Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You think fans of the club should praise him, even if they don't think he's very good?
So fans have become scouts on football manager that 'rate' players and then dig deep into this position until they are forced to change their opinion in face of overwhelming evidence. It happened with Lingard, where there was a section that was convinced he was a nothing player. On the other hand, the people that actually coached him from youth to adult football actually predicted this rise.

The youth coaches have said that there is more to come from McTominay, that he is playing within himself and listening to the Manager. A young player playing for United and not capitulating from the pressure, rather sticking to basics and working hard on his game. He deserved the benefit of the doubt no?

Would you prefer if he broke onto the scene like Micheda?

Oldham

Very satisfied with Scott

Has shown remarkable consistency in his performances

Kaushalmanutd

Happy for him and especially happy for the young players that come from the academy as it gives them impetus to work harder to be a manutd first team player but tbh scott is plain average nothing more than that. As usual people here love to go in overdrive and hype a player to ridiculous levels.

Players like scott come and go all the time. I would be chuffed if he becomes a good squad player for us in the future but i dont see it. If you want to see a really good player at the same age , see lewis cook now that boy is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So fans have become scouts on football manager that 'rate' players and then dig deep into this position until they are forced to change their opinion in face of overwhelming evidence. It happened with Lingard, where there was a section that was convinced he was a nothing player. On the other hand, the people that actually coached him from youth to adult football actually predicted this rise.

The youth coaches have said that there is more to come from McTominay, that he is playing within himself and listening to the Manager. A young player playing for United and not capitulating from the pressure, rather sticking to basics and working hard on his game. He deserved the benefit of the doubt no?

Would you prefer if he broke onto the scene like Micheda?
Yeah football manager ffs. Do you think you're the only one capable of forming an opinion of a player? What with your coaching badges and all? Lingard at an early age showed really promise. His movement in particular was already top class.

Funny you should mention Macheda. Because the youth coaches talked him up massively too. Not convenient to talk about all the players the youth coaches talked up and failed miserably?

Regardless, people are entitled to think he isn't good enough, and his performances have hardly been spectacular. I'm including youth football in that too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Scott has been doing fine but We need more games before passing judgement to him. The samples are too small.

It's too early to compare Scott to Fletcher. I don't think Fletcher was ever world class but He was definitely a good midfielder (pre-illness) and his work rate and ability to carry out a specific instruction were outstanding, the reason why SAF used to trust him in big games.

Remember Januzaj? He disappeared. I remember at some point He was one of the best young talents in the world. Don't get me wrong though, I hope Scott will make it but first, He needs to make sure He'll stay in the team next season considering there's a space for him. He has more chance and less competition than let's say... Andreas Pereira so I don't think a loan move would be better. He needs to gain Jose's favor. I hope Jose's recent comments about Scott aren't just publicity and that Jose really likes Scott as his player.

Last edited:

Sanche7

First of all I'm happy for the kid the manager seem to rate him and he seems like a good lad, hard working ready to learn and change.
But after seeing all the praise bestowed upon him on here and on Twitter and even by the boss, I decided to watch his individual highlights from the last 2-3 games. I had to watch the individual highlights as I do not remember him being a stand out performer in any of those games.
And even after watching those individual highlights, I was left largely unimpressed.

To be frank I don't see what's so special about him, I mean he keeps things simple with an occasional good pass or two but he is neither a DM nor a high energy high work rate CM, he isn't very creative to play further forward nor can be control games.
Maybe he can play as a DM, like Matic in the future but I don't see him being top class. He is consistent and he constantly performs at a level which is about solid but nothing more.

I know United fans love when a kid from our academy is playing in the first team and performing well but I see some people saying we don't need to buy a CM as we have Scott, I mean that's stretching it. I don't think he is good enough to be a regular starter for us, a squad player yes and maybe in the future he can be a starter, but for now - No

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
First of all I'm happy for the kid the manager seem to rate him and he seems like a good lad, hard working ready to learn and change.
But after seeing all the praise bestowed upon him on here and on Twitter and even by the boss, I decided to watch his individual highlights from the last 2-3 games. I had to watch the individual highlights as I do not remember him being a stand out performer in any of those games.
And even after watching those individual highlights, I was left largely unimpressed.

