Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

My bad, it was Ancelloti I think.

I think you are being obtuse if you flat out refuse to accept that his break is due to a lack of options. I think most people would agree that he started against Sevilla due to Fellani's injury and Mou's conflict with Pogba and then retained his place due to Hererra getting injured against Sevilla.
If we needed a body in midfield we would call on players who are rated higher. This guy was literally picked up from obscurity. Even regular viewers of our youth games didn’t expect him to be called up

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If we needed a body in midfield we would call on players who are rated higher. This guy was literally picked up from obscurity. Even regular viewers of our youth games didn’t expect him to be called up
What higher rated players? There hasn't been a decent CM expected to be called up in a few years.

Robbie Boy

Seriously? From who?

We've seen so far an intelligent midfielder that may or may not have a decent future, nothing more, nothing less.
Have a gander at the thread. I'm seeing some ridiculous overrating and slagging him off in equal measure. People are entitled not to rate him. Personally, I think he's done well and he's certainly exceeded my expectations of him. No idea what the future holds for him if we pick up some midfielders over the summer.

Classical Mechanic

I take it you don't watch the youth sides because there are no other options. Ethan Hamilton is the next best option and he's a couple of years younger than Scott. The other options are fairly terrible.

cyberman

Fair play and good to see.
Ireland have the same problem with Rice from West Ham, hopefully he follows suit.

Number1

It's not a good choice, it's a poor choice, one I'm sure he'll go on to regret during and at the end of his career when he doesn't get to play in a major international tournament.

Nick7

It's not a good choice, it's a poor choice, one I'm sure he'll go on to regret during and at the end of his career when he doesn't get to play in a major international tournament.
That's not the be all and end all of an international career. He won't regret playing for the country he wants to play for.

Number1

Good call for him and good for scotland to keep hold of him
'Keep' hold of him? Did Scotland have him first place? He wasn't born in Scotland, doesn't sound Scottish when he talks and what as Scotland contributed to Scott McTominay 'the footballer' or 'man' for that matter?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I honestly believe that he could have been in contention for a World Cup place this summer.

England’s midfield options are piss poor and he is incredibly disciplined for such a young player.

Number1

That's not the be all and end all of an international career. He won't regret playing for the country he wants to play for.
I disagree, playing at a World Cup is one of the major highlights of any player's career. I'm sure Giggs (never played in a major international tournament) has regrets choosing Wales over England deep down.

Nick7

I disagree, playing at a World Cup is one of the major highlights of any player's career. I'm sure Giggs (never played in a major international tournament) has regrets choosing Wales over England deep down.
I'm sure Giggs would have rathered play for Wales at a world cup than England.

Number1

I'm sure Giggs would have rathered play for Wales at a world cup than England.
Who knows, but a world class player like Giggs may have not only took part in one, but may have made an actual difference and England could have gone on to win something, especially Euro96.

Web of Bissaka

Best performance thread for this season?

It's been a while seeing two very contrasting support and evaluation of our players, usually it's one sided and others not so much contest.

The highly over rating of Scott is funny though, really that much? The doubts are fair, while the too much criticism of him are common, and it takes more times for some to be able to see his worth anyway, like always with this kind of players. I have to agree that playing for a top team, McTominay have to do more though, as he did against Chelsea and the small flashes during previous CL game. He should rightly be criticized if failure to do so next games and next season. Still, upward curve, promising signs, exciting youth player.

:D Still loving it that long forward pass to Lukaku, and his several one-twos combo (forward passes) with Valencia, against Chelsea.

About 13+ games left remaining for us to see him perform more. Notable big games as another ones for his test are against Liverpool, MCity, FA Cup game(s) and CL against higher level team(s).

Cliche Guevara

'Keep' hold of him? Did Scotland have him first place? He wasn't born in Scotland, doesn't sound Scottish when he talks and what as Scotland contributed to Scott McTominay 'the footballer' or 'man' for that matter?
Semen.

In any event, brilliant player who will light up many a World Cup finals to come.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I honestly believe that he could have been in contention for a World Cup place this summer.

England’s midfield options are piss poor and he is incredibly disciplined for such a young player.
Don't think so, I really like McTominay but even if he was selected he wouldn't add anything major to the squad. It's the McTominay type of midfielder that England has an abundance of. Grafters that are fairly defensively dependable i.e. Dier, Henderson, Livermore etc.

