Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchez

It was never true of Cleverley.

With McTominay, his talent stood out from day one.

The problem is that McTominay's contributions are never about domination. He's an important cog at youth level, without runing matches. He's an important cog at senior level, without running matches. He's an equally important cog in big games in Europe, without running matches. Because he's never been the flash individual in the reserves, a lot of regular watchers missed what he was capable of. And now they're playing him down to cover their own backs.
I would disagree. Cleverely was always a very composed player who was good in tight spaces and had the awareness. It was when he was asked to go beyond that and control the midfield that he was found wanting and not good enough. McTominay is more physical and stronger on the ball while perhaps being more efficient.

I don't know who thought what about him at youth level and that's rather irrelevant in any case. He's currently not an "important cog" in the team. Jose is asking him to do a job which he's done reasonably well but he will need to add more to his game to be regular full time. It's not about being flashy. He needs to become more incisive, more involved and less passive in his play. That's the standard for a United midfielder. This is not a criticism of him. Given this is his first year in senior football he's done quite well but soon enough the caveat of him being young and inexperienced can no longer be used and he'll need to deliver the levels of performances expected from a United CM. Jose also hinted in the post match interview after the Chelsea game that McTominay was being restricted and that there's more to come from him. I thought that was very encouraging in that Jose recognizes more is needed and also that he's the ability to step up.

Dante

Average bang
I would disagree. Cleverely was always a very composed player who was good in tight spaces and had the awareness. It was when he was asked to go beyond that and control the midfield that he was found wanting and not good enough. McTominay is more physical and stronger on the ball while perhaps being more efficient.

I don't know who thought what about him at youth level and that's rather irrelevant in any case. He's currently not an "important cog" in the team. Jose is asking him to do a job which he's done reasonably well but he will need to add more to his game to be regular full time. It's not about being flashy. He needs to become more incisive, more involved and less passive in his play. That's the standard for a United midfielder. This is not a criticism of him. Given this is his first year in senior football he's done quite well but soon enough the caveat of him being young and inexperienced can no longer be used and he'll need to deliver the levels of performances expected from a United CM. Jose also hinted in the post match interview after the Chelsea game that McTominay was being restricted and that there's more to come from him. I thought that was very encouraging in that Jose recognizes more is needed and also that he's the ability to step up.
McTominay is a streak of piss who often gets targetted physically. Whenever he plays, he's a key part of the midfield. And his incisiveness is exactly what he's good at. You coudn't be more wrong.

Hitchez

McTominay is a streak of piss who often gets targetted physically. Whenever he plays, he's a key part of the midfield. And his incisiveness is exactly what he's good at. You coudn't be more wrong.
He's been very good physically this season. Holds his own very well as he showed in the Chelsea game.

Incisiveness was the wrong word, you're right. He's got good awareness, keeps the play ticking and never holds on to the ball longer than he needs to (A fairly unappreciated skill imo) . Penetrative perhaps would be a better description of what would be required from him as he grows into the role. I see a lot of people bringing up Fletcher but Fletcher was a much better passer than anything Mctominay's demonstrated so far.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If anything my bias is towards the academy and English players but when I see this lad play I don’t feel I’m looking at a United level player. He could be a squad option for a while like Cleverley etc but not as a top player for us IMO.

It is pure conjecture, just the same as you concluding he started because he is the next big thing.
Give it up. If you don't think his basic passing, lack of ball winning ability and lack of goal threat is amazing then you just lack knowledge. Its not as if, we as United fans, don't want to see an academy graduate succeed. It's because he's an academy graduate that his merits are being wildly blown out of proportion. We've got one mentalist in this thread claiming he's the most natural passer in the team ffs. It's bananas. Unfortunately you need more than just a basic game to succeed at the top level.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Thought he did really well against Chelsea.
Generally think he'll make it here as a squad player at least, potentially he could develop further and become a first eleven player. Do hope so as well going by reports of how he's handling everything maturely.

Silas

He's the most natural passer in the squad. If you put a blindfold on him at any point in the match, he would still be able to be effective for the next 10-15 seconds. That's the kind of awareness you can't train. The only posters who don't rate him are the bang average ones.
:lol:
I've seen him make about two good passes in his games so far. The rest have mostly been sideways and backwards, so I'm not sure what you're seeing.

Cliche Guevara

I think what we’re definitely seeing is McTominay is being asked to do things by Jose which he’s currently doing well. Jose obviously likes this and trusts him to perform the tasks he’s being given.

Other than that I don’t know how anyone can assess his potential given the very limited role he’s been playing. There is little to go on.

Conversely I don’t understand why anyone would write him off as he’s clearly easing himself into the side, which is a big task.

Why does anyone need to decide on whether he’ll be a long-term success or not? He’s come from relative obscurity and it’s simply too early to tell. So far so acceptable.

