5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedOrange

I always had this feeling that Scott is good at winning the ball but its that simple pass you make after, is where he failed.
For the past few games he has been much better at this specific aspect and we can see his game improve so much.
He is becoming an essential cog in the team. He isn't a defensive midfielder as such but more of a roamer and he will be involved in firefighting all across the pitch.
Hope he takes his game a few notch up with better players around and under a manager who trusts him.
I agree, he's making himself available for passes, and either progressing the ball or at least recycling the ball and maintaining possession with his passes now. I don't think he dribbled into a cul de sac and gave the ball away in this match either, which was something he did a few times in previous matches. He's looking better and better at winning the ball in midfield through tackles and aerial battles as well.

The one critique I have is that although he is not hiding from the ball as much, he is still sometimes slow to notice that he his not in a position to receive the ball, and then slow to move into a position to receive it. I don't know whether it is a concentration or decision making issue, but overall it has improved so maybe he will continue to respond to the training and cut it out completely eventually.

Krits

That was a good to great performance for his expected role. He controlled the midfield, was available for a pass quite often and then didn't dally on the ball too long before moving on. His positioning off the ball seems to have improved dramatically. It could just be the level of opposition and having more space, so I don't want to get all giddy about his performances. But it is good to know he can do a job vs the lower half of the table so that he can be used in rotation.

Hate him or love him, you need players like him in squads. Players who don't want to be the stars, don't mind others getting the limelight and just doing a good job when called upon. That is my hope for McT.

kunal18

I agree, he's making himself available for passes, and either progressing the ball or at least recycling the ball and maintaining possession with his passes now. I don't think he dribbled into a cul de sac and gave the ball away in this match either, which was something he did a few times in previous matches. He's looking better and better at winning the ball in midfield through tackles and aerial battles as well.

The one critique I have is that although he is not hiding from the ball as much, he is still sometimes slow to notice that he his not in a position to receive the ball, and then slow to move into a position to receive it. I don't know whether it is a concentration or decision making issue, but overall it has improved so maybe he will continue to respond to the training and cut it out completely eventually.
As Scholes mentioned during the Brentford game, If he wins the ball and gives it to the better creative players around ,his job is done instead of himself trying a dribble in congested midfields. I don't think he has that composure or gameplay intelligence in him to create plays, or receive the ball in tight spaces. He is more of a hustler/game breaker which is fine we have Eriksen/Bruno to do the creative responsibilities. His abilities to dictate play are limited when we have the ball and that's upon Ten Hag to decide how to utilize him and in which kind of games.

Reactions: Invictus

stoinz

Amazing how much better he looks with good coaching. The team structure that ETH has instilled is helping lots of players.
Exactly, he is extremely coachable. He can be really good under the right system. Really happy for him.

RedOrange

As Scholes mentioned during the Brentford game, If he wins the ball and gives it to the better creative players around ,his job is done instead of himself trying a dribble in congested midfields. I don't think he has that composure or gameplay intelligence in him to create plays, or receive the ball in tight spaces. He is more of a hustler/game breaker which is fine we have Eriksen/Bruno to do the creative responsibilities. His abilities to dictate play are limited when we have the ball and that's upon Ten Hag to decide how to utilize him and in which kind of games.
Definitely, but I think he also has a good though ball in him from time to time, especially if he's able to play a bit further up the pitch. He made 1 or 2 fantastic through balls against Liverpoolfor example.

If all he does is win the ball back and lay it off to a teammate he's doing his job well but the odd progressive pass here and there will do nicely.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Where's the poster who said we needed to play him so he can protect Casemiro?

Jcrossley94

I like mctominay, thought he had an excellent game last night, but he doesn’t have the passing range to play that role for us long term. Casemiro when he came on instantly started spraying the ball around. Will serve a role in the squad, but can’t play in the side permanently

Ekeke

Had a good first half as a combative midfielder, though not much involvement with the ball. Didnt think he was quite as good in the 2nd but still better than Eriksen

crossy1686

career ending
McTomminay is a spoiler. What I like about him is he’s not afraid to put himself about and ruffle feathers, without him we’re soft and we get overrun in the middle. Not what people want to hear, especially when people want him sold so Garner can play instead…

Managers trust him, every single one has.

nau05194

Started the season well ?
Yes. I noticed you haven't posted anything about his performance last night which speaks volumes. Have you got it within yourself to accept he played well last night and has started the season well or are you sticking to your guns?

Last edited:

Matt007a

He is definitely benefiting from playing next to Eriksen. It allows him to play to his strengths, which are winning the ball, covering the ground and moving it on quickly and safely. Give it to Eriksen and let him do the dictating of play.

I still expect Casimero to replace him in the coming weeks and keep the position, but I feel much happier about rotating them than I would have before.

