5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Doing a solid job for the team. Given how god awful the midfield was structure wise away to Spurs and Newcastle McTominay has helped stabilize that area. Not going to do anything particularly eye catching yet but his workrate, discipline and efficient use of the ball has made him valuable.

Fergie used to put guys like Phil Neville in midfield for big games for many of the same qualities, remember Pip destroying Vieira? Gives Pogba a little more freedom, and insures against those moments when he switches off.

Amazingly our defenders don't look half bad when they have a semi functioning midfield ahead of them.

Robbie Boy

Doing a solid job for the team. Given how god awful the midfield was structure wise away to Spurs and Newcastle McTominay has helped stabilize that area. Not going to do anything particularly eye catching yet but his workrate, discipline and efficient use of the ball has made him valuable.

Fergie used to put guys like Phil Neville in midfield for big games for many of the same qualities, remember Pip destroying Vieira? Gives Pogba a little more freedom, and insures against those moments when he switches off.

Amazingly our defenders don't look half bad when they have a semi functioning midfield ahead of them.
:drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Anyone else has a young Fletcher vibe with him? He is bad at nothing, great at nothing but you can feel that he could become a very serviceable player down the line.

Parma Dewol

Still need to catch up on the highlights but I was keeping an eye on him for most of the game yesterday and thought he did a terrific job. He also finished the game on our side of the pitch and his reaction at full time was priceless - was clear to see that it meant everything to him.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I still love seeing youngsters come through at United to perform on the big stage. McTominay still has a long, long way to go, but what a promising start. Fully deserves his place in the squad right now.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Yes, i remember Fletcher was earmarked as Beckham's replacement when he left for Madrid and there were glowing reviews about him in the youth team.
He was a stand out performer that youth level. To the point most were surprised he didn't win the Jimmy Murphy award.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone else has a young Fletcher vibe with him? He is bad at nothing, great at nothing but you can feel that he could become a very serviceable player down the line.
Fletcher and Dier. That's the player I remember when watching him play.

Hopefully he will reach Fletcher's level, will be good addition to the squad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our academy deserves lot of credit which we haven't got.

In the last 2-3 years we have added Rashford, Lingard, McTominay to the squad and not just as fringe players but as a proper squad players and first team players.

Then we have players like Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah who will be part of the squad next season.

Also McTominay was such an unexpected promotion. This season he was trusted to play against Benfica away, Sevilla away in Round of 16 away game.

In PL, he started against Chelsea.

Injuries played part too but Jose could have taken other easier options than trusting young CM. Credit to both Jose and the player.

jb8521

What was outstanding about him? was it his Pogba like passing or supreme technical ability in close quarters like Ravel? I think you'll find that at youth level he didn't hold a candle to either player and he was just a young prospect unlike the two I mentioned who were both much bigger prospects than Fletcher at the same age. Fergie said alot of things in the past and I'm still waiting for Phil Jones to transform into the next Duncan Edwards..
Fletcher was rated by the academy staff and Fergie as the biggest talent to come through since the class of 92. We had a massive battle to sign him when he was moving down from Scotland because every team in England and a few foreign teams wanted to sign him. He was training with the first team while he was an u16 and would have played for the first team at 16 if the rules allowed it and was controlling games in underage football. He got a couple of injuries which set him back a bit and wasn't as physically developed at the same age as some other players but his leadership on the pitch & technique were always spot on and he was a far more mature player at the same age as Pogba & Morrison. He wasn't a highlights player like they were but to claim he didn't hold a candle to them is wrong. Some of Fletchers poor early performances in the first team seem to make some people believe he developed really quickly when he started playing well but in reality he just began to show the type of performances which he had been giving in the underage that got him there in the first place.

Last edited:

haram

Our academy deserves lot of credit which we haven't got.

In the last 2-3 years we have added Rashford, Lingard, McTominay to the squad and not just as fringe players but as a proper squad players and first team players.

Then we have players like Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah who will be part of the squad next season.

Also McTominay was such an unexpected promotion. This season he was trusted to play against Benfica away, Sevilla away in Round of 16 away game.

In PL, he started against Chelsea.

