5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

It’s a bit worrying that Ralf sees a player in him. We are dying for players with highly skillful and technical players in the middle of the park that can control a football under pressure and are cultured passers. He’s total opposite of that as his only quality is his shooting, that’s it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I find it funny when things aren't going smoothly for him he just turns into a CB playing in midfield, and he only passes it to Wan Bissaka.

Winrar

His game against Wolves symbolizes why I just can't get excited about him having a good game like he did against Burnley.

Just doesn't have the awareness and technical nous to consistently be effective at top level.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He had his annual good game vs Burnley when he turns into Zidane. Back to the Scott we know and love today.

Redlyn

It’s a bit worrying that Ralf sees a player in him. We are dying for players with highly skillful and technical players in the middle of the park that can control a football under pressure and are cultured passers. He’s total opposite of that as his only quality is his shooting, that’s it.
It's not like Ralf has many options. And he'd make a decent squad player once we upgrade on him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If VDB played like that then he will never get a game again.

McTominay will get every manager who makes him a key part of the team sacked, I'm convinced of that.

DutchCruijff

Should be sold.

Woeful on the ball, tried to drive forward today and made so many mistakes. Sloppy, sloppy passing and positioning dreadful.

MUFC OK

Worst midfielder to be entrusted as a regular starter for United, and yes I include Cleverley and Gibson in that, neither of whom got the same amount of opportunities he has had.

MUFC OK

A painfully average player that doesn't start for any top 15 team in this league. No idea how he keeps his place in the team game after game.
Nailed it in one. Staggering that he starts in midfield for Man Utd, surely we have players who look after the ball better in the reserves/youth teams.

sugar_kane

I think Ralf was conned by his one good game per year into thinking he was a good player.

Been saying it for months but Fred is not the one who should be dropped from the McFred duo, hope he gets another chance soon.

chiz2kul

I'm just amazed at how quickly opposition players glide past him. Its actually hilarious to watch. He honestly serves no real purpose in the team. Like what does he actually do? Can't control the midfield, no holly wood passes, no simple forward passes or movement, zero attacking sense, zero positional sense (see wolves goal today) etc etc. The sooner he is gone the better.

miss pogs.

luke511

I think Ralf was conned by his one good game per year into thinking he was a good player.

Been saying it for months but Fred is not the one who should be dropped from the McFred duo, hope he gets another chance soon.
Fred is just as unreliable and limited as McTominay, neither are the answer but they've both played 90% of the time when available for the past 2 years. That's the problem.

United in sin

Worst midfielder to be entrusted as a regular starter for United, and yes I include Cleverley and Gibson in that, neither of whom got the same amount of opportunities he has had.
They were better players indeed. Cleverly even bossed the midfield against McTominay when we lost to Watford in Solskjaer's last game in charge. Our standards are low

El Jefe

He isn’t good enough, but he’s not helped by Matic’s determination to be a third centre back. You end up with one average midfielder doing the job of two.
Its so baffling whenever Matic takes up that position. We don't do it when he doesn't play so I don't get why we do it when he's in the team.

MUFC OK

They were better players indeed. Cleverly even bossed the midfield against McTominay when we lost to Watford in Solskjaer's last game in charge. Our standards are low
Great point, he absolutely did. The ‘shit’ players we had under fergie, are better than pur worst now: cleverley, Evans, even Phil Jones has shown a better performance today than we have seen from Maguire arguably all season.

lex talionis

Horrifying performance once again. Scotty can manage the occasional square ball, and of course he's famous for his cannon shot, but he's a woeful midfielder who would get nowhere near the training grounds of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.

MUFC OK

Horrifying performance once again. Scotty can manage the occasional square ball, and of course he's famous for his cannon shot, but he's a woeful midfielder who would get nowhere near the training grounds of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.
Until we get an upgrade on him and AWB I can’t see our shape or control of a game improving. That position is a huge, glaring problem for a club with ambitions like ours.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

We constantly get dominated in midfield which is partially because of the crap formation (3 number 9s, no width, no creativity, awful movement off the ball), but also has to do with the quality of our midfield. The realty is we need 2 midfielder asap.

Andersons Dietician

Its so baffling whenever Matic takes up that position. We don't do it when he doesn't play so I don't get why we do it when he's in the team.
We do it’s just Fred and McT are better at getting back out in to shape where Matic takes his sweet ass time. More so McT that slips in there when it’s he and Fred.