BulgarianDevil91

Sais it in the pre-match thread last ndigh and got ridiculed for it, but I am really impressed with him over the last 3 game weeks. He seems so focused on doing what he's asked to do and does it very well. Very happy for him, long may his form continue.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He was quite good by his standards. He still hid a lot and gave away needless fouls, but he intercepted well and even looked to go forwards with the ball from time to time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did well yesterday, he used his height and physicality to good advantage, something we needed. He can still work on off the ball movement to be an option for the player in possession.

DevTheRed

Thought he played well last night, he was one of the better players along with the back 4.. but the difference in quality on the ball when Casemiro came on was telling.

I like Scott he has a good attitude but should only be a squad player.

Lu Tze

Not sure if this comp of him from last night has been posted here:

Hughes35

Think he played really well last night (As he did against Liverpool).

Long may it continue.

Red_scot1981

Yeah I’ve been quite critical of McT of late, however last three games he has played well. As mentioned previously, he seems very coachable and hopefully he keeps doing a job when asked to. I also noticed he made quite a few defensive sprints off the ball yesterday when he previously looked like he was in 2nd or third gear!! Keep it up!!!

Hughes35

You honestly think he’s going to keep his place once Casemiro is up to speed?
I didn't mention anything about him keeping his place?

We will play a lot of football this season (hopefully) so I'd still like out second choice midfielder to keep up good form. Scott will get cup games, Europe and the odd PL game.

Jcrossley94

I didn't mention anything about him keeping his place?

We will play a lot of football this season (hopefully) so I'd still like out second choice midfielder to keep up good form. Scott will get cup games, Europe and the odd PL game.
Yeah, okay fair enough - don’t disagree at all

OleGunnar20

A role of a DM is to recover possession and distribute the passes to players who can progress the ball further such as a CM or a AM. It is a safety role and McTominay did that very well.

Regarding hiding from passes, he is not trying to hide but rather it is a instinct. He used to be a striker and strikers have the tendency to play on the blindside of the opposition in order to receive the final pass. It will take a while to tune his striker's instinct and despite that, he is starting to show improvement in making himself available.
Yeah, he's played quite well recently fair play. Last night was decent. He'll fit into the rotation well if he keeps up this improvement - clearly he's enjoying working with ETH & Co.

I'd like to see him get on the ball more often and look a bit more assured when on it going forward, which I'm sure is something he'll be working on.

Long may the improvement continue.

Last edited:

Glorio

Played very well - he's not a player I rate a lot but he seems to be doing well next to Eriksen. His height helps for set pieces as well (even if I've not seen him win many headers), which gives him an edge over the other options

RedIan

Not been a fan but he was one of the standouts last night. He contributed very well defensively and is an asset defending corners. He will get plenty of game time.

lysglimt

Scout
Those criticizing McTominay - look what happened exactly 20 seconds before we score the goal. Leicester attacks down the left with Barnes - and McTominay has a superb tackle to win us the ball. If Barnes gets past him - he can shoot from 20 yards out. 20 seconds later - we score.

There is a reason why Mourinho loved him, why Solskjaer loved him and now why ETH seems to like him....maybe they see something that some fans dont ?

lysglimt

Scout
One game doesn’t change anything he’s had plenty of abject performances for us. Did good tonight, has done that before…never been able to stop his level dropping off a cliff though all too often.

But name one player who has not had a bunch of crap performances for us in the last 18 months ?

Fans who are more than 30 years old probably remember how United-fans behaved towards Darren Fletcher when he was in his early 20s. Fletcher was never a winger but was often forced to play out on the right and did ok - but never great. He was slaughtered by our fans for not being good enough. 2-3 years later he played so well he was on the verge of Team of the Season in the league. How about getting behind the team for a change

diarm

Carrick too. Even Scholes at some points of his career was given shtick. Our fans are notoriously bad at understanding midfield play.

One other thing about the last few games: It's no coincidence that midfielders are suddenly looking better players while linking with technically better footballers around them.

There's a huge difference between taking a hurried, scrappy ball from a panicked Maguire and looking to link quickly with Wan-Bissaka or Shaw and taking a sharp, accurate pass from a Varane or Martinez and looking to link with a player like Malacia or Eriksen.

Ten Hag is showing these players a way to play, and having better footballers around them is helping them play it. It hasn't completely clicked yet, particularly in the final third, but the signs are there that it's coming.

That's not enough for a top team. Scholes suffers from not knowing why he was so good, look at anybody in the City, Liverpool teams, or our old great teams. All midfielders were at the very least capable and threatening on the ball. A DM's job is not just to break the play up and pass to somebody next to you, its to reverse the direction of the game as quickly as possible. That means stop an attack, and quickly change it to your own attack. You can't carry somebody who is as poor and reluctant on the ball as McTominay. Look how short the compilation @Lu Tze posted is, for a centre mid who played a full game.

He is playing now because we don't have anybody else who can break up an attack, and thats the first priority, but it's not ideal and Casemiro should be taking over soon to do both jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.