Injuries played part too but Jose could have taken other easier options than trusting young CM. Credit to both Jose and the player.
Yeah, Blind and Carrick are still about. Blind is pretty much done here.

Bobski

Fletcher was rated by the academy staff and Fergie as the biggest talent to come through since the class of 92. We had a massive battle to sign him when he was moving down from Scotland because every team in England and a few foreign teams wanted to sign him. He would have played for the first team at 16 if the rules allowed it and was controlling games in underage football. He got a couple of injuries which set him back a bit and wasn't as physically developed at the same age as some other players but his leadership on the pitch & technique were always spot on and he was a far more mature player at the same age as Pogba & Morrison. He wasn't a highlights player like they were but to claim he didn't hold a candle to them is wrong. Some of Fletchers poor early performances in the first team seem to make some people believe he developed really quickly when he started playing well but in reality he just began to show the type of performances which he had been giving in the underage that got him there in the first place.
He was a big game player as well, his temperament allowed him to handle the pressure.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fletcher was rated by the academy staff and Fergie as the biggest talent to come through since the class of 92. We had a massive battle to sign him when he was moving down from Scotland because every team in England and a few foreign teams wanted to sign him. He would have played for the first team at 16 if the rules allowed it and was controlling games in underage football. He got a couple of injuries which set him back a bit and wasn't as physically developed at the same age as some other players but his leadership on the pitch & technique were always spot on and he was a far more mature player at the same age as Pogba & Morrison. He wasn't a highlights player like they were but to claim he didn't hold a candle to them is wrong. Some of Fletchers poor early performances in the first team seem to make some people believe he developed really quickly when he started playing well but in reality he just began to show the type of performances which he had been giving in the underage that got him there in the first place.
Fletcher also played out wide when first coming through that really never suited his skill set.

Biji.Kelot

Tidy player is often not appreciated by fans. Fancy trick, glorious pass, full flight dribble or canon ball shot are more interesting in fans eyes. So it is natural that fans see McTominay as nothing special player.

He reminds me of Busquet. Nothing special in overall personal skill but without him there will be no smooth play.

Hope he can be better player in the future years.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Not his biggest fan but he had a really good game I must say, his best in our shirt, so long may it continue. McTominay might become Fletcher in a sense that he will just give his everything to reach or outreach his potential. If McTominay works hard, plays a lot and stay injury free you never know, so far I think he could be a a good squad option used instead of Fellaini but would like him to be even more aggressive in the tackle and start winning more headers because we need a player like this.

The only concern is his passing, his range seems good to me and short passing okay but he's too inconsistent but hopefully he can iron it out

Also position wise he will be more Matic than Fletcher but which is only good if we have a natural replacement, also I think Carrick should take him as his personal project and make the most of him when he finishes his palying career at the end of the season or even now..

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fletcher also played out wide when first coming through that really never suited his skill set.
He was slagged off for about 2 seasons by United fans because of him playing on the right. I can't remember when that was, I might have been on the 606 board at that point (that place was dire). :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've voted him as our player of the month, but my criteria for doing so is how good did a player play compared to what can be expected. In that sense, he's miles ahead of everyone else. I do think Matic has had a pretty heroic effort lately given the amount of games he's played and Romelu is getting his act together.

Not sure it's time yet to think he's bad at nothing and great at nothing. The kid has a first class mentality and is a dream for Jose as he can be moulded. Losing his man yesterday didn't make him crumble, he stepped up. When over half our team displays that kind of mentality (which was largely why Ander was so good last season) we perform and beat teams.

Started out as a 6/10 performer, up to 6.5/10. And he'll continue to improve.

Sylar

That pass to Lukaku for our winner was beautifully weighted. If he keeps doing that, Lukaku will continue to make the runs for him and it will help the team overall as its a great outlet to turn a move into attack.
Think we will see it more with more games , more confidence etc.

Jeffthered

It's just great to see young players coming through and affecting games at OT. Rashford, McTominay deserve all the credit they get, as do the youth team managers and backroom staff. Let's just hope he enjoys his game time. I would love to see a few more given a run out before end of the season.

