6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdecuc

It's fine margins (as Ole says) and having McTominay in makes such a difference to us. Pereira is ok but those times he mis-controls or gives a wayward pass were putting us on the back foot and draining our confidence. McTominay is really solid and allows us to properly compete. We're a different team with him in there. Together with Fred's improvement of course. (Btw there's a player who seems to thrive in the big games when space in midfield is tight).

That's my take on a big part of the improvement in performance in the last 2 games.

As a player McTominay's a great combination now of great physicality and really good football. Great to see.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Quickly becoming the physical presence we’ve been lacking for years and it’s great to have someone in the team with a bit of the devil in him.

Not scared of anyone and him shoving Kane away from Andreas earlier in the season showed this.

.We now have an enforcer so I’m loving him at the minute, and he’s not letting us down.

Fracture90

Very big performance from him today, he did a bit of everything. He seems to have quite good understanding with Fred, can't wait to see the MF trio of MCT, Fredo and Pogba.

TheReligion

Abusive
Great mentality. Notice he's first in to stick up for his team mates. When Fred was getting abused and struck by objects in the corner noticed he went over and was clearly saying something to the crowd. Ederson and Fernandinho then shoved him away.

He's got the fire in him. Just need it to catch to a few others in the side.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's grown as the season has gone along, and yesterday was the culmination of that. Excellent performance, and you can always tell it means more to the local lads.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I thought he was all fire and energy when I first saw him in the first team. But he is such an intelligent footballer. His ability to drive the ball and his passing have improved ten fold in the last year. I feel so much more confident when his name is on the team sheet.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love that he sometimes put so much force into his forward passes, like it's just to make a point it seems :lol: I love that, that is real leadership cause our whole team usually get content with low tempo games. He drives the whole team on.

RedIan

No coincidence that we were crap when he was out and now hes back we beat spurs and City - what i loved yesterday was after the second goal alll of teh players were in a huddle and it was McT giving out the team talk. Future captain For sure.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Honestly that was the best performance I've seen from a United midfielder this decade. Solid in the tackle, intercepted well, recycled possession well. If he keeps that up he'll be a star player.

As United fans you may not notice it, but as a neutral, it's clear he's such a diver which is weird considering the position and role he plays :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly that was the best performance I've seen from a United midfielder this decade. Solid in the tackle, intercepted well, recycled possession well. If he keeps that up he'll be a star player.

As United fans you may not notice it, but as a neutral, it's clear he's such a diver which is weird considering the position and role he plays :lol:
I can't speak for everyone but I certainly have. He's one of the most fouled players in the world and I'm not surprised. He's very good at positioning his body between the ball and the opposition player, looking for said oppo player to make the slightest bit of contact so he can go down.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No coincidence that his return has coincided with our performances in the last 2 games - fantastic game all round, bossed it.
We'd have smashed Villa and Sheffield if he was playing, no doubt in my mind. Him and Fred have won their last 6/7 games together I believe.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Scott McTominay is the kind of player that will splinter his broken leg with stick and a bit of rope and put on his boots. The kid is here to play ball.

I have a feeling McTominay will be the kind of player that stays in the club his entire career, retiring a club icon on the same level as Scholes. 10 years preemptive, but let's see where he goes.

criticalanalysis

One of the things which I’m still not able to internalize is his ability to take on a dribble and come out on top or win a FK.

He definitely doesn’t come out as a dribbler but somehow manages it.
Very intelligent and mature game from him. Hope he can go on to reach at least Fletcher or Butt levels. May be Carrick level if he can focus and is a bit fortunate with injuries (and managers).

edit: can be a future captain (I’d say 20-30% chance)
He's got a good touch, quick feet and he uses his frame really well. Don't forget one of his strides is twice the range compared to others so once he gets a pass, takes a touch and get its out of his feet, he's already 1-2 yards away from a pressing player. When he plays it smart as he has been, it forces other players to take swipes at his feet because no way are they going to out muscle him shoulder to shoulder!

Lj82

There was a moment in the 2nd half where he bought a foul right out on the touchline. The crowd groaned, Angelino threw a strop and then McT cracked a big smile at the home fans.

Love this kid.
He actually has a bit of gamesmanship about him. When he draws a foul, he makes sure the ref sees it and calls it. I think Jose hinted at it after the game too, in a complimentary way.

fps

Scott McTominay is the kind of player that will splinter his broken leg with stick and a bit of rope and put on his boots. The kid is here to play ball.

I have a feeling McTominay will be the kind of player that stays in the club his entire career, retiring a club icon on the same level as Scholes. 10 years preemptive, but let's see where he goes.
I like the guy, but club legends at a club this size are key players in teams that win league titles and champions leagues. He is in his first full season as a first 1xi player in a team which has put together united’s worst league start for 30 years. He is doing well and improving, I am excited to think he may continue to progress and really cement himself as an excellent pl midfielder. But let’s just try to get back to the top 4 and then see how we go.

