5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Everyone keeps talking about him having these 1 in 10 but since Ralf has come in, he has probably been our 2nd best player behind DDG.

He often gets overly criticised here. yes he can improve but he isnt as bad as we think. It was also his pass into Ronaldo that got us the 2nd goal.

Foxbatt

Everyone keeps talking about him having these 1 in 10 but since Ralf has come in, he has probably been our 2nd best player behind DDG.

He often gets overly criticised here. yes he can improve but he isnt as bad as we think. It was also his pass into Ronaldo that got us the 2nd goal.
He has had terrible games and very good games. Yesterday was one. It doesn't help when Fred is off form.

sugar_kane

Eeehh... not sure I agree, he has certainly had the best stand out performances after DDG but his consistency is well off the mark, he's had more bad games than good.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I love how his haters will never admit he is good. There will always be a caveat.

This is Darren Fletcher's early united first team career part 2
Problem with McTominay is he always has these sort of games against shit opponents - Brentford, Burnley, Leeds...
But where is he against top sides? Oh he's being played in the wrong positions? Oh Gotcha

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Watching him live for the first time I was surprised he gets so much hate on here - I thought he was easily United's best midfielder and probably second to DeGea in terms of the MOTM for United. Particularly impressed by his driving forward runs with the ball.

Ixion

Watching him live for the first time I was surprised he gets so much hate on here - I thought he was easily United's best midfielder and probably second to DeGea in terms of the MOTM for United. Particularly impressed by his driving forward runs with the ball.
Well a couple of games ago against Wolves he was abysmal which is one of the problems, he hasn't shown the consistency needed so far. He isn't really a DM though so he gets played in a position he shouldn't because hes the best of a bad set of options. When we sign a DM he can properly be judged.

Glorio

Beast Mode McTominay again - thankfully these outlier performances seem to be occuring more more regularly. Here's to hoping he's on the precipice of these performances being closer to the norm - we rarely ever lose when he performs like this. Similar to the emergence of "Super Fletch" all those years ago in a way.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Problem with McTominay is he always has these sort of games against shit opponents - Brentford, Burnley, Leeds...
But where is he against top sides? Oh he's being played in the wrong positions? Oh Gotcha
Simply not true. Been great against City numerous times. Was also our best player, by far, in the EL-final.

If we improve our midfield, and are able to play to McTominay strenghts every game, he will be a beast for us.

Mike Smalling

It's because these performances are still not the norm. He played extremely well yesterday, but he will also put in stinkers at times. If he played like this every time, he would be a legend on here.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
His, Fred and Pogba's biggest problems is they all play variations of the #8 role and work best with a holding midfielder to allow them to play more B2B and we typically ask one of them to sit and when they don't both play hybrid roles which limits them both.

Red00012

Why is he so disliked by so many on here?

His attitude is exactly what we need from all our players and his performances have been excellent lately .

Are we meant to dislike all our players because we are playing shit?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watch him play consistently and you'll know why. He is bang average on the ball. The bloke is a terrible passes. In moments he can shine - defensively with his physicality and offensively with his driving runs. But it's the likes of him and AWB (and coaching of course) that make us weak as a possession team.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Beast Mode McTominay again - thankfully these outlier performances seem to be occuring more more regularly. Here's to hoping he's on the precipice of these performances being closer to the norm - we rarely ever lose when he performs like this. Similar to the emergence of "Super Fletch" all those years ago in a way.
He seems to be gaining some momentum. Needs a few back to back performances like last night and then I’ll start to believe in him more. I don’t think he’s a good passer but physically he’s great if he can keep getting stuck in and winning 50/50s

NZT-One

I've always like McT, even when he was not used in his favored role (which is most of the time). I don't think anyone could ever doubt his commitment and his grit. Even when morale was low he showed he was playing for the shirt, having come through the academy he knows the history he represents. I think what's happening now is RR is coaching McT to do specific things, or more likely, to leave certain things for other players. McT's liability has been playing him as a 6, or pairing him with someone else who is also not a DM, and expecting the two of them to come up with a 6 and an 8 performance magically. In the 4231 system he was encouraged to not make vertical passes, and that was a frequent criticism of him on the Cafe. Under RR, vertical is being drilled as the first option and it's making all the difference.

