Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Centre Back playing in midfield. Useful player, I'd even say he's OK in the EPL against many teams. But clearly not good enough to be a core of the team.

Manny

Grammar Police
Pointless in a game like this. Just doesn't have enough in his locker to impact the game at this level, unless he's looking to spoil

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Didnt think he was anywhere near "bad" today. Anonymous in the 1st thirty mins but after that was a... fine?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Centre Back playing in midfield. Useful player, I'd even say he's OK in the EPL against many teams. But clearly not good enough to be a core of the team.
Would he be better than Maguire or Lindelof in defence then? :lol:

Idxomer

Fred carries him a lot in their partnership which makes people think he's playing better than what he actually shows on the pitch.

acnumber9

If you start players like McTominay regularly don’t be surprised if you can’t get out of your Champions League group.

acnumber9

Didnt think he was anywhere near "bad" today. Anonymous in the 1st thirty mins but after that was a... fine?
A midfielder can’t afford to be anonymous. And the problem with McTominay is he so often is. Reminds me of Schneiderlin a little. He’s the kind of player you throw in a three man midfield when your backs are against the wall. Starting games you need to win or seek control in? No chance.

Cabin Clown

Can't believe he was selected to start. He's not good enough. He was anonymous in the first half and offers absolutely nothing going forward. Starting him ahead of VDB is shocking to me as it's a mirage that he offers something magically tactically that someone like Pogs or Donny doesn't.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Fred carries him a lot in their partnership which makes people think he's playing better than what he actually shows on the pitch.
Yep. It's been starting to change recently, but for ages people have been talking about the Fred-McTominay partnership as if they are equals in there. McTominay is a decent partner for him in certain games, but he doesn't have anywhere close to the all-round game that Fred does so can't really replace him when played next to anyone else. He doesn't have the pressing ability, the ball-playing ability or the off-the-ball movement that Fred brings.

He had a poor game tonight but unfortunately he was still comfortably better than his central midfield partner. Matic was decent in the second half but I swear he didn't bother coming out for the first 45 minutes. I said before the game I was worried about how that partnership would go as they both rely quite heavily on Fred covering for them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems to have regressed a bit. He looked very solid for a while. Not seen a decent performance from him for a while now

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like him, he's an excellent player in certain games but man, he's so average on the ball. I want so much more from a United midfielder. I think having another coaching would help him, in all honesty. He's not improving his game much, or at all.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He's picked the wrong time to drop his level. Poor for the last couple. Bereft without his Freddie.

kundalini

Good performance overall. A couple of poor passes but did most things well. Decent shot that was saved.

Super through-ball to Rashford, only for Marcus to take a terrible first touch, that wasted the opening. Good key pass to Mason for his shot that was saved in the 2nd half.

Left foot shot late on was rubbish. Almost got on the end of Fernandes' super wide free-kick that went across the face of the goal.

Last edited:

El Zoido

Can't believe he was selected to start. He's not good enough. He was anonymous in the first half and offers absolutely nothing going forward. Starting him ahead of VDB is shocking to me as it's a mirage that he offers something magically tactically that someone like Pogs or Donny doesn't.
The idea is that he’s aggressive and disrupts the opposition midfield, except.. he doesn’t. He’s a simple “does a job” midfielder, I actually quite like him as a squad player, but the team isn’t in a great position to integrate him currently. If Fred was available he either wouldn’t have played, or would have had the protection from Fred to be able to do his job more effectively, which seems to be to mop up and play simple balls out wide. Not the worst player tonight, and had some good moments.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
A midfielder can’t afford to be anonymous. And the problem with McTominay is he so often is. Reminds me of Schneiderlin a little. He’s the kind of player you throw in a three man midfield when your backs are against the wall. Starting games you need to win or seek control in? No chance.
He wasn't anonymous in the last 60 though... objectively did more than most in our revival.

Easy thing to say, but if he smashes the ball home when he had the chance he's a hero.

I find it hard to criticism our front 5, 6, 7 players. We didn't score a great goal but did score twice and hit the bar. It's our defence that our shambles.

SMT isn't a player I think needs to be ejected out the club. He's not Scholes, he's not Keane, and he's not 18 anymore. But he's fine.

Feel like we see the best of McT in high octane PL matches, such as derbies and games where the opposition is expected to have most of the ball and he can simply sit deep and break up attacks/snap around the opposition’s ankles to press them.

In other types of games, he’s extremely inconsistent.

acnumber9

He wasn't anonymous in the last 60 though... objectively did more than most in our revival.

Easy thing to say, but if he smashes the ball home when he had the chance he's a hero.

I find it hard to criticism our front 5, 6, 7 players. We didn't score a great goal but did score twice and hit the bar. It's our defence that our shambles.

SMT isn't a player I think needs to be ejected out the club. He's not Scholes, he's not Keane, and he's not 18 anymore. But he's fine.
Our defence is a shambles, but McTominay is picked to help the defence and he just didn’t do it. I like him, you can’t doubt his effort and it’s not his fault he isn’t quite good enough but that’s the reality for me. We won’t be progressing if he continues to be first choice in central midfield. I don’t think he needs to leave either. He needs to be what his level is. A fourth or fifth choice.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Feel like we see the best of McT in high octane PL matches, such as derbies and games where the opposition is expected to have most of the ball and he can simply sit deep and break up attacks/snap around the opposition’s ankles to press them.

In other types of games, he’s extremely inconsistent.
He needs to have obvious and easy passing options and he'll do fine. Fred is that man for him. If we play high distance between midfield and strikers, he looks lost.

