2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Jeffthered

Once again good game and shows why he plays. There to give team balance at the same time as power, strenght and little bit of dirtyness.

Does enormous amount of work without people noticing it. That is ok with me. People will understand and watch him without prejudgemental eyes one day.
So you're happy with this quality of midfielder at Manchester United? After God knows how many years, you're happy with SMT as a starter for Manchester United?

I don't get it. Unless we want to be Everton. Or Palace.

InfiniteBoredom

Strange thing to say when he is no worse than this years £100+ Premier League midfielder signings.
I don’t even rate Rice that highly and he is comfortably the better player. The other is Enzo Fernandez and despite how shit Chelsea are doing, they will laugh you out of the room, so will any competent board, if you offer to trade McTominay for him.

Bobski

He will be out of the team when the results change. Until then, hold your nose.

People insisting we should have sold him, what, so we can make a permanent transfer for Amrabat? At least people wouldn't have to deal with the trauma of watching him.

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

So you're happy with this quality of midfielder at Manchester United? After God knows how many years, you're happy with SMT as a starter for Manchester United?

Yeah exactly this. Can’t believe some fans want us to be a mediocre mid table team. Quite staggering actually after so much evidence. Reminds me forcibly of when Fellani was regularly stinking up midfield. Astonishing just how far standards have fallen when people can be pleased to have the likes of McTomminey starting regularly in midfield because that’s what he does.

Remember the geese

He will be out of the team when the results change. Until then, hold your nose.

People insisting we should have sold him, what, so we can make a permanent transfer for Amrabat? At least people wouldn't have to deal with the trauma of watching him.
If we had sold McTominay, we would have signed a different midfielder to Amrabat.

Bobski

If we had sold McTominay, we would have signed a different midfielder to Amrabat.
And this mythical midfielder would have no doubt been significantly better than McT, in the same way that Donny, Sabitzer and Amrabat were so obviously better than what we had.

Will be happy when we can move on from him as a starter but there is no point in selling someone just for the sake of selling them. Whatever you think of his performances or the style of play the results have improved with him in the team and clearly Ten Hag has seen some value in him for this spell.

FerociousCorgis

im more impressed by the amount of excuses i see defending mctominay. We dont use him right, our other options are trash, it isnt certain we could bring in someone better, he scores for scotland, blah blah blah. Swear he has more excuses than positive qualities as a midfielder. I at least understand the idea of trying to fit someone like Bruno into a system that we should be playing, but holy hell man a complete nothing of a midfielder in Mctominay is not someone we should be going this hard for. Dude has one fecking positive quality- making a late run into the box to score (and even that is only what 3-4 times a season). At what point does that make him a starter for a supposed top club in the world?

Belisarius

Yes, that is the idea. We can't hang onto players who aren't good enough simply because we don't back ourselves to sign a competent replacement. How backwards is that?
How about we sign the replacement first and have him prove he can play better than Scottie the Scot and then we sell Mr. McTominay after we have the new guy already here.

Bobski

Yes, that is the idea. We can't hang onto players who aren't good enough simply because we don't back ourselves to sign a competent replacement. How backwards is that?
All right fair enough. It looked like it was Amrabat or no-one, and if that was the case we were better off keeping McT then selling him and outright buying Amrabat. Not sure we were capable of improving on the 15/20 mill people were happy to take for him.

Remember the geese

How about we sign the replacement first and have him prove he can play better than Scottie the Scot and then we sell Mr. McTominay after we have the new guy already here.
Sounds good in theory, but in the summer just gone, we needed McTominay's sale to fund his replacement. Things may be different now due to Ratcliffe being on board.

Remember the geese

All right fair enough. It looked like it was Amrabat or no-one, and if that was the case we were better off keeping McT then selling him and outright buying Amrabat. Not sure we were capable of improving on the 15/20 mill people were happy to take for him.
Yeah I never wanted us to sign Amrabat in the first place. I couldn't see the thinking behind it. I absolutely wanted us to sell McTominay though in order to fund a higher calibre of player.

90 + 5min

I'm not happy unless we start winning trophies. I don't look individually because it is team game. Right now, he is a useful member in the team and does a good silent work. Sadly that dosen't get any credit because of social media pressure and media darlings in newspapers. He doesn't fit the picture how footballer should look like.

We always had players that weren't world stars but did their job in a team. Great job. Even in Fergie days.

Must be something in it if you think he can be compared with Rice.
He is easily compared to him.

