SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

MDFC Manager

The worldwide outlook (with a few exceptions) is looking a bit better these days isn't it. Beginning to feel better and less anxious already.

rotherham_red

I can see his difficulty. When random people start using well defined technical terms that they clearly don't understand, it can be difficult to respond fluently.

Also, from the way she's referring to herd immunity, the framing of the question is similar to "so did you stop beating your wife?". Impossible to answer with a straightforward yes or no without falling into a trap.
Except on March 13th he was more than happy to say herd immunity was his strategy of choice. I appreciate that the clip has most likely been edited to his detriment, but even still, it's not a good look for him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Ventured out for the first time today after being in shielding, I'm still meant to be shielding but my mental health was starting to take its toll from not seeing the outdoors for 2 months.

Found a piece of countryside with no one around and had a 20 minute stroll, felt strange being outside again.

lynchie

Except on March 13th he was more than happy to say herd immunity was his strategy of choice. I appreciate that the clip has most likely been edited to his detriment, but even still, it's not a good look for him.
He said herd immunity is how this gets under control, which is one of 2 possible outcomes, the other being eradication of the virus, which is unlikely. So either you achieve herd immunity through a vaccine (hopeful but not even close to guaranteed) or through the virus spreading to everyone (grim).

lynchie

All I’ve seen today on Facebook is people talking about having “social distancing” picnics with their parents and families.
That's got to be better than seeing the 10 album covers that inspired them for the millionth time

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I don't know if anyone's previously mentioned this very recent study of excess mortality, but I read about it in the Italian press and the full paper is available online - it's quite alarming for England. Apols if it's been posted before.

From the summary :
Of the 24 countries or regions covered, England had the highest peak weekly excess mortality in total, and also for the most vulnerable age group (the over-65s), and, strikingly, for the 15-64 age group. For the last group, which should be less at risk, the relative record for England is nearly 3 times worse than the next worst- ranked country, Spain (German data suggest mortality well within the normal range). While different reasons for England’s divergent pattern are explored, more research is urgently needed.
https://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/d...England-vs.-Europe-and-the-COVID-pandemic.pdf

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He said herd immunity is how this gets under control, which is one of 2 possible outcomes, the other being eradication of the virus, which is unlikely. So either you achieve herd immunity through a vaccine (hopeful but not even close to guaranteed) or through the virus spreading to everyone (grim).
Just to be pedantic, herd immunity is the same thing as eradicating the virus. Just takes a long time to achieve. If/when we get herd immunity that’s the end of the virus. That’s what we did with smallpox.

There’s a 3rd outcome. The virus becomes endemic and we have to live with it, indefinitely. In this scenario it will likely become less and less dangerous as the virus and our immune system evolve together to make it less lethal. If I was a betting man, this would be the one I’d put money on.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I can see his difficulty. When random people start using well defined technical terms that they clearly don't understand, it can be difficult to respond fluently.

Also, from the way she's referring to herd immunity, the framing of the question is similar to "so did you stop beating your wife?". Impossible to answer with a straightforward yes or no without falling into a trap.
I think the more revealing thing is the fact they didn't really think a lockdown would be accepted by society, so mitigation was preferred over suppression almost by default. Sounds a lot like the behavioural scientists persuaded them that a lockdown was hardly a viable option.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just to be pedantic, herd immunity is the same thing as eradicating the virus. Just takes a long time to achieve. If/when we get herd immunity that’s the end of the virus. That’s what we did with smallpox.

There’s a 3rd outcome. The virus becomes endemic and we have to live with it, indefinitely. In this scenario it will likely become less and less dangerous as the virus and our immune system evolve together to make it less lethal. If I was a betting man, this would be the one I’d put money on.
Are you sure? We can have herd immunity, but also the virus to still circulate (essentially being endemic). Herd immunity which will eradicate the virus can happen only if having the virus means that you cannot get infected from it in the future (which is extremely unlikely).

Totally agree with your last paragraph. It is almost sure that the virus is gonna become endemic. Hopefully a good vaccine will make most people immune from it, and good anti-virals will give some protection to the remaining, but I think that likely this is gonna become another seasonal 'flu' (despite not being caused from influenza viruses).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Are you sure? We can have herd immunity, but also the virus to still circulate (essentially being endemic). Herd immunity which will eradicate the virus can happen only if having the virus means that you cannot get infected from it in the future (which is extremely unlikely).

