Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Scott was good at beating the press today I thought. Wan Bissaka is a far bigger problem in that sense.

This is all a moot point anyway considering Scott is our deepest midfielder and it's a position Van de Beek has literally never played.
The point is to play a more progressive midfielder so that the deepest midfielder would be Fred.

Based Adnan

The point is to play a more progressive midfielder so that the deepest midfielder would be Fred.
Having Fred as the deepest midfielder takes away his biggest strength which is his mobility and him going "wandering" to chase down the ball. We've tried him there before and it doesn't work. You need someone behind him holding to get the best out of him.

In our squad at the moment the only choices to play there are Matic and Scott.

Raven

Thought he carried the ball well, tidy in all other aspects. Pretty happy with his performance today.

Devil may care

He's just very mediocre, a couple of levels below Fred who isn't top drawer himself. The fact City didn't apply the press today suited our fridges.

RooneyLegend

Reminds me of Jedinak who used to play for Palace. A big guy who can't play but stops others from playing. It's a pity we resort to these types of players bit at least he does what it says on the tin.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Like I said in the post PSG thread, he's a defender playing in midfield. Looks much more comfortable on the right in back 3, when he can join the midfield and has passing options.

Hopefully next games we will see more of VdB in midfield, although McTominay did well today.

Dve

I like when he drives forward with the ball, which we haver seen more of lately. Important to have a DM that can break the lines with the ball in his feet, makes it a lot easier to play out from the back. I want to see more of that. McTominay also have a good shot, and it´s a shame he does not come into shooting positions more often. Overall, I don´t mind seeing McTominay getting a run of games, I think there is more to come.

Kuba

he was perfect...

for a 10-15 place team who battles in every match yeah he fights a lot but after he get the ball he is clueless what to do nad most often he loses it we won't make any progress playing with 2 midfielders who cant create anything. We need midfield player who is able to Play on his own nad has killer pass between the lines and that allows Pogba or VdB to Play as a 8 a little further and change that extra midfield player for another forward and FFS please stop playing Rashford in other position than LF because he will never be a central forward player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thought he carried the ball well, tidy in all other aspects. Pretty happy with his performance today.
Exactly my sentiments. He showed some composure and cleverness today, especially in the first half. Hopefully he can play himself back into some decent form.

Teja

Thought he did very well, it's not easy to evade the City press - was able to carry the ball under pressure nicely. Him and Fred should be the nailed down starting CMs (assuming Pogba leaves) and can do the dirty work of pressing, keeping the ball under pressure and linking the defence to attack.

Bruno, Rashford, Martial and the RW can go about the business of putting the ball in the back of the net.

Banana Republic

I thought he played a very useful role today.
It was a good performance, breaking up play and beating the City press.
In the first half he was popping up all over and being very effective and tidy.
In his post match interview, Pep mentioned McTominey and Fred as being a concern to them before the game and gave him credit for his part in stifling City’s play today.

Without McT, Fred would be left exposed and easily outmuscled in the DM role as he’s far too lightweight and easily steamrollered by faster and physical stronger opponents.
Having Scott there allows Fred to do what he does best.
We don’t have anyone else who can fill the role apart from Matic, who’s too slow and needs a quicker and more mobile CDM partner alongside him.

I do think there are a number on here who are giving Scott unfair criticism and are set in their mind against the lad. There does seem to be an agenda.
There was another earlier match a few weeks ago, where he played quite well, nothing spectacular though; but he misplaced two or three passes, which were nothing in the context of the game, but the knives were out and he was accused of having a shit game, was rubbish etc.
Pathetic really.

Grande

I thought he played a very useful role today.
It was a good performance, breaking up play and beating the City press.
In the first half he was popping up all over and being very effective and tidy.
In his post match interview, Pep mentioned McTominey and Fred as being a concern to them before the game and gave him credit for his part in stifling City’s play today.

Without McT, Fred would be left exposed and easily outmuscled in the DM role as he’s far too lightweight and easily steamrollered by faster and physical stronger opponents.
Having Scott there allows Fred to do what he does best.
We don’t have anyone else who can fill the role apart from Matic, who’s too slow and needs a quicker and more mobile CDM partner alongside him.

