Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My Pogba comments are in the Pogba forum. Scott put in a very useful performance in difficult circumstances. Maybe I’m absurd or maybe some of the bias against this guy on here is absurd, who knows?

Davie Moyes

There’s a pitiful lack of appreciation here of what midfield play is about. Mostly it’s about defending space and tackling. It’s also about securing possession, opening up the play and setting the tempo of the team. Scott looks like a guy who can give us all that if he gets some game time.

I’m in a very small minority here in seeing this lad as a player (no problem with that, we all have opinions) but he is so much more of a natural midfielder than some (one in particular) of his more illustrious colleagues.

Then again he could be the next Cleverly and what do I know.
Good post. I've not seen the game but read Ole's quotes and quotes of a few posters I respect on here who have praised his performance. That's enough for me to guage how well he did. Sounds like he put in similar performance to games he had last season. I will ignore the remaining 90% percent of the experts on here who think he's not Utd quality or has no future here forgetting past players such as P Neville, Fletcher, O'Shea etc valuable squad players who carved out great careers here.

dogwithabone

As ole said - I think mctominnay can improve like fletcher did.

However it won't happen until we cover the holes in the squad. If we have players that can dictate our play in midfield more, creators & a DM then mctominnay can come fill in the gaps like fletcher used to do. Until then some of his weaknesses may show if he regularly plays for a midfield that needs to get better a s a whole

Got one hell of a long way to go to be half as good as Fletcher.

Roboc7

He did ok, he’s clearly a very limited player but does the job to best of his abilities which is all you can ask of him. He has a long way to improve to be anything other than someone who fills in for few games a season but he’ll get a few games now to show if he is making any ofvthose mprovements.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not easy coming into a game such as the one today, especially when you've not played that many games. However, I thought he had a pretty solid performance. Yes, his passing wasn't always great and it seemed that he often went for the simple option but all in all, he had a good performance, in my opinion.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Decent game today. He's pretty poor on the ball but he protected the back four well enough.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
People jostling each other to say how mediocre he is or how vastly superior Pogba was. You lot are weird. One of our youngsters comes in to a vital match, does a fine job. Just say well done. Jaysus.

Last edited:

Giggs86

Liked what I've seen today. I want to see him having a go without the defensive shackles and bomb forward. Maybe today wasn't the day for that but he clearly have it in his locker. He can beat his man and he have the ability to accelerate quickly.

Bola

I thought he did very well. Defended ok, showed for the ball and kept it moving.

Not the easiest game to play in as while the Liverpool midfield deserve criticism for a lack of creativity, they are a non-stop and well drilled trio of headless chickens who do not stop pressuring. In that context, I thought McTom did very well

I don't think he is ever going to be a proper 1st teamers for us, but I think he could be a matchday squad player and regular rotation option. We can't have a squad of 23 superstars and we need lads like him

Intilo

Sir Alex , Mourinho , Solksjaer rate this guy. That's all i need to know and believe in.

RedPnutz

Youth academy product comes in near last minute in one of the toughest games of the season and does a composer and mature job. Matic has been critical in defending the back four and keeping things ticking. McTominay proves he is no slouch with a disciplined performance doing the basics right and keeping things simple.

Yet people can’t wait to claim he is mediocre and some even say Liverpool lacked creativity. Tell that to the teams that Liverpool beat soundly this year. Maybe Liverpool’s midfield appear to lack creativity because our midfielders did a good job snuffing them out.

MorraGambit

Youth academy product comes in near last minute in one of the toughest games of the season and does a composer and mature job. Matic has been critical in defending the back four and keeping things ticking. McTominay proves he is no slouch with a disciplined performance doing the basics right and keeping things simple.

Yet people can’t wait to claim he is mediocre and some even say Liverpool lacked creativity. Tell that to the teams that Liverpool beat soundly this year. Maybe Liverpool’s midfield appear to lack creativity because our midfielders did a good job snuffing them out.
It's just Liverpool. Scott and Ole haven't got the real test. They'll be found out soon unless we get new fancy midfielder and manager. Haven't you heard?

meamth

He's bang average comments are just mental.

What do you want from a DM? Hollywood pass every 10 seconds? Playmaking like 32 year old Scholes?

I don't understand. What do you need from him? A sudden world class ability from a youngster who never played regularly? Caf can be infuriating.

crossy1686

career ending
I came in this thread about 5 weeks ago and he was the anti-Christ. Come in today, he's a future United regular! :lol:

In all seriousness, I hope people start to understand that being a youth player at a team like United isn't easy, and a few poor performances (under an anti-football manager) doesn't mean they're finished. Youth players are inconsistent, which is why they don't play every game.

haram

Another good performance vs Liverpool and yet somehow "not good enough" for Manchester United.
When people are brave enough to spew their agenda against Scott again they will forget about this game.