First half Brentford were good, it wasn't just us being disorganized. Brentford has given a lot of top teams a proper game, and we just weren't at the races in the first half. 2nd half, McTominay was a thoroughbred out there. People have written off his first touch and his passing, and yet 2nd half he's nipping through players with the ball and releasing attackers with precise long passes. He's got the stuff, it's the system that has been holding him back. Which is not to say he's Iniesta, but he's a good player and we might be getting to see him hit a higher gear than he has so far, with RR's coaching.
Think that is quite a bit OTT. I mean, I get it, we are longing for somebody to play in an asserted way in midfield and the 2nd half yesterday he was more than fine. But he was also part of the team before halftime and they were more or less all over us. Certainly not just because of McTom but these 45min belong to the match just as the other 45.
Lets hope his form stabilize and he will gain some confidence but I wouldn't overstate the meaning of a good 2nd half against Brentford when they burned through their energy already. You are always as good as your opponent gives you the chance to be.

Drainy

Was apparently winding up the Brentford fans when he came off. Heard from a Brentford fan who was at the game he was winking and laughing at them.

Top shithouse player, we're lacking those.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
We need people to play well against shit opposition just as much as good ones. Can't win the league by just beating the top 4.

lex talionis

Scotty is an 8, not a 6. When he lies deep, his ability to spot and snuff out danger is limited, but when he roams forward he’s a decent threat.

NZT-One

His, Fred and Pogba's biggest problems is they all play variations of the #8 role and work best with a holding midfielder to allow them to play more B2B and we typically ask one of them to sit and when they don't both play hybrid roles which limits them both.
Sounds great in theory but can hardly be proven. We don't know, if Fred works best with a DM. And we don't know if McTom works "best" with one. Maybe we should just be happy he is finding form and stop overstating the meaning of individual performances for the future. He was abysmal just 4-6 weeks ago. And that comes from somebody who gave him credit for yesterday. But the more it gets written about, it sounds like he was the 2nd coming of Yaya. Strange he wasn't that yesterday in the first half.

Relax. Enjoy the ride.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
We need people to play well against shit opposition just as much as good ones. Can't win the league by just beating the top 4.
No we need consistent performers not players that have 1 good game in 5.
We have way too many players that can't go on a consistent run of games.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No we need consistent performers not players that have 1 good game in 5.
We have way too many players that can't go on a consistent run of games.
I don't disagree. I would say McT is the least inconsistent of our 5 midfielders though (not counting VdB since he never plays). Inconsistency also bears little relation to your original point about him only playing well against small teams (which I think is wrong anyway but that's another discussion).

Dante

Average bang
He does all of the simple things well. And a couple of difficult things really well. That's exactly what you need from a squad player. And even if he remains a first teamer for the foreseeable future, he has enough about him to give the better players a platform without ever really making any mistakes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thought he was MOTM again really. Been very impressed with some of his performances this season and I've always thought he was a decent (but flawed) player. But he's MUCH better further up the pitch. He has great strength on him and good feet, too, as we saw last night when he glided past a few players. He's also great at striking the ball (one of the best in the squad) so is also a goal threat.

Obviously, I don't wanna go overboard here because he is a flawed player, but he's definitely one I would keep around. Especially as a squad option.

Witchking

He was very good yesterday in the second half, but is equally anonymous when the team is bad. Midfield is an important position, his role should be to get things moving when the chips are down, but he hides when the team is down. In the second half, he galvanized the team and this is what is expected and required of him. Hope he sees that he has the talent and needs to be more pro active like yesterday. Step in the right direction.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was MOTM again really. Been very impressed with some of his performances this season and I've always thought he was a decent (but flawed) player. But he's MUCH better further up the pitch. He has great strength on him and good feet, too, as we saw last night when he glided past a few players. He's also great at striking the ball (one of the best in the squad) so is also a goal threat.

Obviously, I don't wanna go overboard here because he is a flawed player, but he's definitely one I would keep around. Especially as a squad option.
How can you say he's better higher up when he played the deepest midfielder? if anything more room ahead of him to build up some steam is actually perfect for him.