I do think there are a number on here who are giving Scott unfair criticism and are set in their mind against the lad. There does seem to be an agenda.
There was another earlier match a few weeks ago, where he played quite well, nothing spectacular though; but he misplaced two or three passes, which were nothing in the context of the game, but the knives were out and he was accused of having a shit game, was rubbish etc.
Pathetic really.
Another good game from McTom, I thought. City were unusually cautious against us today. I think a lot of our forward players are not on top form (Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Pogba) or a bit worn out or injured (Bruno and Cavani), otherwise I think we’d have beaten Pep again.

Web of Bissaka

Big game = McT performed well as expected.
Did his job being a spoiler and breakings up things.

That neat team play one-twos with AWB and Bruno he first instigated :drool: "shit on the ball eh", alas Bruno's long through pass in the end didn't get through.

MS4

One of the best games this season.
When i was talking to my TV-Screen i found myself applauding him every couple of minutes. Even my girlfriend was asking me why i am so positive today

rakesh289

One of his best games, destroyed city's counters and was the ball carrier from deep wriggling out of tight spots and passing to the front 4.
Great first touch and awareness of space around him. Wish he could have gotten to the ball in the beginning would have been a great goal. Looked like the mctominay before injury, long may it continue.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s frustrating watching him play. He picks up the ball in positions where if he had some Ajax coaching he would be transformational. Always takes a first touch negatively - never on a turn. Rarely drives the ball into the open space created by his positioning. He leaves so much on the table. It’s frustrating because he has the physical attributes to play like that.

He’s just a coward happy in a comfort zone.

lex talionis

A very solid performance. Every club needs a player or two like McTominay. I just wish he had a bit more invention in his game.

always_hoping

One of his better games this season, showed plenty of heart and fight. A crowd in Old Trafford would have appreciated his effort.

roseguy64

If that’s how you saw it, fair enough. I thought he was woeful on the ball, and as I said, not even attempting to find space despite being left utterly alone by the City press. I thought Fred (who I do not rate at all, which appears to be a minority view here) had a more impactful performance, not by much. Bruno I thought looked to do what he always does. But with an out of sort Rashford not much came off.
Fred was barely in the game. There were periods where Lindelof and Maguire avoided giving Fred the ball. McTominay was much better. Him and Pogba were the only effective players of the front 6.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It’s frustrating watching him play. He picks up the ball in positions where if he had some Ajax coaching he would be transformational. Always takes a first touch negatively - never on a turn. Rarely drives the ball into the open space created by his positioning. He leaves so much on the table. It’s frustrating because he has the physical attributes to play like that.

Dont know what you are watching but he does try and take the ball on the turn with a view to play forward, his body language when setting up to receive shows that very clearly but against pressing sides like City he was under pressure even before the ball got to him and would have to play the safer pass, nothing wrong with that.
Im not sure if you noticed some of his plays that were forward? He had a part in most of our best attacks because he either played forward or drove forward, in those attacks, also he played a few smart one touch passes to enable forward play. I just completely disagree that he always took a negative touch, maybe you need to have a look at the reasons why he would take a negative touch when he did and then remember to make a note of all the times he makes a positive touch. In todays game anyway there more more positives than negatives.
I think there is a massive amount of confirmation bias going on in these match day threads that is so similar to Fletchers time. Today if McT made a mistake there were a chorus of complaints from a dozen or more people in the thread within moments of those mistakes but amusingly none of those who complained at any mistake made a peep anytime he did anything well and in this game he had plenty of good moments. I dont think he is or will be as good as Fletcher became for us but it is seriously noticeable the same sort of thing is happening here.
The word coward is one that was chucked at Fletcher too, its a shitty term fans use for their own players.

roseguy64

I wouldn't agree with the wording of this but I see more in him agreed. He needs to make more of his skills in the attacking phase. Too timid at times to take advantage of the space unless he's wriggled out of the press and then drives with the ball up the field. Should be doing that outside of those situations and also get involved more with triangles and one twos.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's probably a tad over promoted right now (he'd be great as CM number 4 compared to the 2.5 he is right now). Did anybody notice some sexy jinks and touches yesterday in the second half? I need to see more of that because they were actually productive.

Green_Red

Get the feck out with the Park insult.

