SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

But that's nonsense. The tube would need to be cleaned everytime a new person got in or out.

It’s happening currently, not to that level of degree but deep cleans are happening. Which is more that is happening with any London taxi.

I'm not following.

In a Cab there is two people, one driver, one NHS worker.

The cab can be wiped down between pickups.

On the tube, there are an unknown number of contacts and no method of maintaining cleanliness.

I can't see any situation where the former is worse than the latter.

Colour me sceptical, but I severely doubt the average cabbie is performing a full disinfection of the cabin between customer visits. He could. But who does that?

Also the cabbie is taking cash in hand from most passengers. Being passed notes and coins another person handled.

Might be safer than the tube, but it ain't safe.

Sorry but that’s a ridiculous suggestion. There is zero infection control methods with cabs and an extreme high risk of passing the virus on.

The answer is to address with more capacity on the tube to encourage distancing or to push all non-key workers to stay at home.

There's nothing wrong with the Underground capacity. They should be reducing it if anything. 2 million people use the tube every day and there are a little over 100,000 NHS clinical staff in London. The problem is all the random office jobs thinking they're essential because the country will collapse if they can't provide their executive recruitment services or whatever pointless thing it is they do.

If anyone is still wondering why people are confused.

Look at this tweet. The image on the left was the official government tweet before 10pm last night.

The one on the right is after 10pm.

Do not defend this.

The national address was at 8.35pm so I don't see the issue here.

There's nothing wrong with the Underground capacity. They should be reducing it if anything. 2 million people use the tube every day and there are a little over 100,000 NHS clinical staff in London. The problem is all the random office jobs thinking they're essential because the country will collapse if they can't provide their executive recruitment services or whatever pointless thing it is they do.

1.9m random office jobs is the problem. I’m guessing it’s just essential workers, and those who haven’t been told to stay at home (self employed or otherwise). If they kept the same capacity that they had pre-mini shut down then i don’t think we would have the bunching experience that we’re seeing over the past two days.

Because the police now have the power to fine people and disperse gatherings of more than 2 people. Also the shutting down of all shops except food and medical. The order for the closing of places of worship and libraries. There's a lot different.

But those, except the 2 people, were mentioned on Friday. Most things closed on the weekend, maybe it's where I am but I saw no store not under the essential shops open. Either he did say it and people listened and he just repeated, or these places did it themselves and he is just saying it to confirm. Either way, almost nothing is new in what he said in my opinion.... again except the 2 people thing.

I can only assume it's a set up for something more strict later but again, enforcement will be tough without going extreme

A step up in measures expected, though not to the same degree as in the UK.

Can anyone in the UK describe to me the message they got if they are one of the high-risk people advised to completely isolate for 12 weeks?

My mum got two phone calls this morning and then a text on her mobile from the NHS. It didn't give any specific instructions so we're not sure if she is at-risk or not. Was there just a general mass text sent out today?

Can anyone in the UK describe to me the message they got if they are one of the high-risk people advised to completely isolate for 12 weeks?

My mum got two phone calls this morning and then a text on her mobile from the NHS. It didn't give any specific instructions so we're not sure if she is at-risk or not. Was there just a general mass text sent out today?
I’ll PM you a photo of it

It's unhealthy in that endurance athletes have an increased risk of upper respiratory tract infections. That's not "nothing whatsoever."

Depending on the effort it can also lead to temporary Immuno suppression.

I got what I think was a mass text message. I've no particular risk factors, not on medication, under treatment for anything.

It reads:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

I assume the "you're at risk" text tells you to expect a letter or has a different link - but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another text later clarifying whether or not this is the heavy duty version.

Meanwhile in assuming it isn't, because I'm going to be doing the shopping for some family members who are in home isolation.

I got what I think was a mass text message. I've no particular risk factors, not on medication, under treatment for anything.

It reads:
GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus

I assume the "you're at risk" text tells you to expect a letter or has a different link - but I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if I get another text later clarifying whether or not this is the heavy duty version.

Meanwhile in assuming it isn't, because I'm going to be doing the shopping for some family members who are in home isolation.

Yeah that was it. Just keep me posted please. Are the NHS in the habit of doing mass texts? It's kind of a thing in the US. We get Amber Alerts when a child has been abducted or when extreme weather is coming.

Don’t know if this has already been posted or mentioned.

@Bloomberg business twitter account:

‘BREAKING: China’s Wuhan to lift lockdown measures on April 8’

Full article on: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dium=social&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

You also have the critical voices, who claim that this is ‘Chinese propaganda’.

Best case scenario:
Wuhan has been in lockdown for 2 months? If European countries will follow the same route (many did), the trajectory of a potential (emphasis on potential) lift would be somewhere around the end of May or beginning of June?

I guess that would be a case by case situation, considering the amount of cases in each country, the growth, the peak and eventually the decline.

This is the one for those at risk:
YpMOYHV.jpg

First it was corona, then we got hit by earthquake and now it's been snowing last 2 days with really cold weather outside.

