Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well yes we are capable of knowing as he has a whole youth career. If he wasn't capable of things at youth level then it's fair to think he won't be capable of it at senior level either.
Was Harry Kane scoring from all possible angles at youth level?

Was Ronaldo scoring shit loads of goals and from 30-35 yards when he was young player?

Coutinho's shot was so weak even when he was playing for Inter but when he left Liverpool he had a lethal shot.

So yeah, players can and will develop after leaving youth football.

devips

Was Ronaldo scoring shit loads of goals and from 30-35 yards when he was young player?

Coutinho's shot was so weak even when he was playing for Inter but when he left Liverpool he had a lethal shot.

You talk too much sense.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Harry Kane was a top youth player with a fantastic scoring record so yes he was.

Where have I said players can't develop? Nowhere. No shit he is going to develop. Its nonsensical to say we have no idea what he is capable of though. We can clearly watch and see what his attributes are and what positions/style of play he excels and thrives in. He hasn't just started playing football. We can tell and so can Mourinho and that is why Mourinho will use him in a way to utilize his capabilities.

roonster09

Scout
Harry Kane was a top youth player with a fantastic scoring record so yes he was.

Where have I said players can't develop? Nowhere. No shit he is going to develop. Its nonsensical to say we have no idea what he is capable of though. We can clearly watch and see what his attributes are and what positions/style of play he excels and thrives in. He hasn't just started playing football. We can tell and so can Mourinho and that is why Mourinho will use him in a way to utilize his capabilities.
Oh so Kane's shooting was always so good? Was his dribbling and use of physical strength also as good? No wonder he was warming bench in championship teams. McTominay won't be as good but to say "Well yes we are capable of knowing as he has a whole youth career." is just wrong. I have given few examples too how players have added something to their game and made them even more dangerous players.

limerickcitykid

Oh so Kane's shooting was always so good? Was his dribbling and use of physical strength also as good? No wonder he was warming bench in championship teams. McTominay won't be as good but to say "Well yes we are capable of knowing as he has a whole youth career." is just wrong. I have given few examples too how players have added something to their game and made them even more dangerous players.
Once again, where have I said McTominay won't get better?

That's not even close to what I've said.

roonster09

Scout
Once again, where have I said McTominay won't get better?

That's not even close to what I've said.
Well yes we are capable of knowing as he has a whole youth career. If he wasn't capable of things at youth level then it's fair to think he won't be capable of it at senior level either.
So what do you mean by this? If a player is not capable of something in youth career then he can't do it for senior team?

limerickcitykid

So what do you mean by this? If a player is not capable of something in youth career then he can't do it for senior team?
We know a players strengths and weaknesses. We know the type of player he is. We are capable of seeing this. Rarely do they wildly change. Sometimes they do of course. But we can quite clearly make judgements on his skillset as there is literal footage of him playing. We have seen him show strengths in certain attributes, we can look and see he is capable of it. Attributes he has never shown an ability of then we can see he isn't capable or struggles with it or it doesn't suit his style.

Rashford is still young and will develop. Is there no way possible to judge what he is capable of? Of course there is a way to. Is he going to continue to develop? Of course. It doesn't mean there is absolutely no way to judge what attributes and styles he is capable of.

So there is always a way to judge capabilities when there is literal footage of gameplay. If there is no way to ever know because they can still develop then we may as well just stop discussing performances and ability because they are still developing.

haram

Is it hard to understand that McTominay came into the first team under a special circumstance, and was instructed by his manager to play in a certain kind of way? Nothing more, nothing less. A greenhorn, playing before large crowds and donning the jersey of a big, big club, was not daunted by the occasion and carried his manager's instructions to a T. We don't know, nor do we have any way of knowing, if he is capable of more. That test will come. If he is found wanting then, he will fade away, like scores of others before him.

Until then, give him some breathing space. Laud him for what he has done, and wait for better things to happen. Jump on him when he becomes a regular trooper, benching others more deserving of the spot, and plays badly.

Those zombie critics above, are they United supporters? I sometimes wonder.
These people have no patience or perspective at all.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You would think that Lingard would have taught people a lesson about player development.

The most pointless thing to discuss is McTominay's youth development, because he grew a considerable amount just before he got into the first team!

McTominay has taken a lot of beatings, he is a physically tough player. No one would have thought this from his youth development because he was a small player.

Trizy

I think there's been too much hype for him, I see nothing special in McTominay, he's a hard working player but don't see him as a game changer now or anytime in the future. But In my opinion is better to have McTominay's than Blinds, Fellaini's, Herrera's and all those other average players we have bought.
Agreed. I said something similar and people agreed a month or two ago. Then more recently I echoed the point and got slated.

People love to overrate our local players on this forum. Rashford being another one.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Agreed. I said something similar and people agreed a month or two ago. Then more recently I echoed the point and got slated.

People love to overrate our local players on this forum. Rashford being another one.
I think we over rated Rashford after that incredible start and who wouldn't? His break through season is a rarity in football. Since then, we've all brought our expectations down a little but still expect to be, at the very least, a top player.

With Scott, no one is hyping him. I don't think anyone here thinks that he'll become a world beater in the CM position (no that he can't), we all recognise and appreciate the ease at which he has become accustomed to first team football at United. I don't see anyone over rating or hyping him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We know a players strengths and weaknesses. We know the type of player he is. We are capable of seeing this. Rarely do they wildly change. Sometimes they do of course. But we can quite clearly make judgements on his skillset as there is literal footage of him playing. We have seen him show strengths in certain attributes, we can look and see he is capable of it. Attributes he has never shown an ability of then we can see he isn't capable or struggles with it or it doesn't suit his style.