Litch

Thought it was his best game but my barometer is simple. If this lad was in a Burnley shirt, would he be linked to here? I'm sorry cause there are better young players out there and it's a massive problem if in our midfield we are playing a player that only offers you is a sideways and backward pass along with a defensive player that might be world class but that's based his defensive duties. We are only then left with Pogs.....Scott is a good honest lad that has a future but not here in my opinion. I fully understand why he's in, but only adds to the very negative football....

Varun

Staff
He's the most natural passer in the squad. If you put a blindfold on him at any point in the match, he would still be able to be effective for the next 10-15 seconds. That's the kind of awareness you can't train. The only posters who don't rate him are the bang average ones.
What do you mean?

Ban

That bad? Cleverley is a regular for a top half side and a good amount of appearances for United and England.

I bet he won't surpass Cleverley in appearance for United, caps for England, PL appearances, or PL titles.
Is he a good player or just average?
He has 13 caps for England, and caps for England don't mean so much these days I'm afraid.
Anderson had a lot of games and titles too for United..

I hope he'll surpass Cleverley as a player who is nothing special to say the least.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Is he a good player or just average?
He has 13 caps for England, and caps for England don't mean so much these days I'm afraid.
Anderson had a lot of games and titles too for United..

I hope he'll surpass Cleverley as a player who is nothing special to say the least.
Cleverley is a decent PL player and one of the most successful academy graduates in recent times. Scott will be lucky to have such a career and has showed just about nothing to say he'll have a better one.

And yes Anderson was a miles better talent than Scott. He was just a lazy shit who was given wat to much leeway.

Litch

Cleverley is a decent PL player and one of the most successful academy graduates in recent times. Scott will be lucky to have such a career and has showed just about nothing to say he'll have a better one.

And yes Anderson was a miles better talent than Scott. He was just a lazy shit who was given wat to much leeway.
The other issue is Cleverley was competing for football in a very different team. He was getting football in a CL and PL winning team. The other issue is Cleverley was much more brave in how he played his football......

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What a load of tosh!

Classical Mechanic

Give it up. If you don't think his basic passing, lack of ball winning ability and lack of goal threat is amazing then you just lack knowledge. Its not as if, we as United fans, don't want to see an academy graduate succeed. It's because he's an academy graduate that his merits are being wildly blown out of proportion. We've got one mentalist in this thread claiming he's the most natural passer in the team ffs. It's bananas. Unfortunately you need more than just a basic game to succeed at the top level.
Yeah, the ‘put a blindfold on him and he will still be able to pass’ line is pretty remarkable. It’s the kind of thing people would say about Scholes, Pirlo or Xavi.

Bobski

It is impressive how composed he has been, handful of games, then chucked into big pressure matches in Europe and a grudge match at home and just keeps ticking the game over. A lot of young players, especially attackers can be so desperate to make an impression that they try too much. Utd don't need that from him yet, help out Matic, be responsible on the ball and allow Pogba a little more freedom. Doing his job nicely, not going to be spectacular but I am certain his team-mates appreciate his contribution.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No white text?

manunited1919

McTom shouldn’t be compared to Fletcher or to Cleverly, as both of these players had the advantage of going through the academy as midfielders. McTom up until about 2 years ago was being played as a forward or as a 10. He only began playing as midfielder very recently.

limerickcitykid

McTom shouldn’t be compared to Fletcher or to Cleverly, as both of these players had the advantage of going through the academy as midfielders. McTom up until about 2 years ago was being played as a forward or as a 10. He only began playing as midfielder very recently.
There are posts and articles listing him as a midfielder from 5-7 years ago. Cleverley also played as a fullback and on the wing plenty of times coming through.

BigBebe

This pretty much sums it up for me. I would only add that all this 'should he play for England or Scotland' talk is very premature. I know that Jose started it but it is really not helpful to the lad.

Loublaze

ATLien
Post of the year surely!

Litch

If the headlines in the summer read "Burnleys young player Scott Mc is being linked with Man Utd".....the answer from most would be why? Isn't there someone better in our youth teams. It's as simple as that....

GM K

I think what we’re definitely seeing is McTominay is being asked to do things by Jose which he’s currently doing well. Jose obviously likes this and trusts him to perform the tasks he’s being given.

Other than that I don’t know how anyone can assess his potential given the very limited role he’s been playing. There is little to go on.

Conversely I don’t understand why anyone would write him off as he’s clearly easing himself into the side, which is a big task.

Why does anyone need to decide on whether he’ll be a long-term success or not? He’s come from relative obscurity and it’s simply too early to tell. So far so acceptable.
Very good post.

Ban

Lets agree to disagree. As I said Cleverley was never anything special and a decent PL player at a club like Everton is just about his level.
So to surpass that kind of a career isn't that tough. Only thing which goes for Cleverley right now is the amount of games he had for United and as I said even Anderson had many game.
As for Anderson himself, he was maybe talented but his talent counted for nothing as he wasted his career.
The other issue is Cleverley was competing for football in a very different team. He was getting football in a CL and PL winning team. The other issue is Cleverley was much more brave in how he played his football......
Wasn't the gripe with Cleverley that he was always hiding and making backward and sideways passing?

manunited1919

There are posts and articles listing him as a midfielder from 5-7 years ago. Cleverley also played as a fullback and on the wing plenty of times coming through.
Fair enough. I was going by the Manutd.com article where he said he was usually taking turns with Rashford to play as 10.