Rashford, Lindgard, McTominay, Pogba, Fosu-Mensah... it's brilliant to see these players who have come through a youth system battling to play for United. Be wonderful if we can retain and develop them.

Hughes35

Really like this lad, had never seen him before this season but he fits right in for me. His height is mentioned a lot but to be honest I've been more impressed by his touch, awareness and control. Always seems to be in right place, touch is always good and his passing is very crisp. In the long term hopefully we will see some slightly more expansive passes but for now he's really doing well.

Doesn't look out of place at all. If you'd never watched Utd before, you'd never highlight him as a youth player just stepping up and that is a massive compliment.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What was outstanding about him? was it his Pogba like passing or supreme technical ability in close quarters like Ravel? I think you'll find that at youth level he didn't hold a candle to either player and he was just a young prospect unlike the two I mentioned who were both much bigger prospects than Fletcher at the same age. Fergie said alot of things in the past and I'm still waiting for Phil Jones to transform into the next Duncan Edwards..
Many of the best players aren't outstanding at anything material. It's all the intangibles such as teamwork, anticipation, decision making, determination, etc. that make them. Technical ability and physical attributes are nothing without the right mental capacity to make use of them.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was slagged off for about 2 seasons by United fans because of him playing on the right. I can't remember when that was, I might have been on the 606 board at that point (that place was dire). :lol:
I remember well a turning point was the goal v Chelsea at OT funny enough when we won 1-0 being like 3/1 underdogs at OT.

Fridge chutney

Most are saying he looks ok, so not sure why you think the majority are writing him off. There's mental hyperbole on both a positive and negative perspective in here, but that's par for the course with the Caf.
That's true now, but not the case several pages back after we hit some adversity in results.

shield

He 21 years old and has played in two of our biggest matches this season and never really out of place. That is really unbelievable. It is obvious that his biggest strength is his mentality, which will get even stronger in the coming years. He may be limited, but, for our team at the moment, he fits in perfectly, helping Matic out and allowing Poga to occupy a more attacking position.

He also uses his body better than Pogba and because of his size, offers some much needed solidity. His on the ball skills are also decent and he may have more in his locker but as of now, he seems a little limited in this department and that is what is keeping us from getting truly excited about thim.

We will definitely go out and try to get another top midfielder but I am glad Mourinho has discovered McTominay as a valuable option because he does improve our midfield.

Hojoon

Same, although I'm hopeful he can develop one or two great qualities. When you grow 10 inches in 18 months like him your style has to change so he's still in the early stages of his development.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Fletcher and Dier. That's the player I remember when watching him play.

Hopefully he will reach Fletcher's level, will be good addition to the squad.
Yeah the Dier similarities are glaring; considering Jose spent last summer pursuing him, it’s not surprising that McTominay has been drafted into the first 11.

He’s Matic’s apprentice and could eventually succeed him. I’d still buy Lewis Cook as well; you can never have too much talent in that midfield area.

Robbie Boy

Yeah the Dier similarities are glaring; considering Jose spent last summer pursuing him, it’s not surprising that McTominay has been drafted into the first 11.

He’s Matic’s apprentice and could eventually succeed him. I’d still buy Lewis Cook as well; you can never have too much talent in that midfield area.
I see this lads name floated around quite a-bit, but I feel he's below the standard required and also, he'll cost a pretty penny. He found it hard to break into the Bournemouth team and has only really become a starter this season. I think it's best for him staying put for another couple of seasons to really establish himself. He's young and has potential, but right now, he's not good enough for a top team.

Fridge chutney

All par for the course. The OTT praise is equally as tedious.
As I pointed out to another poster, I agree that both sides of the hyperbole spectrum are misguided.