I do agree though. It leaves us woefully lacking in the centre of the pitch especially when Ronaldo and Cavani don’t tend to drop in to help. Although saying this they did in the 2nd half last night. Wasn’t however until Bruno came on and got closer to McT that we started to look like we had a bit more about us.

McT was very much just McT. Mixed bag of stuff. Good moments where he shows his power and strength then next moment he jogging back letting people run off him. He just isn’t consistent.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm just amazed at how quickly opposition players glide past him. Its actually hilarious to watch. He honestly serves no real purpose in the team. Like what does he actually do? Can't control the midfield, no holly wood passes, no simple forward passes or movement, zero attacking sense, zero positional sense (see wolves goal today) etc etc. The sooner he is gone the better.

miss pogs.
Many of those criticisms, plus others, can be aimed at 'pogs'.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Moutinho and Neves are solid and we’re always going to make us look bang average. They have done every time we’ve played against Wolves in the past 2 years. Playing an ancient Matic and a box to box midfielder against them was never going to give us control, unfortunately.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was poor but looked better when Bruno Fernandes came on.

Our whole teams creativity comes from Bruno.

Without him our creativity was trying to come from Matic, McTominay, Sancho and Greenwood.

Not really blaming McTominay too much, the tactics and decisions of Rangnick is not good enough. Only 2-3 players ever play well in a match.

RooneyLegend

We need to try him at the back. He sadly has no feel for blindside pressure which is a big no no for a midfielder.

edgecutter

Given chance after chance after chance and still shows he isn't good enough. His form has been so bad that it is a sin that the likes of James Garner has been sent on loan as he is deemed not as good as mctominay.

When will people realise he just hasn't got it and at 25 he never will.

Ixion

McTominay will get every manager who makes him a key part of the team sacked, I'm convinced of that.
If that was VDB last night there would be 10 pages in his thread saying "and thats why he never plays". Players just run through McTominay like he's not there, bounce him off the ball with ease, and he's supposed to offer protection to the back 4.

RUCK4444

He is a big reason why we have zero control in midfield, it's why I've been reluctant to give him much praise even though he played well at times recently because the mere fact he's playing better than his usual level doesn't mean he's good enough for Manchester United (not as one of the first names in the starting 11 for midfield.)

Wolves just played around him last night so easily it's untrue. Same for Matic but that's always the same for Matic since his legs went entirely around 3 months after we bought him.

Wolves outnumbered him in midfield before anybody wants to point that out, which is true, but we get played through by average sides every week, even when we play two holding midfielders at home to teams in the relegation zone. It's not good enough.

If Pogba is gone in the summer then I would argue we need to replace the entire midfield with the exception of Fred who I would keep and who I'm adamant should be starting every game (in this current midfield) ahead of Scott or Matic. He was our best player prior to being randomly dropped by Ralf.

Pughnichi

Compared to previous midfields with Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes, Carrick he’s so far off the required standard it’s laughable.

he barely stands up to previous squad players like Butt, P.Neville, Fletcher, Hargreaves

An occasional good game against Burnley or Leeds…or a goal vs City won’t change my mind.

He generally appears to hide in matches. Doesn’t offer himself as an outlet for our defenders, can’t pass, leaves space for the opposition in dangerous areas of the pitch, jogs back when out of position. He’s simply not good enough.

side note but I’m interested to see what RR does with Pogba when back. Expect him to be in the midfield 2 (which brings its own problems) but curious as to who he might partner him with.

Foxbatt

Compared to previous midfields with Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes, Carrick he’s so far off the required standard it’s laughable.

he barely stands up to previous squad players like Butt, P.Neville, Fletcher, Hargreaves

An occasional good game against Burnley or Leeds…or a goal vs City won’t change my mind.

He generally appears to hide in matches. Doesn’t offer himself as an outlet for our defenders, can’t pass, leaves space for the opposition in dangerous areas of the pitch, jogs back when out of position. He’s simply not good enough.

side note but I’m interested to see what RR does with Pogba when back. Expect him to be in the midfield 2 (which brings its own problems) but curious as to who he might partner him with.
Butt, P Neville, Hargreaves, Fletcher are world class if you compare them to McTominay. Even Anderson was miles better than him.

JoaquinJoaquin

Fred is just as unreliable and limited as McTominay, neither are the answer but they've both played 90% of the time when available for the past 2 years. That's the problem.
Fred is much, much better than McTominay. This view they are on par is just laughable tbh.