Can't make this shit up. :(

Yeah that was it. Just keep me posted please. Are the NHS in the habit of doing mass texts? It's kind of a thing in the US. We get Amber Alerts when a child has been abducted or when extreme weather is coming.
No. First time I've seen anything like this.

My GP sometimes send appointment reminders or a reminder to call them to book myself in for some sort of test.

I've been trying to get clarification from my boss but he's clueless and I don't think he's actually asking for me.

Ordinarily I only qualify for SSP if I'm off work. However I'm classed as key worker and have to come and look after children who have been sent to school. As far as I'm concerned I'm at a much higher risk of contracting the virus as I'm working 5 days a weeks with care home children who will have contact with various other people out of school. With the government stating they'll pay 80% of wages does this include workers forced into SSP due to illness?

I'll be in a real catch 22 if I get ill. While I would stay off and take the hit financially I know some colleagues who would likely come to work as they cannot afford to live on SSP.

Best case scenario:
Wuhan has been in lockdown for 2 months? If European countries will follow the same route (many did), the trajectory of a potential (emphasis on potential) lift would be somewhere around the end of May or beginning of June?

I guess that would be a case by case situation, considering the amount of cases in each country, the growth, the peak and eventually the decline.

My gut feel says mid-June is where we’ll see restrictions lifted in the UK if Wuhan is anything to go by. I think ours will take longer to control mainly because we’re still quite relaxed in who is staying in at home & who isn’t, where as Wuhan was pretty swift in shutting down.

PM'd you the text I received

I've been trying to get clarification from my boss but he's clueless and I don't think he's actually asking for me.

Ordinarily I only qualify for SSP if I'm off work. However I'm classed as key worker and have to come and look after children who have been sent to school. As far as I'm concerned I'm at a much higher risk of contracting the virus as I'm working 5 days a weeks with care home children who will have contact with various other people out of school. With the government stating they'll pay 80% of wages does this include workers forced into SSP due to illness?

I'll be in a real catch 22 if I get ill. While I would stay off and take the hit financially I know some colleagues who would likely come to work as they cannot afford to live on SSP.

The 80% of wages is when the company puts you into a furlough status, essentially non-duty status (extended holiday) and then the company can claim back the grant from the government. If you’re working throughout this period then they cannot claim this. If you fall sick in this period then you’ll fall into standard SSP process or whatever your contractual status says about sick pay.

It’s worth checking with Citizen’s Advice at this time to ensure you’re clear on what happens in your scenario. The furlough status is simply there to stop companies putting people into redundancy.

Colour me sceptical, but I severely doubt the average cabbie is performing a full disinfection of the cabin between customer visits. He could. But who does that?

Also the cabbie is taking cash in hand from most passengers. Being passed notes and coins another person handled.

Might be safer than the tube, but it ain't safe.
Cabbie's take cards these cards ffs! Agree they're unlikely to do a full cleaning of it, but if the passenger wears gloves and a mask, it should surely be low risk.

Cabbie's take cards these cards ffs! Agree they're unlikely to do a full cleaning of it, but if the passenger wears gloves and a mask, it should surely be low risk.

It’s not low risk, anything but low risk. Unless taxi’s are deep cleaning then it’s a non-starter as far as I’m concerned, the risk is too high.

My friend's niece in the UK got a letter yesterday telling her to stay in for 12 weeks. I'd say give her GP a ring and see what the system is where your mum is.

Just got a call from my work saying the Government have told them select employee’s can still go into retail store’s to fulfil online orders etc.

Last edited:
The 80% of wages is when the company puts you into a furlough status, essentially non-duty status (extended holiday) and then the company can claim back the grant from the government. If you’re working throughout this period then they cannot claim this. If you fall sick in this period then you’ll fall into standard SSP process or whatever your contractual status says about sick pay.

It’s worth checking with Citizen’s Advice at this time to ensure you’re clear on what happens in your scenario. The furlough status is simply there to stop companies putting people into redundancy.

Thanks.

I think when the dust settles on this there will be legal action taken by employees against employers and I can see laws being changed in regard to sick pay.

It’s not low risk, anything but low risk. Unless taxi’s are deep cleaning then it’s a non-starter as far as I’m concerned, the risk is too high.
OK, lower than tube then- look either way, key workers are having to put their health down to chance as much as anything here.

Girl on my Facebook fretting about having a kid that lives between two houses and being given contradictory advice on it by the government.

Put your brains together and come up with a common sense decision yourselves ya dumbass. It’s obviously not essential when it comes to saving lives, despite the government apparently saying it is.

Friend who works as a contractor building Aldi stores has said that Aldi have had to step in and close their construction sites as the government have failed to do so.

The government need to shut them down if the clients don't (in Aldi's case there for example) if the contractor tells their staff and subcontractors to close the site before the government tell them to then they will be held to liquidated damages which can be tens of thousands a day.

It reads:

Yeah, I got that text at exactly 8.30am this morning.

I don't understand why it's a catch 22. You simply must self isolate if you're unwell. If people don't have the moral compass to do that then they are killing others. In your situation you are looking after the children of key workers or those with special needs. So going against that is basically infecting the vital key work needed to run the country.