5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Supreme-

He’s very fortunate that our midfield is so thin, not good enough even as a squad player. Fortunately I think he should be relatively easy to get rid for decent money.

Sylar

Nah he was deservedly dropped after he was woeful against City and once Casemiro got his chance that was that
I might have worded it wrong. Scott didn't deserve to be dropped as soon as case joined but I agree that once casemiro came in, that was that.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Erik gets his way in the summer and gets another top midfielder in (which we badly need) then it might be time for Scotty to move on for his own career. Take a step down to a mid table club and he'd be okay.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He did well when casemiro was signed and was playing well for the team and didn't deserve to be dropped based on performances. But casemiro is a level above as can be seen, especially when mctominay now comes in for casemiro
Yeah, I’d say Casemiro is around 3-4 levels above, in fairness. But in the run up to the city match, McT was playing well, you’re right - or the team was just trying to stay afloat by brawling for a few wins after that horror start to the season.

dr.twinny

He’s just not good enough I’m afraid. Hopefully he’s moved on in the summer and we let an academy graduate take his place.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s just obviously not a good enough footballer. There isn’t even a detailed explanation required. At what point can you look at a midfielder and say ‘I don’t think he’s good enough for a club like Manchester United’ if that description doesn’t fit Scott McTominay? He’s been demonstrating it for years now. In fact, he’d been demonstrating it even before he made his United debut. There’s no cause for any confusion at this point surely.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nah, he did play well. For a few games in a row. And he did a lot more than just “pass it to defenders”.
Please show me how progressive he was in his passing. He wasn't. Even his good performances was mostly him playing well positionally off of the ball and keeping it simple and not fecking up (which is fine, but about 3 levels below his replacement)

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s just obviously not a good enough footballer. There isn’t even a detailed explanation required. At what point can you look at a midfielder and say ‘I don’t think he’s good enough for a club like Manchester United’ if that description doesn’t fit Scott McTominay? He’s been demonstrating it for years now. In fact, he’d been demonstrating it even before he made his United debut. There’s no cause for any confusion at this point surely.
Agreed. It's funny because people love the "squad player" trope but I'll never consider someone that struggles to complete basic passes as a midfielder a "good squad player" just because he loves my club and tries hard.

SAF is the GOAT

The guy is clueless and I don't care what anybody says.

I don't know who convinced him that he can be a great footballer but its never going to be at Manchester united and he's lucky that he's an academy player of ours.

After we getting rid of Donny in the midfield, he's the first name on paper after him that I'll kick out of the club

Last edited:

Telsim

Below average performance. Had a bright start of the season, but has fallen off since. Decent option from the bench, though.

NoPace

He still makes more obvious mistakes in terms of where to move than any other player we have, and he wins headers but gives the ball back to the opponents constantly.

Have to sell him in the summer and buy a quality #6/8 like De Jong or Enzo. And if we can't and we just want to throw Mainoo in the deep end (and/or buy another prospect instead of De Jong/Enzo that will need a year to ease in like a Musah, Caqueret, Kokcu, Lavia or Ugarte type we think will blow up) and give Fred more time, then we should sign a cheap and ready right now #6 to give us a proper Casemiro backup. Someone at the level of an Norgaard would still be an upgrade, and there's always Norgaards, Cheik Doucoure, N'Zonzi and Gueye types around if you're smart.

He's not a useless player, and I can see why for continuity and not immediately turfing an academy type with great physical characteristics made sense for Ten Hag, but he's not settling into the system and improving as much as the other players. He's a level behind in terms of tactical understanding and reading the game. Would be less of a problem on a counter-attacking side lower down in the table.