He created a chance for Rashford by interception in midfield and had a decent shot. Sure we can upgrade on him but I doubt it'll stop us from conceding goals.

Our defence is a shambles, but McTominay is picked to help the defence and he just didn’t do it. I like him, you can’t doubt his effort and it’s not his fault he isn’t quite good enough but that’s the reality for me. We won’t be progressing if he continues to be first choice in central midfield. I don’t think he needs to leave either. He needs to be what his level is. A fourth or fifth choice.
You think so? I believe vast majority of the goals we concede, ball comes from the side. I'm not sure how upgrading on DM solves that issue.

NinjaFletch

If you start players like McTominay regularly don’t be surprised if you can’t get out of your Champions League group.
I mean, yeah, this.

I like McTominay well enough, but I don't know if I should be liking him as a Manchester United player.

Ultimately, our back 7 tonight was Telles, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Matic, and McTominay. No one can be surprised that that combination of players struggled to play football.

Wayne's World

I'm going to stick up for Scott. There is certain games when we give away possession and need to cover grass on the pitch and have ability to read the game which I do think he's good at. Problem is you receive 60% possession then he is absolutely useless as his passing range is awful.

Games against the likes of City and Liverpool is the games where he's very useful but when you are playing the likes of West Ham, Fulham, West Brom then there is no use to him

Mcking

Replace this guy with Jack Cork or James McCarthy, and no one would notice.

Web of Bissaka

Terrible game.

Not surprising when we spent the game more on chasing leads after 2 early quick free goals gifts.
Each time we're chasing the game or given plenty of possessions, expect McT to be useless to have on the pitch.

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

:lol: To be fair with Ole, with Fred suspended, there's not much choice now is there.

Choose 2 options:
A) Pogba,
B) Matic,
C) McT,
D) Donny

Not picking McT and instead any two of the other 3 would meant poor protection to our fragile defense so...

Skills

Snitch
They both carry each other i.e. covering each other's weaknesses.
How? What does McTominay bring to that partnership?

Fred's looked good next to both Matic and Pogba too (in fact both of them look much better when they're partnered with Fred).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact that Mctomminay is starting for United is not his fault.

I like him and I congratulate him for making the step up through the youth levels up to the first team and in my eyes he is good enough to be in the first 23.

However, the fact he is playing so many games in the first 11 shows how poor our transfers have been and how bad it is we are still going without a DOF at this club. Nothing will change until the fans force that to change..

Adam-Utd

He's a destroyer first and foremost. Can't pass well enough to ever be at the top of Europe i'm afraid.

He seems a great guy and works very hard but that's just the simple truth. The minute Pogba came on he showed exactly what's required to be a top midfielder.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He hides sometimes. Which negates his biggest strength of being a terrier.

Ok as a squad player. Nothing more. C-tec Nicky Butt.

He’s always been overrated on here but has actually regressed since last season. If he’s not a DM & he’s not a box to box, what is he? Because he’s certainly not a playmaker.

Last edited:

GlasgowCeltic

I’m sure Ole would love to get to a point where the team only needs one DM to function rather than two, but I suspect for him that one will be McTom

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Poor coaching leaving a world class talent and arguably the player with the highest ceiling on the field on the bench for Scott, and even worse coaching not making the sub immediately after 2-0 when it was clear that playing a work horse like Scott instead of a football player like Pogba had already failed.

Craig Ward

He's a destroyer first and foremost. Can't pass well enough to ever be at the top of Europe i'm afraid.

He seems a great guy and works very hard but that's just the simple truth. The minute Pogba came on he showed exactly what's required to be a top midfielder.
He's a destroyer who doesnt destroy though. He;s limited in what he can do, ability wise. Even if McTom played to 100% of his ability for the whole game - he still wouldnt be good enough to warrant a starting place in a man utd midfield.

I'm struggling to see what benefit he brings to the team at all. He's a very very average midfielder.

The bolded part of your comment is so far from the truth. Pogba is a waste of space

Adam-Utd

He's a destroyer who doesnt destroy though. He;s limited in what he can do, ability wise. Even if McTom played to 100% of his ability for the whole game - he still wouldnt be good enough to warrant a starting place in a man utd midfield.

I'm struggling to see what benefit he brings to the team at all. He's a very very average midfielder.

The bolded part of your comment is so far from the truth. Pogba is a waste of space
It's not though is it, Pogba is an idiot but he's a good player. He immediately made the difference when he came on and Matic went off.

Adam-Utd

Ah another clueless Pogba fanboy. Wake up
:lol: you tell me to wake up and you can't even admit he played well. Very strange man.

I'm not happy with the recent developments either but you can't just lie and pretend he was bad because you don't like him.

FerociousCorgis

bang average player at best. Ideally would be loaned throughout the french league to whichever team is scheduled to play psg so he can wind them up. Would be the most sought after player in the french league.

Craig Ward

:lol: you tell me to wake up and you can't even admit he played well. Very strange man.

I'm not happy with the recent developments either but you can't just lie and pretend he was bad because you don't like him.
He's not a very good footballer, thats fact

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Shouldn’t be starting games of that nature - probably wouldn’t have if Fred could’ve played or if the Pogba situation wasn’t a shower of shit.

I would’ve still played DVB but I guess he’s also deemed not good enough in a 2 man midfield.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's not a very good footballer, thats fact
I can’t stand Pogba and look forward to new beginnings with out him but stop kidding yourself, he is a good footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.