There's a reason why Park has been part of some of our best counter attacking goals.
Nice revisionism of Parks contribution to a United team he was never a starter for. Great squad man, no doubt, a bit like McT is becoming for us.

elmo

Nice revisionism of Parks contribution to a United team he was never a starter for. Great squad man, no doubt, a bit like McT is becoming for us.
Park was playing in a United team filled with world class attackers and it said a lot that Sir Alex trusted him to start in plenty of games against the big clubs. Scott wouldn't even make the bench in those days and yet he's a starter in the current team. If we're looking based on starts, yes Scott would look more impressive than Park, but if we're actually comparing who has contributed more to the club, Park beats Scott all day.

Green_Red

Park was playing in a United team filled with world class attackers and it said a lot that Sir Alex trusted him to start in plenty of games against the big clubs. Scott wouldn't even make the bench in those days and yet he's a starter in the current team. If we're looking based on starts, yes Scott would look more impressive than Park, but if we're actually comparing who has contributed more to the club, Park beats Scott all day.
Both serve the same purpose. Anti football. Find me some world class assists or goals by Park. He scored 19 times in 134 games. Hardly evidence of some attacking prowess is it. When he played it was when we needed to pack the midfield with running to stop other teams getting an edge. Any other description of his contribution to United is a lie and revisionism. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate his contribution to United whilst he was here.

jem

One of his better games this season, showed plenty of heart and fight. A crowd in Old Trafford would have appreciated his effort.
It might be a bit reductive, but I wonder if McTominay is the kind of player who has been affected by the absence of a crowd.

TrustInOle

I think his ball control and carrying are underated, as is his passing in tight situations. I have seen him do what him and AWB did down the right yesterday on multiple occasions and he suits playing with AWB as he helps him push forward quite alot. He isn't a diamond but there is a very good player there I have no problem being part of our squad going forward.

Never seems to be affected by the occasion either, whether it's Neymar, Mpappe or Sterling, sometimes seems to take it as a personal challenges which I love in his mentality.

archiebald

Good squad player to have against certain teams, nothing more or less. Good work ethic, but his mediocrity on the ball and poor passing range means he'll never be a consistent starter for us. Think he's best when we have to set up to hit on counters as his energy really helps in tracking runners.

thepolice123

He's just saying they are both bench players, what is so hard to understand?

No offence to Park but he would struggle to even make our current bench. Not because our team is better but because he was there for a specific tactical set-up.

elmo

He's just saying they are both bench players, what is so hard to understand?

No offence to Park but he would struggle to even make our current bench. Not because our team is better but because he was there for a specific tactical set-up.
Park would easily start for us on the right if he's playing in the current squad.

And my point is that he had shown in PSV that he can take up a more attacking role if needed. The only reason he took on a more defensive role with us is because he was up against Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani.

Scott wouldn't even be good enough to get 50 appearances for us if he had to compete for a spot in that squad.

3KDré

Might sound odd but I think he should play right back. When AWB pushes up he goes into that role as it is and when we are holding a lot of the ball he goes into that channel often to help build-up play. He is a better one-touch passer than Wan Bissaka, not as good 1v1 obviously but there are many more aspects to defending than 1v1s. The only real part of a right-back's game we haven't seen from him his crossing, but with more time and space than in midfield (where he sometimes struggles with passing), I think he could do well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Park would easily start for us on the right if he's playing in the current squad.

And my point is that he had shown in PSV that he can take up a more attacking role if needed. The only reason he took on a more defensive role with us is because he was up against Rooney, Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani.

Scott wouldn't even be good enough to get 50 appearances for us if he had to compete for a spot in that squad.
That's because we all remember the good bits from their game. He played 87 games in Dutch league contributing to 27 goals and he was around 24-25 when we signed him. Caf would moan for months if we signed attacking player who is 25 from Dutch league with those stats.

He scored 4 goals in CL in 54 games.

Park was loved for his work rate, he was good player too with good technical ability but he would have got shit loads of abuse if he played now with those stats and any manager who starts him would have got criticism too saying manager lacks balls, playing defensive player in attacking positions.

Park was played defensive role because he wasn't good enough attacker for ManUtd.

Also Darron fecking Gibson played 60 games for us, McTominay would have easily played as many games considering he is a CM and we barely signed a CM for years.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I always think our best midfield is McT playing alongside Fred and Bruno but out of the 3, McT is the one I’d replace and upgrade with a better, more defensively minded MF.

McT is a great squad option but I’m not sure there are any more huge improvements to come from him. But as a squad member, very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.