It's more of a penetrating, creative player (not only just in midfield) that we're really missing. Paul Scholes is the only one in a long time that had these qualities and he was neglected, the current England side not even fit to lace his boots. Same for Carrick.

Roboc7

He has made right decision, will get games for Scotland even if he ends up in the championship. Januzaj and Grearlish are examples of players who made wrong decisions which haven’t helped their careers.

McTominay reminds me of McNair, he looks ok but nothing special and hasn’t been rated that highly, impossible to know whether he will kick on or if this is best he will play for us.

limerickcitykid

He has made right decision, will get games for Scotland even if he ends up in the championship. Januzaj and Grearlish are examples of players who made wrong decisions which haven’t helped their careers.

McTominay reminds me of McNair, he looks ok but nothing special and hasn’t been rated that highly, impossible to know whether he will kick on or if this is best he will play for us.
How did Adnan make the wrong choice? He was just included in Belgiums last squad. Kosovo didn't have a team back then. Who should he have chose?

Jack didn't make a mistake either. He feels both Irish and English. At the end of the day he made his choice because he wanted to play for England more. It's a personal choice and there are no mistakes.

I'd agree with him being McNair type level.

Classical Mechanic

The wrong decisions those two players make are only to their application as professionals. Both have the talent to play for England and Belgium but are not getting the best out of themselves.

Ivor Ballokov

Giggs didn't choose, he wasn't eligible for England.

Giggs annoyed by England talk
By Alex Livie
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am

RYAN GIGGS has hit out at the critics who say he should have chosen England over Wales, with the wing wizard insisting he could not have pulled on a Three Lions shirt even if he had wanted to.
The Manchester United flyer played for England as a schoolboy, but insists he could not have turned out in a full international.

Giggs will get the chance to showcase his talents on the international stage when Wales take on Italy in Cardiff on Wednesday.

Many claim Giggs could have been the difference between England winning rather than falling short at major tournaments, but he says this would have been impossible.

He said: "I'd rather go through my entire career without qualifying for a major championship than play for a country where I wasn't born. That's just stupid.

"The problem arose because I played for England schoolboys. But that was because I went to school in England and that was the criteria for selection, not where you were born.

"What has bugged me more than anything in my career is to keep on hearing people say I chose to play for Wales. I still hear it, people discussing it on the radio even now, it's very, very annoying for me.

"It's the question that has bugged me most for the last 10 years or so. I am Welsh, 100 percent. End of story. Both my parents and all my grandparents are Welsh.

"It's as simple as that, it's impossible for me to play for England."
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/2247435/giggs-annoyed-by-england-talk

Andersons Dietician

Excellent, add him to the list of young promising Scottish talent. Now if only Ryan Gauld could get to some sort of level that reflects the 50million buy out clause on him and Scotland should be looking pretty decent.

Crystal Palace 2:3 Man Utd

Based Adnan

Don't think he was worse than any others in the first half. Needed an extra attacker to come on and him being on a yellow meant it was always going to be him coming off.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Another terrible showing from him. There seems to be a lot of hype building around him simply because he’s there.

el3mel

Poor today and rightly subbed off. Will give him a pass as young players will never show much consistency imo.

Bojan11

Herrera needs to come back for Liverpool. As I don’t think McTominay is ready for that sort of match.

limerickcitykid

Another game where he is at the bottom of the list for touches and passes. He just doesn't really do anything. Nothing bad, nothing good. That just isn't good enough though.

Looked lost at times but relates to Pogba pulling some fake LB routine for some bizarre reason which meant Scott had to go further forward. Was lost when he did though and didn't even attempt to get involved on the ball.

Roboc7

The whole team were awful in first half but his lack of ability on the ball meant he had to come off. It’s early days but I still don’t really see anything’s by to suggest he has a long term future here in terms of playing regularly.

Georgan

Another game where he is at the bottom of the list for touches and passes. He just doesn't really do anything. Nothing bad, nothing good. That just isn't good enough though.

Looked lost at times but relates to Pogba pulling some fake LB routine for some bizarre reason which meant Scott had to go further forward. Was lost when he did though and didn't even attempt to get involved on the ball.
This is exactly how I feel about this guy, we're playing with someone in the starting XI that offers literally nothing. Credit where its due, he had a good game against Chelsea man marking Hazard but on every game I've seen him play, he offers absolutely nothing. He's even clumsy and can't time his tackles well.

Irrational.

Sadly exposed a bit today. He needs to be on the bench on Saturday, needs time to grow and develop with appearances here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.