SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just watching a bit of the Peter Mccullough thing with Joe Rogan. Worst people in this pandemic have been the credentialed doctors, scientists etc who've spouted dangerous unscientific nonsense, for various reasons. Disagreement are fine but some have genuinely endangered lives through providence legitimacy to vaccine and mask denialism.
Yeah, you can’t really go through medical training without realising we have as many bell ends in our ranks as any other profession. Still, though, it takes quite the fecking outlier on the asshole spectrum to knowingly peddle dangerous bullshit like those guys.

ManchesterYoda

Stop being such a pussy.

The swab goes nowhere near your brain anyway. My 12 year old has had two tests without blinking an eye. He would piss himself if he thought a fully grown man was too scared to do the same.
Very amusing. I didn't say I was to scared to put things up my nose into my brain, I said I don't stick things up my nose into my brain. I used to probably when I was a toddler. They only reason you all happily oblige is because you are told to and so you do. It isn't necessary, but still you do it, for no reason. Saliva tests exist. It isn't necessary to stick something up your nose and that's why I don't do it. I don't go around with a "I'm hard, Covid don't scare me!" tough guy mentality, I go around with a "why are you all so scared?" bewildered mentality. Why are shoving things up your nose? Why are you walking through the park with a mask on? Why do you keep getting injections? I genuinely don't understand why you don't question anything.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Very amusing. I didn't say I was to scared to put things up my nose into my brain, I said I don't stick things up my nose into my brain. I used to probably when I was a toddler. They only reason you all happily oblige is because you are told to and so you do. It isn't necessary, but still you do it, for no reason. Saliva tests exist. It isn't necessary to stick something up your nose and that's why I don't do it. I don't go around with a "I'm hard, Covid don't scare me!" tough guy mentality, I go around with a "why are you all so scared?" bewildered mentality. Why are shoving things up your nose? Why are you walking through the park with a mask on? Why do you keep getting injections? I genuinely don't understand why you don't question anything.
Has it, perhaps, occurred to you that maybe we all have questioned everything, but then also critically assessed the various scientific data points available to make informed and reasoned conclusions?

In yet more of your contradictory logic, you assume most of us are scared of Covid yet suddenly get defensive if someone said you’re scared of a PCR swab.

I’ve never seen such ….. logic, let’s say.

Tarrou

wait so you genuinely think it goes into your brain?

decorativeed

I think I might have just had Omicron yesterday, probably started the day before. Yesterday I felt tired and I had that body ache feeling you get whilst you are recovering after a cold. The one where you keep wanting to stretch like a cat? Today I feel back to normal. If I just felt tired yesterday I wouldn't even mention it but it's the combination of feeling tired and the body ache feeling along with the rapid spread throughout the world. So, it's definitely possible right? Mild is an understatement. I am 42, a smoker and unvaccinated. I'm just wondering why so many people are scared to death of Omicron? I've never been scared of this Covid at any point, but I can understand why some were scared at the beginning, assuming it was much more deadly. Why now though? Omicron is much milder and you've all been jabbed up to the eyeballs. Why are you still scared? Makes no sense to me!
I think I might have had a touch of the old measles yesterday. You know the type that makes you rip all your clothes off and howl at the moon like a wolf. Anyway, I'm right as rain today. It was defo measles too - Why's everyone so fecking scared of measles?

decorativeed

People who stick swabs up their nose are asking the very simple question: Have I got Covid? Too big a question for you apparently.

Widow

Oh Jesus H Christ, we've got another one!

I'm curious, what makes you think you know more than the medical/scientific community?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yes. Although likely less susceptible than anyone else. The lab data on omicron has “hybrid immunity” (infection + vaccine) giving the best protection. Although still a long way below 100%.
I read that vaxxed plus booster at 5/6 months was as good/better still.

I also read that while Omicron evades vaxxes more in terms of initial infection memory cells are working just as well as with other variants.

Then there is that study that suggested Omicron invades nasal cells 70 x faster than Delta but lung cells 10 x slower. If true it could be a game changer as inflammation of lung cells is the big killer.

It is the hope (wait) that kills you (well disease kills you but the point remains).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In fairness lads he's probably stuck a few too many things up his nose into his brain at this point.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Do other countries also do wastewater analysis for viral particles? Through analysis we predicted the wave one week before positive cases were reported.
We do in Australia but it was far more useful when we had virtually eradicated. Then any detection meant we knew someone was infected in an area and could ramp up testing there.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I’ve got questions, why don’t you want your nose swabbed? Do you really believe it touches your brain? Wouldn’t you want to know if your passing on a potentially deadly virus?

NYAS

I’ve got questions, why don’t you want your nose swabbed? Do you really believe it touches your brain? Wouldn’t you want to know if your passing on a potentially deadly virus?
It wasn’t deadly for him, so it can’t be deadly for anyone else. That’s his thought process.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Do other countries also do wastewater analysis for viral particles? Through analysis we predicted the wave one week before positive cases were reported.
The UK does, the basic results for omicron are summarised in:
https://assets.publishing.service.g...t_data/file/1042046/Technical_Briefing_32.pdf
They collect and test from lots of places every week but they're mostly looking at how incidence levels vary over time and how those relate to the stats that are being collected testing people, with a hope they can use wastewater monitoring for early warning. Nationally, they then go on to sequence the samples from about 1000 sites per week.

They found omicron at 5 locations w/c 22 Nov, and it was found 33 sites in w/c 29th Nov. It's probably in more or less all of them now.

owlo

I've seen 25% commonly cited and some studies as high as 33%

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/9/21-1042_article

Vaccines produce far more reliable results in general but both have a % of people with little or no response. Just far fewer with vaccines.
That's the same study quoted in the article above with 72 participants. I'll have a dig later and maybe somebody like @jojojo or @Pogue Mahone know much more, but 25% seems suspect to me.

