g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't know if we've ever had a bigger gap from a first choice player and his backup as we have from Casemiro to Mctominay.

Wheato

McTominay is not good enough, even as a back up squad player. Never laid a glove on anyone for the entire game. Never got close to the action, was chasing shadows, out jumped by smaller players, tackled easily, too slow to see out any danger, and when we had the ball he never showed for it.

The only good thing about today is that Ten Hag saw it all and he won't make the same mistake twice. Casemiro got a rest as well.

Hulme91

Championship player

The writing was on the wall when he chose to play for Scotland, very few lads born and raised in England would make that choice if they thought they were good enough

Cabin Clown

Was anonymous as expected. The difference between Casemiro and this guy is staggering.
Being ovverun in midfield is not a McTominay issue, its a team one.

ten Hag identified that we were overrun against City at the Etihad and decided to put Fred in for the reverse fixture. I believe he should have done the same today.
Agreed, was baffled by the team selection.

Greck

Constantly shows some of the most inconsequential defending I've ever seen. False DM. Just there to trick other managers we have an extra body.

Greck

ten Hag identified that we were overrun against City at the Etihad and decided to put Fred in for the reverse fixture. I believe he should have done the same today.
It's both. The team is made of individuals and none of them in our midfield can claim to be the exception. I'm sure their threads are the same. Mctominay is however the one who can't really argue he's good at bringing some other skill or talent

Kopral Jono

Take the money from Newcastle /West Ham and RUN. Got lost today, doesn't belong in these top quality games. He's a midtable player
Yeah, I could definitely see another Phil fecking Jones situation brewing if we're not careful. We shouldn't reward utter dross like him. He needs to feck off and never come back. Awful footballer.

Sylar

Tragic performance. Was just snatching at everything and couldnt make simple passes.
Couldn't even make fouls to disrupt their momentum which is the one thing you would at least expect especially near the end

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
:lol: That two yard pass he couldnt make near the end. Arsenal scored the winner then.

He is not good enough. Mourinho gave him his chance because he was tall and could defend crosses. No technical ability about him.

buckooo1978

awful today

out of position a right few times, naive pressing and that lunge at the end cost us

El__Jingo

took tike off this forum when casemiro was bought and there were idiots on here trying to make out mcdonkey was something he wasnt, hes never been good enough for this club! a player who doesn't possess any technical ability playing in the heart of the midfield for manchester united? whats that about?!

i cannot wait for the day he is sold, him and Maguire are the last two who shouldnt be anywhere near this team.

RedOrange

McTominay is not good enough, even as a back up squad player. Never laid a glove on anyone for the entire game. Never got close to the action, was chasing shadows, out jumped by smaller players, tackled easily, too slow to see out any danger, and when we had the ball he never showed for it.

The only good thing about today is that Ten Hag saw it all and he won't make the same mistake twice. Casemiro got a rest as well.
I agree totally with your review of his play, but I don't think Ten Hag is playing him because he doesn't also see that. McTom played because with Casemiro suspended there is no one else.

If there were a better option available today, he would have started over McTom, there just isn't one in the squad.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He cannot play deep in a midfield. He does not show for the ball and lacks the discipline and passing range to be effective.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Fred gets lambasted with being compared to McTominay. I'd have Fred over him any day.
Not sure what Fred has to do with Scotts absolutely shit performance
I'd have him over Scott any day too, but no-one can argue that the two of them together seems to create a rather predictable game. Throw in the Ole version of Rashford today and we get exactly what we all saw.

SAFMUTD

He has the strength, the attitude and the physicality. That's it, we need much more than that if we're going to compete.

Can't get rid of him now as we are really light weight in midfield but we need to move on from him. Bring players that can actually challenge for a starting place.

Art

Art the artist
If we don’t sign a midfielder this summer I’ve no hope. Scott and Fred aren’t it. So tired of watching them be inadequate for Man United

Valencia Shin Crosses

The huge difference is that Fred played alongside Casemiro. It's suicidal either way and just shows how garbage our midfield options are.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree totally with your review of his play, but I don't think Ten Hag is playing him because he doesn't also see that. McTom played because with Casemiro suspended there is no one else.

If there were a better option available today, he would have started over McTom, there just isn't one in the squad.
Why is he the only option there? Ten Hag has some culpability. I was being a bit irrational in the summer, but in August I remember saying that whether or not I support Ten Hag would depend solely in whether McTominay made it to September as a United player. If he saw any value in him, I would struggle to have any confidence in such a manager to come in and straighten things. Now of course, Ten Hag is great, but I still cannot defend or excuse any coach’s decision to look at Scott and fancy him as a midfield option for a top side.

So yea, he’s all we have, but he should have been sold and replaced last summer, so the fact that he’s the only option is Ten Hag’s fault as much as anyone’s. If we find ourselves in a situation next season where Scott is the available option, he takes all blame because Scott can’t have done anymore to demonstrate that he is useless.

Swedish_Plumber

:lol: yeah I was being generous. FFS never seen such a limited “footballer” with ball at feet (or with ball not at feet), playing in midfield for a supposedly “elite” club.
Hopefully a good summer window will mean he’s surplus to requirements. He’s had the odd very good game here but it’s been obvious since for a while he’s reached his level.

Ceteris

Just watched Saka's goal and he literally steps in behind odegaard to hide

He's just no where near a backup let alone a starter

Walters_19_MuFc

So do you think he was decent today? There's absolutely no way he's a Manchester united quality player. Not even in rotation.
Defensively, I thought he was pretty good actually. According to whoscored.com, he was our 3rd best player, with a rating of 7.05.

Made the most clearances (9) and joint most tackles (4) in the game. On the ball, nothing special but he was never there to be that and neither is Casemiro. We expect that from Eriksen and Bruno, both of which had under 80% passing accuracy.

Whether or not people felt McTominay had a good or bad game today, I personally believe he was always going to be targeted because he was asked to come in a replace the best defensive midfielder in world football.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
An absolute donkey performance from the player and people have the audacity to call him a scapegoat. This forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.