To be frank I don't see what's so special about him, I mean he keeps things simple with an occasional good pass or two but he is neither a DM nor a high energy high work rate CM, he isn't very creative to play further forward nor can be control games.
Maybe he can play as a DM, like Matic in the future but I don't see him being top class. He is consistent and he constantly performs at a level which is about solid but nothing more.

I know United fans love when a kid from our academy is playing in the first team and performing well but I see some people saying we don't need to buy a CM as we have Scott, I mean that's stretching it. I don't think he is good enough to be a regular starter for us, a squad player yes and maybe in the future he can be a starter, but for now - No
I don't think it's people saying he can do all this now though. People are looking at a kid coming through that they think, is playing within himself at his managers instructions. That's a massive mental skill to have as you need to constantly remind yourself to keep it simple and stick to the task given to you.

The hope is that he pushes on from here once Mourinhos trust is gained. It's not like he's been full of sloppy touches, constantly giving the ball away and getting bullied in the middle of the park. He has held his own and not looked out of place. The test now is whether he can move past this to cement his place in the coming years, or whether he will stay as the steady midfielder.

Also, at the moment, there is a case to be made that a steady midfielder is just what we need. Matic is our ball winner and controller, whilst Pogba performs the more creative task. McTominay is being asked to provide support for both and so far is doing fine in allowing them to perform better. Time will tell if he can make the step up from supporting others to having his own impact on the game.

meamth

"He is 21 and to play like that [against Chelsea] and control the game like that is impressive. He will be a big player for Manchester United.

"I like him because he is a very nice guy and he doesn't have a problem to ask something before the game. I am always there to help him.

"When I came to Manchester, I saw within a few days he would become a top player.

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/extra-channels/mutv/?DCMP=ss.com_halfprice
"He is working very hard, but I don't want to say too many things about him because he is still very young.

"But he deserves all the good things."

Matic knows what is needed to play in midfield under United manager Jose Mourinho, who he worked with at Chelsea before moving to Old Trafford in the summer.

McTominay and Nemanja Matic during a Manchester United training session
"To fight for the team and not to let the opponent have big space to play," said the Serbia international.

"And this is what Scott and me did [at the weekend]."

Sanche7

I don't think it's people saying he can do all this now though. People are looking at a kid coming through that they think, is playing within himself at his managers instructions. That's a massive mental skill to have as you need to constantly remind yourself to keep it simple and stick to the task given to you.

The hope is that he pushes on from here once Mourinhos trust is gained. It's not like he's been full of sloppy touches, constantly giving the ball away and getting bullied in the middle of the park. He has held his own and not looked out of place. The test now is whether he can move past this to cement his place in the coming years, or whether he will stay as the steady midfielder.

Also, at the moment, there is a case to be made that a steady midfielder is just what we need. Matic is our ball winner and controller, whilst Pogba performs the more creative task. McTominay is being asked to provide support for both and so far is doing fine in allowing them to perform better. Time will tell if he can make the step up from supporting others to having his own impact on the game.
Agree with everything you said and hopefully he can progress to become a very good player for us

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Find it funny that people are already making predictions of him. Nobody expected him to be playing first team for United let alone playing in big matches for us.

If there's one who player who has consistently proven the youth watchers wrong it's McTominay.

KM

"He is 21 and to play like that [against Chelsea] and control the game like that is impressive. He will be a big player for Manchester United.

"I like him because he is a very nice guy and he doesn't have a problem to ask something before the game. I am always there to help him.

"When I came to Manchester, I saw within a few days he would become a top player.

"He is working very hard, but I don't want to say too many things about him because he is still very young.

"But he deserves all the good things."

Matic knows what is needed to play in midfield under United manager Jose Mourinho, who he worked with at Chelsea before moving to Old Trafford in the summer.

McTominay and Nemanja Matic during a Manchester United training session
"To fight for the team and not to let the opponent have big space to play," said the Serbia international.

"And this is what Scott and me did [at the weekend]."
What does Mourinho knows though? Experts here have labelled him as half the player of a midfielder playing in Championship and have decided that he's not going to be better than Cleverley.

Varun

Staff

That is the standout aspect of his performances so far. With kids breaking through, the tendency is to either try and make a mark doing too much or to look overawed and retreat into a shell. He looks so fecking composed, its amazing. Has the head of a 28yr old. As you said, he helps us play better as a team and long may it continue.