Boycott

Lets agree to disagree. As I said Cleverley was never anything special and a decent PL player at a club like Everton is just about his level.
So to surpass that kind of a career isn't that tough.
Only thing which goes for Cleverley right now is the amount of games he had for United and as I said even Anderson had many game.
As for Anderson himself, he was maybe talented but his talent counted for nothing as he wasted his career.

Wasn't the gripe with Cleverley that he was always hiding and making backward and sideways passing?
You are massively underestimating that. Only a small % of academy footballers go onto make it as a professional, never mind playing in the Premier League. Cleverley is a title winner, played for England, played for three other PL clubs in the heart of midfield. That's a fine career to have in its own right.

limerickcitykid

So to surpass that kind of a career isn't that tough. Only thing which goes for Cleverley right now is the amount of games he had for United and as I said even Anderson had many game.

Isn't that tough? How many United academy graduates are even playing regularly for a top half side?

McTominay is nothing special either.

What's your point. Two players not good enough made a lot of appearances? Yes and McTominay will be lucky to match either of their careers.

limerickcitykid

You are massively underestimating that. Only a small % of academy footballers go onto make it as a professional, never mind playing in the Premier League. Cleverley is a title winner, played for England, played for three other PL clubs in the heart of midfield. That's a fine career to have in its own right.
Its ridiculous how Cleverley is somehow used as insult to a young player even though he has had a better career than what 99% of our academy players?

It was the same with McNair and others before. Somehow McNair was guaranteed to be better than Evans, and Evans was an insult to him. Lo and behold , he isn't going to have a better career than Evans.

Ban

Isn't that tough? How many United academy graduates are even playing regularly for a top half side?

McTominay is nothing special either.

What's your point. Two players not good enough made a lot of appearances? Yes and McTominay will be lucky to match either of their careers.
We'll see, you dont see anything special, I think he might turn out to be good and even match Cleverley's career.
I didn't say it's not a decent career.
I just don't get people who are writing off Scott already. And already think he wont make it although he had few good games and Jose is giving him chances.

Some harsh critics on here.

I like him, looks a smart player. The pass in the build up to our winner versus Chelsea was the kind of pass into space only really intelligent players play. Intelligent players always have a chance.

Litch

We'll see, you dont see anything special, I think he might turn out to be good and even match Cleverley's career.

I didn't say it's not a decent career.
I just don't get people who are writing off Scott already. And already think he wont make it although he had few good games and Jose is giving him chances.
I guess he's no different than having an opinion on any player. Rom come here after scoring 20 goals a season and it's still questions being asked if he's the right fit. I think Scott comes across as a lovely level headed honest young man and a credit to him rather than the 'I've made it' mentality of some young players. My issue is (and it's not his problem) he represents everything I hate about us a present. At a time where we are playing sterile football to not lose, we play a young player that is equally sterile. Like said, it's not his fault anymore than Felliani being signed by David M. The problem is we want so much more......

Ban

I guess he's no different than having an opinion on any player. Rom come here after scoring 20 goals a season and it's still questions being asked if he's the right fit. I think Scott comes across as a lovely level headed honest young man and a credit to him rather than the 'I've made it' mentality of some young players. My issue is (and it's not his problem) he represents everything I hate about us a present. At a time where we are playing sterile football to not lose, we play a young player that is equally sterile. Like said, it's not his fault anymore than Felliani being signed by David M. The problem is we want so much more......
Not every player can be an attacking, flair player, sometimes you must have a player like him.
Other thing is if all of our players are playing 'sterile' as you say. He has a task on the pitch and so far he has been doing it decent imo.

buckooo1978

amazing that some on here think they have detailed and well informed knowledge of how McTominay is going to turn out

I'd bet the majority hadn't heard of the kid a year ago

it will be interesting to see what he can become - from what I've read Scott has showed real hard work and graft to get where he is now. not many fancied him to make to the first team but his attitude has been fantastic according to people around the Youth setup - with that graft and attitude who's to say he can't develop further?

Reminds me of reading Gary Neville's book - Gary was self aware enough to know he wasn't blessed with great skill but worked hard and dedicated his life to being the best footballer he could - with confidence and hard work what's to say he can't develop into a very handy player for us.

Litch

Not every player can be an attacking, flair player, sometimes you must have a player like him.
Other thing is if all of our players are playing 'sterile' as you say. He has a task on the pitch and so far he has been doing it decent imo.
Agree and like I said it's not his fault anymore than the other players that don't appear to have the ability to play here but that's my point, I just don't think he does. If he's been told to do this fair enough but there are times you can express yourself. He needs to do this otherwise he'll be upgraded no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.