g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Scott McTominay image 39

Scott McTominay Scotland flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

greater wall

He's 5 goals away from Nicky Butt, who was the fecking definition of a reliable squad player.

21 in 215 for Scott
26 in 387 for Butt.
You can play 387 times for United and still be called a squad player.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How is he such a good finisher? He strikes the ball with incredible finesse, it just seems innate to him. Maybe we really missed a trick by not actually training him as a striker. We need to find a way to keep him around the opponent's penalty area, he's so deadly there.
He was a striker in the youth teams. Mourinho threw him into the team at cm and cb purely because of his height.

Sylar

We probably see him as DM next match :lol:

Think it's obvious his best stuff is closer to the opposition box

Wrecking ralf

There’s this vid on YouTube of Mctominay playing as a striker. Surprisingly good too when he was younger. Quite like Kane in some ways. Makes you wonder watching it if we messed up a potentially very good striker by putting him in midfield. How finishing is brilliant at times. The touch to score his first yesterday too was lovely.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

There’s this vid on YouTube of Mctominay playing as a striker. Surprisingly good too when he was younger. Quite like Kane in some ways. Makes you wonder watching it if we messed up a potentially very good striker by putting him in midfield. How finishing is brilliant at times. The touch to score his first yesterday too was lovely.
There were reports that there was little faith among his coaches that he would make it to the first team. The issue back then was the same as it is now. He did some of the basics well, but he lacked the full kit of raw materials to become a mainstay at any position on the pitch. They were actually caught by surprise when Mourinho promoted him. I remember reading somewhere that he didn't play much in the under-18s, and only when he got a big growth spurt did they try him up front for the under-23s.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I honestly think he's slightly wasted here. He's not good enough to play at CM and whilst he's clearly better suited to playing further forward, that's not really a sustainable option for us. Would be quality for a team like Everton or Palace.
He'd walk into West Ham's team currently so can do better than mid table.

Not sure how long is left on his deal but you can tell from his interview he wants to stay at Man. United as long as possible "been here since I was 5...." etc.

He'll start ahead of Casemiro for the next couple of games. More effective option than Mount in the 8 role also.

miked99

I couldn't love him more after yesterday. In fact, I've started work on his statue. What do you think so far ?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

What we saw yesterday is exactly what he's good at. If you're chasing the game and need to throw bodies into the box against a big physical team that's defending very deep, then a big physical specimen like Mctominay is very useful. He's not a midfielder good enough for a club with ambitions to compete for the league and neither does he have the attributes to play as a striker.

Offsideagain

McT will always hold a place in my heart for that goal against City in the pissing down rain to put the game to bed. Maybe EtH can convert him to a center forward?

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

What we saw yesterday is exactly what he's good at. If you're chasing the game and need to throw bodies into the box against a big physical team that's defending very deep, then a big physical specimen like Mctominay is very useful. He's not a midfielder good enough for a club with ambitions to compete for the league and neither does he have the attributes to play as a striker.
The issue here is that he's not good at tracking back in case of a counter, I think it happened with Brighton. He needs to improve that side of his game.

yardieUnited

He'd walk into West Ham's team currently so can do better than mid table.

Not sure how long is left on his deal but you can tell from his interview he wants to stay at Man. United as long as possible "been here since I was 5...." etc.

He'll start ahead of Casemiro for the next couple of games. More effective option than Mount in the 8 role also.
Yeah right, he isnt better than kudus, paqueta, nor is he better than alvarez or ward prowse.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah right, he isnt better than kudus, paqueta, nor is he better than alvarez or ward prowse.
Soucek still starts the majority of games for them. That's the closest in terms of profile in that midfield area.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I like him as a squad player, but he serves a very limited function. Someone said a bit like throwing the dice with Fellaini in the last 20 minutes or so to give us something different. I think that's it really, he doesn't work as a starter when he hides from the ball (which he does) and he's not good enough to play higher up the pitch instead of the others we have. But for Schmeichel now to come out and put the boot into ETH for looking to sell McTominay in the summer is pathetic. He should know the financial limitations we have and the bloated squad we are carrying.