Walters_19_MuFc

Kind of running out of things to say about him. He's arguably our most important player. Another top class performance from him.

RuudTom83

Having a thin squad and not challenging for the league gives the likes of Scott a massive chance to gain experience in the first team. Where other players from the past would simply never get due to limited chances in a team challenging for the league.

In 2-3 seasons we will look back and realise how valuable playing every week was for Scott and the likes of Rashford/James etc.

Stadjer

He actually has a bit of gamesmanship about him. When he draws a foul, he makes sure the ref sees it and calls it. I think Jose hinted at it after the game too, in a complimentary way.
Personally i dont like that part. When he is fouled he will pretend to be in a lot of pain. All that faking injuries and play acting is something i just dont like... it is one of the main reasons i never liked Guardiola his Barcelona or Spanish football in general. Those Mourinho vs Pep classico's were just the worst.

I know it is 'professional footballer' behaviour, smart and 'it is about winning no matter how' but i dont like to see it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
One of the things which I’m still not able to internalize is his ability to take on a dribble and come out on top or win a FK.

He definitely doesn’t come out as a dribbler but somehow manages it. Very intelligent and mature game from him. Hope he can go on to reach at least Fletcher or Butt levels. May be Carrick level if he can focus and is a bit fortunate with injuries (and managers).

edit: can be a future captain (I’d say 20-30% chance)
Only 8 midfielders have more successful dribbles per game or per 90 mins. Out of that players like David Silva, KdB, Maddison are more attacking midfielders than CMs.

He is very underrated when it comes to his skill on the ball, not very good passer of the ball but he carries the ball so well.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He seems to be very active off the pitch, but in the way you want him to be. He'll have a long and prosperous career at United. Model Man Utd player through and through. Good kid. Like Rashford. Very involved with the community.

MyDevil

Hope he stays out of injuries. The first midfield player I will put on the team sheet week in week out.

KennyBurner

If he improves his passing we have a solid midfielder on our hands. he knows how to hit a ball on the ground but sometimes just randomly passes it forward into opposition. He also came back at the right time for Tottenham and City. Hopefully he doesn't get injured again.

Cant wait to see a trio of Pogba Fred and Mctominay.

Mr PG

Most people here always derided Scott or have him back-handed compliments... even when Jose was singing him praises.

I doubt most understand primary role of a midfielder. You just have to look at Liverpool midfield with milner, Wynaldum, etc who basically do the same job as Scott and I would pick him above those two.

romufc

Most people here always derided Scott or have him back-handed compliments... even when Jose was singing him praises.

I doubt most understand primary role of a midfielder. You just have to look at Liverpool midfield with milner, Wynaldum, etc who basically do the same job as Scott and I would pick him above those two.
Exactly. Many on here have said he isn't all that his passing is peak etc.

However; It is about a year since he broke into the team and the improvement has been immense.

He isn't the finished article but at 22 no one is. His passing will improve and together with his aggression and passion he seems to be the first name in the team sheet.

Why would we want a £70m Declan Rice, when Scott can do the same and more?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We are very light in midfield so this makes a lot of sense
It does, but it's not like we played CBs and strikers in midfield either, it was mostly players who are supposed to play their position anyway during the season.

mjstokes85

This boy is real class, and you can tell from his post match interviews he actually has a brain. If his passing and decision making improve with age, which it will, he will be the first name on the team sheet for years to come.

OleTheGreat

A player gets his own song only when he wins over the hearts of the fans and i think Scott was booed for passing backwards during the Mourinho era and Jose himself stuck by the youngster's side and said that he's a great kid and has amazing potential. Everybody including myself doubted that but he has proved us all wrong this season. He's played regularly and we miss him dearly when he's not playing. I cannot wait for Pogba to step into this team now and become the pivotal point in attack because i think Pogba can break teams and that's our only problem right now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It does, but it's not like we played CBs and strikers in midfield either, it was mostly players who are supposed to play their position anyway during the season.
Who we know are sub standard. Didn't take a rock scientist to know with Pogba and McTominay out we would struggle

Alexit

I used to think of him as sideways Scott the limited passer; not any more. He's improved considerably and he'll only get better. For me he seems to have come from nowhere, I didn't expect him to be this important for us.

COME ON UNITED! :devil:

A-man

I used to think of him as sideways Scott the limited passer; not any more. He's improved considerably and he'll only get better. For me he seems to have come from nowhere, I didn't expect him to be this important for us.

COME ON UNITED! :devil:
The improvements he has made are insane,. I didn't see this coming one year ago. I think the injuries last season and this season in the midfield, were a blessing in disguise, because they gave McT minutes and responsibility without having to take all the pressure.

poleglass red

when we scored the 2nd goal, you can see him barking instructions to the lads who had huddled around Rashford. Great to finally see some much needed leadership. His progression this season has been very satisfying

Status
Not open for further replies.