5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prateik

Clearly. If you are tall, you get a new 4 year contract at United. We all know how it works.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep, thats my opinion based on the fact we all know Mourinho has a height fetish and the fact McTominay never stood out in the youth ranks.
Yet signed one the shortest central defenders we’ve had at the club and consistently played Rojo and Jones ahead of Smalling for a large chunk of last season. But height doesn’t matter in central defence, right?

Kag

Fairly solid player, this lad. He's sound on the ball and quite intelligent so there's a good career in it for him, whether it be at United or not. Again, it's all about game time. He's 21 in just over a month and has played professional football on five occasions. It makes you despair.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yet signed one the shortest central defenders we’ve had at the club and consistently played Rojo and Jones ahead of Smalling for a large chunk of last season. But height doesn’t matter in central defence, right?
Are you going to sit here and say Mourinho doesn't have a thing for tall players? It obviously wont influence every selection decision he makes. Who is this short CB you speak of? Lindelof and Bailly are both 6'2

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Are you going to sit here and say Mourinho doesn't have a thing for tall players? It obviously wont influence every selection decision he makes. Who is this short CB you speak of? Lindelof and Bailly are both 6'2
No way are Lindelof and Bailly the same height.

Why would you admit that height won’t influence every selection decision while also maintaining that McTominay is getting games (and a new contract) for no other reason than his height?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

Why would you admit that height won’t influence every selection decision while also maintaining that McTominay is getting games for no other reason than his height?
You could argue that it could affect this particular decision while it doesn't have to impact every selection. Not that I agree, McTominay has looked tidy whenever I've seen him play for us so far. Not entirely convinced that tidy is enough, though, it is the same that used to be said about someone like Cleverley for example.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Mourinho is clearly a bit of a size queen, no point in arguing against that.

Loublaze

ATLien

Why would you admit that height won’t influence every selection decision while also maintaining that McTominay is getting games (and a new contract) for no other reason than his height?
All I'm saying is height was a major factor in my opinion. McTominay by all accounts has struggled throughout his youth career with injuries and more recently because of his growth spurt. The players getting the plaudits in midfield were Devonte Redmond and Matty Willock. Also, Bailly and Lindelof are both 6'2 according to the official website and any other source you find. Both taller than Jones.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You could argue that it could affect this particular decision while it doesn't have to impact every selection. Not that I agree, McTominay has looked tidy whenever I've seen him play for us so far. Not entirely convinced that tidy is enough, though, it is the same that used to be said about someone like Cleverley for example.
It’s not as though there aren’t other tall midfielders coming through the ranks. Even if McTominay has an inch or two on most of them (and most of them still have growing to do) it would be madness to assume that this extra inch or two in height is the difference between making it at United or not.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
All I'm saying is height was a major factor in my opinion. McTominay by all accounts has struggled throughout his youth career with injuries and more recently because of his growth spurt. The players getting the plaudits in midfield were Devonte Redmond and Matty Willock. Also, Bailly and Lindelof are both 6'2 according to the official website and any other source you find. Both taller than Jones.
Who is 6’2” tall. Too short for Mourinho’s tastes?

Loublaze

ATLien
Who is 6’2” tall. Too short for Mourinho’s tastes?
Redmond was already bound to be loaned out by virtue of being one of the leading players in the ranks, same with Willock. Those players have outgrown youth football. McTominay was the tallest reserve player available.

Loublaze

ATLien
It’s not as though there aren’t other tall midfielders coming through the ranks. Even if McTominay has an inch or two on most of them (and most of them still have growing to do) it would be madness to assume that this extra inch or two in height is the difference between making it at United or not.
Who are these other tall CMs not including Redmond who we've covered?

Loublaze

ATLien
Your dismissal of Redmond makes no sense. He was too good to be offered the contract McTominay just signed?

