Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pereira really must be kicking himself. If he had gotten a similar chance, I think he would have looked like he belonged a bit more, and could have made a proper claim for being a regular.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I hope this tough matches won't kill his confidence. He's being thrown out there in difficult circumstances, in must-win games by Mourinho. The politics of "you sink or swim" doesn't work all the time and even more so when it concerns young players.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Another terrible showing from him. There seems to be a lot of hype building around him simply because he’s there.
Which have been his other terrible performances in your view? I would say this stuck out for me as a bad one for Scott individually, whereas his other iffy displays have come in games where I'd point the finger more at senior players around him like Newcastle and Bristol. I know I'm giving Scott a easier ride because he's a young graduate but I'm genuinely surprised to hear such harsh criticism of him.

Kag

I'd worry about him against Liverpool, although I don't think we can afford to play anybody else in that role.

Walters_19_MuFc

Pereira really must be kicking himself. If he had gotten a similar chance, I think he would have looked like he belonged a bit more, and could have made a proper claim for being a regular.
Pereira had a chance to stay and fight for his place, but wasn't up for the challenge.

izec

He will learn, he needs to if he wants to be part of the squad here. Harsh taking him off at half time, but that is football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Too much for him tonight. He's been good lately but the gulf between him and Herrera was on full display tonight.

Classical Mechanic

I'd worry about him against Liverpool, although I don't think we can afford to play anybody else in that role.
I think we will sit in so he won’t have to do much other than maintain his position in the second bank of four. The type of job Hodgson said he could coach a pub team to do against Man Utd after 6 months of coaching.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I honestly don't see it with him. I'm genuinely not sure what he's good at?

He's a big lamp post that just passes backwards and sideways. He offers nothing going forward, his defensive contribution is "OK" but nothing special...

I think Jose likes him as he's a big beansprout but he just hides in the middle of the pitch and doesn't get involved.

Yes he's got a long way to go and he's very inexperienced, but he's not ready for first team football yet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not sure I'd play him against Pool. With their pressing, could get ugly.

el3mel

Not sure I'd play him against Pool. With their pressing, could get ugly.
Don't have any other option do we ? Will trust him to put a better performance against them and rise to the importance of the event.

Web of Bissaka

Terrible. Rubbish. Disappointing. His 2nd horrible game.

Seriously need to improve a lot of his game.

That aside, good performance next game against Liverpool will make everyone forgive his horror tonight.

Rossa

Let's be honest. I find it pretty hard to trust a 36 years old midfielder against crazy high pressing either.
True, but there has always been that stick to hit Carrick with, that he doesn’t cope well against high pressing teams, even at his physical peak. However, that was always in a midfield two. He can pick a pass and is good at taking out passing options for the opposition.

Alternatively, Lingard.

el3mel

True, but there has always been that stick to hit Carrick with, that he doesn’t cope well against high pressing teams, even at his physical peak. However, that was always in a midfield two. He can pick a pass and is good at taking out passing options for the opposition.

Alternatively, Lingard.
I always admired Carrick and thought he was very underrated in his prime. However I don't think this can be considered a stick to beat him with since by the age of 36 he's definitely gonna lack against high pressing whatever qualities he has.

Loublaze

ATLien
Terrible. Rubbish. Disappointing. His 2nd horrible game.

Seriously need to improve a lot of his game.

That aside, good performance next game against Liverpool will make everyone forgive his horror tonight.
I don't want to see him play against Liverpool. The kid is not bad but he's not ready and he's very limited IMO

Camilo

Don't think he was particularly poor tonight, I just think the whole team was awful in the first half!

I don't really see what he brings to the team. Other than a decent level of competence and competitiveness I don't think he's the kind of midfielder that should be playing at a top club. It's all well and good saying good teams need fight and spirit and determination, but top teams have players who have that and much more - that's why they're top teams.

Sure, he's only 21 so maybe I'm being harsh, but I don't see him having a long term future here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pereira had a chance to stay and fight for his place, but wasn't up for the challenge.
Hence him ‘kicking himself’.

Also, I doubt Scott McTominay had the opportunity to go and play for Valencia tbh, difficult in a direct comparison.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor performance tonight but he's a kid coming off a few good performances so nobody can slate him.
I'm more than happy for him to spend the next couple of years developing in and out of the starting eleven, one bad performance doesn't make him not ready, just as good performances don't make him the finished product.