I don’t even rate Rice that highly and he is comfortably the better player. The other is Enzo Fernandez and despite how shit Chelsea are doing, they will laugh you out of the room, so will any competent board, if you offer to trade McTominay for him.
I don't agree with you. There are aspect of the game Rice is better. There are aspects of the game where McTominay is better. But I see them similar looking at qualities although they are different ones.

You can’t possibly mean Declan Rice :lol:
Must be Caicedo right? Right?
I mean both.

Please stop with this rubbish.
It is not. Watch the games.

Ludens the Red

I'm not happy unless we start winning trophies. I don't look individually because it is team game. Right now, he is a useful member in the team and does a good silent work. Sadly that dosen't get any credit because of social media pressure and media darlings in newspapers. He doesn't fit the picture how footballer should look like.

We always had players that weren't world stars but did their job in a team. Great job. Even in Fergie days.

I don't agree with you. There are aspect of the game Rice is better. There are aspects of the game where McTominay is better. But I see them similar looking at qualities although they are different ones.

I mean both.

It is not. Watch the games.
Mctominay most 100% definitely is not at the level of Rice and has not played anywhere near his level this season. Mctominay is average to mediocre in most games he plays. He is an anti central midfield player. Whereas Declan rice is mostly everything you’d want from a central midfield player. Very bizarre comments. I can only thing Declan Rice spat in your face or something.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You're right, he can be easily compared to him. The issue is the result of that comparison — he's worse or significantly worse in virtually every characteristic aside from goalscoring.

90 + 5min

Mctominay most 100% definitely is not at the level of Rice and has not played anywhere near his level this season. Mctominay is average to mediocre in most games he plays. He is an anti central midfield player. Whereas Declan rice is mostly everything you’d want from a central midfield player. Very bizarre comments. I can only thing Declan Rice spat in your face or something.
You're right, he can be easily compared to him. The issue is the result of that comparison — he's worse or significantly worse in virtually every characteristic aside from goalscoring.
I don’t like going for stats because eyes don’t lie but even if you look at official statistic you’ll see that McTominay is not worse. Just take into account minutes both played and you would be surprised.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Can you explain to me like I'm 5 what this silent work consists of and what it actually translates to on the pitch?

As for the bold part, who exactly is it that's holding back on giving Scott credit because of social media pressure and whatever the papers say?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Squad player, who needs coaching and also needs to grow up. He seems happy being an average player who scores a few goals a season. Doesn't seem interested in dominating a game, not at all. Isn't getting better. Just drifting through games, time He seems like a player who needs a huge amount of guidance.. that's all fine, but that's not the character or personality I associate with Manchester United first team players. He's like Darren Fletcher. Decent, love the club bla bla bla... but they aren't taking us anywhere.

Should have sold him. He isn't irreplaceable and there is too much sentiment about McTominay.
He is pretty much the exact opposite of Fletcher in most ways.

Fletch was hugely rated from a young age and had the talent, it was just largely his lack of physicality (fairly slow and weak) that led to him struggling in the first team for the first few years. Once he physically developed a bit he became a key player for 18 months, before it unfortunately came crashing down due to his illness.

Whereas basically the only thing that Scott brings is his physicality. Without that it's likely he never would have even made his first team debut for us.

I disagree. Fletcher was a decent player, but with a Scholes, Hargreaves, Carrick midfielder, Fletcher was a significant drop in quality. All about opinions, but you pick three from that four and I can guess who is left out.
Once Fletch developed he was comfortably better in central midfield than Hargreaves ever was for us. Hargreaves was best used out on the right and, other than a short period where we partnered him with Anderson, was quite disappointing when used in the centre.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don’t like going for stats because eyes don’t lie but even if you look at official statistic you’ll see that McTominay is not worse. Just take into account minutes both played and you would be surprised.
What is the "official statistic"? I'm new with this stuff

90 + 5min

Can you explain to me like I'm 5 what this silent work consists of and what it actually translates to on the pitch?

As for the bold part, who exactly is it that's holding back on giving Scott credit because of social media pressure and whatever the papers say?
In a team you always need different types of players. McTominay is a player that doesn't play to be in spotlight. Like some other players do. He does his work by giving team much needed power, strenght, little bit of dirtyness and so on. He is covering lot of space. He will not be in the team to have ball all the time. He dosen't need to have ball all the time. That is not his role in the team. He is no Scholes and never will be.