It’s the short, better CMs getting overlooked because of this “height fetish” that we should be discussing, surely?
Do you think if McTominay was earmarked for a loan move this summer Mourinho would've stopped it? Its quite possible he didnt touch the players with loan moves agreed on. It might as well be Redmond in the team now instead of McTominay. We'll never know. All I'm saying is height was a major factor in Mourinho's decision as he wasn't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination in reserves. Am I allowed to have that opinion?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Do you think if McTominay was earmarked for a loan move this summer Mourinho would've stopped it? Its quite possible he didnt touch the players with loan moves agreed on. It might as well be Redmond in the team now instead of McTominay. We'll never know. All I'm saying is height was a major factor in Mourinho's decision as he wasn't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination in reserves. Am I allowed to have that opinion?
You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want! I think it's unfair on McTominay to label him as some sort of physical freak only getting games because he's tall. If anything, his height has counted against him so far because he had such bad growing pains and is probably only fulfilling his potential now he's stopped growing (didn't Rashford suffer from similar issues?). From what I've seen he's also got great feet, works very hard and has an eye for a pass but whatever, if I can't change your mind about him that's fine.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
No, you said it's the only factor.

He's in the first team for his height and nothing else.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ain't nobody giving Redmond plaudits except for his initial step-up to the u21s. He has been rubbish since and is consistently ridiculed in the youth forum. Willock isn't that good either. None of them would be expected to make it here and aren't rated as highly as those in the past like Ben Pearson etc.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ain't nobody giving Redmond plaudits except for his initial step-up to the u21s. He has been rubbish since and is consistently ridiculed in the youth forum. Willock isn't that good either. None of them would be expected to make it here and aren't rated as highly as those in the past like Ben Pearson etc.
Ain't nobody giving Redmond plaudits huh? Lol no one was even talking about McTominay before his ascendency to the first team! It caught everyone off guard. FFS he only made the U21s because of a striker shortage and he was played as a CF. His youth career has been a struggle. Mourinho called on him in an injury crisis last season because of his height IMO

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ain't nobody giving Redmond plaudits huh? Lol no one was even talking about McTominay before his ascendency to the first team! It caught everyone off guard. FFS he only made the U21s because of a striker shortage and he was played as a CF. His youth career has been a struggle. Mourinho called on him in an injury crisis last season because of his height IMO
I don't rate McTominay either but that doesn't even really matter. Redmond is even worse. Yes, where is he getting plaudits from? He is often regarded as being the worst player on the pitch for the u23s and is consistently ridiculed in match threads. McTominay is average, Redmond is even worse. Redmond has also played as a ST last year too so hardly relevant.

King.of.Red

He's in the first team for his height and nothing else. Not even the reserve/youth team experts think he's anything special. Its a similar situation to Blackett under LVG when he was picked simply because he was left footed. McTominay's here now so he should take his chance. Seems a nothing player IMO though, as in doesn't appear to be particularly good at anything
:lol:
oke it's your opinion. my opinion, he has his own quality that bring him to become Jose players. ;)

jb8521

Personally I'd say McTominay looked far more mature and ready for first team football while playing for the u23s than either Redmond or Willock did last season. I don't particularly rate McTominay but he's a decent all rounder, never shirked a challenge and showed the right attitude while the other 2 tended to drift in and out of matches, looked intimidated when up against senior players like Kirchoff for Sunderland, took extra touches on the ball and got caught in possession a lot and in Willock's case tried to play for himself rather than the team going off on runs down blind alleys and taking on ridiculous shots when team mates were better positioned while McTominay's attitude and effort was always spot on even though he spent a lot of time playing completely out of position.

Nick7

Good half from him. Looks a nice little player. I'm hoping he can push on further. Would be great to see.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Very good defensively but I'd like to see some more bravery on the ball from him.

itso 7

Very good bits of skill on the ball and some nice passes but he has been struggling off the ball which I think will come with more experience.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Starting look like typical Mourinho's player. Strong, committed and most of all - solid.

M16Red

What are you guys watching?, he's been rubbish. His positional play is shocking.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Grew into the game, doing ok now after a shaky start

Loublaze

ATLien
What are you guys watching?, he's been rubbish. His positional play is shocking.
He's the new Fletcher 03. A nothing player but he's from the youth setup so he can't do no wrong, at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.