g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

JohnnyLaw

I just fecking love this kid. No player warms my heart as much and if he’s to contribute to this team this is how he can do it.

Rex Banner

I honestly think he's slightly wasted here. He's not good enough to play at CM and whilst he's clearly better suited to playing further forward, that's not really a sustainable option for us. Would be quality for a team like Everton or Palace.

Trequarista10

I honestly think he's slightly wasted here. He's not good enough to play at CM and whilst he's clearly better suited to playing further forward, that's not really a sustainable option for us. Would be quality for a team like Everton or Palace.
I agree he'd be a better fit at a side like Dyche's Everton, in either a second striker role or the most advanced of a midfield three with license to get into the box and limited duties to collect the ball in front of the back four (which is his weakest attribute by far).

I think we need to sell him eventually but whilst he's here, on the occasions he does play, I hope we learn to utilise him accordingly. The balance of the side is more important than individual quality, and there are ways in which he can be used to provide balance.

Wayne's World

Not his biggest fan but delighted he produced when it mattered.

And deserves a start against Sheff Utd now too

Kostov

I am glad he had those goals, and it meant to world to him also. Made me jump through the house like a little kid, I've not had a moment like this since Macheda probably.

Jacob

Glad for him but couldn't overcome my frustration with the performance even though we won.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Really pleased for him, has been heavily criticised and a lot of it has been OTT in my view, our midfield is currently performing worse than it did 2 years ago when he was a mainstay so feels like he was made a scapegoat to a degree. Has a part to play IMO and i'm glad he didnt move on.

BuzzKillington

He often looks shit for us, but which of our players don't. I still stubbornly reckon theres a decent footballer in there somewhere, we're just not finding it.

Bwuk

I hope all the clowns who post abusing him in this thread when he doesn’t even play apologised today. Tits.

greater wall

Mocked and maligned, yet united through and through. I am happier when Scott is in the team rather than some more decorated players who get a free pass on their performances.

ti vu

Combined of Fellaini and Tim Cahill. No wonder Moyes wanted him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He often looks shit for us, but which of our players don't. I still stubbornly reckon theres a decent footballer in there somewhere, we're just not finding it.
I think he'd be a very good player as an attacking box to box player at plenty of PL clubs. Similar level to Joelinton at Newcastle, or in at Villa. The problem is trying to use him in a way that doesn't shit him.

marktan

He could do what Hojlund does, he has the skill and physique for it, and his finishing is better.

We could've saved £30m on Onana by signing Roberto Sanchez or Raya.

We could've saved £60m on Mount, by playing Hannibal.

£170m saved right there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Also between these 2 goals and the goal vs City, you could argue he's got some of the most dramatic goals in the post Fergie era?

Chicharo

He may not be good enough to play a significant role in this team, hell, maybe he should go, but this is proper fecking United mentality!
Thank you Scotty!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Very well taken goals today. Saved us from another embarrassment. Well done!

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He's 5 goals away from Nicky Butt, who was the fecking definition of a reliable squad player.

21 in 215 for Scott
26 in 387 for Butt.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Thanks Scott, don't know about you but I'd give a bollock to be able to go on and do that for United

captain666

Just don't pick Scott in a defensive role, he is far more effective in an advanced role, well played Scotty, at least you have desire and a Red heart!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He showcased his best traits. An eye for goal and great finishing. He is still an average player though without the ability or iq to play midfield at a high level.

Mindhunter

He wears his heart on his sleeve. And he actually has composure in front of goal which most of our forward players have suddenly been stripped off of. Granted that he was fresh and didn't have to go through a grueling 90 mins slog but the intelligence is there to find the space and the finishing of course was really good, especially for the first one.

Deserves a lot of credit. He is not an answer to our midfield troubles but you need players like him to remind others what it means to play and win for the shirt. Talent and skill will only take you so far, especially when you don't have a settled system that players can slot into. You need some good old school sweat and tears and he always provides that. Proud of his progress since the days he was being used as a pawn in Mourinho's mind games.

stoinz

He may not be good enough for us as a midfield option but he never sulk, did he best when he’s called upon. I hope he get a move on next season for a career he deserve.

ForeverRed1

Why not play him further upfront? He’s clearly got goals in him with his physicality and height. Both goals yesterday were proper strikers goals. Midfield isn’t working, we lack goals why not roll the dice and play him up top? Worth a try.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We’ve always looked more likely to score with Bruno playing deeper and either McTominay or Hannibal as #10 this season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why not play him further upfront? He’s clearly got goals in him with his physicality and height. Both goals yesterday were proper strikers goals. Midfield isn’t working, we lack goals why not roll the dice and play him up top? Worth a try.
I agree but ETH seems a bit too conservative for bold experiments. He is no Pep in terms of having the self-belief to play players purposefully out of position.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Just don't pick Scott in a defensive role, he is far more effective in an advanced role, well played Scotty, at least you have desire and a Red heart!
He is not. He is barely involved and not good enough overall. Might be good enough to come on but thats it. 2 goals now wont change that

Hester_manc

I know that many fans do not rate McTominay. But he has a winning mentality and always gives his best, and I think his attitude is so good for the team that I would never sell him, as long as he is okay with his role as squad player.

Bwuk

Casemiro
Amrabat
Bruno
Mount
Mainoo
Hannibal
Eriksen
Gore

He really shouldn't step foot on the pitch for the club again unless five of those are unavailable.
Good thing your not picking the team

Ole'sgunnarwin

He plays against Spain away next and Scotland still have a 100% record. Battling Hojlund and Lukaku for top scorer. Hat-trick incoming

OrcaFat

I know that many fans do not rate McTominay. But he has a winning mentality and always gives his best, and I think his attitude is so good for the team that I would never sell him, as long as he is okay with his role as squad player.
After yesterday I can only agree. I would have preferred to move him on and that may still be best in the long run but I’m obviously delighted with what he did vs Brentford.

What he did is what we should have been doing - get into goal scoring areas and hit the target. The other players can do it and I wish they would. McT, in those moments plays with a passion and clearness of purpose that, sometimes, appears to be lacking in the team. I suppose it’s linked to poor confidence given our poor run of results.

We need players with McT’s determined, positive attitude. God bless him. The way to success is to get the rest of them playing with similar conviction rather than relying on McT to contribute regularly (he probably isn’t good enough to do that).