SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure if it’ll be June or later but sometime around Summer I’d guess we will be able to go out almost everywhere. Limited capacity, travel restrictions and ban on mass gatherings will continue though so not everything will be as normal and it will be noticeable.
How do you know? Out of interest?
Even the experts don't know for sure, unless they're hiding it amongst themselves.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just seen Priti Patel doing the daily update today so they've let here out of the basement she's been hiding in.

Reminds me of when Dougal did that mass in Father Ted. :lol:

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
When this started, we were told that around 3% of cases would likely be fatal and that most would be mild. I'm not a great mathematician but it seems to me that the fatalities appear to be more like 10%? And the stats here don't fill me with confidence https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Classical Mechanic

Skills

Snitch
When this started, we were told that around 3% of cases would likely be fatal and that most would be mild. I'm not a great mathematician but it seems to me that the fatalities appear to be more like 10%? And the stats here don't fill me with confidence https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
The number of people diagnosed is not reflective of the number people who have got it. The countries that are doing the most testing (Germany and SK) come around 2%

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Does Corona virus onset justify Brexit? European answer hardly coordinated. Asking UK posters.

Would you be or feel safer inside EU?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just seen Priti Patel doing the daily update today so they've let here out of the basement she's been hiding in.

It has been tough for her tbf. She had only just managed to dismiss a lot of these carers, cleaners and service staff as being unskilled and inessential to the UK's immigration plans, when suddenly they become key workers. Putting her in a position where she might have to actually show an ounce of compassion or empathy towards them is really asking too much.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Great idea to have someone accused of bullying launching a campaign against abuse...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pritti being hammered by the journalists. :lol: That's why we haven't seen much of her, easy target and they know it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

She was awful at reading the statement but she's actually doing a lot better talking off the cuff.

Some of the questions being asked are inane. Give a date when the PPE will be delivered, how can you give a date? This is an unprecedented situation, you can't pull it out of your arse and the logistics issues are crazy.

Irwin99

Does Corona virus onset justify Brexit? European answer hardly coordinated. Asking UK posters.

Well, for all the questions about sovereignty that Brexit brought up it just shows that individual countries have a lot of power to make their own decisions and 'go their own path' given each country's response to the crisis. So much for the superstate rhetoric of the Brexitiers.

It's after this that the real questions will be asked. Tensions will be quite high all over the place. A strong and united Europe is the best thing to hope for but sadly that might not be the case.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
There's something so fecking evil about that Priti Patel. I genuinely find her so eerie. I don't think there's any politician that makes my skin crawl like she does. Maybe Pence, he has that sinister shit going on as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pritti being hammered by the journalists. :lol: That's why we haven't seen much of her, easy target and they know it.
I find all MPs quite strange at times. They are clearly very well educated and trained to speak well publicly yet when it comes to making an apology they avoid it and go all around the houses. I get that they don't want to necessarily take responsibility but with regards to the journo who was asking her to apologise for the lack of PPE why not just say of course the government apologises etc etc and we are doing x,y,z to improve and this is the reason why we are struggling with it etc.

Is it that bigger deal to say that?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I would say no as the fall out will be exacerbated by Brexit. It has shown that Europe is less United though, Northern Europe is on top, Southern Europe on the bottom (excuse the truism).

Dante

Average bang
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/china/africans-guangzhou-china-coronavirus-hnk-intl/index.html
Africans in Guangzhou are on edge, after many are left homeless amid rising xenophobia as China fights a second wave of coronavirus

The African community in Guangzhou is on edge after widespread accounts were shared on social media of people being left homeless this week, as China's warnings against imported coronavirus cases stoke anti-foreigner sentiment.

In the southern Chinese city, Africans have been evicted from their homes by landlords and turned away from hotels, despite many claiming to have no recent travel history or known contact with Covid-19 patients.

CNN interviewed more than two dozen Africans living in Guangzhou many of whom told of the same experiences: being left without a home, being subject to random testing for Covid-19, and being quarantined for 14 days in their homes, despite having no symptoms or contact with known patients.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
She was awful at reading the statement but she's actually doing a lot better talking off the cuff.

Some of the questions being asked are inane. Give a date when the PPE will be delivered, how can you give a date? This is an unprecedented situation, you can't pull it out of your arse and the logistics issues are crazy.
The problem there is that Johnson initially did give a date, saying that PPE would arrive for every care worker by the end of the week in what was described as a "gamechanging" promise. That was back in the middle of March.