Classical Mechanic

What does Mourinho knows though? Experts here have labelled him as half the player of a midfielder playing in Championship and have decided that he's not going to be better than Cleverley.
Mourinho and every manager ever have talked up young players that go on to do very little. Josh McEachran was one he talked up at Chelsea and gave games to. Fergie talked up Cleverley etc. It is motivational.

KM

Mourinho and every manager ever have talked up young players that go on to do very little. Josh McEachran was one he talked up at Chelsea and gave games to. Fergie talked up Cleverley etc. It is motivational.
That was Ferguson and Ancelotti managers who have a proven record in youth players. Mourinho as we know is bit different, for him to start McTominay in two of our biggest games of the season speaks volumes about the trust he has in McTominay.

Actions speaks louder than words, how many other youth academy graduates of Chelsea, Madrid etc has Mourinho started in a match against a big team and in CL Round of 16?

Classical Mechanic

That was Ferguson and Ancelotti managers who have a proven record in youth players. Mourinho as we know is bit different, for him to start McTominay in two of our biggest games of the season speaks volumes about the trust he has in McTominay.

Actions speaks louder than words, how many other youth academy graduates of Chelsea, Madrid etc has Mourinho started in a match against a big team and in CL Round of 16?
We don’t have the numbers though do we, he was in conflict with Pogba, Carrick is shot and Fellani is injured.

I’m not going to argue with you on his quality. I’m humble enough to admit that I’m only a fan watching the game and in no way an expert but I just don’t rate him. I’ve seen loads of young players get a run and then disappear into obscurity. I expect him to become a frustrating squad player at best.

KM

We don’t have the numbers though do we, he was in conflict with Pogba, Carrick is shot and Fellani is injured.

I’m not going to argue with you on his quality. I’m humble enough to admit that I’m only a fan watching the game and in no way an expert but I just don’t rate him. I’ve seen loads of young players get a run and then disappear into obscurity. I expect him to become a frustrating squad player at best.
So Mourinho praises him because it's motivational technique(somebody forgot to tell him to use the same motivational technique on Shaw, Martial etc). Mourinho starting him in our two of the biggest matches of the season is because other players were injured. Let's find more ways to discredit a youngster.

Classical Mechanic

So Mourinho praises him because it's motivational technique(somebody forgot to tell him to use the same motivational technique on Shaw, Martial etc). Mourinho starting him in our two of the biggest matches of the season is because other players were injured. Let's find more ways to discredit a youngster.
He wouldn’t have started if Fellani was available.

I just don’t rate the player. Just because he is a youngster doesn’t mean I have to give a false opinion on him.

KM

He wouldn’t have started if Fellani was available.

I just don’t rate the player. Just because he is a youngster doesn’t mean I have to give a false opinion on him.
Ofcourse but just because you don't rate the player doesn't mean that Jose doesn't rate the player. Him praising McTominay and starting him in two of our bigger matches is due to the fact that Jose obviously rates him, but you've been giving different reasons for both.

Also your first statement is pure conjecture. McTominay started when Pogba was available. If Fellaini was fit and McTominay would've started, then it's possible you guys would've attributed it due to the fact that Fellaini was leaving in summer.

KM

Look all I'm saying that that McTominay is one of the most unique cases I've ever seen in my life. He was nowhere near in the top 10 prospects in Academy or U23 teams, but he has seemingly overtaken all of them and is playing for the first team. It's incredibly tough for any of us to predict his future path as of now(moreso than any other youngster).

Hawks2008

He has definitely done well and good on the manager for showing faith in him but I do wonder if he would have even gotten the chance if he wasn't 6'4".

An Irish Red

He really didn't control the game. He was the least involved of any of our midfielders in a game that was relatively even for the most part.

He might end up a decent squad player for us but the 'fantastic performance' and 'special player' shouts just don't make sense to me.

Classical Mechanic

Ofcourse but just because you don't rate the player doesn't mean that Jose doesn't rate the player. Him praising McTominay and starting him in two of our bigger matches is due to the fact that Jose obviously rates him, but you've been giving different reasons for both.

