Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
]

In fairness, Casemiro was playing as a makeshift cb. Playing where he was McT has to be keeping the ball better and using it more adventurously (or even just better) than he did. He wasn't even a particularly effective midfield shield. He's a passable squaddie at best, for a top six team.
I didn't see the game so no comment on performance, I would have thought he'd have been a better bet to play CB than Casemiro though, McT is at best a squad player and nothing more

SAF is the GOAT

Scott showed in 1 pass why he never gets the ball from other players, especially from our defense and that's why we have a huge "hole" in the middle.

That's why we also see Bruno and Sometimes Martial getting to the back to take the ball from the defense because Scott is just hiding from the ball.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I didn't see the game so no comment on performance, I would have thought he'd have been a better bet to play CB than Casemiro though, McT is at best a squad player and nothing more
That was a great decision by ETH. Centre backs often have more touches than centre midfielders. And there is no scenario where we would want McT to have more touches than Casemiro.

Robindinho

Just his standard performance - jogging, giving the ball away cheaply and not making himself available enough for a pass... I'll never understand how he still plays so often/has made so many appearances.

What do managers consistently see? Even the club seem to push him as the 'poster boy' :confused:

El__Jingo

yet again as i've said time and time again the lad is the worst footballer that i have ever seen play over 150 games for united.

how hes even got to that number is baffling, the years spent watching him and fred week in an out we'll never get back.. seriously though how the hell was that allowed for a club of this size?

i watched the game with a mate who thought mcT was 23... hes 26!!!

just put that into context.. hes older than

Frenkie De Jong 25
Jude Bellingham 19
Jamal Musiala 19
Aurélien Tchouaméni 22

De Jong aside, the others are a handful of years younger and already show you what an elite midfielder looks like.. yet lads on here will try and argue that clearing the ball several times against a championship team is something we should be raving about.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's just not very good.

The sooner he's not in our midfield, the better we'll be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Some good things, some really poor things.

A definite mixed bag, but then the same could be said of many of the players tonight.

Rustiness prevailed for many tonight,
Aye, clearly just rust. With more minutes, McTominay’s passing will of course return to its usual high standards.

phelans shorts

Interesting how when Scotland play McTominay at centre back rather than central midfield it’s because McTominay isn’t good enough, but when Casemiro plays centre back with McTominay in midfield it’s because McTominay isn’t good enough.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Interesting how when Scotland play McTominay at centre back rather than central midfield it’s because McTominay isn’t good enough, but when Casemiro plays centre back with McTominay in midfield it’s because McTominay isn’t good enough.
Maybe it's just because he's shite!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well it is quite obviously not because Casemiro is not good enough to get in our midfield so not sure the point here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe it's just because he's shite!
He isn't very good but the big difference in playing CB for Scotland and playing CB for ten Hag who wants to build from the defensive third, is obvious. So playing the technically superior player in Casemiro at CB makes much more sense for ten Hag.

Lights Out

An absolute shambles of a performance.

Even when he horrifically gives the ball away he just jogs back and doesn’t seem to give a shit

Bwuk

The Scotland argument is stupid.

Scotlands biggest area of strength was midfield. We had poor options at CB, and Clarke wanted a way to fit both Tierney and Robertson in the side.

McTominay played RCB because the alternatives were absolute donkeys.

For what it’s worth, Clarke has abandoned the 352 lately too, moving to a 433, with McTominay, McGregor & McGinn as the midfield 3.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Usually one of his biggest fans but today he was poor. Also whenever the camera zoomed in on him I thought he looked like his face lacked colour, as if he had flu or something?

glasgow 21

Usually one of his biggest fans but today he was poor. Also whenever the camera zoomed in on him I thought he looked like his face lacked colour, as if he had flu or something?
Nonsense, I will make a statement (as i did with England will win nothing with Maguire and henderson in the team) that we will win nothing with Mctominay in the side. The amount of none passes this guy makes is ridiculous and somewhere, as with Jones over the years ,there is secret santa backing him further up the ladder. If the world cup showed anything, direct successful passing adds to success. Mctominay neither receives or gives with any consistency to earn a place in this team.

OmarUnited4ever

It was a standard McTominay performance, misplaced passes and terrible on the ball as usual, plenty of aggression to break-up play, good late runs into the box, and so on and so forth.

He played as I expected he would.

Malone_Post

I will never understand how a player who has such a basic lack of passing ability has made it as a midfielder in the PL, nevermind at Manchester United. It’s just absolutely criminal how bad his passing actually is.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have always appreciated and liked MCT because he's an academy player, but the reality is that he hasn't improved in the years being with the first team.
He's still slow, passing is very bad and positioning not great either. Not good with the ball, not good without it.
Pity because I really though he can become something special when he first debuted.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Let's hope a team like Newcastle will bid 30m or so soon. Under normal circumstances, he would have been sold years ago

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
These things aren't necessarily exclusive, they can depend on a team's philosophy - I haven't watched Scotland play (why would I do that to myself) but for Ten Hag's playing style, building from the back is an imperative and one of the cornerstones of his teams. It made complete sense to play Casemiro there rather than McTominay (who additionally was atrocious on the night, by the way).