Totally agree with your last paragraph. It is almost sure that the virus is gonna become endemic. Hopefully a good vaccine will make most people immune from it, and good anti-virals will give some protection to the remaining, but I think that likely this is gonna become another seasonal 'flu' (despite not being caused from influenza viruses).
I don’t think you need permanent immunity for herd immunity to eradicate the virus. Just a year or two would probably do it. Which is possible, based on SARS/MERS, right? Could be wrong though. The fact measles is still hanging round works against this theory!

Revan

Assumptionman
I don’t think you need permanent immunity for herd immunity to eradicate the virus. Just a year or two would probably do it. Which is possible, based on SARS/MERS, right? Could be wrong though. The fact measles is still hanging round works against this theory!
You might be right. If let's say 85% of the world gets infected, then the virus will just die cause there won't be enough people for it to jump. And when those people will lose the immunity, the virus would be long gone.

However, this would assume that these 85% of people would be infected at the same time. If it is a gradual process within a few years, then I guess it won't work, cause all the times there will be some vulnerable people.

I am using the 85% figure, cause it seems that the R0 of the virus might be close to 6, which means that more than 80% of people need to get it before we achieve herd immunity. For what is worth, measles is much more infectious (an estimated R0 of around 12, meaning that 95% or so of people need to catch it - or get vaccinated - for the remaining to be safe).

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ventured out for the first time today after being in shielding, I'm still meant to be shielding but my mental health was starting to take its toll from not seeing the outdoors for 2 months.

Found a piece of countryside with no one around and had a 20 minute stroll, felt strange being outside again.
Good for you.
Now get back in your foxhole soldier!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Isnt coronavirus the same as the common cold, its never going to be vaccinated. However hopefully the payload of Covid-19 maybe.
20-30% of colds are due to a few different coronaviruses. The main reason we haven't developed vaccines for them is cost benefit considerations. Drug companies would need to develop 4 vaccines to address on a small proportion of colds which would only really have a small benefit (and thus market).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The choice of animal model to use and frequency of dosing won’t be compulsory. That’s all part of the ‘art’ of drug development. The regulatory framework allows for a fair bit of autonomy. Getting those things wrong can set a project back years, or even kill it altogether.

Having said that, I’m not going to pretend to know more than the boffins developing this drug. I’m just not accepting the idea that results would be better if only they’d gone with a different type of monkey.
I'm not sure if it is a case of it being the wrong sort on monkey or mammal in general neccesarily rather than the inherant limitations of animal testing.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I think true herd immunity requires you to exceed HIT so as to reduce R to below 1. If you actually do this then eventually the virus will be functionally eradicated. Of course getting everywhere in the world above the HIT and below an R of 1 for the entire period of time required to eradicate is not at all easy.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think true herd immunity requires you to exceed HIT so as to reduce R to below 1. If you actually do this then eventually the virus will be functionally eradicated. Of course getting everywhere in the world above the HIT and below an R of 1 for the entire period of time required to eradicate is not at all easy.
Yeah, that is the thing. When you consider the entire world (and that there is a likely chance that people might get reinfected within 1-3 years), then it is hard seeing herd immunity eradicating the virus. It is also the reason why no disease ever has been eradicated from herd immunity (smallpox was eradicated and measles eradicated in the Western world until its revival recently, but that was because of vaccines).

What I think herd immunity is gonna achieve is to make the virus much less contagious (by the virtue of most people having caught it before), but it will still be endemic. In fact, even with a vaccine there is a high chance that it will still be endemic (considering that we likely need over 80% of people to both get vaccinated and for the vaccine to work on them).

Revan

Assumptionman
I criticized the UK before when it comes to testing, but now they are doing an excellent job at it and putting most other countries to shame. They surpassed the US and Germany at tests per capital (despite being in a much worse position just a few weeks ago), and if they continue like this, they will surpass Italy and Spain soon.

