Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I knew beforehand he would be dropped at half-time. Attacking, he's still very much lacking. Using him as third midfielder in games where we have most possession is not an option.

Web of Bissaka

I wouldn't call Scott a runner. And no use if he is aware enough to track the runs anyway. I could also alternatively ask do we need a passive midfielder who doesn't really do much?

Ander would be my first choice if available.
In your eyes he is. Well, let's agree to disagree here, as we have difference of opinion about Scott.

This is a game made for Herrera though, his combative high energy style is like playing fire with fire against Liverpool.
:drool: Last minute surprising well recovery?

Enigma_87

You know who
Like him as a player, but he was crap last night. Offered nothing going forward.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
In your eyes he is. Well, let's agree to disagree here, as we have difference of opinion about Scott.

This is a game made for Herrera though, his combative high energy style is like playing fire with fire against Liverpool.
:drool: Last minute surprising well recovery?
In my eyes and backed by stats. He offers just about nothing most of the time.

Denis79

Imo the main thing is that we don't start beating him down now. As you said young players have their ups and downs but we have to trust them to some extend to come good if the talent is clearly there. If we don't do it we can just give up on youth development entirely.
I think he's shown alot of maturity on the pitch despite his age, if he continues in this fashion he could become a good player for us. Just hope he has the mentality to handle bad games and push through them and learn because there will be plenty of them for him as for any other player.

sugar_kane

He's only playing right now because Fellaini and Herrera are both injured. Even if we lose Fellaini he won't get many minutes next season as we're almost guaranteed to either have Pereira back or sign another midfielder. Fine back up though.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't think he was diabolical, he was the one to be hooked so we could change our shape so he was always going to get more stick than our other midfielders.
He looked like a deer in the headlights throughout.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not his best game last night but young players like him will have frequent ups and downs. Hope ihe didn't lose confidence because of it.
Whatever his ‘ups’ are haven’t been anything noteworthy either. I can’t say I’ve seen him play above average for the first team yet, and I’ve seen him below it.

EwanI Ted

Poor one last night, but come on, he has, what, 11 starts in his entire senior career? I'm sure we can manage more patience with the young lad than that.

An Irish Red

His performance at Chelsea was dramatically overrated; he was the least involved of our midfielders and was nothing more than 'acceptable' on the day.

I don't know where the confidence in him comes from. He hasn't shown anything that would suggest that he's good enough for us.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
His performance at Chelsea was dramatically overrated; he was the least involved of our midfielders and was nothing more than 'acceptable' on the day.

I don't know where the confidence in him comes from. He hasn't shown anything that would suggest that he's good enough for us.
I mentioned it in his appreciation thread. He is still a youngster that can develop but that Chelsea game was not special

T A

He is Fellaini The Second, what could you expect from him? In Jose's eyes Fellaini is the best in the world, then Scott will exactly be the same, so be careful believing all what Jose said

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Poor one last night, but come on, he has, what, 11 starts in his entire senior career? I'm sure we can manage more patience with the young lad than that.
I wonder how many games fans would give me before deciding I’m not good enough for United.

It’s not young player impatience. Nobody was lobbying for McTominay to get into the first team when he was in the reserves. Probably literally not one poster. That’s because he’s not shown that he’s particularly good or promising.

He’s started 11 games and again, not shown that he is particularly good. Even when he’s not actually screwing things up, he’s not shown to be particularly useful. He was apparently good against Chelsea despite his defensive negligence costing us a goal. I think if Gomes has some slow games in the first team, we wouldn’t all say he’s crap or anything. Scott hasn’t been that good at any level, which is the main difference.

My suspicion is he will be booked inside 20 minutes against Liverpool and under huge pressure if he starts.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I'd rather play Lingard as an no8 next to Pogba or as an "defensive no10 than this guy. He's just not United quality and not sure why everyone got crazy for him, so many other palyers would look good next to 10 established players in the same team, just doing his "job" the problem is when you're United player sou have to show a bit more than that.

He's an average talent and will be lucky to play for Scotland and not end up in the championship eventually

Gbenger

He’s a very limited player. He has no stand out qualities. This is my genuine assessment of him.

I understand that there are probably people who think otherwise because he’s from the academy, but it’s shortsighted. Even most of the genuinely talented and hardworking players won’t ever make it at United. Scott is simply nothing special.