Ekeke

He's bang average comments are just mental.

What do you want from a DM? Hollywood pass every 10 seconds? Playmaking like 32 year old Scholes?

I don't understand. What do you need from him? A sudden world class ability from a youngster who never played regularly? Caf can be infuriating.
I want someone in a good position and quick to react to the danger around him. When Liverpool were playing okay before the injuries started disrupting the game he was was always on the move but slow to react to the danger around him and get his foot in. It looked like Liverpool would get some joy from that central area.

And then the injuries started and Liverpool were quite poor and rarely tested us in that area. He had one nice moment in the second half where he was in a good position and Liverpool passed it right to him because of that. But most of the time he wasnt in a very good position and wasnt quick to react to the movement and danger around him. Its just Liverpool's attack fell apart other than Salah taking on Shaw for most of the match so McTominay wasnt tested too much.

Also helps that Pogba was our main ball winner next to him

sport2793

One thing that I will say is working for McTominay is his height. Definitely can be an asset in the box and can win aerial balls if a team tries to play more direct. I hope that he can add to his skill-set over time.

Manowar

His ability on the ball and passing are limited, but he makes up for it with being disciplined.
Still a long way to go to be someone like Fletcher for us but a encouraging cameo.

VictoriaRed

I like him, too. Overall, did very well; however, one time he gave the ball in away in our half, and jogged back into position instead of A) winning it back himself or B) hustling back into a position to ensure there was no damage done based on his feck up!

Andersonson

Did really really well, I think his passing was very good. Cant understand you who says otherwise. He kept the flow and did nothing wrong with the ball.

Liverpool pressed like mad dogs at times yet he was very composed.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He put in a very good shift. He has his limitations, but in very difficult circumstances he did really well.

Donno where his future lies, but it seems like we're gonna need him to preform well in the coming weeks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was good in his role. Covered the defense well. This is his 3rd good performance vs good teams. 2 vs Liverpool and 1 vs Chelsea. Looks like he is useful squad player.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Had a decent game but doesn’t seem to have that sprinkling of magic dust. I think he’ll be a solid squad player. A bit like a Nicky Butt or Fletcher, good solid players who do a job.
And that would be fantastic. Our best teams under Fergie always had solid squad players that could be counted on when injuries plied up and we had a tight schedule. Im not quite convinced by him yet, but hes a big lad with a good engine, so if he can improve his technique and tactical abilities hes going to be useful

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Until Herrera went off the pitch I was a bit frustrated with him, just kinda strolling round the pitch having the odd touch but not really involved. After Herrera went off it’s like he realized that he needed to put an extra shift in, and had a good game in the end

Member 90887

I think we all agree that he does not have 'world class' potential. i think that we all can agree that he's not gonna be one of our best players. but it looks like he could be solid for us, like O'Shea was, or Brown, phil neville anyone ? We did not always have world class players and world class replacements, it's real life, not football manager. He has the potential to be a very good squad player, he's an academy lad, so i'm sure he would relish every chance to participate. Plus, what he lacks in technical abilities he makes up for with his work rate, height and balls. It's important to have this kind of players in the squad.

He has been good when called upon to contribute. i do not understand all the hate he gets. it's a bit like Lingard really (talking about the stick he gets).

MetoTTT

He did really well yesterday. He could be an usefull squad player and we'll need him and Fred till Matic and Ander are injured. I can't get all the blame, the lad didn't kick a ball for the first team for a while ffs.

Ekeke

Until Herrera went off the pitch I was a bit frustrated with him, just kinda strolling round the pitch having the odd touch but not really involved. After Herrera went off it’s like he realized that he needed to put an extra shift in, and had a good game in the end
Speaking of Ander, he gave a freekick away on the edge of the box because 2 United players including McTominay werewaltzed past with ease... By Matip if I remember correctly around 15 mins in. Salah blasted it over the bar luckily enough

SirAF

Ageist
I think we all agree that he does not have 'world class' potential. i think that we all can agree that he's not gonna be one of our best players. but it looks like he could be solid for us, like O'Shea was, or Brown, phil neville anyone ? We did not always have world class players and world class replacements, it's real life, not football manager. He has the potential to be a very good squad player, he's an academy lad, so i'm sure he would relish every chance to participate. Plus, what he lacks in technical abilities he makes up for with his work rate, height and balls. It's important to have this kind of players in the squad.

He has been good when called upon to contribute. i do not understand all the hate he gets. it's a bit like Lingard really (talking about the stick he gets).
This. You can’t expect the academy to produce a Rashford too often, but to be able to supply the squad with a homegrown player for rotation is absolutely golden.

Ekeke

I think he's still some way off being a good money saver for us. But yes, with experience and improvement he could develop into a squad player like that.

Lingard went out on loan to get his experience. Thats what I think McTominay needs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.