Winrar

McT will always hold a place in my heart for that goal against City in the pissing down rain to put the game to bed. Maybe EtH can convert him to a center forward?
I mean at this point, why the hell not try it at least since we're so starved of goals.

Ekeke

Soucek still starts the majority of games for them. That's the closest in terms of profile in that midfield area.
Soucek is also a higher goalscoring midfielder who is better in the deeper areas than mctom. Hard to imagine McTom would start over Alvarez who they signed in the summer from ajax

Blood Mage

He's an incredible finisher and it's just sad that every other area of his game is Championship standard.

city-puma

Reported to earn 60K per week. I don’t understand why the hell people here are so mad because we can’t move him out!

Last edited:

ti vu

I agree but ETH seems a bit too conservative for bold experiments. He is no Pep in terms of having the self-belief to play players purposefully out of position.
Weghorst no 10 despite never placed there before. Bruno was played as no 8, on left and right wing. Shaw left side center back. Lindelof midfield. McTominay was started as no 10 (moved back to DM in second half) last season away to Newcastle. Sancho started as no 10 against Barcelona at home. This pre season Sancho was used as no 9.

If anything ETH is a bit hipster with his out of position experiment. McTominay up top for some reason is being not considered, even when it's obvious that McTominay is a greater menace in the box with some mean finishing to boost than someone like Weghorst.

Stu Pearson

Scott’s introduction in to the first team was influenced by SAF who told Mourinho he deserved a chance.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Him hiding in games only adds to his dangerousness as a CF. Opponents didn't know he was playing and them boom, he appeared out of nowhere and scored a flying header. Opponents looked at him walking, thought he's not a danger and then boom, full sprint and smashed it into the top corner.

Oranges038

You can play 387 times for United and still be called a squad player.
Butt played those games over 12 or 13 seasons.
Be interesting to know how many he started, he made almost half as many appearances for Newcastle in half the time.

Delighted he scored the 2 goals. But he has been pretty much a nailed on starter for 5 seasons now, even Danny Murphy was saying on MOTD he should start more... off the back of 2 late goals.. totally ignoring the previous 5 years of mediocrity he's served up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Soucek is also a higher goalscoring midfielder who is better in the deeper areas than mctom. Hard to imagine McTom would start over Alvarez who they signed in the summer from ajax
I don't really think Soucek is that good nowadays compared to when he first turned up at West Ham. Just 2 prem goals last season and 5 the previous season.

Pretty sure there was an issue with him wanting a contract extension aswell which wasn't granted and he'll be 29 in a few months so feels like a smart upgrade for West Ham if McTominay wants to move there given he's younger and would have similar attacking output.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's obviously not.

He would be great for a mid-table Prem team (like West Ham)
Bit harsh on mid table. They've finished 6th and 7th in two of the last three seasons. Poor last year domestically but of course won in europe and that gives them another crack at the europa league and possibly CL qualification.

Would be a far better move for him than going to Palace or Fulham where 10th is the height of ambitions and not doing much in the cups either.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bit harsh on mid table. They've finished 6th and 7th in two of the last three seasons. Poor last year domestically but of course won in europe and that gives them another crack at the europa league and possibly CL qualification.

Would be a far better move for him than going to Palace or Fulham where 10th is the height of ambitions and not doing much in the cups either.
Ah but over the last 5 seasons their average position is... drum roll please... 10th!

Well 10.6 but that is a less interesting reveal...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I like him as a squad player, but he serves a very limited function. Someone said a bit like throwing the dice with Fellaini in the last 20 minutes or so to give us something different. I think that's it really, he doesn't work as a starter when he hides from the ball (which he does) and he's not good enough to play higher up the pitch instead of the others we have. But for Schmeichel now to come out and put the boot into ETH for looking to sell McTominay in the summer is pathetic. He should know the financial limitations we have and the bloated squad we are carrying.
An accurate summary. It's actually extremely hard to build a team that will make the most of his qualities, while hiding his deficiencies (unless you're the Scotland manager, up against the might of Cyprus)

If he's ok with being a squad player then he's a great attacking option on the bench. And we've been desperately short of them for ages.