Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Had a decent game but doesn’t seem to have that sprinkling of magic dust. I think he’ll be a solid squad player. A bit like a Nicky Butt or Fletcher, good solid players who do a job.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Massive performance, feared the worst when the lineup was announced but every credit to him, didn’t look out of place in our side or the scousers.

Very difficult game to play your first full 90 for some time and deserves a lot of credit for his performance.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's terrible on the ball. Hides behind opposition so the Cbs can't play it in to him and when he does get it it's all sideways and backwards. Did ok defensively, although slow to fill in gaps at times i thought.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This was his best display for United so far. Thrown in at the deep end and made it look easy.
Don't know about that. He played an absolute blinder against Chelsea a few seasons back.

But yeah, decent game I thought, considering. Never gonna be a player that makes a difference but don't think he was bad.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has a decent tactical understanding of the game and magnificent positional discipline defensively for a guy his age. Everything else is pretty much mediocre. Good game!

sveisa

"Poor on the ball".

At the moment maybe, but are we saying they this can't be improved in training? Reminds me of a certain Portuguese who stated that finishing is about natural ability and pointless to work on as you either "have it" or not.

Do we know anything about his work ethic and attitude in training?

If he's working hard I'd say let's see where he is in 2-3 years. He's already a useful squad player.

Loublaze

ATLien
Had a decent game but doesn’t seem to have that sprinkling of magic dust. I think he’ll be a solid squad player. A bit like a Nicky Butt or Fletcher, good solid players who do a job.
Time will tell but if he becomes even half the players they were he'll be a solid squad option. I sincerely doubt it

Based Adnan

Don't know about that. He played an absolute blinder against Chelsea a few seasons back.
Last season he played his best in a double pivot alongside Matic. Today he played lone 6 with Pereira and Pogba in front. Much more responsibility on him today so I'd say it's his best due to that.

Irwin99

Thought he was pretty composed in possession at times. Did well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In summary, he is not as good as Pogba on the ball, and therefor not good?
Nothing to do with not being as good on the ball as Pogba. But he provides significantly less on the ball than Matic, and most people on here generally agree that Matic himself doesn't provide enough. That makes it much easier for the opposition to shut us down as all they really have to do is mark Pogba out of the game.

McTominay played better in a couple of the big matches last season IMO. In this match he was only decent. He was generally in the 'Herrera' position in those games last season though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought it was his sort of game today.
One where doing the absolute basics was plenty.

Wouldn't generally want to see him start too often, but he did well today.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I don’t know if it was a coincidence or not but we where more solid with a mobile and energetic dm then with Matic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He has a decent tactical understanding of the game and magnificent positional discipline defensively for a guy his age. Everything else is pretty much mediocre. Good game!
Basically this. Very unremarkable player, doesn’t seem to excel at much either, less the above post. That’s not to say that he can’t or won’t improve.

Just can’t see him making it at United long term, but Fletcher also only came into his own later on. So who knows.

Decent game today though. Sometimes you need unremarkable players to allow others to shine.

Steerpike

I don’t know if it was a coincidence or not but we where more solid with a mobile and energetic dm then with Matic.
I agree with that. I hope he gets a few more games, ideally in the Matic role, and it will be interesting to see if he can add to his range of passing as he gains experience and confidence.

Based Adnan

Solskjaer on Scott McTominay: ‘He’s another Darren Fletcher. He’s an academy lad, he knows what this is about, he’s played big games. You can ask him to do absolutely anything. He’s played centre back, he’s played striker, he’s played wingback, he’s played midfield.’

Pretty high praise from the boss

m1tch

Massive performance, feared the worst when the lineup was announced but every credit to him, didn’t look out of place in our side or the scousers.

Very difficult game to play your first full 90 for some time and deserves a lot of credit for his performance.
Agree with this entirely, he was asked to play a big role in the team today. He stepped up and did a great job. Very encouraging in regard to what he can do for us in the future.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He wasn't good at all, looked lost whenever he had the ball and Pogba came in deep to help. He actually looked better against them last season.
Don’t know what game you were watching. He was certainly better than Pogba.

