5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Has been for a while, the latest victim of social media groupthink along with Maguire. There was a game last year where the caf well and truly had their pitchforks out for McTominay, and then he was given MotM :lol: Shows the level of cognitive dissonance that goes on just to "be right".

I think Scott will play a significant role this season. One of the things I have yet to see mentioned is that with Martinez being so short for a CB, McTominay's height and physicality could be more valuable. The goal we conceded today was from a set piece after all.

Ive also said for ages that he isnt a DM - the further up the pitch he plays, the more comfortable and confident he tends to look. What he lacks primarily is defensive positioning and awareness.
Do you want a midfield of Martinez and Mctominay?

We can't play a player purely because they're tall. This isn't basketball

He probably is a box to box attacking midfielder but there are 4 players ahead of him in those positions imo. I always look to Henderson to see what Mctominay can become but it'll be difficult for him given the talent we have in the squad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's 6th choice now.
He's obviously not and that's what's terrifying. I must have been watching a different game as Palace cut through our midfield quite a few times in the first half, shows the same problems remain from last season.

AFC NimbleThumb

Has been for a while, the latest victim of social media groupthink along with Maguire. There was a game last year where the caf well and truly had their pitchforks out for McTominay, and then he was given MotM :lol: Shows the level of cognitive dissonance that goes on just to "be right".

I think Scott will play a significant role this season. One of the things I have yet to see mentioned is that with Martinez being so short for a CB, McTominay's height and physicality could be more valuable. The goal we conceded today was from a set piece after all.

Ive also said for ages that he isnt a DM - the further up the pitch he plays, the more comfortable and confident he tends to look. What he lacks primarily is defensive positioning and awareness.
Strange argument to make when you’ve had threads like this about him. Then there was the thread after he scored 2 goals against Leeds where names like Davids, Gerrard, Gullit were mentioned.

As with our no.5 I’d agree the criticism has began to veer too far but it’s funny how precious some posters get about these 2 when current & not so distant squad members have received far less rational criticism.

The further up the pitch he plays the more talented the players he’s competing with by the way but yes let’s build of midfield to get the best out of a Scottish International centre back .

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Better than his usual. Good to see, but it is quite evident he's one of the weaker players on technical ability. I think Fred would do better in his position if we had a DM.

edgecutter

He's the first player in the 11 that needs an upgrade. He's got a great attitude, but that doesn't make you Roy Keane.

MUFC OK

As with our no.5 I’d agree the criticism has began to veer too far but it’s funny how precious some posters get about these 2 when current & not so distant squad members have received far less rational criticism.
They have a legion of fans that support them but do come in for the most criticism of our regular starters in fairness. Both were very poor last season.

RuudTom83

Scott has a good game in him. But what he doesn’t have is back-to-back good games in him.

Secondly if he doesn’t start, then it’s hard to imagine why you would sub him on other than to see out a game when United are 2-0.

Robindinho

Played so well, that he was the only one subbed at half time.

I'd say he was fine... Sure, he keeps it tidy and ticking over when he has time and space, but he's just not on the same wavelength as the others and the interplay tends to slow down if he's involved - almost like he gets in the way.

Don't mind him as a squad player, but should definitely not be a regular starter anymore - particularly after Eriksen's (and hopefully De Jong's) arrival.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was much better today than his previous 2 outings.

Must be fair in my critique.

RC89

Probably by Gary Neville who enjoys criticising players himself but won't ever criticise any British players.

I don't have massive hopes for Mctominay but I think last year he wasn't playing in his position, for me he plays better the closer he is to the opposition box. He's not a DM and it was unfair to try and play him there.

El__Jingo

there isnt a fan who doesnt rate him any less than me, but he wasnt bad today.

problem is you could've had anyone in there today and it wouldnt have mattered Palace were that poor.

one thing i get the ick with is the myth about him being better suited further up the field.. just because he cant play DM doesnt mean he can play further up.. he has no technical attributes to play in that position and thankfully he wont get a look in there either.

we badly need De Jong its vital we dont go into a season with him in the starting line up.

In Rainbows

I thought VDB showed him what his job should be. VDB was far quicker to provide a passing option to his teammates, constantly moving. McTominay was far more static because he's not that type of midfielder that demands the ball.

CarbonStoolBites

Yep, I’ve mentioned it few days ago.
Not only for set pieces, also to win headers in the middle of the pitch.
I don’t know why people think you can be successful and balanced football team with 10 midgets.
Even Barca had Busquets in there (and no haters I’m not comparing Scott McTominay to Busquets).

ti vu

Just like I said earlier. He's not liability but it's visibly differentiable on how his role can be improved by how VdB operate. Tidy and effort doesn't always result in job well done. Know how/certain talent is still required.

Olecurls99

I thought VDB showed him what his job should be. VDB was far quicker to provide a passing option to his teammates, constantly moving. McTominay was far more static because he's not that type of midfielder that demands the ball.
I spoke about this in the Donny thread a few days ago and got pilloried. I'm going over there now :lol:

nau05194

I watched the first half of the Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace pre-season games and I think Scott McTominay's performances in those two halves were very good and understated, which I wanted to acknowledge.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People should have a look at Theo Hernandez during his Real Madrid presentation.

Happens to a lot of players when they are put on the spot in tight conditions.

But I'm sure people will use the fact the camera man wanted the ball in the air as much as possible as a stick to beat him with, standard Caf.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's funny and I'm not exactly his biggest fan but I doubt you should measure pros by their free style capabilities.
Still funny though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They should still have good ball control.
You can still have good ball control without doing too many. Is McTominay even noted for bad ball control?

I'm sure Lukaku can do keepy-uppys but he definitely doesn't have good control.

Mainoldo

You can still have good ball control without doing too many. Is McTominay even noted for bad ball control?

I'm sure Lukaku can do keepy-uppys but he definitely doesn't have good control.
Lukaku definitely doesn’t have Lewandoski type keepy-uppys in his locker.

Mainoldo

Benched and well deserved. He was a passenger in the last game. Played it too safe and got spotted.

Skills

Snitch
Has he fecked that up? He could've still completed the round-the-world?

Status
Not open for further replies.