You just know there are those who would soon start saying he’s good enough to be a squad player once they realize he’s not all that.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's done pretty well considering it's his debut year in senior football. Well enough that I'll reserve judgement at least. Doesn't look out of his depth yet hasn't done anything special. Possibly might turn out to be a decent squad man

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I think the point is that he came in and did a job for the team at a time of need and provided his manager with a serviceable option in two big games in which we got creditable enough results. More expansive performances may (or may not) come in future, but he at the very least showed a real level head in coming into pressurised situations. The limited media airtime he has had also show him to appear a very mature young man. Let's see what Jose can do with him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m not buying into the undeserved hype. He’s still a championship level player, the fact he starts recently just shows how poor our depth is in midfield. He will be nothing more than another cleverley.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think the point is that he came in and did a job for the team at a time of need and provided his manager with a serviceable option in two big games in which we got creditable enough results. More expansive performances may (or may not) come in future, but he at the very least showed a real level head in coming into pressurised situations. The limited media airtime he has had also show him to appear a very mature young man. Let's see what Jose can do with him.
It has nothing to do with being expensive. Everyone saying his role is just to be in there and keep it ticking and making comparisons to Carrick and the like. But players who keep it ticking over are meant to be constantly getting on the ball and keeping it moving. Not among the players with the least amount of touches and passes. There have been games where Matic has made twice as many touches and twice as many passes. That is keeping it simple and ticking over. Never touching the ball in the first place isn't keeping it simple, its just doing nothing.

So even this doing a job doesn't really add up at the end of the day. He barely sees any of the ball. He offers nothing in attack. His defensive game is average and doesn't even put in many tackles. He pretty consistently fails to track runners, most blatantly against Chelsea where it led to us conceding. I don't see much of this job he is doing.

He just simply isn't much good. He really hasn't even showed the promise of a McNair let alone a top youth player.

Gbenger

It has nothing to do with being expensive. Everyone saying his role is just to be in there and keep it ticking and making comparisons to Carrick and the like. But players who keep it ticking over are meant to be constantly getting on the ball and keeping it moving. Not among the players with the least amount of touches and passes. There have been games where Matic has made twice as many touches and twice as many passes. That is keeping it simple and ticking over. Never touching the ball in the first place isn't keeping it simple, its just doing nothing.

So even this doing a job doesn't really add up at the end of the day. He barely sees any of the ball. He offers nothing in attack. His defensive game is average and doesn't even put in many tackles. He pretty consistently fails to track runners, most blatantly against Chelsea where it led to us conceding. I don't see much of this job he is doing.

He just simply isn't much good. He really hasn't even showed the promise of a McNair let alone a top youth player.
This exactly.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

He may not amount to anything, but he came in and did a passable job in pressurised situations.

I personally despise a great deal of this current United team - weak mentally and lacking skill. There are certain players earning a fortune and not performing.

In that context, I feel it’s strange to criticise the kid with the ace lid who came in and did a job.

P.s. I see more of Fletcher in his style/impact, if we must make a comparison.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Right now, I see him as Phil Neville type, a player that 'can do the job' but nothing else. The comparison with Fletcher is a bit too soon, as Fletcher was actually a very good player.

Snow Pharaoh

As it has been said, it is really too soon to make a judgement on the kid, but I do think that even for youngsters, there has to be at least one area where you can see a standout ability. For Scott, even though I want to see that ability and wish him to succeed, I simply cannot see that he ever evolves into more than a decent squad player in the mould of Tom Cleverly or Darron Gibson. I think he needs to go on loan next season and prove himself in a full-time role.

MAME DIOUF 32

I'm not convinced he's get in the team at anyone else in the top half. He's shown good mental strength but that's about it imo.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tremendous performance & showed a lot of composure for someone so young.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Giant performance today after Palace on Monday. Tracked, tackled, pass well when under pressure.

NinjaFletch

Huge show off faith in him today given how poor he was at Palace and he's rewarded Mourinho with a brilliant effort.

podurban2

Where are the haters now? ”Don’t see it with him”.

Feck right off you miserable twats, you don’t know shit.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Some much needed legs for Matic in the middle.

Might become the player we had hoped Herrera would become.

Crimson King

Didn't panic at all towards the end there, and was always where he needed to be.

Super impressed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The kid is growing on me. Best performance so far, my MOTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.