Once he gets into his stride he's hard to stop, but because of his size he struggles to accelerate.

I think he played the CDM position really well last night, apart from a few trademark switch off's once they got behind him.

Swedish_Plumber

He does all of the simple things well. And a couple of difficult things really well. That's exactly what you need from a squad player. And even if he remains a first teamer for the foreseeable future, he has enough about him to give the better players a platform without ever really making any mistakes.
I liked his performance last night. But he makes plenty mistakes. Let’s not rewrite his history here just because he’s been a better performer of late.

sp_107

I am more than happy if Scott delivers these performances on regular basis but i still think we need a proper NO-6 who in Kante mould to let our attackers go forward wiht out worry

We are greatly struggling to keep hold of the ball in middle of the park for a long time (even under Ole) so we need to sort that out

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How can you say he's better higher up when he played the deepest midfielder? if anything more room ahead of him to build up some steam is actually perfect for him.

Once he gets into his stride he's hard to stop, but because of his size he struggles to accelerate.

I think he played the CDM position really well last night, apart from a few trademark switch off's once they got behind him.
He did play well last night. I'm saying I personally prefer to see him higher up the pitch due to the qualities I highlighted above. I think at times when we're overly reliant on him deeper, he has a tendency to not make himself available due to poor positioning. There was actually a very good video on this that highlighted how he's often left floundering when playing mainly as a CDM, and how he doesn't make himself avaialable for the pass off the CB. He has this tendency to move behind the the opposition player and almost cutt off the passing lane as a result.

I think his qualities are much better served further up the pitch, or when he's allowed to progress further up the pitch as opposed to mainly sitting in that's all. He's without a doubt the best midfeidler we have out of him, Fred and Matic.

romufc

His attitude is exactly what we need from all our players and his performances have been excellent lately .

Agenda FC.

Scotty is in our midfield where alot of fans want to see Donny play. Managers have come and gone and have consistently picked him know less than the caf.

He is not the greatest player but his improvement since Ralf took over has been good. He has been the constant in the team, he has delivered 3/4 really good games.

Obviously when we play crap its McFred's fault.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The question around Scott is whether he can, or should, be a part of a midfield that (surely) we are going to invest in this summer. What are we looking for from a midfielder? He passes the ball pretty well, forwards when he can. He is a very strong runner with the ball. He has presence in the middle, and in both boxes. Can score a goal. Defensively he is improving, and complements our centre back pairing well. Great engine. Leaves everything on the pitch.

He'll never be as cultured a passer as someone like Jorginho is or Carrick was, but he also brings things to the table that those types of players don't, so it comes down to what you want from a midfield and how you set it up. I think he could be really excellent playing as an 8 next to someone like Rice, and he is approaching his peak years. I really like him. He is underrated by our fanbase, and I'd be looking for the right partner for him as opposed to seeing him as a squad option in the future.

Kumar Abhishek

I like McTominay. He has attributes that I think we can definitely use in games of specific profiles. What I see is that he shines against teams that play a physical and direct style. He gets into tackles more often, has space to run with the ball and can participate in transitions (especially attacking ones). Where I think he struggles is when we play possession style games where either us or the opponent monopolizes the ball. In either scenario, positioning, short and long passing become critical qualities which he lacks. In an ideal world, we would be able to use Scott against the kind of opponents that suit his style. Right now, he is being asked to play in all kinds of games at a level high enough for a Manchester United midfielder. He isn't that right now but, like Fletcher, I think he can definitely grow into that over time. Not sure how much time he will get though considering the situation we find ourselves in.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians

Haters love to hate.

NotQuiteManc

As good as he has been, United really need to add at least a couple more midfielders, one a proper DM and another one as rotation to McFred. A good rest seems to be doing good for certain players like Bruno and Rashford (so far), so a non-fatigued/injured McTom is good for the team at the moment.

Maniron

He's undoubtedly a good player, with all the physical attributes and skills to become a top player. But for me he goes missing in matches for long periods, doesn't make himself available as often as he should, and generally struggles when we are on the back foot. He's great going forward but needs to add more steel to his game, up his work rate and show for the ball more.

As others have said he would benefit from having a great DM partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.