There was an instance in the second half where we had a nice build up from the back, 2 or 3 players playing one touch passes to each, with one finding McT in midfield - there was a clear avenue for a one touch pass forward (maybe to Martial? Not sure), but rather than playing that obvious pass, he took time to control, couldn't get the ball out of his feet, and lost it to Burnley's pressure, which led to a chance for them. This type of instance happens all the time with him, he has neither the technique nor the vision to play in midfield, or anywhere in reality. This comes from someone who admires his attitude, but he just does not have what it takes to succeed at Utd, and I honestly struggle to think of a Premier League club where he'd be a starter.

NoPace

It was a standard McTominay performance, misplaced passes and terrible on the ball as usual, plenty of aggression to break-up play, good late runs into the box, and so on and so forth.

He played as I expected he would.
I agree, but I'd say it was an extreme version of a standard McTominay performance. Diabolical decision making and execution on the ball 25-30% of the time, quite good off the ball, looked too big and quick for a quality Championship midfield.

He's normally not quite this good off the ball or quite this terrible on it, but against Burnley he was his truest self.

Perfect example of why we should sell him to another Prem table, as he has value as a homegrown player with experience, size, mobility and not too old for a CM. Then buy a big, strong, fast midfielder who can play as a 6 or 8 but is better technically. You're not going to get a genius, but you can get a solid player. Rabiot is basically the type of player we're talking about here. Capoue, Thomas Delaney and Berge are similar archetypes. Someone who can win headers when Casemiro is hurt and Lisandro needs someone in front of him to do that like he had in Edson Alvarez. But capable of striding forward a bit and linking play well. Not an impossible task to find as shown by those players moving multiple times to not huge clubs most of the time.

Searching around on FBRef, we're talking about someone like Pogeba at Milan, Stach at Mainz or Endo (short but is 29, wins everything in the air and captain for Stuttgart and anchor for the Japanese team so a guy who could play 20-25 games a year at United and not lose his place for country and not cost an insane amount)

Basically, McTominay is quite similar to Casemiro, so he fits the squad, but we need someone who is a Europa League level Casemiro, and McTominay is more of a finish 13th in the Prem and survive solidly, but not make it to the Europa Conference League type of player.

Last edited:

NoPace

These things aren't necessarily exclusive, they can depend on a team's philosophy - I haven't watched Scotland play (why would I do that to myself) but for Ten Hag's playing style, building from the back is an imperative and one of the cornerstones of his teams. It made complete sense to play Casemiro there rather than McTominay (who additionally was atrocious on the night, by the way).

There was an instance in the second half where we had a nice build up from the back, 2 or 3 players playing one touch passes to each, with one finding McT in midfield - there was a clear avenue for a one touch pass forward (maybe to Martial? Not sure), but rather than playing that obvious pass, he took time to control, couldn't get the ball out of his feet, and lost it to Burnley's pressure, which led to a chance for them. This type of instance happens all the time with him, he has neither the technique nor the vision to play in midfield, or anywhere in reality. This comes from someone who admires his attitude, but he just does not have what it takes to succeed at Utd, and I honestly struggle to think of a Premier League club where he'd be a starter.
It was Elanga. He was ready to receive a pass to complete the sort of thing Ten Hag must train them on endlessly and McTominay blocked it all up.

McTominay is great in the air and good at sprinting forward with it. He'd do well in the role Soucek plays at West Ham for a club that wants to play like that, which means basically using McTominay in a double pivot defensively then asking him to sprint forward and make them a 4-1-4-1 in attack sort of thing. Or if you're a mid-table side with a deep passing, tiny DM type then he makes sense too. Basically like the Ambrosini types that helped Pirlo in the air and ran ahead of him when he launched attacks. So honestly he should probably be in a different league, since mid-table versions of guys like Jorginho and Pirlo don't really get picked here apart from like Westwood at Burnley. They're probably more common in Spain and Italy.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I’ll be surprised if any premiership team plays if when he leaves us.

How the hell does someone like him make it through our academy with such terrible technique and lack of quality.

Raven

His worst performance of the season last night, really bad stuff after a promising start to the season.

Herman Toothrot

We all know McTominay can be inconsistent, and in all likelihood, is bound for more of a squad role when everyone is fit and available, even more so when reinforcements arrive in the summer. He can play a few positions and should have a long-term role here if he's happy not starting every game. Interesting to see how much fresher the World Cup players looked over the ones who stayed at home, Garnacho had several clumsy touches too.

James_42

Are they not good things then?

