of many and carers may be kind, but it's not the same.
I totally agree. As good a job as the carers often do (and it is a job where you don't get much thanks or appreciation), it will never be like family.

The cultural differences are certainly interesting too. My Dutch in laws see it as perfectly normal to go to a care home if you're older and no longer coping/ your family are bit further away etc. My Egyptian in laws baulk at the idea.

That's great news about your neighbour, hope you guys are staying safe.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No worries, i just remember reading about the outbreak and them scrambling to get that approved and manufactured. There's a long list of side effects but none of them compare to what the virus can do.

Ebola has always fascinated me as it looks like the one disease that really does/did have the potential to wipe out millions.
Yeah its a pretty terrible illness. Pretty embarrassing for me, once upon a time, I was one of the docs who went out there to help in some of the initial outbreak control :lol:. Guess I've lost touch with it recently.

Great news though.

The flip side of Ebola management in the past though is it shows how effective public health measures can be in controlling outbreaks even if you don't have a good vaccine or treatment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
100 seems quite low. I take 7000 iU every day during the Winter months. I read quite a lot of articles about it when I started taking vitamin D supplements a few years back and the consensus seemed to be that even much higher amounts were safe.
Typo! I meant 1000iU. I think you get into diminishing returns above that dose.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There seems to be some optimistic news in fairly informed circles that a vaccine may be nearer that we thought.
https://www.afr.com/life-and-luxury...el-prize-and-i-don-t-give-a-s-20200506-p54qhb

It isn't a given but I'd be surprised if the majority of people who have had it aren't wholey or partially immune for a year or three as an immune response is usual and the virus is mutating slowly, as is normal with rna viruses.

As you say viruses normally slowly mutate to be less deadly, as killing your host reduces their evolutionary fitness.
I have a colleague who knows one of the leads in the Oxford trial. He says she's very confident so we'll see. I hope they're right and as @Pogue Mahone said, seems vaccine development has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years.

I'd also be very surprised if infection doesn't give you at least some short-mid term immunity but we'll see as time goes on I guess!