However I disagree on tedium levels. "He's shit" and "nothing player" comments are much more tedious than people being optimistic about the player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fletcher was rated by the academy staff and Fergie as the biggest talent to come through since the class of 92. We had a massive battle to sign him when he was moving down from Scotland because every team in England and a few foreign teams wanted to sign him. He was training with the first team while he was an u16 and would have played for the first team at 16 if the rules allowed it and was controlling games in underage football. He got a couple of injuries which set him back a bit and wasn't as physically developed at the same age as some other players but his leadership on the pitch & technique were always spot on and he was a far more mature player at the same age as Pogba & Morrison. He wasn't a highlights player like they were but to claim he didn't hold a candle to them is wrong. Some of Fletchers poor early performances in the first team seem to make some people believe he developed really quickly when he started playing well but in reality he just began to show the type of performances which he had been giving in the underage that got him there in the first place.
He was definitely a prospect without a shadow of a doubt but he was never someone who had 'obvious' ability like say a Ravel or Pogba who I place as being hot prospects. Even Giuseppe Rossi imo was a bigger talent who almost joined Barca later in his career only for injury to stop that from happening...

Fletcher was best off the ball and on the ball he was reminiscent to many young hopefuls trying to make the grade. His qualities were never imo as obvious as the players I've mentioned. It was a testament to his hard work and tough mental state that he forged a very good career with us and became a very good player for us. @JPRouve pretty much nails it when he says, "He is bad at nothing, great at nothing" when he makes the the McTominay comparison imo..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Many of the best players aren't outstanding at anything material. It's all the intangibles such as teamwork, anticipation, decision making, determination, etc. that make them. Technical ability and physical attributes are nothing without the right mental capacity to make use of them.
I don't disagree with that..

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
Really impressed with his maturity at such a young age, few mistakes here and there but overall very well played, im really wondering what will happen to him next season or even once Herrera is back fit again, will he go back to the bench and in rotation or will still be considered a starter? Specially next season if a new CM comes in, most likely he will get playing time but will he be a starter?

Robbie Boy

As I pointed out to another poster, I agree that both sides of the hyperbole spectrum are misguided.

However I disagree on tedium levels. "He's shit" and "nothing player" comments are much more tedious than people being optimistic about the player.
Nope, to me, people calling him our new Roy Keane etc are equally as bad. Different strokes and all that. Balanced views are always best: I would rather someone say that he grew into the game yesterday after a bad mistake rather than saying he was fantastic. I much rather an honest assessment than people point scoring by going completely OTT because he's from our academy.

jb8521

He was definitely a prospect without a shadow of a doubt but he was never someone who had 'obvious' ability like say a Ravel or Pogba who I place as being hot prospects. Even Giuseppe Rossi imo was a bigger talent who almost joined Barca later in his career only for injury to stop that from happening...

Fletcher was best off the ball and on the ball he was reminiscent to many young hopefuls trying to make the grade. His qualities were never imo as obvious as the players I've mentioned. It was a testament to his hard work and tough mental state that he forged a very good career with us and became a very good player for us. @JPRouve pretty much nails it when he says, "He is bad at nothing, great at nothing" when he makes the the McTominay comparison imo..
With the players you've mentioned Pogba, Morrison, Gomes & Chong it seems like you're talking about flair as much as their actual influence on the game. If you watched him at around 16/17 Fletcher's ability was just as obvious in his ability to control the game against older opponents and his passing ability and I think you're underrating just how good he was on the ball because he also did so much off the ball work. He wasn't a highlights type of player but if you actually watched him specifically his talent stood out just as much but in a more understated way and he usually had more touches than anyone else on the field. Its a bit similar to how Garner has been in the u18s recently where others might show more flair & look better in highlight reels but he's arguably the most important player in the team because of his maturity and understanding of the game which helps the players around him perform better.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With the players you've mentioned Pogba, Morrison, Gomes & Chong it seems like you're talking about flair as much as their actual influence on the game. If you watched him at around 16/17 Fletcher's ability was just as obvious in his ability to control the game against older opponents and his passing ability and I think you're underrating just how good he was on the ball because he also did so much off the ball work. He wasn't a highlights type of player but if you actually watched him specifically his talent stood out just as much but in a more understated way and he usually had more touches than anyone else on the field. Its a bit similar to how Garner has been in the u18s recently where others might show more flair & look better in highlight reels but he's arguably the most important player in the team because of his maturity and understanding of the game which helps the players around him perform better.
You're probably right mate, I just gave my opinion on what I thought off him at the time and glad I was proven wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.