Bit miffed as Casemiro is being praised for winning alot of headers, yet McT isn't being praised for clearing the ball on several occasions.

It's clear that McT has his limitations, that's evident, but he certainly has his uses, and whilst not great tonight he wasn't terrible.

Every player was rusty tonight, Casemiro gave the ball away in an even worse position than McT did tonight yet not a word from anyone, the reason for that is Casemiro is a better player, but the double standards is funny to witness at times.
Even playing in defence he made so many great passes that McTominay couldn't dream of doing, he is a midfielder that can't control the ball, pass the ball effectively or even win the ball back.

I would rather see him play up front as a make shift forward than in midfield stinking the place up.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Even playing in defence he made so many great passes that McTominay couldn't dream of doing, he is a midfielder that can't control the ball, pass the ball effectively or even win the ball back.

I would rather see him play up front as a make shift forward than in midfield stinking the place up.
The interesting thing to note is McT had two key passes in the game, bettered only by Bruno.
He could of had an another assist had it not been for a great save from Martials shot.

These things go unnoticed by many, yet evidently not by the coaching staff who consistently select him.

I cannot defend his poor passes throughout the game of which there were three possibly four absolutely needless passes which gave the ball away, but this happened from Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen etc, so he wasn't on his own.

Roboc7

The interesting thing to note is McT had two key passes in the game, bettered only by Bruno.
He could of had an another assist had it not been for a great save from Martials shot.

These things go unnoticed by many, yet evidently not by the coaching staff who consistently select him.

I cannot defend his poor passes throughout the game of which there were three possibly four absolutely needless passes which gave the ball away, but this happened from Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen etc, so he wasn't on his own.
Well ETH and his coaching staff have realised pretty quickly he isn’t very good which was inevitable. They’ve clearly noticed a lot about him and decided he’s not up to it.

He doesn’t start games anymore unless we’re short of options. Over time as the manager can strengthen further he’ll get less and less substitute appearances as well.

Like a number of players his career has benefited from the club being a complete mess. He’s 26 and his Utd career has already peaked in terms of appearances.

Two assists in one game would have been a career highlight for him, he’s only got 2 or 3 in the Premier League his whole career.

Champ

Well ETH and his coaching staff have realised pretty quickly he isn’t very good which was inevitable. They’ve clearly noticed a lot about him and decided he’s not up to it.

He doesn’t start games anymore unless we’re short of options. Over time as the manager can strengthen further he’ll get less and less substitute appearances as well.

Like a number of players his career has benefited from the club being a complete mess. He’s 26 and his Utd career has already peaked in terms of appearances.

Two assists in one game would have been a career highlight for him, he’s only got 2 or 3 in the Premier League his whole career.
Anyone would think he's a (gasp) squad player!

I never said he started games, I said he's constantly selected, which he is, he has started as many games as been in the bench this season, yet has come off the bench in all bar one game he has been available for.

That doesn't happen if he's 'not very good'. He's a good player and a good addition to the squad, if only some people could see past that weird hatred suspended in front of their eyes.

Marwood

2 key passes(whatever that means) is no good if you're also giving the ball away consistently.

Which is why Bruno also gets criticised.

Roboc7

Anyone would think he's a (gasp) squad player!

I never said he started games, I said he's constantly selected, which he is, he has started as many games as been in the bench this season, yet has come off the bench in all bar one game he has been available for.

That doesn't happen if he's 'not very good'. He's a good player and a good addition to the squad, if only some people could see past that weird hatred suspended in front of their eyes.
ETH has demoted him from a guaranteed to someone who doesn’t even start in the Europa or EFL unless we’re short of options. Most of his starts came when Casemiro wasn’t fit, before the World Cup Fred and DVB were being picked ahead him. Earlier in the thread you could pretend ETH saw him as a starter but that ship has sailed now.

The idea you seeing how good he is and that being backed by this coaching staff if nonsense. If you want to say Rangnick backed your argument then that’s correct but he was a disaster so not sure what that proves.

Last edited:

Champ

ETH has demoted him from a guaranteed to someone who doesn’t even start in the Europa or EFL unless we’re short of options. Most of his starts came when Casemiro wasn’t fit, before the World Cup Fred and DVB were being picked ahead him.

The idea you seeing how good he is and that being backed by this coaching staff if nonsense. If you want to say Rangnick backed your argument then that’s correct but he was a disaster so not sure what that proves.
He's started both EFL games to be fair, and has started one game in Europa League game all season so not really a demotion.

He's a squad player and a useful one at that, he's not going to dispose Casemiro, Eriksen or Bruno, not many players would.
But he does do and is being used for is steadying the ship at the end of games, or as last night, a cup player to rest others.

So no, I don't think the coaching staff consistently selecting him, using him and trusting him as them saying McT isn't good enough to play for United, that'd be a strange way of showing it really do you not think?

Status
Not open for further replies.