5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

It was interesting what he came out with about the manager making clear the physicality etc wasn't great. He certainly seemed to play with a rocket up his arse today. I think he's also been guilty of slacking off recently which he really can't afford to do because working hard is something he absolutely needs in his game because we accept some of the limitations he has.

When he really puts it in he's a good player.

SAFMUTD

10/10 first half, impressive. Average second half but game was sealed.

dribirut

The issue is that we all know he can have great games but one in four good games for United isn’t good enough

dribirut

I think he can be a fletcher esque player who has spurts where he starts but realistically wouldn’t be part of the starting 11 but good squad player

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The disparity between his top level and bottom level is enormous. Tonight was excellent. He's at his best getting on the ball towards the final third and on the edge of the box. He's always had a great shot on him, he needs to be in those positions more. Then other times he has games like vs Newcastle where he hides from the ball.

He just doesn't have the instincts to be playing deep infront of the centre backs. All his best games for us are when he's part of the attack and scoring goals.

cpresc

McTominay and Rice would make a great midfield pairing - I really hope we sign him.

Matic, while not the answer, sitting there tonight, really helped McTominay drive forward and play with more courage - which really suits him.

Fantastic post match interview also - he has 10x more Captain material than McGuire (whom I absolutely cannot stand)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
McTominay and Rice would make a great midfield pairing - I really hope we sign him.

Matic, while not the answer, sitting there tonight, really helped McTominay drive forward and play with more courage - which really suits him.

Fantastic post match interview also - he has 10x more Captain material than McGuire (whom I absolutely cannot stand)
Zero control and creativity. Rangnick wants control, we havent controlled a single game under him and the midfield is why. And you think Rice and McTominay is going to bring that?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nah, that’s bollox. He’s been good in every game since Ole left. Even in games where more or less every other United player was shite. Like Newcastle. He’s the one and only player to obviously look better under new management.
Hes been better. Good is objective I guess but I don’t really say a midfielder had a good game when we had zero control and control is what the manager is after

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

No idea who you mean

Stadjer

Motm. A lot better when he plays closer to the opponents goal than when he plays closer to his own goal. Still dont think he is good enough to be a starter for a league winning team but he was good today.

justsomebloke

The disparity between his top level and bottom level is enormous. Tonight was excellent. He's at his best getting on the ball towards the final third and on the edge of the box. He's always had a great shot on him, he needs to be in those positions more. Then other times he has games like vs Newcastle where he hides from the ball.

He just doesn't have the instincts to be playing deep infront of the centre backs. All his best games for us are when he's part of the attack and scoring goals.
I think that's right - the best part of his game is his combativeness, and his work around the oppo box. He's not being played to his strengths by being used as the holding CM, where he can't really make that much use of those qualities. The problem of course is that we don't really have anyone else who's better in the holding position, so that's where he mostly gets used.

Devil may care

Some good driving runs and shooting, got caught out positionally in defence a couple of times, solid performance overall.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Been very critical of him this season but that was much more like it.

I can only remember 1/2 mistakes all game. Great shooting all match, plenty of tackles and winning duels. Solid passing.

Let's hope this can continue.

NZT-One

Don't get the raving about him. Credit where credit is due, he was deserved Motm today, and he was really influential in the first half. And I agree, he is on an upwards trend for the last couple of games which good, no doubt about that. But even if he deserved an 8 for the 1st half, he deserved a 4 or a 5 for the second half, where he was sloppy. He is also one of the prime suspects of the "why is the passing so inprecise" case (along with our beloved captain and many more). And his best performances are the match against a lifeless Leeds and a Burnley team who stopped caring after 25minutes... If he has all the things he gets praised today, how has he looked so bad against Newcastle....

As I said, I don't get the rating system. It seems like it works with relative numbers, if somebody is like really bad, he only needs to be slightly above average and will get 7 or 8 around here. I wonder, how Xavi or Scholes were evaluated around here.

To end on a positive note, I like his attitude and I hope he can continue this upward trend. Him getting closer to the box is a good thing because his shooting is really good. Having him is certainly not a bad thing but he, just as Fred are obvious to be foes for another midfielder (or two) who are either way stronger defensively or in passing department.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think my hunch about him has proven to be correct, there's a reason every single manger trusts and rates him and I imagine he has been very instructable during the training sessions and I believe that trend will continue under Ralf

One thing that you absolutely need to give him credit for is the fact he's been playing out of position all this time and I think the fact that he doesn't whine about has damaged his reputation, what we saw tonight was much closer to his natural playing style

He has all the attributes to be a very very good box to boxer he has the physicality and eye for goal and those driving runs that I love in fact I go as far to say if we are looking a more balanced midfield we could try to pair him with defensive regista and play him more as box to boxer with more attacking oriented midfielder on top

I've been very pleased with him these past few games and Ralf is utilizing him better than ole ever did and thats a big plus

I know caf has hate boxer raging for Scott but I genuinely think that if we were to get the best out of him we would go a long way to sort our midfield problems and have proper spine for many years to come but thats a very very big if

Zoo

This is what is minimum level should be consistently so let’s wait and see if he maintains this. He’s no longer a young player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Brilliant. Finally wheels are coming off. Credit to Ole as well. The player is finally showing up.

croadyman

Some good driving runs and shooting, got caught out positionally in defence a couple of times, solid performance overall.
This is why we need a proper DM in January who can sit behind so he can produce those driving runs, however fully expect it to be McFred until the end of this season

Ole'sgunnarwin

He has 2 or 3 great matches every season. Not time to get excited yet, he needs to be more consistent. There's a player in there, he's one of the few players that I trust in terms of attitude.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That was genuinely the most 10/10 performance he has put for us.

Now he needs to learn from Ronaldo early in his career to keep those standards high for himself. Challenge himself to do that again

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Zero control and creativity. Rangnick wants control, we havent controlled a single game under him and the midfield is why. And you think Rice and McTominay is going to bring that?
That is the most fantasy midfield pairing I can imagine for this united team. Two talented, well built, engines of midfield

Varun1

I think he can be a fletcher esque player who has spurts where he starts but realistically wouldn’t be part of the starting 11 but good squad player
What are you on about! Fletcher was a very good first teamer, whose best years as a player was affected by his illness.
As for Scott, solid player, but shouldn't be a starter.

Last edited:

eire-red

He's capable of those displays, but we need to see it more and against quality opposition. Burnley don't press, which suits him down to the ground.

All the same, he looked more comfortable beside Matic who sat for most the game. More evidence that his best position is a no. 8 B2B?

McTominay and Bruno in no. 8 positions, with a natural DM behind them might be interesting. I'll need to see a lot more of this to be convinced.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Glad that he is putting "a middle finger performance" to the fans who say he is not good enough.

He has been the most consistent player, a player that shows he is playing a different style ever since Rangnick joined.

Well done Mctominay.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's here, he's there
He's every fecking where
McT McT

croadyman

Think we have to accept these performances from him will be few and far between until we sign a proper CDM who allows him to express himself further forward

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Excellent performance, drove us forward and could’ve had a hat trick

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very consistent with his shooting, more often than not connects well and hits the target (or blocked shots). He started well under Rangnick, always looks for forward passes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.