Loublaze

ATLien
It seems he's enjoying himself in Spain too much. I don't think his head in the right place.

Loublaze

ATLien
Poor performance tonight but he's a kid coming off a few good performances so nobody can slate him.
I'm more than happy for him to spend the next couple of years developing in and out of the starting eleven, one bad performance doesn't make him not ready, just as good performances don't make him the finished product.
We can cut him a little slack but he was absolutely diabolical against Palace and there's nothing wrong with saying that.

Giggs86

Hope he doesn't start against Liverpool. He will be a bit out of his depth again and I can see him costing us a goal like vs Chelsea.

ti vu

SAF's done it again.

Time to change the flag in the profile pic?

I think people overreact for this performance. It's forgettable, but not some sort of disastrous. CP led early change the flow of the game. Our established players like Lingard, Young, Valencia, especially Alexis didn't do too well. McTomminay's main job is keeping thing ticking while providing extra protection for the back alongside Matic. I doubt Mourinho expect him to be the strong attacking threat. We needed to open the game more by adding attacking player, and with McTominay got booked, he got hooked. We took the risk, got repaid eventually, but you guys should remember the game was also open for CP too. Another would have punished us more and killed the game the way we left ourselves so open. CP had quite handful of good chance to test us.

Micky Targaryen

Hey yeah you're probably right. Never thought about it that way.

Maybe one of the reasons Mou is starting McTominay and bigging him up in interviews is to show Pereira that it is worth it to fight for a place in the team, instead of opting to go out on loan. If that's the case, certainly hope Pereira is listening closely and looking forward to seeing him in our squad next season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We can cut him a little slack but he was absolutely diabolical against Palace and there's nothing wrong with saying that.
I don't think he was diabolical, he was the one to be hooked so we could change our shape so he was always going to get more stick than our other midfielders.

JoaquinJoaquin

Poor last night. Has absolutely no business starting against Liverpool. Surely we will go with Carrick if Herrera is not fit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Poor last night. Has absolutely no business starting against Liverpool. Surely we will go with Carrick if Herrera is not fit.
It's certainly a discussion point. Jose seems to stick with players until they give him a reason not to, was last night his reason not to stick with McTominay? Time will tell

Denis79

Not his best game last night but young players like him will have frequent ups and downs. Hope ihe didn't lose confidence because of it.

Bwuk

McTominay will definately play vs Pool in a similar role to vs Chelsea. He'll mark the the space the inside left will occupy, likewise Matic with Salah on the right.

We'll try to force Mane and Salah wide.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Carrick is known to play horrible when up against high pressing. I would give Scott another chance instead next game to redeem this horror last night.
Scott is also known to just do nothing and loses his runners. Carrick is easily better, even if he never flourished against pressing sides.

Web of Bissaka

Scott is also known to just do nothing and loses his runners. Carrick is easily better, even if he never flourished against pressing sides.
Do we need a slow static great passer or player that can run to help defense quickly against this upcoming high energy pressing side and top form extreme pace attacking trio.

Not much options we have, if only Herrera is fit. Meh, make do with what we have.

That aside, if we're playing with a totally defensive deep tactics and formation, giving them congested space, then Carrick with his interceptions, positioning and experience would be more plausible.

Classical Mechanic

It's certainly a discussion point. Jose seems to stick with players until they give him a reason not to, was last night his reason not to stick with McTominay? Time will tell
There's no one else to play his position unless we bring Bailly back in and play Lindelof there, play Bailly there or promote Hamilton from the academy.

Carrick has had a serious medical condition this year and it looks like he is an absolute last resort for us.

NoLogo

Not his best game last night but young players like him will have frequent ups and downs. Hope ihe didn't lose confidence because of it.
Imo the main thing is that we don't start beating him down now. As you said young players have their ups and downs but we have to trust them to some extend to come good if the talent is clearly there. If we don't do it we can just give up on youth development entirely.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Do we need a slow great passer or player that can run to help defense quickly against this upcoming high energy pressing side and top form extreme pace attacking trio.

Not much options we have, if only Herrera is fit. Meh, make do with what we have.
I wouldn't call Scott a runner. And no use if he is aware enough to track the runs anyway. I could also alternatively ask do we need a passive midfielder who doesn't really do much?

Ander would be my first choice if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.