The question is, why they did feck all for 2 months, if now they can do so many? Nevertheless, better later than never, and clearly, intensive testing will play an important part in opening the country safely. So credit where it's due.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, that is the thing. When you consider the entire world (and that there is a likely chance that people might get reinfected within 1-3 years), then it is hard seeing herd immunity eradicating the virus. It is also the reason why no disease ever has been eradicated from herd immunity (smallpox was eradicated and measles eradicated in the Western world until its revival recently, but that was because of vaccines).

What I think herd immunity is gonna achieve is to make the virus much less contagious (by the virtue of most people having caught it before), but it will still be endemic. In fact, even with a vaccine there is a high chance that it will still be endemic (considering that we likely need over 80% of people to both get vaccinated and for the vaccine to work on them).
I agree. I was assuming the only way to get true herd immunity was with a vaccine. Even the it will be hard.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I criticized the UK before when it comes to testing, but now they are doing an excellent job at it and putting most other countries to shame. They surpassed the US and Germany at tests per capital (despite being in a much worse position just a few weeks ago), and if they continue like this, they will surpass Italy and Spain soon.

The question is, why they did feck all for 2 months, if now they can do so many? Nevertheless, better later than never, and clearly, intensive testing will play an important part in opening the country safely. So credit where it's due.
Ruled by incompetents

Revan

Assumptionman
Doomed once Trump thought they would work. He is the truth equivalent of antimatter.
True :lol:

To be fair, there weren't many reasons to think it will work. It was created for malaria (so it isn't even an anti-viral), and both WHO and FDA did not have it on the fifty-something drugs they were putting in a clinical trial. Obviously, FDA had to backtrack after Trump's insane shilling and eventually put it on trials, but the hope was always low. Dr. Fauci (who might know a thing or two about viruses) was always extremely skeptical towards it, to the point that Fox presenters couldn't understand why he just cannot see that hydroxychloroquine is the solution.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
US and UK 'lead push against global patent pool for Covid-19 drugs'

While the US and China face off, the EU has taken the lead. The leaders of Italy, France, Germany and Norway, together with the European commission and council, called earlier this month for any innovative tools, therapeutics or vaccines to be shared equally and fairly.

“If we can develop a vaccine that is produced by the world, for the whole world, this will be a unique global public good of the 21st century,” they said in a statement.

In the weeks of negotiations leading up to the meeting, which is scheduled to last for less than a day, there has been a dispute over the language of the resolution. Countries with major pharmaceutical companies argue they need patents to guarantee sufficiently high prices in wealthy nations to recoup their research and development costs.

Even more fraught have been attempts to reinforce countries’ existing rights to break drug and vaccine company patent monopolies if they need to for the sake of public health. A hard-fought battle over Aids drugs 20 years ago led to the World Trade Organization’s Doha declaration on trade-related intellectual property (Trips) in favour of access to medicines for all, but the US, which has some of the world’s biggest drug companies, has strongly opposed wording that would encourage the use of Trips.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...against-global-patent-pool-for-covid-19-drugs

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I may have caught it. Will most likely find out between today or tomorrow.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
True :lol:

To be fair, there weren't many reasons to think it will work. It was created for malaria (so it isn't even an anti-viral), and both WHO and FDA did not have it on the fifty-something drugs they were putting in a clinical trial. Obviously, FDA had to backtrack after Trump's insane shilling and eventually put it on trials, but the hope was always low. Dr. Fauci (who might know a thing or two about viruses) was always extremely skeptical towards it, to the point that Fox presenters couldn't understand why he just cannot see that hydroxychloroquine is the solution.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...king-hydroxychloroquine-covid-19-fda-warnings

Revan

Assumptionman

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Still seeing some pretty sick patients coming through A&E. Granted, the numbers are small but they are still coming through the door on a daily basis.

A gentleman I treated yesterday in resus had oxygen saturations of 44% on air. I’ve been sensitised so much by seeing these numbers so often that I’ve forgotten how incredibly surreal it is to see numbers that low. He went to ITU yesterday.

I’m glad to see numbers dropping daily but I am very wary of it still. People are taking the easing of restrictions too lightly. Another peak will come - what isn’t clear is how big it’ll be. Hopefully much smaller than our previous peak.