Rossa

That was appalling. At this stage I think he's shown what his level is. He can be useful, but he's also at a stage where he should be playing regularly, and that shouldn't be for United. I would rather we have younger squad players that have potential for growth than players like McTominay who are supposedly in their prime but either lacking basic skills or are too erratic.

dutchred

By next season Mainoo will have displaced him, but we need an experienced DM to cover for Casemiro. Long term I think Mainoo will be a DM, but that will take a few seasons

SAF is the GOAT

By next season Mainoo will have displaced him, but we need an experienced DM to cover for Casemiro. Long term I think Mainoo will be a DM, but that will take a few seasons
You can "wrap up" the whole thing and bring in Declan Rice

Idxomer

Please show me how progressive he was in his passing. He wasn't. Even his good performances was mostly him playing well positionally off of the ball and keeping it simple and not fecking up (which is fine, but about 3 levels below his replacement)
He did play well but in that period we had less possession than our opponents in every league game, he was averaging around 25 to 30 passes per game. He put in a lot of tackles and won a lot of aerials. His positioning was also not as bad as it usually is but I wouldn't say his performances were a lot different from other times when he performed relatively well.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not an impressive showing last night sadly. A little bit like with Maguire, the team has moved on and progressed without him and has highlighted his shortcomings. Our squad / game is totally different now to when him and Fred were our best / only option. He's looked ok when playing in a team with little or no direction and purpose but now a lot of players around him have levelled up. He's not a terrible player but he's not this level.

Time to move him on and out of him and Fred I’d keep Fred as a squad player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s bizzarely protected here. We are generally terrible sellers anyway, but whenever a club comes in for one of our poor players there’s always a strong ‘hands off’ from us. It took us bringing Ronaldo back before Ole buckled with James, otherwise any advances were rejected. Same with Maguire last summer and McTominay too. Reports today of about 5 PL teams enquiring about him and being told to piss off as he’s a ‘big part of our future’.

Guy must be Fergie’s love child.

croadyman

Presume you mean in the summer because don't see any loan ones we can get now

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s bizzarely protected here. We are generally terrible sellers anyway, but whenever a club comes in for one of our poor players there’s always a strong ‘hands off’ from us. It took us bringing Ronaldo back before Ole buckled with James, otherwise any advances were rejected. Same with Maguire last summer and McTominay too. Reports today of about 5 PL teams enquiring about him and being told to piss off as he’s a ‘big part of our future’.

I don't understand either why is he this much protected. He is championship quality player but we still refuse to sell him

Skills

Snitch

Quite concerning that we can't seem to tell the difference between our own good and bad players watching them day-in day-out. Yet we have the same people making decisions worth 100s of millions on players we are buying with even less data/information about them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Probably because we're still terribly run, even if we did luck out with a very good manager the issues with the club are still very much there.

Matthew84!

Utd would never sell him in this window, would be ridiculous to think they would, we'd be a man down with games every 3 or 4 days, he'll be gone in the summer when a new CM comes in.
I don't think he's Utd quality either but he's a squad player for now.

Roboc7

Doesn’t make sense to sell him now and also makes sense to exaggerate how important he is to try and maintain his price.

But teams maybe are enquiring because writing is on the wall for him, it’s fairly obvious his days are likely numbered. Good chance he will want out as well, gone from a guaranteed starter and getting asked about being a future Captain to someone who will be lucky to start 10-12 league games.

We always seem to be reluctant sellers but we have to start generating money from selling players now and peak time to sell Mctominay would be this summer.

Handré1990

We should let him go. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t dislike him, but even for a backup I think we should do better long term, and with our track record when it comes to selling players.. it’s not any good is it.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Tielemens is available? Seems logical to sell and explore that option

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Tielemens is available? Seems logical to sell and explore that option
If Elanga and McTominay goes we need Tielemans (which is probably where the rumour originated yesterday) & a new forward to replace Elanga

RuudTom83

Squad is very thin...whatever you think about Scott he shouldn't be going anywhere until the summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Squad is very thin...whatever you think about Scott he shouldn't be going anywhere until the summer.
We have Iqbal and Mainoo. Yeah, they are young and shit but they can do better job than McT.
McT is not our future. If offer is right we should sell

Status
Not open for further replies.