Once your government makes that kind of specific promise you leave yourself open to these kind of questions when it doesn't happen.

DVG7

regards the UK numbers, almost 1 in 4 tested has the virus. How much extrapolation can you do there? more than 15million cases by the time this is over?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Yes make them give a date, make them be accountable and stop swallowing their lies.
Hancock has been bleating on about how he is 'totally committed' to doing 100k tests a day for ages and we're managing about 18k. Why? He should be flayed alive for our health response, particularly blaming medics of wasting PPE.
Johnson has somehow managed to assemble a cabinet that has bigger pricks than him in it- Hancock, Raab and Patel.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Journalists showing they're absolute arseholes all the way through this tbh, just sound like absolute knobs who think they're better than everyone else. Smirks on their faces when they ask a question they know can't be answered.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We're so fecking weak we almost deserve to be annihilated by this virus.

Imagine how people handled WWII. Six years of sheuggle and we can't even manage three weeks without getting tied of it and having trouble coping.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that no matter what the circumstances people will invariably make me sick, the pathetic fecks.
Well said. People moaning about this lockdown are like fecking babies.

Carolina Red

Staff
We're so fecking weak we almost deserve to be annihilated by this virus.

Imagine how people handled WWII. Six years of struggle and we can't even manage three weeks without getting tied of it and having trouble coping.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that no matter what the circumstances people will invariably make me sick, the pathetic fecks.
Not to mention that same population was thrown from the Great Depression straight into WWII... and many also had lived through WWI.

Wolverine

Replace the journalists with medics and other allied health professionals during these briefings

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
regards the UK numbers, almost 1 in 4 tested has the virus. How much extrapolation can you do there? more than 15million cases by the time this is over?
None. Aren't they only testing sick people?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Why wouldn’t you be able to give at least a target date? It’s not something unquantifiable, they have either placed orders for import or manufacturing and will have expected due dates from those, and have set up a vast logistics program for delivery. It’s fair enough to expect a target date range but explain that due to the difficulties that it’s not possible to guarantee it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well said. People moaning about this lockdown are like fecking babies.
Too right. I can't get any almond milk at the moment, but did you hear me moan about it? feck no! I did the proper thing and broke into my neighbour's house to steal his.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
How do you know? Out of interest?
Even the experts don't know for sure, unless they're hiding it amongst themselves.
This is basically what happened in Wuhan though they had stronger restrictions during lockdown than pretty much all bar Italy and a Spain and they were never hit as hard as European countries either if you trust official numbers. Other Chinese states apparently had less severe restrictions and kept them for about 3 months.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
There were plenty of experts in other countries that had a similar view to the experts in the UK. The outrage seemed more directed at the out of context quotes from Boris that we we‘re going to effectively have a giant pox party to deal with the issue.

Thats not to say that the government haven’t made mistakes but I suspect the core reasons as to why some countries have done better than others will be a lot more complex than the narratives going round on here at the moment.

Regarding demographics for instance, the most populous countries in Europe are

1. Germany 84m
2. UK 68m
3. France 65m
4. Italy 60m
5. Spain 47m

The next most populous western/southern nation is Holland with 17m.

Apart from Germany the worst hit nations are the most populous in Europe. The interesting thing about Germany is that they have 16 federal states within the country that have a lot more autonomy than regions in the UK (not sure about the other nations mentioned), so their response more like a series of smaller nations managing smaller populations as opposed to the Westminster ‘blob’ trying to to coordinate a large country (by European standards). England is also the mostly densely populated or crowded country in Europe which could prove to be another natural disadvantage.

Another seeming outlier in the narrative on here is Belgium. I believe they shutdown really early but have one of the worst deaths per million population rate in the world.

These are just ideas from my own observations but my point is that I feel the final picture will be a lot different to what people are estimating it to be be now.
Your observations make sense. To be clear, I wasn't saying this explains the current UK situation. But do we really have any reason to believe that the initial government approach was based on any real science? They wouldn't say what published research their decisions were relying on. The chief 'scientific' advisor and others have repeatedly spoken in favour of the approach that was quickly abandoned after the outcry from experts. So it wasn't just based on a misunderstood tweet. Being a 'scientific' advisor to the government you're essentially required to not contradict the government. I've no doubt many other countries had similar economic considerations; the same messed up scientific advisory dynamic being shared by other countries wouldn't surprise me either.