Loublaze

ATLien
Wow, I don't know what game you were watching. McTominay wasn't terrible but he did nothing special, he sprayed a lot of useless sideways passes and looked scared whenever a Liverpool player came close to him. His usage of the ball was abysmal. He was better defensively, winning a few aerial challenges. Pogba was restricted when Herrera went off and was forced deep to see any of the ball. He did have a few efforts on goal and could've got an assist when his cross to Lukaku was saved. That was our second best chance of the game

roseguy64

He needs to start doing more with his passes forward. Not necessarily to take risks like Pogba but more risk is needed when he changes pace and the game opens up for him. A few times today he did a burst into open space and then played a side or back pass. Might have to do with confidence, idk.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His best 90 minutes today imo (half Scottish so pay a little more attention to his display than others).

Last year he had a few decent games but that was in far more defensive minded team.

With Herrera and Mata off he really had to step up mentally and he did really well in that respect.

Tapori

Top lad and you just watch, he'll prove to be vital in any success. Such players are vital to any squad. Will improve over the next few years and will peak between 27-30 where he will regularly be rotated during league and cup games and cover many midfield injuries or for specific tactical changes in matches. His heading and attacking during set-pieces will improve and his forward passing will improve.

What I liked best about him is that he kept it simple but his positioning and turning was often dependable.

FromTheBench

He was okay, but his reading of game and distribution for that position is mediocre.

dogwithabone

Did he - or can he - do anything Fellaini couldn't do ? Fellaini no doubt a lot dearer but far more a goal threat and creator of goals than McTominay looks.

I'm not really seeing anything too positive at the minute but happy to be proved wrong.

haram

He is not poor on the ball. He ultimately isn’t good enough on it to be a Man United starter but he is far from poor.

Negan

Did well today. Not a United quality player though.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Decent performance, shame he can't get proper match rhythm, perhaps it would be easier to judge the player's potential based on solid run of games.

SAF saw something and I hope it's not just a Scottish passport...

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He was tidy today but Liverpool's midfield is abysmally adventure-less. Klopp missed a trick by not moving Salah or Mane into the middle or bring on Shakiri when he went to Sturridge.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He was okay, but his reading of game and distribution for that position is mediocre.
“OK / mediocre” was a pleasant surprise especially given the size of the occasion and the general disruption

Can’t really complain although the team we ended up with showed the lack of depth of real quality we have in the squad.

RedorDead21

“OK / mediocre” was a pleasant surprise especially given the size of the occasion and the general disruption

Can’t really complain although the team we ended up with showed the lack of depth of real quality we have in the squad.
We have loads of depth for the front line and Defence when everyone is fit. Behind city only surely as a squad. Just silly amount of injuries today. If Fellaini had been replaced with an upgrade we could never really mention squad depth as an issue. Or if Fred was not out in the cold.....

Tarrou

Did he - or can he - do anything Fellaini couldn't do ? Fellaini no doubt a lot dearer but far more a goal threat and creator of goals than McTominay looks.

I'm not really seeing anything too positive at the minute but happy to be proved wrong.
What we needed most from Fellaini wasn't goal threat IMO, it was someone to come into midfield and cover injuries. McTominay did that today.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There’s a pitiful lack of appreciation here of what midfield play is about. Mostly it’s about defending space and tackling. It’s also about securing possession, opening up the play and setting the tempo of the team. Scott looks like a guy who can give us all that if he gets some game time.

I’m in a very small minority here in seeing this lad as a player (no problem with that, we all have opinions) but he is so much more of a natural midfielder than some (one in particular) of his more illustrious colleagues.

Then again he could be the next Cleverly and what do I know.

sam147

Is this a joke? Pogba was covering the whole left flank with Shaw and showed tremendous discipline. He was one our only players who was composed on the ball and showed strenght in midfield. McTominay did good relative to what a player like McTominay is capable of. He wasnt special. He was thrown into the deep end and showed spirit and deserves credit. However, it is absurd to say he played better than Pogba.

Aloysius's Back 3

As ole said - I think mctominnay can improve like fletcher did.

However it won't happen until we cover the holes in the squad. If we have players that can dictate our play in midfield more, creators & a DM then mctominnay can come fill in the gaps like fletcher used to do. Until then some of his weaknesses may show if he regularly plays for a midfield that needs to get better a s a whole

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wish he’d take a risk though, either driving forward or a forward pass, very negative player.
He did the basic right, keep it simple, with a really discipline performance i.e. never get caught out of position.

We need it in that makeshift midfielders against full strength Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.