5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lecland07

The midfield was fine today; there just wasn't enough threat up front until Martial and Rashford came on. Mctominay was pretty sloppy in passing, though. Only 80% accuracy, two misplaced passes which could have cost us goals.

Based Adnan

Ok game. Space to drive forward wasn't there today. Had some nice one twos and some decent passes but sloppy at times. Did what he needed to do.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can surely do better than this.

Loved that tackle on Rice which stopped a dangerous buildup.

arnie_ni

Thought he cost us the game when he lost the ball there at the end instead of passing.

There's times when he looks up and you can see he sees a pass and he just doesn't back himself to make it. I'd rather see him try those difficult through balls even if they don't always come off.

Bobski

5.5/10, some good stuff but also some sloppy passing and losses of the ball in bad areas as the second half wore on.

Rice is just a more polished, composed version in that role(DM), better technically and with more positional awareness

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's just gonna have to be more confident in his passing if he's ever going to be more than a niche rotation player (assuming we buy better midfielders).

He's playing much better defensively but you can just see he hesitates all the time on the ball and it kills potential transitions.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is just a body there. Fred at least tries something. McT just runs around and plays single passes (even that he can't do without few touches).

Swedish_Plumber

Thought he screened the defence really well in that first half. Nipping in on occasion to intercept too. Think that’s my biggest criticism as well, he's often nowhere in blocking off easy avenues for teams to attack us.

Missed most of the second half so didn’t really see how he got on there.

Devil may care

Got stuck in but when he doesn't have the space to run with the ball he doesn't offer a tonne going forward as his passing is bang average.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think him and Fred have looked a lot better under Ralf. Both tidier on the ball and more options for them to pass to.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
McTom and Fred have their positives and negatives , we just have to accept the type of players and standard they're for the majority of time.

They are what they are and its why we need to improve upon them in the starting 11. But they're both capable bench/squad players.

3vra

If you compare him to Rice its different world. His positioning and passing is so bad It hurts. If he was not from our academy and playing in Norwich noone would be intrested in buying him. I really hope we can get 5-10 min for him in the summer and buy someone who knows how to play in that position but its a dream that unfortunatelly would never happen :(

he can have superb matches given apce like against Burnley or Leeds and score few goals but number of times his sloppy passing is costing our chances to create something is outrageous. His positioning to recieve a ball from our players is also poor and It take him too much time to so something with the ball.

I do not get it, why he has so many fans ? I so not see here player for top half of the table.

Manowar

If you compare him to Rice its different world. His positioning and passing is so bad It hurts. If he was not from our academy and playing in Norwich noone would be intrested in buying him. I really hope we can get 5-10 min for him in the summer and buy someone who knows how to play in that position but its a dream that unfortunatelly would never happen :(

he can have superb matches given apce like against Burnley or Leeds and score few goals but number of times his sloppy passing is costing our chances to create something is outrageous. His positioning to recieve a ball from our players is also poor and It take him too much time to so something with the ball.

I do not get it, why he has so many fans ? I so not see here player for top half of the table.
Totally agree, he lacks so many aspects to be a top team CM or DM.

Nevertheless, we should treat him as what he is, a decent backup option for a game here and there. It's not his fault that he starts so many games for us.

Shimo

I must be an absolute dunce. Watching the game, Scott had an equivalent level of performance on the defensive side of the game as Rice when called up. He had a wayward pass sure but, he played well. On the flip side what did Rice really do to show he was levels above in the DM role of being also a creator too? I didn't spot anything of note. This is also relatively new role for Scott and he's taken it to quite well. He's the type of character that will take on information and improve in that position.

Lecland07

I must be an absolute dunce. Watching the game, Scott had an equivalent level of performance on the defensive side of the game as Rice when called up. He had a wayward pass sure but, he played well. On the flip side what did Rice really do to show he was levels above in the DM role of being also a creator too? I didn't spot anything of note. This is also relatively new role for Scott and he's taken it to quite well. He's the type of character that will take on information and improve in that position.
Rice was better.

Rice only misplaced 2/58 passes, but McTominay misplaced 12/61 passes.

Rice did better defensively with 6 tackles and interceptions. McTominay had 2 tackles.

Rice also did better with dribbling.

Soucek was poor today, as well, making Rice's job harder.

Idxomer

I thought he was average the whole game and there was a period near the end of the 2nd half where he was just terrible.