Also your first statement is pure conjecture. McTominay started when Pogba was available. If Fellaini was fit and McTominay would've started, then it's possible you guys would've attributed it due to the fact that Fellaini was leaving in summer.
If anything my bias is towards the academy and English players but when I see this lad play I don’t feel I’m looking at a United level player. He could be a squad option for a while like Cleverley etc but not as a top player for us IMO.

It is pure conjecture, just the same as you concluding he started because he is the next big thing.

KM

If anything my bias is towards the academy and English players but when I see this lad play I don’t feel I’m looking at a United level player. He could be a squad option for a while like Cleverley etc but not as a top player for us IMO.

It is pure conjecture, just the same as you concluding he started because he is the next big thing.
I've no where said that he's next big thing(compared him to Dier and Obi Mikel in the past btw). I'm just saying that he's starting because Jose seems to rate him. It seems futile to argue with you, you are more interested in conjectures and imaginations rather than seeing what's happening right now.

KM

Interesting, given that Mr McEachran never played a game for Jose Mourinho.
Mourinho talked up Loftus Cheek at Chelsea too and he's one whom I personally rate higher than McTominay but never really started him in a substantially big match.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I've been impressed with him. Always good to see an academy player playing regularly. As usual, he will be harshly criticized on here, but if Jose sees something in him, then i hope he gets time to develop properly.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That is the standout aspect of his performances so far. With kids breaking through, the tendency is to either try and make a mark doing too much or to look overawed and retreat into a shell. He looks so fecking composed, its amazing. Has the head of a 28yr old. As you said, he helps us play better as a team and long may it continue.
Yeah the bold probably sums up more entire post really. People are looking for something he's not being asked to do, and therefore will always be disappointed. If you look at the tasks he's been charged with he's performing well.

Classical Mechanic

Interesting, given that Mr McEachran never played a game for Jose Mourinho.
My bad, it was Ancelloti I think.

I've no where said that he's next big thing(compared him to Dier and Obi Mikel in the past btw). I'm just saying that he's starting because Jose seems to rate him. It seems futile to argue with you, you are more interested in conjectures and imaginations rather than seeing what's happening right now.
I think you are being obtuse if you flat out refuse to accept that his break is due to a lack of options. I think most people would agree that he started against Sevilla due to Fellani's injury and Mou's conflict with Pogba and then retained his place due to Hererra getting injured against Sevilla.

meamth

Like they said, you don't need flashy skills and hollywood passes in every game to justify a top player.

What Mctominay could be is that silent top quality player ala Carrick was when he had Scholesy.

SSSSnake

Something I’m still very proud of United for. Lingard, Rashford and now Tommy. All pushing for starting places in this expensive squad.

Bruce Wayne

Happy that Jose keeps giving youth a chance. We have Carrick and possibly Fellaini leaving this summer and perfect time for McTominay to come through. Hopefully he will have a successful career with us.

Dante

Average bang
He's the most natural passer in the squad. If you put a blindfold on him at any point in the match, he would still be able to be effective for the next 10-15 seconds. That's the kind of awareness you can't train. The only posters who don't rate him are the bang average ones.

Hitchez

He's the most natural passer in the squad. If you put a blindfold on him at any point in the match, he would still be able to be effective for the next 10-15 seconds. That's the kind of awareness you can't train. The only posters who don't rate him are the bang average ones.
I would suggest the same was true of Cleverely (Who in my view got lots of undeserved stick from Untied fans online). Clearly, you need more to be a regular midfielder for United. Not that I'm suggesting McTominay will not do that or that he will not make the step up. Certainly, what he's shown so far is very promising. He needs to build on it and hopefully add more to his game and look to influence the game more.

Dante

Average bang
I would suggest the same was true of Cleverely (Who in my view got lots of undeserved stick from Untied fans online). Clearly, you need more to be a regular midfielder for United. Not that I'm suggesting McTominay will not do that or that he will not make the step up. Certainly, what he's shown so far is very promising. He needs to build on it and hopefully add more to his game and look to influence the game more.
It was never true of Cleverley.

With McTominay, his talent stood out from day one.

The problem is that McTominay's contributions are never about domination. He's an important cog at youth level, without runing matches. He's an important cog at senior level, without running matches. He's an equally important cog in big games in Europe, without running matches. Because he's never been the flash individual in the reserves, a lot of regular watchers missed what he was capable of. And now they're playing him down to cover their own backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.