Social media is full of little kids where basic knowledge of football they have is about individual of the pitch. It is no coincidence that people change clubs who they support more often because they are just starstrucked. They follow people. Not sport. Those people usually don't understand football as whole and because they are lot of them in social media they will give you some illusion that what they say is right.

When it comes to "ordinary" papers we know how people treat ManUtd players. We sell and the more negative approch there is about us, they think it is better. If some players are lucky they will get more positive attention.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
In a team you always need different types of players. McTominay is a player that doesn't play to be in spotlight. Like some other players do. He does his work by giving team much needed power, strenght, little bit of dirtyness and so on. He is covering lot of space. He will not be in the team to have ball all the time. He dosen't need to have ball all the time. That is not his role in the team. He is no Scholes and never will be.

Social media is full of little kids where basic knowledge of football they have is about individual of the pitch. It is no coincidence that people change clubs who they support more often because they are just starstrucked. They follow people. Not sport. Those people usually don't understand football as whole and because they are lot of them in social media they will give you some illusion that what they say is right.

When it comes to "ordinary" papers we know how people treat ManUtd players. We sell and the more negative approch there is about us, they think it is better. If some players are lucky they will get more positive attention.
Yes we all know his qualities by now - athleticism, power, strength, energy, big United heart etc which all mean the exact same thing so all we seem to get out of that on the pitch is a player that covers a lot of space behind the scenes and regularly gives away free kicks in dangerous areas by being half a second too late every other challenge. Awesome. Give him the contract extension asap.

I'm not quite following you with this social media pressure thing either.. are you saying that kids on social media who know nothing about the game are putting pressure on everyone else to not give players like McTominay credit? I must have missed the part where all the mods on the caf are 11 years old and are secretly sending DM's threatening to ban anyone who says nice things in this thread.

90 + 5min

Yes we all know his qualities by now - athleticism, power, strength, energy, big United heart etc which all mean the exact same thing so all we seem to get out of that on the pitch is a player that covers a lot of space behind the scenes and regularly gives away free kicks in dangerous areas by being half a second too late every other challenge. Awesome. Give him the contract extension asap.

I'm not quite following you with this social media pressure thing either.. are you saying that kids on social media who know nothing about the game are putting pressure on everyone else to not give players like McTominay credit? I must have missed the part where all the mods on the caf are 11 years old and are secretly sending DM's threatening to ban anyone who says nice things in this thread.
Reputation. Social media. Narrative.

If we take for example Pogba. Average to poor player with few good games. He got reputation of being great football player because of social media. Nothing else. When it comes to McTominay it is pretty much other way around. Good player with bad reputation because of social media and also forums like this one.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I like him, like his attitude and he gets Utd. Unfortunately he's fecking shite which is a pretty big stumbling block to our team performances.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

If we take for example Pogba. Average to poor player with few good games. He got reputation of being great football player because of social media. Nothing else. When it comes to McTominay it is pretty much other way around. Good player with bad reputation because of social media and also forums like this one.
What a load of guff. Pogba was genuinely 10 times the player Mctominay is even in a Utd shirt.

Gordon S

Wait, people think Scott is bang average because of media narrative? Not because of what they see with their own eyes week in week out..?

FerociousCorgis

damn i didnt think id have to add Social Media as an excuse people are using for mctominay now. Geez the list keeps growing.

90 + 5min

No trolling here. Why should I?

What a load of guff. Pogba was genuinely 10 times the player Mctominay is even in a Utd shirt.
He had one good season. The rest was so poor that you could actually put a Nation League player to do same work.

Wait, people think Scott is bang average because of media narrative? Not because of what they see with their own eyes week in week out..?
And still big manager being here played him. Nobody sold him. I wonder why.

And, y'know, being a key player for a World Cup winning side.
Passenger. We all know who was key players and drove France to trophy.

90 + 5min

Guess you were living under a rock when Utd were open to selling him. He is a nothing player and is dispensible.
You can sell every player as long as other teams are willing to pay. Doesn't mean anything.

He is a important player for this team right now.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You can sell every player as long as other teams are willing to pay. Doesn't mean anything.

He is a important player for this team right now.
Because he is the only one available to play. A 19 year old plays better than him.

Swedish_Plumber

There were so many times the other night that he’d get the pass and was happy just to pass it straight back to a CB or Onana.

It’s particularly frustrating when he gets it from an incisive pass and actually has time to turn and go forward. He’s far too limited on the ball.