Fred has had more good games this season alone than McTominay has had in the last 2.5 years.

luke511

Fred is much, much better than McTominay. This view they are on par is just laughable tbh.

Fred has had more good games this season alone than McTominay has had in the last 2.5 years.
Fred's had as many bad halfs of football than he's had good ones this season, typically a shocking first half and a good second, the same can be said about last season as well. You can't rely on him to be consistent with a ball at his feet, because of his technical limitations, like McTominay, hence making them both unreliable and limited footballers. Fred has 3 lungs and never stops running which puts him above McTominay in terms of usefulness, but he's still as unreliable as him when it comes to playing clean consistent football out from the back.

Last edited:

United in sin

It almost feels political with him. Fergie loves him to bits too. Hopefully things change after Rangknick brings a player or two in for that midfield.

JoaquinJoaquin

Fred's had as many bad halfs of football than he's had good ones this season, typically a shocking first half and a good second, the same can be said about last season as well. You can't rely on him to be consistent with a ball at his feet, because of his technical limitations, like McTominay, hence making them both unreliable and limited footballers. Fred has 3 lungs and never stops running which puts him above McTominay in terms of usefulness, but he's still as unreliable as him when it comes to playing football.
That is still better than McTominay, who has a bad first and a bad second half for 90% of the games he plays. McTominay brings Fred down, and that is alot of the issue with him. No co-incidence that when Fred has an actual talented CM partner or 2 with him for Brazil he is good.
By the way, I certainly don't think Fred is the answer either for us in CM after this season, but he is a capable squad member. McTominay has zero business being at the club.

luke511

That is still better than McTominay, who has a bad first and a bad second half for 90% of the games he plays. McTominay brings Fred down, and that is alot of the issue with him. No co-incidence that when Fred has an actual talented CM partner or 2 with him for Brazil he is good.
By the way, I certainly don't think Fred is the answer either for us in CM after this season, but he is a capable squad member. McTominay has zero business being at the club.
His international performances are against the likes of Peru and Chile, it's not quite up to Premier League standard, so he's going to look better against these teams surrounded by Brazilian internationals. I agree that he's more useful than McTominay due to his off the ball contribution, but he's still too unreliable technically to be a part of the CM solution.

JoaquinJoaquin

His international performances are against the likes of Peru and Chile, it's not quite up to Premier League standard, so he's going to look better against these teams surrounded by Brazilian internationals. I agree that he's more useful than McTominay due to his off the ball contribution, but he's still too unreliable technically to be a part of the CM solution.
Well McTominay can't even start in midfield for Scotland, so

Slysi17

What a knobbish reply. :lol:

I think he has his uses in the squad and can/has been quite useful for us. I don't think he's God's gift to football and I'm not calling him the son of Zidane, but I don't think he should be binned off just yet.
He is useless though. what use does he have in the squad. Can't pass, Can't tackle well, positional play is non existent, awareness is absymal and his touch/ball control is also abysmal. What actually does he do well? I really can't think of anything.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
If he wasn't Scottish he would be nowhere near the team, it has to be Fergie's influence here, it's the only explanation I can possibly come up with as to why he starts every game for us.
He has one good game every few months and that cements his place in the team for the next few months, meanwhile DVB makes one mistake and gets banished for months.
I'm a massive DVB fan, I followed his career from when he first got into the Ajax team (often playing the same position that McTominay plays for us now) and I was so excited that we finally signed the top class box to box, intelligent and creative midfielder we've been crying out for since Scholsey retired.
I genuinely think if we swap him and McTominay and give Donny the game time Scott has had then we instantly become a better side, however, even if you're not a Donny fan, or indeed, you're a McTominay fan, surely by now you must be at least curious to see if this could work, because it's blatantly obvious that building the midfield around McTominay isn't working now, never has and never will.
Any coach that genuinely thinks we can challenge for a title with McTominay as our main midfielder should be banned from entering Old Trafford.

Foxbatt

McTominay has no business being anywhere near our midfield. Even Djemba x2 was better than him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If that was VDB last night there would be 10 pages in his thread saying "and thats why he never plays". Players just run through McTominay like he's not there, bounce him off the ball with ease, and he's supposed to offer protection to the back 4.
It's just people on here though, it's Rangnick too. He pointed out VDB mistake in the CL game, yet not a word on Scott numerous mistakes, in every game he plays. It's maddening, we have coaches that are so blind to it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.