Augustus Gloop

Rice was better.

Rice did better defensively with 6 tackles and interceptions. McTominay had 2 tackles.

Did Rice pass further than 5 yards all game? Thought Rice played it safer than Scott. Whoscored.com suggests this too with 3 key passes for Scott, 0 for Rice.

Scott won 7 aerial challenges. The most on the pitch. Rice had 0.

Rice completed 1 more dribble than Scott. Hardly showed him up.

I didn’t think there was much between them today.

Litch

Scott was Ok, nothing more, nothing less. If he did that consistently, that would be much better that either being brilliant or being really poor. These types of games, really suit his combative nature.

Red Rash

Rice was better.

Are those stats really true? That's a high percentage of misplaced passes by McTominay.

I thought in general he had a pretty average game. A lot of short sideways passes and a few easy passes that were misplaced. Also felt he didn't really show for the ball from the center backs. On the positive side he won a lot of headers.

Overall Rice looks a lot better than him and Fred. Still think midfield is a massive weakness for the team and we massively over hype whenever he or Fred have a decent game. We really need to get someone new in the middle of the park.

united for life

Did Rice pass further than 5 yards all game? Thought Rice played it safer than Scott. Whoscored.com suggests this too with 3 key passes for Scott, 0 for Rice.

when rice is almost at his worst and scot almost at his best, yes there isn’t much between them.

please, let’s not get carried away. Rice is one of the best in the league at that position.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s defensively very poor, despite appearing busy. He’s pretty much either guaranteed to be bypassed or the only other alternative is a foul. When I see him about to engage, I already know he’s going to foul his man. Similar to Pogba in that respect. He is terrible at tackling and tends to just jump on top of his man pulling him down from the shoulders or untidily taking his legs.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He needs to improve his passing and i've noticed he takes too many touches near the penalty box to pass it to one our forwards and invariably gets surrounded which leads to losing the ball and us having to defend a counter.

Bondi77

That is pretty much how I saw the game.
I thought his passing was better than Bruno’s as well.

Diamond Chap

Supports
Airdrieonians
There certainly isn't the ridiculous gap between them that you are suggesting.
Rice is a decent player, as is McTominay, but neither would be in the top ten midfielders in the division.

NZT-One

I thought he was average the whole game and there was a period near the end of the 2nd half where he was just terrible.
Scott was Ok, nothing more, nothing less. If he did that consistently, that would be much better that either being brilliant or being really poor. These types of games, really suit his combative nature.
He’s defensively very poor, despite appearing busy. He’s pretty much either guaranteed to be bypassed or the only other alternative is a foul. When I see him about to engage, I already know he’s going to foul his man. Similar to Pogba in that respect. He is terrible at tackling and tends to just jump on top of his man pulling him down from the shoulders or untidily taking his legs.
Totally agree with these statements. I think, he was alright today, had an alright match against formidable opposition. But all the stuff that got attested to him over the last two or three games was more or less gone. And I think, that is due to the opposition being a physical match to him today. I think, we would have suffered without him today as he was needed for the midfield battle, but I thought he did just enough to not to appear as the least impactful midfielder on the pitch.

Last edited:

El__Jingo

another no show against a top 8 PL side.

the standards of this great football club have gone to sh*t if players like this have a future at the club in anything but a squad rotation role. as much as some fans dont want to admit it Rice was different levels today, he just looks so much more composed and assured on the ball.

im curious to know from the fans who him, how much do you genuinely believe we would get for him if we were to sell him .. and more importantly what teams do you think would be the ones bidding ?

there was a time when Lingard divided opinion on here and look how that turned out. for me it will exactly the same, once we are to reinvest in the midfield Mctominay and Fred will both be slowly be eased out. as to where McT would end up i cant see it at anywhere other than a lower level PL club.

EtH

Who is this guy’s dad ? Seriously. How does he continue to get games for us ?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was exhausted today.

He's played the most minutes for United this season (outfield).

By far.

JeffFromHK

anyone recalling those sliding tackles made by Alan Smith when he was made defensive midfielder? Seems like McTominay has almost never made a single clean sliding tackle in his 150+ games playing for us (everytime he tries to do it, it is a foul). This is something that annoys me so much.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Good performance. Guy has improved under coaching of Rangnick.

Status
Not open for further replies.