@ManchesterYoda suspects he might have caught it. It looks like it could have made him really fecking stupid. Those are the symptoms he is currently exhibiting.
Strongly suspect that was an existing comorbidity.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's the same study quoted in the article above with 72 participants. I'll have a dig later and maybe somebody like @jojojo or @Pogue Mahone know much more, but 25% seems suspect to me.
Small sample size agreed. Immunity from infection is also always more highly variable than vaccination so I suspect there will be a wide range of figures out there.

diarm

Pubs in Ireland closing @ 8pm now. You'd feel for the workers impacted by it but it's unfortunately necessary. Our health system is too shit to deal with the inevitable surge.
€40bn spent on lockdowns, curfews and subsidies - while 3/4 years into a pandemic and we have a bare handful more ICU beds than we had before it.

It's not necessary. Is fecking negligence.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What I never understand about this opinion.

What is the motive? If it was all bullshit what is in it for countries governments shutting down businesses and severely damaging the economy of the country they govern? Why would they have spend huge numbers on full time staff and premises doing the tests, vaccinating and all other jobs surrounding COVID?

I just can never work out why there is such suspicions?

Balljy

€40bn spent on lockdowns, curfews and subsidies - while 3/4 years into a pandemic and we have a bare handful more ICU beds than we had before it.

I know it seems that long but somehow it's less than 2 years still since the start of all this.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

Strongly suspect that was an existing comorbidity.
Post what you find here, in all honesty my reading of various articles on it was cursory so a better understanding would be good.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03470-x

Cuba’s bet on home-grown COVID vaccines is paying off

Preprint data show that a three-dose combo of Soberana jabs has 92.4% efficacy in clinical trials.

Their vaccination rates took off at the end of September, this is quite an impressive performance from the vaccine. Hopefully it can do something vs Omicron too.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

Look it’s Ireland they couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery, there is plans for a new hospital in cork they are still deciding where to put it one Idea is out in curraheen near the dog track, where they would have to buy the land it’s the south side so not fecking cheap, another plan is to build it by glanmire they own around 90 acres of land currently partially being used as a mental hospital and a pitch and putt area, where do ya think they want to build it in the fecking south side which has all the hospitals in cork city already. Nothing makes sense when it comes to Ireland and rational thinking.

Last edited:
Neil Ferguson reported as saying omicron could result in 5000 daily deaths. Probably the best thing we’ve all heard and best sign that Omicron will actually be less fatal then previous variants.

But seriously this guy to me is just the opposite extreme of 5G blaming anti vaxxers. He’s also more dangerous because
every wildly exaggerated prediction that he makes undermines the severity of the pandemic and can turn people into doubters or even anti vaxxers.

5000 daily deaths. If Omicron was likely to do that at a rate of daily infection that’s realistic we’d already be seeing an increase in hospitalisations and deaths.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

You can’t fix a totally fecked health service in less than two years. They have actually increased ICU capacity by 30%. The problem is the past 25 years of negligence by FFG.

apparently the biggest problem is a lack of doctors and nurses even if they wanted to add more beds. You can’t buy those short term, sadly.

diarm

You can’t fix a totally fecked health service in less than two years. They have actually increased ICU capacity by 30%. The problem is the past 25 years of negligence by FFG.

apparently the biggest problem is a lack of doctors and nurses even if they wanted to add more beds. You can’t buy those short term, sadly.
They have 42 more ICU beds than they had at the beginning. We now have 300 so that is an increase of a little over 16%.

The lack of doctors and nurses stems from not paying them properly. Nobody is ever going to convince me that we couldn't have had half as much lockdown and used half of that €40bn to either retrain or recruit more doctors and nurses for ICU's.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They have 42 more ICU beds than they had at the beginning. We now have 300 so that is an increase of a little over 16%.

The lack of doctors and nurses stems from not paying them properly. Nobody is ever going to convince me that we couldn't have had half as much lockdown and used half of that €40bn to either retrain or recruit more doctors and nurses for ICU's.
Of course, but it's not that simple. There were obviously no easy wins. You can't just decide "I'm going to spend 8bn on more doctors and nurses instead of a 5 month lockdown". I think the government made a balls of a lot of their decisions with lockdowns, especially keeping us locked down over the summer instead of letting us enjoy it, but the HSE problems are much more long term than short term. It also doesn't really matter, countries with far better health services than us (Netherlands, Germany) have been imposing tougher restrictions over Xmas anyway.

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Of course, but it's not that simple. There were obviously no easy wins. You can't just decide "I'm going to spend 8bn on more doctors and nurses instead of a 5 month lockdown". I think the government made a balls of a lot of their decisions with lockdowns, especially keeping us locked down over the summer instead of letting us enjoy it, but the HSE problems are much more short term than long term. It also doesn't really matter, countries with far better health services than us (Netherlands, Germany) have been imposing tougher restrictions over Xmas anyway.
They should of let us have some level of normality in the summer and that is why after all the year it feels like we are back at square 1, there is a lack of doctors everywhere, even a local surgery, which is not my one has been calling NZ to try and get GP’s

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I question everything.

The reason I'm concerned is 5 million (and likely far far more) excess deaths (even with flu deaths way down) with more to come until we vaccinate/boost the world. The reason I'd get tested when neccesary and wear a mask when distancing isn't possible and get vaxxed and then boostered is that it is the sensible and moral thing to do based on the evidence and best medical advice.