5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshanks

Cavani I believe - not that he should be in any way blamed for that. That one is all on Lindelof.
De gea sliced a pass straight to a villareal player, we managed to win it back but then pogba needlessly gave it away trying to play a Hollywood pass straight through one of there players. Then cavani made the foul, and between lindelof bailly and de gea who failed to deal with a floaty free kick from 40 yards that actually bounced in the penalty area 8 yards out. The less said about that goal the better only 5 or 6 individual mistakes that actually led to it.

On Mctom who was brilliant wining tackles, driving through midfield even played a few nice passes exactly what you want from him, very much let down by the 5 players infront of him IMO.

United in sin

His performance against the Czech republic was really poor. Scotland had a lot of possession but did nothing productive. It was the sort of performance you'd see from him at United playing against teams that grant him space because his passing doesn't cause any problems

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Was he playing as a sole DM before moving to the back 3? I have to say, from what I have seen, he is being used quite weirdly, considering on of his biggest strengths is driving with the ball. Looked very rigid today.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His performance against the Czech republic was really poor. Scotland had a lot of possession but did nothing productive. It was the sort of performance you'd see from him at United playing against teams that grant him space because his passing doesn't cause any problems
Barely touched the ball. He has a tendency to hide for us too. We all know he’s limited ability wise, but last thing he should be doing is hiding.

United in sin

Barely touched the ball. He has a tendency to hide for us too. We all know he’s limited ability wise, but last thing he should be doing is hiding.
He hides a lot, makes 1-3 useless runs into the box and gets decent ratings from most posters on here frequently. His goals don't make up for his overall lack of meaningful contributions. I don't see the point of McTominay at a 'top' club

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Was he playing as a sole DM before moving to the back 3? I have to say, from what I have seen, he is being used quite weirdly, considering on of his biggest strengths is driving with the ball. Looked very rigid today.
Yes he started as the sole DM shielding the defence. It was a carbon copy of when he's tried to play there for us, the game totally passed him by. He never once got on the ball to help build up, when he did rarely get it, it was a quick 5 yard pass to the nearest player. When the Czech had the ball they bypassed him with ease too. He had an utterly nightmare match out there unfortunately. Shame.

Why Clarke had him playing that position to begin with is beyond me. They had the perfect player in Gilmour on the bench, then they could have played McTominay further ahead, actually started to get the best out of him, and maybe had an actual chance in the match.

Last edited:

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers
I remember the big discussion when he chose Scotland over England. I think he chose wisely. If he'd picked England there is no way he'd be at these championships, let alone a starter.

United in sin

I remember the big discussion when he chose Scotland over England. I think he chose wisely. If he'd picked England there is no way he'd be at these championships, let alone a starter.
I think he chose Scotland because of Southgates puny attempts to have him declare for England.

Brian McClair stated that only Scotland were truly trying, with Alex McCleish actually visiting Carrington to meet McTominay while Southgate only sent him a text.

I don't think McTominay would've had a seat on the plane for England at this tournament

DavelinaJolie

Really interesting article in The Athletic by McTominay about playing in midfield and the coaching/players at Utd.

AgentSmith

It's a great read.

That’s a fantastic article. McTominay speaks with a confidence and depth of knowledge of someone 10 years his senior.

Brilliant attitude to have in the dressing room despite whatever misgivings their may be about his first XI suitability. Ideal squad player at a minimum with the potential for more.

El B

I didn't think it was particularly insightful. Its all very general platitudes about Pogba or Bruno, very general talk about analysis and very general talk about how they don't have specific jobs but they do have roles (which is the same thing).

The work with Carrick, Fletcher and McKenna can't be that good anyway when he's getting bypassed in midfield on the reg.

People seem to set a very low bar with him. It's OK to expect better.

mu4c_20le

Yes he grew into the role. Seems like a slow learner, but an honest and hard working lad.

Trezeguet17

Great performance!
He should be played as a CB exclusively.
He could become a Rio-esque defender.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I think Scotland would be doing even better if they had him in midfield
Possibly but he's pretty decent at cb as well. Can't remember him playing cb too much for us but might be a good option in a pinch.
Che Adams surely. Has bamboozled Stones and Mings with his movement but just can’t finish.
Adams has been solid but it's one of the scottish center backs for me.

Roboc7

Scotland midfield looks much better without him, done ok in the end as a CB but fortunate not to have gifted England a goal.

Trequarista10

Great performance!
He should be played as a CB exclusively.
He could become a Rio-esque defender.
He's very much on the front foot when defending which isn't ideal for a CB. His instinct is to press rather than cover space. Has a tendency to lose his man when they run in behind him as he's too focused on the ball. Basically, he's a ball winning midfielder.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Don't see it at all. As a CB, let midfielders run past him twice in the first half and should have been punished. Also got tackled on the edge of his own area, never a good look.

England kind of refused to attack for some reason, which I feel made him look better than he is.

For a midfielder playing in the back 3, he was given acres of space but never really passed it progressively, which is what I'd expect from a CMF back there.

Dunno, he was mediocre for me.

Xaviboy

Think he make a great right back option for utd. Decent on the ball load of energy and can drive forward.

Abraxas

I'm quite interested in his development for Scotland. This really could be a natural position for him if we ever use that formation more regularly.

He's average on the ball for a mid but for a back 3? He would be considered excellent and he has the ability to carry the ball which is so valuable in that formation. The right frame and mobility to play that role. Surely only a matter of experience and he could be really good there.

I don't think he was especially amazing or poor tonight but the raw tools for that job could be there whereas in mid, it's always a question mark.

Ekeke

Did a decent job at CB which I think he could in a 3 at United. Nothing spectacular though and not the answer to our defensive issue

United in sin

Gilmour is better than he is in the middle and that's why he started there against England of all teams even though he has very little experience. Sterling showed that McTominay is not a proper CB when he stole the ball off him and nutmegged him easily in the first half to create a goal scoring opportunity . England should've exploited his side.

McTominay is shoehorned into the Scottish starting lineup mostly as a CB these days because they have better midfield options. He did grow into the game

Gilmour is better than he is in the middle and that's why he started there against England of all teams even though he has very little experience. Sterling showed that McTominay is not a proper CB when he stole the ball off him and nutmegged him easily in the first half to create a goal scoring opportunity . England should've exploited his side.

McTominay is shoehorned into the Scottish starting lineup mostly as a CB these days because they have better midfield options. He did grow into the game
that’s just not true.

A-man

Did a decent job at CB which I think he could in a 3 at United. Nothing spectacular though and not the answer to our defensive issue
I think he’s too sloppy on the ball to be a CB. Like when he lost the ball to Sterling.

Abraxas

I'm guessing they went for Gilmour to take the sting out of the game for them, and an extra player with composure. He definitely has that on Scott. But you can't really say he's better overall because they're completely different, Gilmour is not really a presence or a ball winner.

If you think you want that extra passing ability and ability against a press then obviously you would move McT to CB because he's the versatile player. This is why manager's value these types of player, Clarke wouldn't have made that choice just because he decided who the better CM was during the last week, it will have been a reasoned decision in full view of the best overall side for the game.

McGinn is definitely a handy player, a little terrier. Good all-rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.