Rashford is still young and will develop. Is there no way possible to judge what he is capable of? Of course there is a way to. Is he going to continue to develop? Of course. It doesn't mean there is absolutely no way to judge what attributes and styles he is capable of.

So there is always a way to judge capabilities when there is literal footage of gameplay. If there is no way to ever know because they can still develop then we may as well just stop discussing performances and ability because they are still developing.
There’s a big difference between discussing current/past performances and ability and making accurate predictions about future potential of players so young that they have only just stopped growing.

For example, people on redcafe are generally reasonably competent at the former but generally reasonably shite at the latter. We just need to dig through assorted reserve/youth team threads to find a tonne of evidence of this sort of incompetence.

RedorDead21

I'd be damn proud of a youngster that came through and if he was Fellaini.....I like him, like what he brings....like how he tried to change opinions unlike some so called "superior players".....nailed on first teamer no but a very capable bench man with a strong personality.

Bwuk

He played ok vs Costa Rica, kept things tidy and moving.

Scotland had a very strange line up though. McLeish resorted to knocking long balls to Paterson to head on from wide.

Would like to see McTominay play behind Armstrong and McGregor/McGinn

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@limerickcitykid
He played a lot of his youth football as a forward so why are we even talking about this?

The lad has had a handful of first team games, after lots of niggly injury problems due to his late growth. At the moment he’s doing exactly what the coach is asking him to do. Why don’t we reserve judgement until he’s actually settled and his natural game starts to come through?

As far as progress is concerned he’s maturing nicely on the path to complete b2b

Andersons Dietician

Anyone recall Strachan complaining about genetics and how he didn’t have any tall strapping lads. Just all midgets in Scotland :lol: (or of average height) as soon as he leaves the job McTominay pops up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You would think that Lingard would have taught people a lesson about player development.

The most pointless thing to discuss is McTominay's youth development, because he grew a considerable amount just before he got into the first team!

McTominay has taken a lot of beatings, he is a physically tough player. No one would have thought this from his youth development because he was a small player.
It's never enough apparently. I'm very happy to have these young players from the academy, it gives the club a sense of identity, you can be sure they'll bleed for the club and very often they won't complain when not playing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
In regards to Lingard, I can't speak for other youth watchers, but I was always a fan and was campaigning for him to get a 1st team opportunity. I was delighted when he did, thought he started out really well on the left, and then he kind of flopped consistency wise and I thought he was out of his depth here. Obviously he's proven that wrong but there was always a talent in there which is why I was happy to see him given a chance.

I've never felt that way with McTominay so I don't agree with that comparison. I still think he looks pretty poor as I did when watching him for the U23s. Honestly, I can't think of one youth team player who looked as poor as McTominay did down there that went on to have any sort of success here. Who knows, maybe he'll be the 1st, but I don't see a comparison with Lingard who did look good, imo.

led_scholes

I like him. If we buy a midfielder though and we keep one of Herrera or Fellaini and Pereira, then I would like him to get loaned for a season. He is probably going to have lots of ups and downs the next 3-4 years, so patience is key.

NoPace

Rashford has speed, a healthy goalscoring rate for a 20.5 year old (16 goals in 4K prem minutes) and can absolutely leather a ball. That's a lot of the raw stuff needed to be a really good attacker.

I don't see the same reasons for optimism with McTominay. Size is nice and but nothing else really jumps off the screen with him.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan

Kane was struggling at Norwich which got relegated.

Web of Bissaka

Nice performance, neat and tidy, made forward passes and he smells danger.

We know already he's that good at nicking opponent's attacks, keeping possession, receiving passes from the back and distributing it maturely.
So ignoring most of those...

1:06 ~ Striding forward runs, heavy touch at the end though.
1:54 ~ Nice pass to the RB or RM.
1:59 ~ Mourinho's facial reaction. :lol:
2:14 ~ That very close interception.
3:19 ~ Spotting a runner and mark him tight.
3:33 ~ That "nick save".
4:26 ~ Attacking pass.
4:49 ~ Impressive short contesting run and keeping the ball against 3 opponents. :cool:

Sterling Archer

Rashford has speed, a healthy goalscoring rate for a 20.5 year old (16 goals in 4K prem minutes) and can absolutely leather a ball. That's a lot of the raw stuff needed to be a really good attacker.

I don't see the same reasons for optimism with McTominay. Size is nice and but nothing else really jumps off the screen with him.
Do you take into account Jose coming out and saying he has more in his locker than his role has allowed him?

There have been several moments in games, hard matches at that , where I noticed Scott show some nimble feet and skill to keep possession. Adding to his overall level of composure and I'm quite impressed.

promisedlanchiao

This. McTominay has already shown he is capable of playing football at the highest level at a high level from his performances in the Pool and Chelski games where he and Matic dominated the midfield (and no, having less possession does not mean getting dominated).

I’m sure the lad will further improve as well as he gets more game time and becomes older and more matured.

haram

He played even better than I remembered in this game. Just came across this video now.

Mr Smith

Glad he got a run out today. Firmly believe he should be Matic's deputy (and potential successor) going forward. May be a limited player, but he's one of ours, and he's clearly showing he can hack it at this level.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Believe it or not, the first time I've watched Lingard play, I am impressed and knew he is going to have a good career with us.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
20 appearances for him this season. More than Fellaini, Bailly, Shaw, Blind, Darmian, Rojo.

Bwuk

Believe it or not, the first time I've watched Lingard play, I am impressed and knew he is going to have a good career with us.
Ah yes Lingards brilliant 24 minute cameo debut, as a wing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.